• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

The Flash

Banned
GWe8GBO.gif

Why teabag when you can do this?

2fFUzzd.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just like the theater/file share stuff from yesterday.
I missed this, I think. What happened?

Srs?

I genuinely can't tell...
Yeah -- why wouldn't I be? Is Over just making stuff up and I'm missing the joke? And while we're asking questions, why do you always put three extra line breaks between your paragraphs?

The new Halo book shipped out from Barnes and Noble on Friday. But they still haven't updated the shipping tracker so I don't know when it will be here. Cool beans.

jem0208

Yeah -- why wouldn't I be? Is Over just making stuff up and I'm missing the joke? And while we're asking questions, why do you always put three extra line breaks between your paragraphs?

Yup.

And I'm not really sure... I just always have done. I don't when writing essays or letters, it's only on forum posts. It's not always 3 though, sometimes it's 2. But it's almost never 1...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You can't save films in Halo 3's campaign and you can't mix and match armor in Halo 3 and 4, you are stuck with predefined armor sets.
Huh, that's weird that theater mode won't work for Halo 3's campaign. I wouldn't use it much, if ever, honestly, but it sucks for people who would. As long as theater works in MP, I'm happy. The armor sets thing is a bummer, but I don't really care about that either.

Yay, hype train going full steam.

Yup.

And I'm not really sure... I just always have done. I don't when writing essays or letters, it's only on forum posts. It's not always 3 though, sometimes it's 2. But it's almost never 1...
lol, well I'm gonna give you shit for it for forever. :p

But really, was Overdoziz's post a joke? I took it at face value.

jem0208

lol, well I'm gonna give you shit for it for forever. :p

But really, was Overdoziz's post a joke? I took it at face value.

Yeah, it was a parody of this post:

FWIW, I got a chance to play MCC and Halo 5 two weeks ago. I can't say much because of NDA (since we won a charity auction to play Halo 5, we were told we can talk about general things, but no specifics) - the MP in Halo 5 is my favorite. By a lot. It...currently rewards skilled play and teamwork more than any previous iteration. There are some very new badass tricks.

Also, the game looks sooooooooo good, Feels like a next-gen game.
FWIW, I got a chance to play a ten year ago game and this new exciting thing two weeks ago. I can't say much because of NDA (since we won a charity auction to play this new exciting thing while 343 employees rubbed our feet and fed us cupcakes, we were told we can talk about general things, but no specifics) - the MP in this new exciting game is my favorite. By a lot. It...currently rewards skilled play and teamwork more than any previous iteration. There are some very new badass tricks.

I think the "play this new exciting thing while 343 employees rubbed our feet and fed us cupcakes" kinda gave it away ;)

Also I think it's because I like having lots of spacing, I tend to write about a lot of different points, or reply to lots of different things in one post (like I am right now). So I tend to space the different replies out to make it more readable. I also use it as a kinda extended ellipsis. It's an extra pause for effect ;)

Madness

I missed this, I think. What happened?

“Note: Theater clips cannot be permanently saved to your File Share. We recommend streaming your games and using the Game DVR features to save your experiences.”

Campaign theater is cut and only multi-player matches have theater, and even then you can't record or save them using the internal theater, but you have to use the Xbox record/game DVR stuff. So file share of clips is out, ie. A wicked killtacular.

I haven't used the Xbox DVR stuff, but I said it last year I think that MS would try and force it on us instead of having it in game. It's the Google approach of strong arming consumers into using the services or products.

jem0208

Campaign theater is cut and only multi-player matches have theater, and even then you can't record or save them using the internal theater, but you have to use the Xbox record/game DVR stuff. So file share of clips is out, ie. A wicked killtacular.

I haven't used the Xbox DVR stuff, but I said it last year I think that MS would try and force it on us instead of having it in game. It's the Google approach of strong arming consumers into using the services or products.

The game DVR stuff is definitely perfectly capable for the needs of most people. It's also much, much easier to share clips from the DVR on the internet.

Those who are seriously into recording stuff and making montages etc. are going to be using proper recording equipment anyway.

So the lack of sharing films isn't too big of an issue, IMO.

The "Xbox; Record That" feature is going to be amazing for the MCC as well. There have been so many times when something awesome happened and I just couldn't be bothered to sit through an entire 15 minute match to find a 10 second clip.

King Leo

Neo Member
Is recording via Xbox inferior to theater mode aside from not being in-game? I got my Xbox One a few days ago and it was fairly easy for me to view gameplay clips via my Friend Feed. I noticed people can comment too. I'd imagine the Halo Channel will make things even more convenient.

jem0208

Is recording via Xbox inferior to theater mode aside from not being in-game? I got my Xbox One a few days ago and it was fairly easy for me to view gameplay clips via my Friend Feed. I noticed people can comment too. I'd imagine the Halo Channel will make things even more convenient.

The only real negatives are that you obviously can't move the camera angle and you won't be able to save entire games.

However it sounds like theatre still temporarily saves MP matches, so most of the problems are kinda moot.

I don't know if anyone remembers this but when Halo 2 was still being made there were rumors that elites would be able to climb walls or have a grappling hook.

It's been a long time and it's hard to remember but I think that was the rumor.
Halo needs a Grappling Hook. It would be a map pickup and would take up one of your weapon slots, trading offense for maneuverability around the map. Maybe something like 5 grapples before depletion.
Halo 3 : slayer on Guardian
Halo 3 multiplayer is the first thing you're going to play? Who are you?
Even Halo CE feels better.
0 /
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png

I'm looking at you FUNKNOWN and Ryn
PEl4ma8.png

Bro! It's gonna be an adventure!!
lmfao funny shit man.. CliQ's piQ has me rolling. Color me excited ;]
FWIW, I got a chance to play a ten year ago game and this new exciting thing two weeks ago. I can't say much because of NDA (since we won a charity auction to play this new exciting thing while 343 employees rubbed our feet and fed us cupcakes, we were told we can talk about general things, but no specifics) - the MP in this new exciting game is my favorite. By a lot. It...currently rewards skilled play and teamwork more than any previous iteration. There are some very new badass tricks.

Wink if we have a formidable Pistol this time around.

CyReN

We deal with a lot of clips and gameplays for Top 5, commentaries and montages. It's really a blow to us, expected though with this generation just leaving it up to the recording feature.

Some background with Jazzy that does them:
Well for example when I work on top 5, I watch every single clip. When every single clip is a 15 minute game, it's gonna take a while. The same thing happens with montages and if they decide to go back and get an angle, that's another 10-15 minutes they have to fast forward though. When you're going through a large number of clips this will be extremely time consuming. Capturing will take longer than editing sometimes.

JonCha

Bought the Sunset Overdrive bundle and CoD came with it too, so I'm gonna trade that in, get about £35, use my £20-off voucher on Amazon and buy the Collection for just over £19 so I'm pretty happy with that.

As for those supposed H5 alpha/beta impressions ... I'm trying not to get excited.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo 3 multiplayer is the first thing you're going to play? Who are you?
I'm actually thinking about doing the same just because I think it'll be the best game for me to gauge all the new improvements -- especially dedicated servers. I know the game well and have played it online a ton, so it should be easy for me to notice differences.

Then I'll probably play a ton of CE and H2A.

Madness

The game DVR stuff is definitely perfectly capable for the needs of most people. It's also much, much easier to share clips from the DVR on the internet.

Those who are seriously into recording stuff and making montages etc. are going to be using proper recording equipment anyway.

So the lack of sharing films isn't too big of an issue, IMO.

The "Xbox; Record That" feature is going to be amazing for the MCC as well. There have been so many times when something awesome happened and I just couldn't be bothered to sit through an entire 15 minute match to find a 10 second clip.

Except for the millions of people who will have bought new Xbox One's these past few months without Kinect, so I doubt Xbox, Record That would be amazing for them.

Also, damn man, it's not about being capable for most people, it's being worse than what was before. I don't want whole matches automatically recorded. I want to quickly go into theater, record a simple 15 triple kill headshot snipe with a different angle all while in game, rename it, and then upload that to file share to show friends. It's a million times better doing that all in game as opposed to the overarching Xbox Game DVR. We're literally going backwards from the past games here.

Plus there is no campaign theater or file share for them. Think about that.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
FYI, XboxClips has a "Search by Gamertag" feature, and it pulls new videos almost instantly.

Great way to link to your DVR vids outside of the Xbox site.

They have a filter for "Auto-Generated" and "User-Generated" videos as well. So you don't have to dredge through all those 30-second bullshit clips.

IHaveIce

Banned
The Game DVR stuff works perfectly for me without using the kinect for it. I can also record a small clip with it after I saved the whole game, and having it directly out of the game also means no stupid rendering or stuff to get it on yt

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
FYI, XboxClips has a "Search by Gamertag" feature, and it pulls new videos almost instantly.

Great way to link to your DVR vids outside of the Xbox site.
Stuff like this is gonna be sadly important to Halo fans in the coming years, I think. With how much we're getting with the MCC I'm not too upset about some things getting cut, but I hope full theater / file share functionality returns with Halo 5.

Granadier

Stuff like this is gonna be sadly important to Halo fans in the coming years, I think. With how much we're getting with the MCC I'm not too upset about some things getting cut, but I hope full theater / file share functionality returns with Halo 5.

Indeed. MMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIXXXXXX, this link should probably be in the OT.

DVR wise though, maybe they will have some improvements for the MCC version. After looking up my tag's videos I just noticed that Forza Horizon 2 actually names the clips it auto records, and after ~10 hours of gameplay it's only auto-recorded two clips.

So maybe there is some hope!

I'm actually thinking about doing the same just because I think it'll be the best game for me to gauge all the new improvements -- especially dedicated servers. I know the game well and have played it online a ton, so it should be easy for me to notice differences.

Then I'll probably play a ton of CE and H2A.
Ironically enough, I always found Halo 3 as a good warmup game when I would go back to CE or Halo 2 after. Now that all games are instantly at our fingertips, I might do the same sometimes.

Halo 3 is essentially the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
Except for the millions of people who will have bought new Xbox One's these past few months without Kinect, so I doubt Xbox, Record That would be amazing for them.
You can now double tap the guide button and press X to "Record That" without a Kinect.

Granadier

I wonder if Halo 2A will ship with some premade Forge maps, perhaps other Halo 2 maps that didn't make the remake cut.

Give me a day and you'll have Halo: Facing Worlds. If that's your thing.

Hopefully 343 increases community involvement though and releases community map playlists like Bungie did for Reach. That led to some really great maps.

Karl2177

I don't know a single person who loves the Vidmaster achievements. All of my decades long friends did them to get Recon and nothing else. I never did them because I didn't care enough to put myself through that.

The question isn't about achievements being hard. The achievement is what it is. The point is, your jimmies are being rustled because someone will be able to use skulls to get the achievements whereas you'd prefer to do them without. There is nothing preventing you from getting the achievements without them. What does it really matter to you if someone else got the achievement in a less than ideal way? What about the hundreds of other times someone has boosted, glitched or cheesed an achievement that you did legitimately?

Edit: Then again, achievements mean something different for us all. So who am I to say how meaningful something is to you or others.

The Vidmasters were great achievements. They all got the player to play differently without it affecting other people's games. The only one I didn't like was Endure, simply because of the netcode. It would have been great if we could get it for an offline game, but they needed a way to verify it for Recon.

jem0208

Also, damn man, it's not about being capable for most people, it's being worse than what was before. I don't want whole matches automatically recorded. I want to quickly go into theater, record a simple 15 triple kill headshot snipe with a different angle all while in game, rename it, and then upload that to file share to show friends. It's a million times better doing that all in game as opposed to the overarching Xbox Game DVR. We're literally going backwards from the past games here.

Plus there is no campaign theater or file share for them. Think about that.
Double tap Xbox button and press X, same functionality without Kinect. Takes about 1 second.

In some ways it's better though. Like I said earlier, it's far, far easier to share over the internet than before. You can save a clip without slogging through a 15 minute match in theatre. You can also still use theatre to grab a different angle for your triple headshot snipe. Except this time you record it by using "Xbox, Record that" (or as above) rather than the built in record.

It would be better if both options were available though.

However I do agree the lack of campaign theatre sucks.

343 Pro team confirmed competing at Halofest? :D

I thought that had already been confirmed... Or am I making things up?

Madness

Because people enjoy complaining.

Yeah because being promised 60FPS and then finding out many of the games stutter, have dropped frames is complaining right? I hate complaining as much as the next guy, but people have valid points. The frame rate issues is something almost every reviewer brought up, and now we know it's not how the videos have been encoded or uploaded.

Top Bottom