• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

rrc1594

Yeah because being promised 60FPS and then finding out many of the games stutter, have dropped frames is complaining right? I hate complaining as much as the next guy, but people have valid points. The frame rate issues is something almost every reviewer brought up, and now we know it's not how the videos have been encoded or uploaded.

How bad is it?

VinFTW

Yeah because being promised 60FPS and then finding out many of the games stutter, have dropped frames is complaining right? I hate complaining as much as the next guy, but people have valid points. The frame rate issues is something almost every reviewer brought up, and now we know it's not how the videos have been encoded or uploaded.

Frame rate "issues".

5 or so frames dropped does not equate to frame-rate "issues". The drop to 40 was solely because of the loading stutter, which is in mostly every Halo game.

Hell, even tLou:R had drops to the 40's, but I don't consider those FR "issues".

These are a minor inconvenience at best, so stop over dramatizing it.

This collection, for what it's doing, is a technical marvel and if the MP stays at a locked 60, then I couldn't really care less about a few dropped frames in the SP.

danwarb

Only CE has the cinematic stutter. There are brief pauses at checkpoints and occasional lost frames in the others, but no stutter.

Look at the Gamersyde gameplay videos. It's fine.

Korosenai

Is there a source that someone could link to confirming when the preorder skulls for halo master chief collection are coming out for everyone?

Also, are they going to be a free download? My friend keeps telling me that they're gonna be $10, when i'm pretty sure I remember reading that they are going to be free.

Random thought, but when they announced the Halo TV series produced by Spielberg they were fairly vague about how and where it would air. I know Xbox's TV branch is essentially dead, and the Halo series wasn't moving nearly as fast as expected, but assuming it isn't dead.. do you think they will debut the series on Netflix? It seems like something Netflix would possibly attach themselves to, and would likely be great for the series (unless they go for a cable network).

Random thought, but when they announced the Halo TV series produced by Spielberg they were fairly vague about how and where it would air. I know Xbox's TV branch is essentially dead, and the Halo series wasn't moving nearly as fast as expected, but assuming it isn't dead.. do you think they will debut the series on Netflix? It seems like something Netflix would possibly attach themselves to, and would likely be great for the series (unless they go for a cable network).
Xbox Video and Halo Channel.

Japarican

Banned
Forgot we need to find the skulls to use them, completely flew over my head. I read on xboxachievements.com that the guide writer is done for Halo MCC, and is waiting till release. He said he has 100+pages on it

TheOddOne

Showtime confirmed a while ago that they were working on the project.
Nevins confirmed that the TV series adaptation of Halo is still on track despite Microsoft’s announcement yesterday that it would shut down its XBox Entertainment Studios division, which was to develop and produce the series with Amblin TV in partnership with Showtime.
Maybe plans changed, but that is the only thing we have so far.

iMax

Xbox Video and Halo Channel.

...and Showtime.

I know it's 'just' a collection of remakes, but I am surprised I haven't seen any commercials advertising MCC for Xbox One.

Showtime confirmed a while ago that they were working on the project.

Maybe plans changed, but that is the only thing we have so far.

Ah, I forgot about that. Hopefully the project happens, it'll be really cool to see Halo get the big budget, live-action treatment.

Probably Xbox Video and the Halo Channel. Maybe Netflix at a later date, though.

And yeah, it's confirmed to still be alive.

Madness

Frame rate "issues".

5 or so frames dropped does not equate to frame-rate "issues". The drop to 40 was solely because of the loading stutter, which is in mostly every Halo game.

Hell, even tLou:R had drops to the 40's, but I don't consider those FR "issues".

These are a minor inconvenience at best, so stop over dramatizing it.

This collection, for what it's doing, is a technical marvel and if the MP stays at a locked 60, then I couldn't really care less about a few dropped frames in the SP.

Why would you bring up last of us? Keep that console fanboy shit on gaming side. This is about MCC only. I'm just saying, we don't even know the full extent of the frame drops. All the campaign missions, all the co-op, split screen and multi-player.

Just because it's a minor inconvenience to you doesn't invalidate it being something bigger to others. It's cool if fluctuating frame rates or drops is something you couldn't care less about, for me, I'd prefer locked 60FPS almost 99.9% of the time.

VinFTW

Why would you bring up last of us? Keep that console fanboy shit on gaming side. This is about MCC only. I'm just saying, we don't even know the full extent of the frame drops. All the campaign missions, all the co-op, split screen and multi-player.

Just because it's a minor inconvenience to you doesn't invalidate it being something bigger to others. It's cool if fluctuating frame rates or drops is something you couldn't care less about, for me, I'd prefer locked 60FPS almost 99.9% of the time.

I brought up tLoU because despite the fluctuating frame-rate here and there, it was a super smooth experience.

If you prefer a locked 60FPS and fluctuations as small as these are a major issue for you, then you shouldn't be gaming on a console.

This is probably as good as it gets in a situation like this.

Also, me and fanboy = lol

Man, it's irritating how quick some people are to pull the fanboy card.

Ein Bear

One more week... The hype is bubbling over!

Are there many UK people here? Would be great to get some games going on launch day.

CliQ

I'm pretty sure everyone would prefer locked 60 frames. Not sure if you were trolling but he wasn't bringing up "fanboy shit" by comparing another game that was also remastered. The Last of Us Remastered is almost an identical situation to where the frames drop/dip below 60.

Having locked 60 frames is pretty difficult (not impossible) to do unless you are running on some pretty decent PC hardware. There are a lot of moving parts trying to get a game frame locked that high let alone four.

The game runs at or around 60 frames. I'd call that a success.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Are there many UK people here? Would be great to get some games going on launch day.
I'm not in the UK, but I'm always down to play. My GT = kittens dx.

On a related note, I'm sooooo glad 343 integrated the active roster into the main menus again. Having it hidden behind the X button (or whatever it was) in Halo 4 seemed like a small thing, but it really was a hassle. And having everyone's name plate match the color of their armor is really helpful for quick skimming, too.

Madness

I brought up tLoU because despite the fluctuating frame-rate here and there, it was a super smooth experience.

If you prefer a locked 60FPS and fluctuations as small as these are a major issue for you, then you shouldn't be gaming on a console.

This is probably as good as it gets in a situation like this.

Also, me and fanboy = lol

Man, it's irritating how quick some people are to pull the fanboy card.

Just saying, it was brought up in the other thread and I don't want to read it here like "Last of Us also has the same problems etc".

It's not about consoles or anything. The one thing they promised us was 60FPS, and it seems like they couldn't really achieve that. I couldn't care less about frame rates man. I've played games that went sub 20 at times. Hell I even enjoyed Halo 4 split screen sometimes when it would really chug or be unplayable. I just have an issue when something is promised and not really delivered. I don't consider fluctuations and drops to be rock solid 60FPS.

Either way, don't really want to argue about it anymore. It's all semantics, I think I'm just being salty for no reason.

jem0208

I'm in the UK.

I asked this a few pages back and got quite a few responses so there should be a fair amount of people.

My GT is iL MeanBean Li if people want to play sometime.

Vidmaster was enjoyable. Hell, even Endure was, 2 hour in connection drop frustration included.

Edit: He said, replying to a post 40 posts previous.

Ein Bear

I'm not in the UK, but I'm always down to play. My GT = kittens dx

I'm in the UK.

I asked this a few pages back and got quite a few responses so there should be a fair amount of people.

Awesome!

Just added you both. My gamertag is CastleDoomstadt if anyone else fancies playing some MCC :)

...Though I'm throughly expecting to be absolutely terrible compared to HaloGAF.

jem0208

Xbox.com isn't giving me any results for that GT, weird.

Really?

This is my account https://account.xbox.com/en-GB/Profile?gamerTag=il meanbean li

Oh shit, I put a space between the Mean and Bean.

It's meant to be iL MeanBean Li

Awesome!

Just added you both. My gamertag is CastleDoomstadt if anyone else fancies playing some MCC :)

...Though I'm throughly expecting to be absolutely terrible compared to HaloGAF.

This means you've probably added the wrong person btw :p

-Ryn

Banned
Halo needs a Grappling Hook. It would be a map pickup and would take up one of your weapon slots, trading offense for maneuverability around the map. Maybe something like 5 grapples before depletion.

lmfao funny shit man.. CliQ's piQ has me rolling. Color me excited ;]
Everything is better with grappling hooks. Fact.

He's flying on the wings of radiation.
I can't wait to play the MCC with you guys. It's gonna be a blast to the past and when the Beta rolls around... oh the fun we will have.
I just remembered the Generator Defense gametype that never made it to the full game in Reach. Would really love to see a return of that.

bean-dance.gif

Am I doing it right?
That movie was amazing

Fuchsdh

Just saying, it was brought up in the other thread and I don't want to read it here like "Last of Us also has the same problems etc".

It's not about consoles or anything. The one thing they promised us was 60FPS, and it seems like they couldn't really achieve that. I couldn't care less about frame rates man. I've played games that went sub 20 at times. Hell I even enjoyed Halo 4 split screen sometimes when it would really chug or be unplayable. I just have an issue when something is promised and not really delivered. I don't consider fluctuations and drops to be rock solid 60FPS.

Either way, don't really want to argue about it anymore. It's all semantics, I think I'm just being salty for no reason.

Your definition of "delivered" seems far outside the mean of actual real-world performance. Even longtime 60fps series like CoD regularly nosedive into the 40fps range when lots of action is happening on-screen. 99 or 100% stable frame rate simply doesn't happen with console games. With the series going to 60fps, even the same amount of frame rate drops from previous Halos will be less noticeable, since 10 or 20% of 60 is less than 10-20% of 30.

CliQ

Being so close to the launch of MCC I thought I would share my friend's Warthog montage from Halo 3. It's very exciting and all clips are from matchmaking (no prestaged stuff). I've shared this here before but I want to get everyone pumped up for some Halo!

This guy is the best Warthog driver I have ever known and a good friend of mine. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xY3JzushXk

Your definition of "delivered" seems far outside the mean of actual real-world performance. Even longtime 60fps series like CoD regularly nosedive into the 40fps range when lots of action is happening on-screen. 99 or 100% stable frame rate simply doesn't happen with console games. With the series going to 60fps, even the same amount of frame rate drops from previous Halos will be less noticeable, since 10 or 20% of 60 is less than 10-20% of 30.

Nintendo says hi.

blamite

The Vidmasters were great achievements. They all got the player to play differently without it affecting other people's games. The only one I didn't like was Endure, simply because of the netcode. It would have been great if we could get it for an offline game, but they needed a way to verify it for Recon.

Annual was one of the most fun video game experiences I've ever had. Deja Vu was close. Endure was a giant pain in the ass but still fun to do with friends.

The Vidmasters are a large part of why I see Halo 3 as the best ever overall Halo experience, even though H2 is easily the better game from a pure gameplay perspective.

Not sure if this has been patched since then though.

It was patched, and Mario 3D World is a perfect 60.

Anyways it will be interesting to see what 343 can do with the Xbone hardware when using an engine optimized and built for the hardware instead of trying to make engines that are CPU bound work on a console that is more GPU heavy.

I totally know what you meant, but that's not how math works :p

Top Bottom