• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Omni

This been talked about? Original
dRzhFfH.jpg
Halo MCC version

Eh? Looks like they've messed up the lighting. I wonder what is going on here.

senador

Banned
That's what I thought too but look at when he zooms in. He slows down which was never in halo before. This pretty much confirms it being ADS

I don't believe that the shitty quality video was long enough during that point to signify it either way. It's worrisome for sure. I'm probably grasping at straws because I find it hard to believe they'd actually go full ADS after all their talk. It's be such a big "fuck you." I'm prepared for that to be the case though and won't be surprised.

Why I am 90% sure this is just a visual change of the zoom-view and not ads like you think it is:

When moving, reticule is small and shows you can shoot accurate:

a15Jlq0.png

When shooting, reticule is small and shows you can shoot accurate: (stays exactly the same)
qYIihjy.png

When zooming in, the only difference is the actual zoom - just like it always was:
MW3GOna.png

Movement of the player stayed the game. Zoom is there instantly on button press (no animation).

Maybe I'm wrong. And I will be sad if I'm wrong here. But right now I clearly think this is just a visual change of the zoom view.

Alright, that's much better.

Either way this also confirms (most likely) that even if everyone spawns with the same gun they can probably pick different sights. I would dislike that immensely.

Eh. If it's purely cosmetic, then w/e. I've got no beef.

btags

The one thing that is amazing is that people actually said it will have ADS when they saw the scopeless BR and we had the same slurpers try and say, no it won't don't overreact.

Now we have ADS gameplay, and people are still trying to say, maybe it'll be an animation only, maybe it won't affect etc. Do you literally have to be beaten over the head with something before you accept it? Why be obtuse. Halo 5 will have ADS and Sprint. If you look at the video, he does slow ever so slightly before firing and aiming. Then he does some weird dash thing into the sprint.

I am not dumb. There is the very real possibility that Halo now has CoD style ADS and Halo already had sprint (whether or not you think the games with sprint were good, it was already present). If the former is true, that sucks. Regardless of this fact, I would much rather be optimistic and hope for the best than have a completely cynical attitude about the future of Halo.

Why I am 90% sure this is just a visual change of the zoom-view and not ads like you think it is:

a15Jlq0.png

When shooting, reticule is small and shows you can shoot accurate: (stays exactly the same)
qYIihjy.png

When zooming in, the only difference is the actual zoom - just like it always was:
MW3GOna.png

Movement of the player stayed the game. Zoom is there instantly on button press (no animation).

Maybe I'm wrong. And I will be sad if I'm wrong here. But right now I clearly think this is just a visual change of the zoom view.

I hope this theory is correct. Either way we'll find out soon enough.

wwm0nkey

We are not going to start the witch hunt stuff are we? Sage and Josh didn't deserve it for Reach or 4. A game is a big team effort not just one persons

senador

Banned
The one thing that is amazing is that people actually said it will have ADS when they saw the scopeless BR and we had the same slurpers try and say, no it won't don't overreact.

Now we have ADS gameplay, and people are still trying to say, maybe it'll be an animation only, maybe it won't affect etc. Do you literally have to be beaten over the head with something before you accept it? Why be obtuse. Halo 5 will have ADS and Sprint. If you look at the video, he does slow ever so slightly before firing and aiming. Then he does some weird dash thing into the sprint.

Because even with this video it's speculation? YOU stop being obtuse. It could be the case that the game for sure has ADS but until that's actually confirmed, you are not right.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
All you hardcore Halo fans are a weird bunch. I don't envy the position 343 is in, or Bungie was in at the end.

Make even the smallest changes, and your biggest "fans" scream and howl.

Don't make changes, and you're stuck with a stale, old-feeling product.

The rule seems to be "older is always better." The old maps were better than the new. No armor abilities > armor abilities. Old weapons better than the new weapons. I'm not the world's biggest Halo fan, with "only" a 2000-3000 multiplayer games played, but I actually liked the DMR more than the BR. Does that make me a heretic? Am I entitled to that opinion?

343 is boxed into a corner by their fans that all have different opinions on what "Halo" is and will throw tantrums if the studio deviates from that in the slightest.

a15Jlq0.png

qYIihjy.png

MW3GOna.png

In a world where man must choose between ADS and this. I choose this.

TheXbox

All you hardcore Halo fans are a weird bunch. I don't envy the position 343 is in, or Bungie was in at the end.

The rule seems to be "older is always better." The old maps were better than the new. No armor abilities > armor abilities. Old weapons better than the new weapons. I'm not the world's biggest Halo fan, with "only" a 2000-3000 multiplayer games played, but I actually liked the DMR more than the BR. Does that make me a heretic? Am I entitled to that opinion?

343 is boxed into a corner by their fans that all have different opinions on what "Halo" is and will throw tantrums if the studio deviates from that in the slightest.
yeah, us fucking weirdos, not wanting our favorite series to literally become COD

jem0208

Why you're wrong:

Zooming in previous Halos actually was a zoom, here there's barely any zoom at all...

It's CoD ADS.

Can we stop assuming things. Especially when the evidence you're basing this off actually implies the opposite.

We get footage tomorrow. If there's ADS in that then let the salt flow.

Classic zoom > This >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ADS

ADS is genuinely bad. It slows the game down, completely ruins a core component of Halo by reducing accuracy whilst moving. In no way is ADS bad because it's not classic.

tootsi666

Yeah. I'm a horrible person because I want devs of my favourite series to innovate the series, not transform it to CoD.

Look, I agree with you in the general case. People are overly prickly about change in this community, and that's a problem.

This is not people being overly prickly. Sprint and ADS change Halo from a "run & gun" game into a "run OR gun" game. Entirely different on a fundamental level. That's not a natural evelotion or a possible improvement, that's just bad. It's sacrificing what makes Halo, Halo, in favor of chasing an audience that simply doesn't exist.

Now, maybe this'll all turn out to be nothing, and the ADS we see in the video is purely cosmetic, and people will look rather silly tomorrow. But maybe it'll be just what people are worried about, and then I think they've got a right to be upset.

VinFTW

Can we stop assuming things. Especially when the evidence you're basing this off actually implies the opposite.

We get footage tomorrow. If there's ADS in that then let the salt flow.

Dude, we HAVE FUCKING FOOTAGE.

There is like, NO zoom.

It's ADS. I know it's hard to admit, but its CoD ads.

Seriously, I'm sorry... but it's ADS like in CoD.

EDIT:
What? I just showed you that it definitely -zooms- in. Just look at the screens to the objects leftv and right. Your hyperbole is awkward.

I'm too angry to explain it well: Compare the zoom from old BRs with this one, it's barely any zoom in comparison.

Dude, it definitely zooms. Not a ton, but it's definitely noticeable.

See above (my edit).

klodeckel

Banned
Why you're wrong:

Zooming in previous Halos actually was a zoom, here there's barely any zoom at all...

It's CoD ADS.

What? I just showed you that it definitely -zooms- in. Just look at the screens to the objects leftv and right. Your hyperbole is awkward.

Jesus fucking christ.

One step forward and 5 steps back.

What the fuck are they doing?

No wonder frank high tailed it outta here.

Fuck sprint and ADS.

Watch Halo 5 sell lots and then fall off the map akin to Halo 4.

They've learned nothing.

Rip in pieces.

Welfare

So we should just submit to our favorite franchise turning into something we have stated multiple times we don't want it to turn into?

btags

Dude, we HAVE FUCKING FOOTAGE.

There is like, NO zoom.

It's ADS. I know it's hard to admit, but its CoD ads.

Seriously, I'm sorry... but it's ADS like in CoD.

As the other guy said, this clearly zooms, but even if it didn't what is your point. ADS results in a zoom of some sort in 99% of the games that have it, including call of duty.

There's a difference between innovating what you have and just copying stuff others have. Because the latter has always worked well in the past, right?

IHaveIce

Banned
Will remain cautious.

Though real ADS has nothing to be in Halo. End.

Visionary ADS is change for the sake of change and to appeal to CoD players. Unneeded.

Ampoc

Neo Member
Yeah, to be honest, freaking out is unreasonable. I'm more upset over Sprint than ADS. Worst ADS does is block a small portion of your screen, which barely matters IMO.

Let's wait to see some actual footage tomorrow, then we should run around yelling.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Alright I am upset at that image. The the obvious reasons why:

1. ADS
2. Sprint

Halo for me has always and will always be about fast paced 4v4 combat in small maps. Midship FFA Midship 4v4 KOTH, Ball, Bomb, Lockout 1v1's Lockout FFAs Lockout 4v4 Oddball and KOTH. Et cetera. Watching MLG streams of competitive pros playing on weekends. Getting on and trying to rank up as high as I can go the rest of the week. The best part of Halo was there was always that distinct jump where you could go over to the BTB playlist and play 8v8 on huge maps with crazy unbalanced vehicles and social game and play with the dirty plebian uncleansed social zombie kids, if you maybe weren't playing that well or feeling competitive that day. I think during the split of Halo 2 and more perfectized Halo 3 split of Rank/Social they began to see maybe people weren't playing ranked as much. Of course with a ranking system that is going to happen you get your number high, you don't want to go into the next match until you've got your 3 other teammates ready to go and warmed up. This leads to a lot of social play. I think they saw this and even further bastardized the system in Halo Reach. Adding just one Arena playlist and having everything else social playlists. Of course the playlist management was atrocious for Arena and did not give the competitive players what they wanted for months and months only to be partially fixed later on. This led to a quick death of the Arena. So in Halo 4 guess what, game didnt even have a ranking system. Everything was social, the game copied so much from Call of Duty it basically was CoD in space. Well we all know what happened to the population charts in Halo 4. Dead game is dead.

When you add Sprint and more movement options available the maps have to start to accommodate that movement type. It leads to larger maps and longer corridors larger rooms and larger gaps between cover. This means if you ever are to take the Sprint out the maps no longer really "work" with the traditional movement. The addition of Sprint also sometimes means a hit to the default movement speed as well which means a slower game and Sprint usually kills strafing an ability that some of the best pros worked to really master a way to move out of shots ways while still understanding how to remain on the enemy player in terms of shots. This casualizes the game. It also makes it closer to CoD or other games that are already doing their type of FPS incredibly well. So its no surprise when games like Reach and Halo 4 statistically don't do so well when they try and be the new CoD.

Halo fans have and will always know what they want and that is Halo, They want their gun to be up and ready the entire game ready to enjoy their next 10 second loop of gun battle they want that precise moment when they know the player that showed up on their screen had the same weapon the same armor the same abilities and the thing that stood between his life and his death was how well THEY handled their controller. Their thoughts and their skill alone created victory and the rush of endorphins hits the brain and all is well. That is the moment a Halo player fiends for, craves. This is why MCC is such a wet dream to the Halo player, were going to be once again playing these games from the past that hit the formula just right or close enough that their games flaws can be overlooked. Surely you can point to a 101 errors, glitches, bugs in any Halo. However the fans loved the rush, the arena combat, saying I AM BETTER THAN YOU only by action, well sometimes with words, and so they overlooked these blemishes to the point Halo is a perfect game for some of these players.

We don't want AIM DOWN SCOPE, WE DONT WANT SPRINT, We do want social playlists but we dont want it at the cost of our ranking system! LET THEM KNOW!

Give us our Halo back akin to CE, 2, and 3. We do not want what you are feeding us lately. I urge all of you to play MCC, and if Halo 5 does add all this garbage please go back to MCC do not even touch 5 at all. Sell it back to the game store, mail it back to 343i with a No thanks letter attached, speak with actions, do not give in to an industry giant and the movement of which its going.

Anyways, I guess I got carried away. I feel strongly for these games. If anyone read that thanks!

Hire Juices

Bravo Juices.

rDIQpV8.gif

The people rationalising this and thinking that's acceptable must have never played Halo in its prime.

The guys in this thread have given detailed explanations of why these mechanics break Halo.

At least I bought an Xbox One just for Halo 2 classic.

Thanks 343

Look, I agree with you in the general case. People are overly prickly about change in this community, and that's a problem.

This is not people being overly prickly. Sprint and ADS change Halo from a "run & gun" game into a "run OR gun" game. Entirely different on a fundamental level. That's not a natural evelotion or a possible improvement, that's just bad. It's sacrificing what makes Halo, Halo, in favor of chasing an audience that simply doesn't exist.

Now, maybe this'll all turn out to be nothing, and the ADS we see in the video is purely cosmetic, and people will look rather silly tomorrow. But maybe it'll be just what people are worried about, and then I think they've got a right to be upset.

How is it cosmetic when he is shooting from it? Lets not be in denial people.

Bravo Juices.

rDIQpV8.gif

That was a really excellent post. Communicates the problems without resorting to hyperbole or unnecessary rudeness. Bravo Juices indeed.

Hell, hire Juices.

How is it cosmetic when he is shooting from it? Lets not be in denial people.

It'd be cosmetic in the sense that instead of just being a reticle, you'd see the sights as well. As long as it doesn't slow down the player, or gimp hip fire accuracy... I can live with it. Not happy about it, but it's not the end of the world.

Unless it actually is COD-style ADS, in which case it kind of is the end of the world.

Top Bottom