• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Sai-kun

Banned
CoD is not "Run and Gun". CoD is the opposite of Run and Gun. If you want to fire at full accuracy you have to stop moving, go prone, and aim down sights. In Halo, you keep full accuracy no matter how fast you are moving. That is Run and Gun.

That's why he said run *or* gun :p

Saw the footage just a little while ago. :( so sad. Hi, briefly, halogaf.

TheOddOne

Fuck this.

1xcoup.gif

Fuck this.

Run OR gun

That's exactly how Sprint and ADS change gameplay and that flies directly in the face of Halo's core experience.

Sprint - choose between full speed or being able to fire, not run and gun

ADS - choose between full speed or being able to fire accurately, not run and gun

Halo fans aren't averse to any and all changes, just ones that contradict the core experience.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I knew they were looking to replace Chief. Palmer was gonna be it but the universally negative reaction to her made them go in another direction.

senador

Banned
If it's actually ADS, legit ADS, then fuck us. MCC must be a "we've got MCC for you" thing. We must be a statistic, a much smaller one than The ADS crowd. One that it makes more sense to ignore for bigger sales. I can't think of any other reason. You can't sell me on ADS. Not for Halo. Not ever. Just nope. I'll always buy for campaign so I guess you got me.

And if Locke is really primary character? No words.

tootsi666

That's exactly how Sprint and ADS change gameplay and that flies directly in the face of Halo's core experience.

Sprint - choose between full speed or being able to fire, not run and gun

ADS - choose between full speed or being able to fire accurately, not run and gun

Halo fans aren't averse to any and all changes, just ones that contradict the core experience.
So, exactly what I already said?

BigShow36

So how did all the pro's that 343 hired allow this to happen?

Maybe because most of them are pros in shitty Halo games? Players who grow up with Sprint and a lack of individual skill probably aren't going to have the knowledge or the conviction to make a solid, old-school Halo game. Expecting them to have any meaningful impact on the direction of future Halo games is foolish.

Also, everyone who says, "If we just give solid, constructive feedback 343 will listen!" are kidding themselves. The exact same thing has been said for literally every Halo game since Halo 2. Halo developers don't listen to players like us, they never have and they never will. Its just the nature of the beast. No matter how much they say they're "listening to us," they really aren't. Its time to be honest with yourselves; any Beta "feedback" any of us give is going to be completely irrelevant.

I'm actually going to withhold judgement until we get more solid footage, because the only thing that really impacts the game for me is going to be how difficult it is to land shots. Everything else follows from there. With the current footage, all we know is that they're making some poor design decisions that could turn out alright depending on how they are implemented.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
yet as a 'journalist' you will abide by whatever the dev or studio says. its how IGN works.

You have it backwards. When journalists gives Alien: Isolation a 5.9, they catch far more hell from places like NeoGAF than any amount of pressure they've ever felt from a publisher. That + Destiny + Korra + NBA Live + any other number of reviews won't sway people like you that are sure you think we're evaluating games based on anything other than the quality of the game. So why should I bother trying to convince you?

People project their own biases onto high-profile game writers. I've been labeled a "well known" fanboy for all three consoles, based on whatever opinion I happened to state on that week's show. The irony is always lost on the accusers.

Do you want to know a secret about the games business that took me a long time to figure out? Devs and PR people know whether their game is any good or not. They're never mad about 7s or 5s. They know they ran out of time or money, and they pay good money to have accurate projections for where the review scores are going to fall. Every once in a while a negative review can really come out of nowhere and surprise someone that thought they had a great game on their hands, but that's very rare.

This is why reviewers don't feel any heat to be anything but totally honest and blunt in their evaluation. It's not going to come as a surprise to the folks that worked on the product for years.

Its over ,accept it people. Like death in life, you just need to accept good things don't last forever. I got to admit i should have cherished Halo 3 more than i did.

What the fuck is happening.

They really think WE are what is holding Halo back. They want a new audience. They come in here to pacify the community but that's what is going on.

No other explanation to go 100% the opposite direction from what the fans want. Doesn't make numbers sense either. The H4 player population is garbage.

Let's even change the lead character in the Campaign. They are LITERALLY trying to make it another game, maybe we just have to accept it and move on.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They're probably gonna try and do some weird middle ground if "4v4, fair starts" is true and it'll result in the population bailing much like halo4populationchart.jpg either go all in or don't go at all.

Still I'm interested.

Maybe because most of them are pros in shitty Halo games? Players who grow up with Sprint and a lack of individual skill probably aren't going to have the knowledge or the conviction to make a solid, old-school Halo game. Expecting them to have any meaningful impact on the direction of future Halo games is foolish.

Also, everyone who says, "If we just give solid, constructive feedback 343 will listen!" are kidding themselves. The exact same thing has been said for literally every Halo game since Halo 2. Halo developers don't listen to players like us, they never have and they never will. Its just the nature of the beast. No matter how much they say they're "listening to us," they really aren't. Its time to be honest with yourselves; any Beta "feedback" any of us give is going to be completely irrelevant

pGChc.gif

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Fuck this.

1xcoup.gif

Fuck this.

AGREED. FUCK HALO 5.

What MSFT executive made this design decision? If anyone from 343 actually generated the concept, they should be ashamed of themselves and should be ashamed to call themselves a video game designer.

Microsoft executives are so fucking stupid, stop chasing the COD pie, you'll never get it.

jem0208

Its over ,accept it people. Like death in life, you just need to accept good things don't last forever. I got to admit i should have cherished Halo 3 more than i did.

Well, the MCC is there for you to continue that cherishing.

Edit: This was poorly worded. Not trying to say this means the issues with Halo 5 should be disregarded only that he can continue to enjoy Halo 3.

Euron

I feel like the MCC is 343's way of placating the Halo Community in regards to things to come. They're going to change pretty much everything in the series yet they expect us to accept it and say "Well at least we still have the MCC."

Halo 5 is the last chance I am giving 343. They know very well what fans want in a Halo game and they even said Halo 4 failed. Will they pull through and make a great Halo game? After today, I'm really starting to doubt that. But whatever, if they fail, the community will drop even harder than it did with Halo 4. This is Xbox's premiere franchise, yet it's heading to its demise thanks to decisions made by MS and 343.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Also, everyone who says, "If we just give solid, constructive feedback 343 will listen!" are kidding themselves. The exact same thing has been said for literally every Halo game since Halo 2. Halo developers don't listen to players like us, they never have and they never will. Its just the nature of the beast. No matter how much they say they're "listening to us," they really aren't. Its time to be honest with yourselves; any Beta "feedback" any of us give is going to be completely irrelevant.

I'm actually going to withhold judgement until we get more solid footage, because the only thing that really impacts the game for me is going to be how difficult it is to land shots. Everything else follows from there. With the current footage, all we know is that they're making some poor design decisions that could turn out alright depending on how they are implemented.

I don't know if you remember any of my posts in Beyond Entertainment or my Gamers Corner podcast in the ol days, but I predicted this should would happen. I knew ADS would eventually come to Halo.

This is so pathetic. I feel really sorry for the video game industry that they continue to think copying COD will equate to a successful ROI. (return on investment)

Horrible, horrible. If I were a 343 employee, I'd be seriously ashamed of myself.

Silky

Banned
can someone explain MGS2 thing to me? never played it.

Sorry I don't get it. Can ye explain?

In MGS2 the first part of the game was you playing as Snake, then once part 2 hits you were playing entirely as Raiden. Thing is Kojima kept secret up to MGS2's release of Raiden's existence.

Sorry for being clueless, but who is shinobi602? How does he know so much?

He's an insider. He has a history of being accurate in his guesses.

Ein Bear

can someone explain MGS2 thing to me? never played it.

The main character of Metal Gear Solid 1 is Solid Snake. In MGS2, you play as Snake for the first 45 minutes of the game, and then switch to playing a new character called Raiden for the rest. Raiden's existance as a playable character was kept a secret until release.

jelly

Even though it's an early beta, the game is set in stone right. If sprint is standard, the maps aren't going to be changed with feedback that sprint should be removed. The maps wouldn't work and I doubt the time will be spent to redo them. ADS as standard possibly means cover since you would be rooted more often so another map headache that would be a pain to change after feedback.

So, anyone on the sounds so bad but there is a chance of being awesome train or is Halo completely off the rails with no redemption.

The Monday reveal has to be the greatest or worst pitch ever.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-doesn-39-t-have-iron-sights.aspx?PageIndex=7

"When you think about aiming down sights or iron-sights, you’re kind of talking about a bullet-point on a list of design features and that in and of itself is fine, but you kind of want to think about the entire experience: 'What is an entire encounter like?'" adds 343's Chad Armstrong. "With Halo, you tend to get recognisable pacing and something like iron-sights can have a dramatic affect on what that pacing is."

BigShow36

A less optimistic thought is that the MCC is a parting-gift to fans of Halo as 343 takes the franchise into the "modern" era. An end-of-an-era sort collection that represents Halo's past so that they can reboot the franchise into the idiocy of the modern gaming era.

Top Bottom