• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

dwells

Because being vague is opposed to being "real." I see.
By "real," I mean something that has value. They could do updates with the lyrics to "Never Gonna Give You Up," and technically that would count as communication. Would it provide any sort of value or information of meaning to everyone (outside of reminding us of Rick Astley's mastery of eighties pop, that is)? No.

Repeating the same "more on that soon," "ETA in the future," "currently working on" drivel doesn't count as meaningful, useful, or "real" communication when it's the exact same thing that has been repeated over the last three months while the product has remained massively broken.

Leyasu

Banned
The data collection method doesn't seem consistent enough to actually be a good control, and the data set is too small.

The UI being an indicator of dedis or not depends on both a) it being true in the first place and b) the MCC UI working correctly. Since 343 themselves has said the MCC is messed up and has a big incoming patch, it's reasonable to expect you can't depend on the MCC's UI as an indicator of dedi-ness.

The collectors of data are not disclosing their NAT or their ability to connect to MS's datacenters. Dedicated servers do not solve NAT, this will be a problem as long as we are on IPv4. In this case P2P will be the fallback so you can at least play. There may also be peers that are actually closer to you with enough bandwidth to host than any MS datacenter, so these people also need to disclose their geographical location. It wouldn't make any sense to connect to a Seattle datacenter if everyone in the game is in Texas (assuming Seattle is the only datacenter for shiggles), for example.

The amount of collectors of data is not large enough to be an indicator. This was like someone saying everyone vetoes for BR in Team Slayer in 360 H3 over 100 games played in one day, but then you looked at the unique games for the day, those "lots of games" became 0.0083% of the total games collected by the servers that day. You're looking at a thin slice of a thin slice of a thin slice of data.

I could remove my xbone from my routers DMZ, thus making my NAT strict. Load up titanfall, connect to the closest datacenter, and play without a single problem. Their bullshit NAT or DNS servers excuses are just that.

I asked Frankie if they intended keeping a p2p fallback for halo 5, and he refused to answer! Why? because no they wont need a p2p fallback because it will work correctly.... Or, they will purposely hide it because they have promised 100% dedicated servers since before the xbone released. Also, how many dedicated server only games need a p2p fallback?

Even if all players are in the same area, and a dedicated server is further away, P2P still gives host a big advantage. Am I correct?

Madness

Indeed, it's hard to be even MORE drab than the original map. The clouds and lighting did it no favors either--it was like distant storm approaching blotting out the sun if I'm recalling it correctly?

See above.
This is a case where the more organic looking Forerunner architecture would actually be WELCOME. I'd be fine leaving it similar to the original (it is called RELIC after all), but something else color-wise would need to be added. In that case, I'd call for added tropical trees/greenery or perhaps much like with Zenith they could wow us with another fantastic and bright skybox.

LILlIaZ.jpg

Yup. Hopefuly they can turn Relic from a brown mess into a much more colorful map with better lighting, and hopefully no tint filter or anything.

Impala26

LILlIaZ.jpg

Yup. Hopefuly they can turn Relic from a brown mess into a much more colorful map with better lighting, and hopefully no tint filter or anything.

Holy crap I completely forgot about the huge pieces of driftwood and the lawl-random covie watchtower...

Great map, but definitely needs a lighting and color boost.

EDIT: Also if they could remove the hidden drop to the Marianas Trench on the left-edge of the map from that perspective that would be just SWELL too.

jelly

Love how clear looking Bungie maps are. I don't like overly busy graphics nor sterile ones but there is a nice balance.

SaganIsGOAT

Free XBL in the amount of days the MCC is broken is fair compensation. I mean, if I had only bought a One for the MCC and had to buy a year of XBL at the time as well I would kinda bummed that my sub is slowly dwindling away.

After further evaluation, the team has determined that that final testing for the content update will be completed internally, and we will not be conducting a beta test for the next CU. Also, it was determined that the additional time and work devoted to the beta would’ve actually postponed the public availability of the content update. Lastly, there were some added challenges surrounding the CU beta – including an extra series of required updates and rollbacks - that made us take a step back and reexamine the CU beta. Ultimately, this plan will allow us to deliver the smoothest possible experience, and ensure that the next content update becomes available as soon as possible.

They did communicate, the patch was going to be pushed out until the figured out it doesn't work. It's not that people want to hear less from 343, it's that they want them go fix this thing and get it working. All we hear is it still doesn't work and we don't know when we will fix it. Then the next line:

But Halo 5 guys!

Free XBL in the amount of days the MCC is broken is fair compensation. I mean, if I had only bought a One for the MCC and had to buy a year of XBL at the time as well I would kinda bummed that my sub is slowly dwindling away.

This is my fate.

But on a positive note, a look back at Relic's place in Halo's legendary history:

Gameplay May Change During Online Play ( Full Version with TRIVIA TRACK): http://youtu.be/iAryy4mIDOQ

It's never going to be fixed.

They can't even launch a beta patch at this point.

I am starting to think you're right. This is an absolute disaster.

Personally, I just don't care. Yeah, the MCC is broken, yeah their communication probably hasn't been good enough and some of the stuff they've said has been a bit questionable. Honestly they're not a particularly good company. However I play games for fun, and skipping games to "send a message" isn't much fun.

That said, should probably wait until we find out if it works. However after a pretty reasonable experience with beta I'm not too worried.

I'm actually going to agree with you. If you want to play Halo, what choice do you have? It's not the consumers fault, it's the publisher and the developer. Honestly, how is everyone still employed over there. Then again, this is the place that promoted Kevin Franklin, MP lead on Halo 4 so...

The only way I can see them getting MCC fixed is if they pull the FF: XIV card and get a new team to rebuild it from the ground up, or at least give it a major overhaul.

It's pretty sad when they can't even get a beta patch out for the MCC. Kinda gives you an idea on how unfinished the whole game was when it was released.

link1201

The only way I can see them getting MCC fixed is if they pull the FF: XIV card and get a new team to rebuild it from the ground up, or at least give it a major overhaul.It's pretty sad when they can't even get a beta patch out for the MCC. Kinda gives you an idea how unfinished the whole game was when it was released

I think that's what is happening.

The only way I can see them getting MCC fixed is if they pull the FF: XIV card and get a new team to rebuild it from the ground up, or at least give it a major overhaul.

It's pretty sad when they can't even get a beta patch out for the MCC. Kinda gives you an idea on how unfinished the whole game was when it was released.

On the contrary, I think the patches made it worse. I think this new patch was what another team was working on the entire time.

Did you apply through the GitHub Student Pack?

Yep! Just waiting on a confirmation e-mail now. In the meantime I'm going to start figuring out how to make some basic models in Blender.

By the way, general gamey question for devs / programmers here - is it inherently tasking (from a coding or performance standpoint) to deload textures on an object? I mean, like, not replacing them with anything - just straight-up deloading the texture.

Ramirez

So, have we reached the "this game is never going to be properly fixed" mode?

Just saying... what if one or two mega-patches later the matchmaking and things make it "mostly" working? This one has been cooking in the oven for quite awhile compared to the weekly/bi-weekly Band-Aid patches.

I understand no guarantees at this point, but still, what if...?

That one after the beta ended had "been in the oven" a while too, and it fixed absolutely nothing, and might have made it worse for some, lol.

The game will work some day, I have no doubt of that, but until that day comes, why should they have your money? They can say these problems never arose in test all they want, but the fact of the matter is, once it was out in the wild, it was completely broken, and it still is! It's fucking shameful all the way around.

I can't get the value of the Xbox One I purchased to be able to play the MCC, and I no longer have my xbox 360. They have my money, I have their feet to the fire to fix this to my satisfaction and the level they advertised.

How's that working out??

Huh, funny you should say that considering you have 6'914 posts and I have 5'926.

Karl has been here almost 5 years, you've been here almost 2, your point missed the mark...just a tad.

"Why doesn't 343 ever talk? Just communicate already!"

*343 communicates*

"Ugh, why do they even bother communicating?"

Because at some point, people get tired of hearing the same bullshit. I know they don't communicate because, like I said yesterday, they have nothing to say! They have no idea when this is going to be fixed completely. You can only keep the doubt at bay for so long, and it's been 3 months.

Again, even when this game works on a matchmaking level, there is still a monstrous amount of work to get it working the way it should be as far as ranks, playlists, loadouts, netcode, etc. If it hits that point by May I would be shocked.

I hate to come off as a hater, because I'm in day 1 with Halo 5, I loved it. But there is absolutely no excuse for the pathetic display that is the MCC, and letting them keep your money at this point is just saying that you're ok with it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yep! Just waiting on a confirmation e-mail now. In the meantime I'm going to start figuring out how to make some basic models in Blender.

By the way, general gamey question for devs / programmers here - is it inherently tasking (from a coding or performance standpoint) to deload textures on an object? I mean, like, not replacing them with anything - just straight-up deloading the texture.

Grizz or Vis are probably the ones to talk about for that.

My uneducated guess would be that it's some that's handle by UE4 itself.

That's dangerous thinking at CA, we must have a filter that ruins the color palette.

While it's obviously not a perfect solution, I'd take a filter over Halo 2-era color theory any day. If it's not brown, gray, green* or purple then it probably won't be on-screen for more than 5 minutes.

*including the weirdly verdigris Gondola on Quarantine Zone. Seriously, if anyone here is legitimately defending classic Halo 2's aesthetic, go play the gondola segment of Quarantine Zone and toggle between views. It's nuts how badly the colors clash.

Does anyone remember how long MCC had for development? 12 months? 18 months?

Also I remember the best times on Relic being 4v4 flag/bomb, not 12-16 players BTB, unless it was snipers.

-Ryn

Banned
Grenadier you said Vanilla latte right?
Just ordered one from a local cafe.

I don't think there's a delay, but I do think that the longer you hold the button, you make better jumps.
...I feel stupid but I can't seem to remember how many Halo games have variable jump control.

That could be it though. I just remember sometimes going for a jump and I'd walk off the edge instead of jumping despite thinking I pressed it in time.

hold down jump in CE to use jetpack, duh
Of course! Silly me :p

No debate. The latter you can prepare for and anticipate, the former is just too unpredictable at times.

Did the part of the Bungie dev team working on the Flood play a bit too much Resident Evil or something while working on them?
I actually didn't mind the CE flood. Just double tap.

page 143

the page of LUV

<3 u all
I don't get it...

Ditto <3

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
lucky mofo

I applied on December 13th 2014.

EDIT: It may have been the email I used. I have a .edu and a .net through my school and I used the .net one.

Must be. I think the .edu ones are insta-approved.

don't underestimate the connections i've soul-fisted through GG, bro

if i don't hear anything in a couple of days i'll follow up with them

uU2tg8z.gif

Top Bottom