• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyReN

Thanks 343i!
1J758Xd.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/zCphJ

Caayn

They made a new one? Nice, I was afraid that they stopped after the first two.

Love the credits in those acts.
For a good time call.............Urk
For a hard time call..............Harold
For a very hard time call.....The cops

The events depicted in this holiday address are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual community managers, either dead or soon to be dead, are purely coincidental. Destiny is absolutely fictitious. I mean, if the Traveler was here, you'd know.
Those look really great.

Btw Frankie the first link in that article is broken ;) Someone forget to the "h" of http in the beginning of the link URL.

Feel free to ship mine any day now Sideshow, any day now...

So glad they made the visor reflective. The original pictures they showed just had the visor painted gold.

Almost 26" tall and only 100 made. Damn, so limited. Almost as limited as the Legendary Halo Reach
Just the Red and Blue ones are limited to 100. Regular Master Chief is 750, and limited edition Master Chief with swap out Needler is 350.

BigShow36

Basically it's win/loss based. But there are some small details that really make it great. So it goes by Seasons that last a few months. The ranks are separated by Divisions. Bronze-Silver-Gold-Platinum-Diamond-Master-GrandMaster(Top 200) per region (NA, EU, Korea) Basically depending on which region you decide to play in you get a different rank.

So you get your divisional ranking and that's the good way to tell someones rank at the surface. "I'm gold, Terran" or "I'm Silver Protoss" Within those divisions however, players are randomly placed in ladders of 100 other players. Based on your matchup(slightly better than, equal, slightly worse than) you win or lose a certain amount of points depending on the outcome. The points are used to rank you in that ladder. You've got the micro goal of reaching the top of the ladder but then the macro goal of getting into the next division. When you're losing a lot, you drop in the ladder and start matching people in the division below you. The opposite is true, if you're winning a lot you'll start matching people in the division above. When the game decides, you're then promoted or demoted. You don't have to be at the top or bottom of the ladder to get promoted or demoted.

One brilliant thing about the system is the bonus points. If you don't play for a little while you accumulate bonus points(there's a limit). What they do is basically help get you back to the rank where you once were. You still have to win to put the bonus points to use but it makes going back to the game after a break or whatever much friendlier and even appealing.

And then it does this for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 with mixed parties and all that stuff. Then he also dealt with how players are matched behind the scenes. It's all super interesting stuff.

Too bad all of that only works if it's within the confines of a game that rewards skill and has a significant skill gap. So it probably won't work for Halo, if past experience is any indication.

You know it wasnt actually going to be the whole game, right? Just one hour demos.
That rumor contradicted Microsoft's implication of the system, and also originated from a PasteBin post that also spouted a ton of crap "leaks" about Halo 5 and such.

CBoAT than came and tried to confirm it, but it still contradicts Microsoft, and Aaron Greenberg himself stated was incorrect. Pardon my choice to believe an official statement from the company rather than a leaker on NeoGAF who's no always 100%.

Mistel

Banned
Thats expensive, the exchange rate does work in my favor but i'm not sure what to do with it if I had one.

I like little lunchbox you got and the snowball fight drawing is cute, but I do hope that wasn't your good china it's kinda ugly. :p

Fracas

#fuckonami
That rumor contradicted Microsoft's implication of the system, and also originated from a PasteBin post that also spouted a ton of crap "leaks" about Halo 5 and such.

CBoAT than came and tried to confirm it, but it still contradicts Microsoft, and Aaron Greenberg himself stated was incorrect. Pardon my choice to believe an official statement from the company rather than a leaker on NeoGAF who's no always 100%.

xbox one master race

Too bad all of that only works if it's within the confines of a game that rewards skill and has a significant skill gap. So it probably won't work for Halo, if past experience is any indication.

But they're culling all the weapons except for the CE Pistol, and even the grenades will explode CE Pistols! Halo 5 will be fine.

I have still yet to see a single post against the CE Pistol and how it wouldn't work with the previously suggested changes.
Feels like 2004-2010 all over again.

something something 14 day Halo 4 DLC lies something something

xbox one master race

"If You See Me Acting Stupid Online, Please Report It."

Xbox One master race! ;P

Don't ever take my Twitter seriously. Everything is seriously a "I'm bored let's just tweet something" and I do so with my current emotions. I was very excited and happy for the last 4 hours of school so everything I've been doing lately was with a tone of excitement and silliness. :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

Feel free to ship mine any day now Sideshow, any day now...

So glad they made the visor reflective. The original pictures they showed just had the visor painted gold.

Just the Red and Blue ones are limited to 100. Regular Master Chief is 750, and limited edition Master Chief with swap out Needler is 350.
So pissed I did not jump on the train with this one. I won't miss out ThreeA's Chief.

jem0208

Just finished reading the Frankie Q&A and this got me quite excited:

What are you planning to do with the Arbiter and that of the Sangheili, in both the story and gameplay?
- kaine nar rano

Can’t talk about it. But a lot.

Loved the Arbiter. Do want.

Woorloog

Banned
Damn fun to play Halo 4 after a long break (friend gave 3 month Gold time card).
However, why the fuck are there maps in Halo 4 MP that have so bad framerate issues with split-screen they're basically unplayable?
Complex, some forged maps, some DLC maps...

Also, mixed Team Slayer and Infinity Slayer sucks, should be on or the other only, per playlist.

Damn fun to play Halo 4 after a long break (friend gave 3 month Gold time card).
However, why the fuck are there maps in Halo 4 MP that have so bad framerate issues with split-screen they're basically unplayable?
Complex, some forged maps, some DLC maps...

Also, mixed Team Slayer and Infinity Slayer sucks, should be on or the other only, per playlist.

Halo 4 currently is a solid game IMO, the maps could be better though and those few quality DLC ones are sorely missed in the wild. I'd like to see the next Halo title support splitscreen at a locked 30fps to avoid such issues.

Also last night playing in a full party and due to severely low populations could not play objective in Reach at all, could not play objective in Halo 3 at all so we just banged out customs all night. Still damn fun and worth switching the X1 off for a while.

Everyone have a great holiday season and in early JAN I'm hosting a Halo LAN day/night at my place, so far we're forcing Halo 2, 3 & Halo 4 to be brought along. Any gametypes or settings suggestions for LAN fun?

Woorloog

Banned
BTW, is there an easy list of changed things in Halo 4? I'm sure i felt there had been changes to various things but i can't pinpoint them. Also, ain't there like a couple of new perks?

Madness

Was pretty much a part guarantee we'd see the Arbiter soon. I mean look how we ended Halo 3 and now we have some opposing faction of Elites/Covenant, everyone who played Halo 4 wondered what the Arbiter would do.

I actually think these types of interviews are beneficial for 343. Helps people get to know the team and studio better. I hope for Halo 5 launch, lead up, there is FAR greater community interaction and events. Next year's 343 Day better be some huge event.

BTW, is there an easy list of changed things in Halo 4? I'm sure i felt there had been changes to various things but i can't pinpoint them. Also, ain't there like a couple of new perks?

Official thread for change lists and dates

Depends on how long since you last played. Recent things are turbo update to all weapons, movement etc e.g. 4SK BR, 110% movement. Then there was the championship bundle for Pitfall & Vertigo maps plus a few abilities like recharge etc and resistor has been released to all now. The second most recent bulletin has a nice playlist change roadmap for the next few months too.

BigShow36

I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

In this case, for me at least, the glass is less than half full. Why? Because something like presupposes a skill-based game. People will now think that if they have a higher rank, it actually means something. I don't want to be ranked by a system that claims to rank players based on skill in a game that has a very low skill-gap. It's random and frustrating.

I play Halo to have fun, and fun for me means competition in a skill-based arena where my ability, decisions and actions have a meaningful impact on the game. I don't want a Halo game like the one's we've had recently, and a ranking system is merely an insult at that point.

It almost implies that they think all you need is a good ranking system to make a game competitive, which is just not the case.

Don't worry about the spanish, you'll see it in english in your xbox unless you change your language configuration to Spanish or Mexican.

If you'd like me to support another language just PM and I'll send you some sentences to translate lol

Edit: here is the complete strings list, if you were capable of ranslating them to one of the following languages (Portuguese, German, Italian or French) PM me the list.

Sabotage
Destroy enemy generators, defend yours
Team Sabotage
One generator per team, first sabotage wins
PROTECT ALPHA
DESTROY BRAVO
Generator defender traits
Traits applied to players shielding a generator
Red team traits
Traits applied to players on red team
Blue team traits
Traits applied to players on blue eam
Generator resistance
Determines how much damage can a generator take
Generator shielding time
Time it takes to activate the generator shielding
Instant
Generator invulneravility time
Time during which the generator shields will absorve all damages
Generator cooldown time
After the shielding is over time you'll have to wait to reactivate the shielding
Alpha destroyed
Bravo destroyed
Alpha shielded
Bravo shielded
Alpha finished cooling
Bravo finished cooling
Generators shielded
Generator offensives
Infiltrations
Breachs

So today at work I asked a kid what he was asking for for Christmas. He turned to me and got so excited to tell me about Skylanders. "And you get these people...and you can swap them!"

I was like, okay wow that's so cool. What else?

Then he gets all quiet like he's embarrassed to say it, "Um...Halo."

Oh really? I know your older brother plays it. Do you too?

"Yeah I'm not good though. I die a lot. But I really like the toys. There's this one toy! He's got, like, white armor! And orange parts! And he's the bad guy! He's so cool!"

He was talking about Didact. And I cannot disagree. Diddy looks pretty darn cool. And this kid has great taste. He's five.

Ghazi

I wonder what he'd have looked like if the same treatment had been applied to the Didact's armor from Legends.

images

I would've liked that as well, if it had been done right. I'm sure they had tons of designs laying around, I wish they'd kick a couple our way just to see them.

Madness

I wish we didn't get to see Librarian or Didact as they really are in a sense. I liked when the Forerunners were more mysterious. It's sort of like how Mass Effect basically ruined any mythology or lore about the Protheans by making Javik a crew member.

We only hear Librarians voice and we only see Didact in full armor. Maybe save it all for the end during some final fight with him etc.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
In this case, for me at least, the glass is less than half full. Why? Because something like presupposes a skill-based game. People will now think that if they have a higher rank, it actually means something. I don't want to be ranked by a system that claims to rank players based on skill in a game that has a very low skill-gap. It's random and frustrating.

I play Halo to have fun, and fun for me means competition in a skill-based arena where my ability, decisions and actions have a meaningful impact on the game. I don't want a Halo game like the one's we've had recently, and a ranking system is merely an insult at that point.

It almost implies that they think all you need is a good ranking system to make a game competitive, which is just not the case.

Well I guess for someone who saw H2 as the beginning of the end, you're pretty jaded at this point. I'm competitive as well and have been able to enjoy just about all the Halo games on a competitive level. Personally, I don't see the next Halo being the 2nd coming of CE but that doesn't make it a game that isn't competitively viable.

But hey, different people enjoy Halo for different reasons. Sucks that you can't enjoy the last Halo games.

I wish we didn't get to see Librarian or Didact as they really are in a sense. I liked when the Forerunners were more mysterious. It's sort of like how Mass Effect basically ruined any mythology or lore about the Protheans by making Javik a crew member.

We only hear Librarians voice and we only see Didact in full armor. Maybe save it all for the end during some final fight with him etc.

I had no idea this existed. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom