• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

I had no idea this existed. Interesting.

Well they tied it into DLC and so obviously quite a few didn't know it. But you get a mission for him, and then if you bring him on missions he brings his insight. But ever since the first Mass Effect, Protheans were this long gone race, one of the best in the galaxy, last act was to warn future generations, etc.

And then you have this guy, who basically retcons what most believed about them, and just changes what people's ideas were of who they are, what they did, why they died. Would have been better if they were always a mystery in a sense. Don't need to explain EVERYTHING in a sense you know.

For me, with halo, the forerunners were this long gone race, who were the ancestors to humans in a sense. They left behind these brilliant rings, structures and technology. The covenant used what they found to justify their expansion/genocide of humans etc. Don't really know who they were, what happened or what they did. Just that humans 'were forerunner, chief was a reclaimer. Then it became forerunners defeated humanity, and have space magic telekinesis, and somehow Librarian singlehandedly was responsible for humanity developing Spartans, their AI and it was never his luck or ability, but 'fate'.

I wouldn't have even used forerunners for a new trilogy. I'd have used another alien type race who knew of the forerunners, even fought with them and were banished from the Milky Way Galaxy and the destruction of the Ark, drew them back. But they never knew about the Flood etc.

Duji

Well I guess for someone who saw H2 as the beginning of the end, you're pretty jaded at this point. I'm competitive as well and have been able to enjoy just about all the Halo games on a competitive level. Personally, I don't see the next Halo being the 2nd coming of CE but that doesn't make it a game that isn't competitively viable.

But hey, different people enjoy Halo for different reasons. Sucks that you can't enjoy the last Halo games.

I tend to agree with BigShow on the topic of what makes a good Halo game but I also can't deny that I've had my fair share of fun with these past games, even H4 (although I haven't played it in forever). H3 had a godawful netcode and a horrendous utility weapon but I still had a blast with that game. I suspect its mainly due to friends and also having a higher tolerance for bullshit.

Somewhat relevant, what kind of car do you drive? Kiki drives a porsche, your brothers doppelganger drives a golf GTi, and grandma Frank drives minivan/crossover/hatchback cars like the CX7/Honda Fit/scooter.

A Jul Mdama animatronic gives him piggyback rides to work.

Ataxia

Somewhat relevant, what kind of car do you drive? Kiki drives a porsche, your brothers doppelganger drives a golf GTi, and grandma Frank drives minivan/crossover/hatchback cars like the CX7/Honda Fit/scooter.

How is that relevant? :lol

such a weird thing to ask someone. Sounds like you're going to stalk him or something.

Well they tied it into DLC and so obviously quite a few didn't know it. But you get a mission for him, and then if you bring him on missions he brings his insight. But ever since the first Mass Effect, Protheans were this long gone race, one of the best in the galaxy, last act was to warn future generations, etc.

And then you have this guy, who basically retcons what most believed about them, and just changes what people's ideas were of who they are, what they did, why they died. Would have been better if they were always a mystery in a sense. Don't need to explain EVERYTHING in a sense you know.

For me, with halo, the forerunners were this long gone race, who were the ancestors to humans in a sense. They left behind these brilliant rings, structures and technology. The covenant used what they found to justify their expansion/genocide of humans etc. Don't really know who they were, what happened or what they did. Just that humans 'were forerunner, chief was a reclaimer. Then it became forerunners defeated humanity, and have space magic telekinesis, and somehow Librarian singlehandedly was responsible for humanity developing Spartans, their AI and it was never his luck or ability, but 'fate'.

I wouldn't have even used forerunners for a new trilogy. I'd have used another alien type race who knew of the forerunners, even fought with them and were banished from the Milky Way Galaxy and the destruction of the Ark, drew them back. But they never knew about the Flood etc.

Yeah, I wish they would have kept the Forerunners more mysterious, the Didact and the Librarian are just way too close to really tall humans with flat noses. The Sci-Fi art nerd inside of me was screaming ALIENS SHOULD LOOK ALIEN the whole time they were on screen. Whoever thought the Forerunner characters look at all alien need to read the shit out of this book. The Librarian even has space boobs, what the hell? In contrast, I thought the Greg Bear novels did a decent job of have stuff happening with them but also being weird enough that you could buy them as a completely different and alien civilization.

At the very least, they should have waited until the end of the game to show their faces, for a Darth Vader-esque reveal of what's behind the mask.

Madness

How is that relevant? :lol

such a weird thing to ask someone. Sounds like you're going to stalk him or something.

Yeah, I'm really going to stalk a developer who lives at least 200 miles away.

Maybe you missed my post earlier about how I liked 343 giving those interviews, I was reading their Forza one etc. Maybe I shouldn't have said somewhat relevant.

Since when is asking what kind of car you have weird? Especially in the context that I mentioned what kinds of cars his fellow coworkers have?

can it be pax time again? thanks in advance to the calendar makers we have here.
Don't even care how Halo 4 turned out, I had such a blast lining up to play it over and over again at PAX with ya'll. Something was missing from PAX this year, can't wait for another PAX with some new Halo hotness.

Ataxia

Yeah, I'm really going to stalk a developer who lives at least 200 miles away.
creep2xx6p.gif

Madness

How does that make it LESS creepy?

Geez, it's not like I asked the guy where he lives, his favorite foods, whether he votes Republican/Democrat, whether he changes the tags on his jeans so that they are slimmer than he is etc.

I just asked what kind of car he owns. What's creepy about that? Heck, I drive an 06 BMW X5, it's got 88k on it now, there is Colorado Avalanche license plates on it, and a significant dent on the right side of the rear.

Ghazi

Geez, it's not like I asked the guy where he lives, his favorite foods, whether he votes Republican/Democrat, whether he changes the tags on his jeans so that they are slimmer than he is etc.

Somewhere in Redmond, WA; Pizza, Haggis, and Collops; Republicrat; no, he changes them so it's larger than he actually is by a factor of -4. Did I do it right?

I just asked what kind of car he owns. What's creepy about that? Heck, I drive an 06 BMW X5, it's got 88k on it now, there is Colorado Avalanche license plates on it, and a significant dent on the right side of the rear.

I'll be watching for you, then.

original

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Ummmm, what happened in here?

I don't have the best track record in cars. Had a motorcycle in college, but also owned a PT Cruiser at one point in my life.

Madness

Ummmm, what happened in here?

I don't have the best track record in cars. Had a motorcycle in college, but also owned a PT Cruiser at one point in my life.

That was my fault, I started reading your forza interviews on waypoint when you posted the snowboard link, simply asked what kind of car you have, in relation to Frank, Kiki and some other members ran with the idea of some creepy/stalker aspect, as if I asked the most personal and uncomfortable question in the world.

Hardest puzzle in the franchise is probably Halo 2 IWHBYD. It basically involves locating an off-the-beaten path skull on Legendary only, fighting a Firefight bonus round-style series of Elite Honor Guard waves, and doing it all without dying.

Hardest puzzle in the franchise is probably Halo 2 IWHBYD. It basically involves locating an off-the-beaten path skull on Legendary only, fighting a Firefight bonus round-style series of Elite Honor Guard waves, and doing it all without dying.

Only ever accomplished that when I was able to glitch infinite camo during the teleporting into that Elite firefight room. Anything legit without infinite camo was pure death for me.

belushy

Banned
That was my fault, I started reading your forza interviews on waypoint when you posted the snowboard link, simply asked what kind of car you have, in relation to Frank, Kiki and some other members ran with the idea of some creepy/stalker aspect, as if I asked the most personal and uncomfortable question in the world.

Just put them on your ignore list. Some people in this thread are not worth your time, man.

BigShow36

I tend to agree with BigShow on the topic of what makes a good Halo game but I also can't deny that I've had my fair share of fun with these past games, even H4 (although I haven't played it in forever). H3 had a godawful netcode and a horrendous utility weapon but I still had a blast with that game. I suspect its mainly due to friends and also having a higher tolerance for bullshit.

I'm not saying I can't have "fun" with recent Halo games, its just that it's shallow, one-off fun that comes more from the inherent nature of playing an online game with other people.

I had "fun" playing Race in Halo CE where you weren't allowed to exit your warthog. I have "fun" playing a game of Snipers in Halo 4. I can have "fun" playing rock-paper-scissors, but if the underlying game cannot elevate itself above gimmicks, antics and chance then its never going to be a game that I truly enjoy. Some people can, but that's not what Halo was originally and that's not the game that brought me back to gaming.

When I talk about Halo CE, it was a game that become more than that; it became essentially a sport, with all the intensity, energy, excitement, skill, and emotions that come with it. Now, the only emotion I feel when I play Halo is apathy. I cannot emotionally invest in a game that doesn't reward me for being an individual player with unique abilities and skills. I have no desire to put time into a game where my own ability isn't challenged and I don't see myself improving as a player. It has become a game of circumstance and frustration rather than a personal challenge. The experience is shallow; it's cheapened. I cannot celebrate a victory nor despair in defeat if I don't feel the game was a true test of the player's abilities.

I can have "fun" with it, but it is not the same as being invested in the game. You can have fun with a prostitute, but it is not the same as falling in love with someone.

belushy

Banned
So I'm watching LoL right now.

Couldn't Halo do something similar to check the perks/armor ability (assuming they are still gonna be in Halo 5) where you can click the "back" button on the controller to bring up a menu similar to this?

Obviously they'd have to actually let us move around while in that scoreboard mode since they took it away in Halo 4, but I think it would work well. Maybe it is more of an inconvenience, but I know a lot of people's problems with AAs/perks is that there is no way to tell who has what.

Couldn't Halo do something similar to check the perks/armor ability (assuming they are still gonna be in Halo 5) where you can click the "back" button on the controller to bring up a menu similar to this?

Obviously they'd have to actually let us move around while in that scoreboard mode since they took it away in Halo 4, but I think it would work well. Maybe it is more of an inconvenience, but I know a lot of people's problems with AAs/perks is that there is no way to tell who has what.

perks better not be in.

I would agree, but H3 IWBYD wasn't found via "acceptable" means, people just dug through the game's code.

With cloud integration on Xbox One would it be possible to hid the code from users in cases like this? It kind of sucks when Easter eggs are found just by looking through the code on the disk.

heckfu

Banned

it's not the same at all lol.

it's easy to tell on the map which hero has what in Dota or LoL because you know the characters. The characters are easy to tell apart and you have the time to approach each encounter differently with a team. Further, you know where most heroes are going to be literally 90% of the game due to lanes and lane abilities.

In halo, it's too fast paced to know ahead of time which character has what ability and even THEN you can switch mid-match. On top of that, most spartans look nearly identical because in game the armor variations are too similar. Kudos for the idea but it works on an almost 0% level.

Sai-kun

Banned

heres the solution

every character is the same
nobody has any stupid abilities or powerups or dumb bullshit
every character is totally even

done

ship the dumb game

belushy

Banned
it's not the same at all lol.

it's easy to tell on the map which hero has what in Dota or LoL because you know the characters. The characters are easy to tell apart and you have the time to approach each encounter differently with a team. Further, you know where most heroes are going to be literally 90% of the game due to lanes and lane abilities.

In halo, it's too fast paced to know ahead of time which character has what ability and even THEN you can switch mid-match. On top of that, most spartans look nearly identical because in game the armor variations are too similar. Kudos for the idea but it works on an almost 0% level.

Ah, great points. I guess it would be easier if there was a way to tell who was who. By the time you'd get into an encounter you'd first have to recognize who it is, and then remember what they had from the list, and it could have very well changed by that point.

Also, I hate perks and strongly dislike AAs. I don't want them in. I was just trying to think of a way to counter them if they do still end up in Halo Xbone. Which there really doesn't seem to be a way at all. :(

heckfu

Banned
Ah, great points. I guess it would be easier if there was a way to tell who was who. By the time you'd get into an encounter you'd first have to recognize who it is, and then remember what they had from the list, and it could have very well changed by that point.

Also, I hate perks and strongly dislike AAs. I don't want them in. I was just trying to think of a way to counter them if they do still end up in Halo Xbone. Which there really doesn't seem to be a way at all. :(

lol didnt mean to sound harsh but i'm just hoping they don't actually take our ideas on how to help alleviate the problem instead of just cutting it all out.

Ora

Banned
heres the solution

every character is the same
nobody has any stupid abilities or powerups or dumb bullshit
every character is totally even

done

ship the dumb game

You're cute :3

lol didnt mean to sound harsh but i'm just hoping they don't actually take our ideas on how to help alleviate the problem instead of just cutting it all out.

You are too <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom