• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveIce

Banned
heres the solution

every character is the same
nobody has any stupid abilities or powerups or dumb bullshit
every character is totally even

done

ship the dumb game
Sai pls.

That would be Halo and not CoD

HOW WILL IT SELL IF IT IS NOT LIKE COD OMG.

:'(

Mistel

Banned
Sai pls.

That would be Halo and not CoD

HOW WILL IT SELL IF IT IS NOT LIKE COD OMG.

:'(

That population drop though vs biggest selling game in franchise :( which is worse? A return to a level skill based game would be nice not who shot first (flinch go away).

Madness

That population drop though vs biggest selling game in franchise :( which is worse? A return to a level skill based game would be nice not who shot first (flinch go away).

Fastest selling doesn't mean much if the game pretty much done within 4 months and almost a ghost town within the year.

Halo's profile has been significantly harmed by Reach and Halo 4. When decade long fans are selling or giving away their collections, when almost 50% or more of the communities start to disappear, there is trouble. I'm not saying we need the second coming of CE here (sorry boosh, big show, funk), I'm saying we need Halo games that are much better than we've gotten the last two releases, games that represent traditional and classic Halo than try to be something it's not.

So hopefully, equal starts, in game ranks, monks chanting in menus (it's important), no loadouts, no armor abilities, no perks, no instant respawn, no bloom, descope not flinch, on map weapons, equal focus on 2v2/4v4 game play as much as BTB with map sizes reflecting playlists equally, rebalancing of weapons to remove redundancy, increased movement and strafe speed, lower aim assist and bullet magnetism etc. Let's go back to what made Halo CE/2/3 more fun to play and engage than Reach or Halo 4.

If you need a CE pistol style weapon, a zero bloom DMR with a 2x scope would be a great all around utility weapon. Obviously this is all a pipe dream, but a man can hope.

Vico

Yeah, I went on ForgeHub the other day and I was shocked when I saw that it became a ghost town.I remember checking the website every single day right after Reach was released and the community produced so many great maps and gametypes.

Caayn

Agreed. Fastest selling is nice for your financial report and you get something to be proud about. But it causes more damage than anything else if the final product is like Halo 4 and we expected a Halo 1,2, 3 like game.
Communities have been disbanded, people's trust in the company are gone, and the list goes on. We can only hope that 343i has learned their lesson and doesn't go for the quick cash this time.

TheOddOne

It isn't as black and white as people perceive it or want to per perceive it. There are multiple factors that contributed to the overall decline, like rise in quality new games, there are more blockbuster franchises than ever before, more platforms to get games from (Steam, consoles), games-as-services are getting hugely popular (Dota, LoL, F2P in general) and franchise fatigue. Gaming as a whole is much, much, much more bigger after Halo came out.

Halo also use to be a trendsetter, it use to do new and exciting things – and people stopped and noticed it. Halo 4 did none of that, it was just another run-of-the-mill Halo.

Ataxia

The last thing I see 343i doing is regressing back to the original trilogy 'gameplay'. People expecting them to drop everything that has been made in the last 5 or so years are, quite frankly, delusional. There's no doubt in my mind that Halo 5 will introduce and expand upon everything that Halo 4 and Reach have brought in.

Hell, we've even heard interviews from employees where they've stated that they've felt tied down because they were being faithful with Halo 4. That's not to say that they haven't learnt anything - I would expect a watered down "competitive" version of the game at release, but it will be nothing more than a small niche for the people that want it. And if playlist populations of Halo 4 are anything to go by, very few people do

TheOddOne

Hell, we've even heard interviews from employees where they've stated that they've felt tied down because they were being faithful with Halo 4. That's not to say that they haven't learnt anything - I would expect a watered down "competitive" version of the game at release, but it will be nothing more than a small niche for the people that want it. And if playlist populations of Halo 4 are anything to go by, very few people do
And most of them have left.

Ataxia

And most of them have left.
Like three noteworthy people have left. And colour me surprised if it suddenly changes the way 343i does things... I mean, it was only like three months ago that they added more armour abilities in the game. What does that tell you about the people working there?

Caayn

You must have missed the interview were Frank stated that he deliberately hired people who didn't like Halo.

Besides I don't see how halo 4 is faithful to the original trilogy.

TheOddOne

Like three noteworthy people have left. And colour me surprised if it suddenly changes the way 343i does things... I mean, it was only like three months ago that they added more armour abilities in the game. What does that tell you about the people working there?
Overall Design director, Lead Campaign Designer, Lead Campaign Level Designer, Lead Multiplayer Map Designer, Lead Writer, Lead Multiplayer Producer, Lead Programmer and more have left. Also Halo 4's Creative Director is now EP,

That sure is a lot of leads & creative people.

Nebula

The last thing I see 343i doing is regressing back to the original trilogy 'gameplay'. People expecting them to drop everything that has been made in the last 5 or so years are, quite frankly, delusional. There's no doubt in my mind that Halo 5 will introduce and expand upon everything that Halo 4 and Reach have brought in.

Being faithful to the original trilogy with Halo 4? Nuh uh. No way. Using Halo 4 population to judge anything right now is a poor thing to do. Halo 4 is devoid of any competitive players for starters and is on no big tournaments or gaming channels and doesn't have any interest in trying to be a competitive game, like Halo 3, 2 and even CE did to some degree. (See Halo 4 being BTB focused, classes, perks, AAs ect)

Also Halo 4 expanded upon practically nothing good from Reach (see cut firefight, cut weapons, cut vehicles.) AAs and classes were expanded upon which were widely hated features.

They have our feedback from Reach and 4 and should have taken that into account while making Halo 5. We're not asking them to drop everything they've done for the past 5 years by any means. We're hoping that they made the right decisions based on feedback we have provided over the many Halo based threads/forums on the internet.

I'll speak with my money when the time comes anyway. 343 have got the responsibility of convincing a lot of Halo fans that the game isn't just worth buying, but that it's worth buying a console to play it on.

Ataxia

You must have missed the interview were Frank stated that he deliberately hired people who didn't like Halo.

Besides I don't see how halo 4 is faithful to the original trilogy.

Who knows. Maybe someone from 343 industries can explain how they were. (or maybe they already did... "feels like Halo")

TheOddOne

heres the solution

every character is the same
nobody has any stupid abilities or powerups or dumb bullshit
every character is totally even

done

ship the dumb game
awSued9.gif

Overall Design director, Lead Campaign Designer, Lead Campaign Level Designer, Lead Multiplayer Map Designer, Lead Writer, Lead Multiplayer Producer, Lead Programmer and more have left. Also Halo 4's Creative Director is now EP,

That sure is a lot of leads & creative people.

One also has to remember the nature of the industry too, lots of contractors and high turnover rates are standard operation. Throw in a new studio and one MS owned then of course shuffling is expected too. It's the same in the movie business or any creative related industry really. There are exceptions but it's not the rule of thumb.

Again I still see the same exact trends with the top 20 games on Steam for the last 6 months. The elite top 1-3 enjoy massive and dedicated followings sure but it's not common past those select few. It would be great to return Halo to such a multiplayer status but as for campaign it's obviously retained the sales magic.

My brother helped me pick up a Wii U 32GB w/NSMB U + Luigi U from NEX for $199.99, no tax, free shipping thanks to this tip from the gaming side. If you told me a year ago I'd buy a Wii U before the new Xbox, I would have assumed it was due to brain injury (not brand injury). Oh, by the way, if the website says they are out of stock, you can call in, that's what my brother had to do.

[citation needed]
I would argue that the actual players of the game are the most important community. I would wager that the community of regular Halo players has shrunk a significant amount since Halo 4 released (the actual percentage is something only Microsoft knows, and I doubt they would share it openly).

Fuchsdh

With cloud integration on Xbox One would it be possible to hid the code from users in cases like this? It kind of sucks when Easter eggs are found just by looking through the code on the disk.

I dunno. I doubt it, or at least it seems like more effort than the easter egg should really be worth. On the other hand, I think not tying an achievements to it (via finding skulls in general) would have helped obscure it. Once you give people a clue where stuff is it's pretty easy to target.

Fastest selling doesn't mean much if the game pretty much done within 4 months and almost a ghost town within the year.

Halo's profile has been significantly harmed by Reach and Halo 4. When decade long fans are selling or giving away their collections, when almost 50% or more of the communities start to disappear, there is trouble.

[citation needed]

jelly

Would anyone be bothered if 343 acted like Halo 4 never happened ?

Throw out their universe, story, characters, design and start over. Shhhh.

I honestly don't want to see any of it ever again.

One thing they could still keep is Cortana dying which was inevitable but that happens while Chief is in cryosleep or soon after he wakes up. Then we just have the Chief on his own as he tries to get back to earth or make contact with the UNSC only at the end. The ship crashes on an Alien planet and is the base with all the tools at his disposal, then you have a world to explore in hubs or whatever.

Fuchsdh

I would love to see skulls make a return. Sorely missed from the last few entries. I was really surprised they weren't in ODST considering the semi-open world hub level.

I'd rather we got new skulls as opposed to the ones we have. They're great for Firefight and adding to the challenges but in terms of replaying the game don't offer as much variety. I really liked some of the CEA skulls like Bandanna, Eyepatch, and Piñata--give us skulls that we can't artificially replicate ourselves and don't necessary just make things harder.

jem0208

I'd rather we got new skulls as opposed to the ones we have. They're great for Firefight and adding to the challenges but in terms of replaying the game don't offer as much variety. I really liked some of the CEA skulls like Bandanna, Eyepatch, and Piñata--give us skulls that we can't artificially replicate ourselves and don't necessary just make things harder.

Oh yeah, I'd love for them to add a bunch of new skulls as well.

I just want to hunt for skulls again. I don't want them all available from the start.

Fuchsdh

Oh yeah, I'd love for them to add a bunch of new skulls as well.

I just want to hunt for skulls again. I don't want them all available from the start.

Fair enough. Some of the hiding spots were great in Halo 3 and the Bandanna one was excellent in CE.

Since we got teased about it and we're moving to 50GB Blu-Ray discs, I'd love the "pew pew" skull that replaces the gun sounds with people making the noises with their mouth.

Some kind of "superhuman" skull where you can make Hulk-side leaps and send people reeling from your melees like explosions would be cool too.

Messing with the AI more substantially would also be interesting for replaying encounters. Make all the Elites run away like cowards, the Grunts always charge you, Hunters just attempt to splatter you, etc.

m23

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is out today and next week is Halo Spartan Assault. I'm not sure if I can spend money on both. For the people who've played Spartan Assault, is it worth $15? I do love twin stick games like that.

Caayn

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is out today and next week is Halo Spartan Assault. I'm not sure if I can spend money on both. For the people who've played Spartan Assault, is it worth $15? I do love twin stick games like that.
I enjoyed the W8 version. And for me it was worth it. If you like twin-stick shooters SA is for you.

The game its fun no doubt about it, quick missions, special objetives, go to A to B gameplay, Halo Terminals cinematics quality, a kinda dumb ending but still its good for killing time.

Havok

I'll offer a dissenting opinion and say that I thought it pretty consistently committed the cardinal sin of being boring. Since it was first and foremost a mobile game, the missions are all super short to accommodate that platform, and its just kind of braindead in how easy it is.

If you're looking for a Halo-ish dual joystick shooter that actually plays to the strength of the genre (over-the-top action and frenetic gameplay), I'd suggest Renegade Ops. It's more or less a Warthog-centric shooter.

A caveat: I haven't played the XB1 version so I don't know if the coop mode is any good or how the extra weapons and abilities affect the game. Having said that, I think it's totally gross that the price was marked up to more than twice the original price because of one new mode and because it's a console release.

Caayn

Having said that, I think it's totally gross that the price was marked up to more than twice the original price because of one new mode and because it's a console release.
Oh wait yes. Completely forgot about the 110% price increase over the existing versions. Does that mean that the console version at least won't have Micro-transactions to compensate the higher price? Please say yes.

Havok

Oh wait yes. Completely forgot about the 110% price increase over the existing versions. Does that mean that the console version at least won't have Micro-transactions to compensate the higher price? Please say yes.
From what I remember of the PC version when I played through it a while back, there was an update at the end of August that let you do just about everything with the in-game currency, so it wasn't even an issue there. It's an inexcusable markup for a game that will be more than six months old at the time of release. All that stuff was super easily ignored too, and just made the game even easier than it already was.

Caayn

From what I remember of the PC version when I played through it a while back, there was an update at the end of August that let you do just about everything with the in-game currency, so it wasn't even an issue there. It's an inexcusable markup for a game that will be more than six months old at the time of release. All that stuff was super easily ignored too, and just made the game even easier than it already was.
Oh wow I really need to wake up >.> second dumb post in a row in this thread. My bad, my bad.
Just checked it and everything is purchasable with the in-game currency on both the W8 and WP8 versions.

My point was that before the update some weapons were locked behind a paywall, I agree that the game was easy enough that you didn't really need them anyway. But it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Is it know/confirmed if the console versions of SA will support cross-saves with the other versions? Just like the WP8 and W8 versions currently do.

m23

Thanks for the impressions. I guess I'll wait for reviews for Spartan Assault and make my choice next week.

Mistel

Banned
Infinity slayer is god awful I just finished a BTB game with 4 binary rifles on the same team and dynamic spawning screwing me over. This doesn't feel like halo at all unfair and dull.

Infinity slayer is god awful I just finished a BTB game with 4 binary rifles on the same team and dynamic spawning screwing me over. This doesn't feel like halo at all unfair and dull.

Yeah, you really have to hope for Team Slayer (I think that's what the Pro-esque variant is called). I still find BTB generally fun for non-serious play, but I always play with a party. Last night Exwife and I were in a game on Longbow which was stupid but took a fun turn after our terrible teammates quit and I got the tank. People are not used to a competent tank user, which is amazingly still a thing even thought it's not exactly hard to use...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom