• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Its not that I really care about it but Arena could have been a system people care about. Its the only playlist-place that caters to the competitive crowd by using matchmaking to do what its actually supposed to do, give players closer skilled oppoenents and teammates. Every other playlist is completely randomized.

First problem was Shishka, OK NinjaOnFire. Whatever, whoever. Gave the first seasons Arena AA's and AR's. Shit that is generally accepted as noob garbage, especially competitive players with positive kill.deaths. Sure theres some competitive nerds who adapt and jetpack up to hidden rocks and get 1% Onyx and have each game mapped out to the tee. The bad settings meant the first seasons ranks were useless, it also drained tons of interest in the Arena. Followed by the fact the seasons went so quick.

Second problem was the individuality ranking instead of win.loss. This meant people on winning teams were competing for kills instead of actively using good teamwork and bailing when they are one shot they would rather take the chance at a kill. Stuff like that so on and so forth. Another huge outcome of this was you couldn't have any objective gametypes in Arena. Such a stupid idea. Especially considering they had the win.loss settings already in the game but didn't switch over until later.

Yes, yes, and yes.
One of my issues with current gen Halo campaigns is that by the end of a level I don't feel like I've killed nearly as many enemies as I should have. I'm never satiated, they just go by so fast. Halo CE's levels felt like little self-contained adventures that went on forever and gave you a shitton of enemies to kill. Fuck repetitive forerunner corridors complaints.
Oh look, a fourth yes!

Also, I liked the Library a ton. It was a nice test of shooting efficiency (accuracy, choice of target, and grenade usage) and weapon selection. I enjoyed it because the weapon settings allowed me to enjoy it (something that didn't happen for me in the next 4 campaigns if i include ODST), and not because I was waiting for some special scripted event or cool level gimmick (oh look this part of the level is blue instead of green) to move me. It also annoys me a little when people criticize the repititious level design in Combat Evolved whilst ignoring how perfectly Bungie nailed the weapons settings in the game (a far more important foundation to enjoying a game, especially for replay value). The tour through the level by guilty spark was fascinating and terrifying at the same time. I did not find it nearly as offensive as others. I thought it fit well within the campaign story. Great stuff.

Aggrotek

If you're good you have 100, if not you suck.

The 1-50 mindset.

No, that's Mustache Marvin 1 and 2.
thing1and2.jpg

Tawpgun

Countdown ain't even that bad. I'd widen the doorways, put in some geometry to help with some map movement, and its fixed.

Only big issue I have over it is no visual cues for red side or blue side. Forge lights would fix that, but its never going to happen. A fix that simple? Pshh...

FyreWulff

Countdown ain't even that bad. I'd widen the doorways, put in some geometry to help with some map movement, and its fixed.

Only big issue I have over it is no visual cues for red side or blue side. Forge lights would fix that, but its never going to happen. A fix that simple? Pshh...

Forge lights drop framerate. Basically nobody should ever waste time putting lights on a map. There's a better use for that 500$ of Forgebux. And they don't render very far away or at all in 4 split. (They didn't even cast light in Halo 3 in splitscreen)

Tawpgun

Forge lights drop framerate. Basically nobody should ever waste time putting lights on a map. There's a better use for that 500$ of Forgebux. And they don't render very far away or at all in 4 split.

On a map like countdown? I've played on a lit countdown. No frame drops.

Kuroyume

Banned
The Library is the closest thing in Halo to classic Doom like gameplay. If you don't like that then... Whatever, I don't know. You're entitled to your bad opinions.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The Library is the closest thing in Halo to classic Doom like gameplay. If you don't like that then... Whatever, I don't know. You're entitled to your bad opinions.

Library was shit. Sorry, it's nothing but repetitive BS. You can like "classic" games all you want, but wanting to keep shit game mechanics like that deserves a hot iron to the nuts.

Why in the world would anyone want that kind of gameplay after levels like The Silent Cartographer and the outdoor parts of Assualt on the Control room?

FyreWulff

Thats about the best you can get it looking, still not a fan of ow washed out and dark things look.

I played a new zombie map "deep space 9" i think it was that had a filter. gtfo please

no u (I submitted that one, made by MrGreenWithAGun)

I also put filters on Downlinked, but people don't seem to actually notice them. They're too busy having fun looking at the spawn camera.

Also, was this Super Jackpot Weekend in ALL of FF MM or just 4 man?

Kuroyume

Banned
Why in the world would anyone want that kind of gameplay after levels like The Silent Cartographer and the outdoor parts of Assualt on the Control room?

Well, it's just one level. It's a nice change of pace and I prefer it over the on rail or shooter sections that were in Reach's campaign and which pop up in other FPS titles.

no u (I submitted that one, made by MrGreenWithAGun)

I also put filters on Downlinked, but people don't seem to actually notice them. They're too busy having fun looking at the spawn camera.

Also, was this Super Jackpot Weekend in ALL of FF MM or just 4 man?

The spawn camera on Deep space 9 was great, the map was .. okay, the filter ruined it

Top Bottom