• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i feel as if bungie really spoiled us with all the vidocs we got. i dont think we're going to get much besides one trailer this summer and maybe one more BTS sometime close to launch.

Please 343, put out a vidoc like this, or perhaps this, describing the changes to MP and your thoughts behind them. Bungie was so great at putting out videos that actually explained their game (such as this), but there's a HUGE hole in the way information is communicated from 343. Fan reaction videos, sizzle reels, typically poor gaming journalism muddling messaging, and now liveblog updates from convention panels is sending tons of incomplete, out of context or poor communicated information to most of the fan base. Please, put something together about your MP along the lines of the vidocs above, they're not only sorely missed, but given the scope of the changes to MP, I think they're a critical tool for actually explaining this stuff in ways 343 has not done a great job of so far.

Please, this. So much.

kylej

Banned
i feel as if bungie really spoiled us with all the vidocs we got. i dont think we're going to get much besides one trailer this summer and maybe one more BTS sometime close to launch.

Keep an eye on MLG Pro twitter feeds, that's where I get most of my Halo 4 information from.

From the funny pics thread.
mdDpH.jpg

And more to the point for me, I think some of 343i's choices from a fiction perspective are stupid. I'm certainly willing to be convinced otherwise, but they really haven't even put any effort into trying to address that either.

Case in point: They've muddled their already-nonsensical Mk IV designs with Forward Unto Dawn... why?
In the phase during the first encounter with the Covenant and the Combat Evolved, we never got a full description how the Chief's armor looked like. The only time we have seen it was in the comic or The Package. In the comic adaption of Fall Of Reach, the armor looks much more different than Halo Wars's Spartan looks like. It resembles more the look of the Package one. And since Halo 3, we know that Spartans wear different armors.

The re-issue of the Book cover is definitely not canon. I would say that 343i gave the artist a free card to do what they wanted to do. It should just get somehow the feeling of the book. The Flood cover proves that they are uncanon.

Sorry, not BTSs. Whatever they're called. 343 releases videos like Halo 4 at E3 that aren't really helpful and don't tell me much. I'd rather see multiplayer ViDocs and the like.
I personally like them because I never considered them as making of or ad. There are just a recap of the events with involving the community.

Vire

In the phase during the first encounter with the Covenant and the Combat Evolved, we never got a full description how the Chief's armor looked like. The only time we have seen it was in the comic or The Package. In the comic adaption of Fall Of Reach, the armor looks much more different than Halo Wars's Spartan looks like. It resembles more the look of the Package one. And since Halo 3, we know that Spartans wear different armors.

The re-issue of the Book cover is definitely not canon. I would say that 343i gave the artist a free card to do what they wanted to do. It should just get somehow the feeling of the book. The Flood cover proves that they are uncanon.

I personally like them because I never considered them as making of or ad. There are just a recap of the events with involving the community.

While I enjoyed them, I rather see those same resources from the editing and production side used elsewhere. (Behind the Scenes Docs)

At 2.05, in this video, the frag grenade explosion pushes the plasma grenade away, it thought it was extremely cool.

Does this happen in any other Halo game? It's something I've never noticed before.

Mostly every halo game you can do that, the plasma grenade take more time to "stick" to the floor so the frag pushed the grenade away but it looked like the grenades are more heavier in Halo 4, In halo Reach it would be go away to the sky.

I wonder if you can still detonate the grenades in the air or lying in the floor

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

See, this gets my heckles up. Certain elements of certain products are canon and other parts are not.

I'm still waiting for a reasonable explanation, promised months back, on why the Chief enters cryo with one set of armour and emerges later with another. Cortana's reprogramming and Glassland's casual and unrelated mention of nano-machines just isn't good enough.

I fully understand the artistic and creative reasons why the Chief looks different but the canon reason haven't been laid out.

Ohhhh shit, are these machinima vidoes just straight up gameplay? Awesome.

Edit: Honestly, this pistol can take more shots to kill than the reach one, but it seems to have less bloom, so I'm okay with the changes there.

Edit 2: Ugh this guy just called it a Prothean shotgun.

GhaleonEB

Still not getting knocked out of scope?

lol...

I'm okay with this. It looks like you now get knocked out of scope when you lose your shields. I'm back to playing Firefight and the in-out-in-out of scope as I'm tagged and zoom back in on Nerfle guys is really annoying. This is one change I'm pretty happy about. The downside is not being able to knock snipers out of scope; my preferred solution is, knock people using the sniper out of scope.

See, this gets my heckles up. Certain elements of certain products are canon and other parts are not.

I'm still waiting for a reasonable explanation, promised months back, on why the Chief enters cryo with one set of armour and emerges later with another. Cortana's reprogramming and Glassland's casual and unrelated mention of nano-machines just isn't good enough.

I fully understand the artistic and creative reasons why the Chief looks different but the canon reason hasn't been laid out.
I never had really nothing against the nano-machine explanation if it works like I imagined. Yes. The mention in Glassland was too short, did not explain anything. But if they work like I imagine. I think during the cyro, the Nano-Machines repair the armor. I never gave attention to the times when I am reading the books, but If I am correct, the time between Halo 3 and Halo 4 was the longest cryo sleep for the Chief, right? A lot of work time for nano-machine and Cortana.

But at the end I do not care if 343i gives me a detailed explanation in the game, on the website or in the book. But it has to be mentioned in the game in a line like "Chief during your time in cyro, I adjust your armor with the help of nanomachines."

And about Cortana look? She is an AI. Maybe she tried to hide her age with the new look and reprogrammed it. But look above. It needs to be said in the game by the Chief that she looks different.

We are two different people. I am not like who focus much more on the canon, who wants a clear line, a clear direction.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
And about Cortana look? She is an AI. Maybe she tried to hide her age with the new look and reprogrammed it. But look above. It needs to be said in the game by the Chief that she looks different.

We are two different people. I am not like who focus much more on the canon, who wants a clear line, a clear direction.

Cortana's look is almost irrelevant. It's a hologram and she could, in theory, change it at any time.

Nano-machines, in the context of Halo (regretfully introduced at all), don't replace entire armour hardware. They do field repairs and emergency sealing and whatnot.

Halo 4 Chief looks like he's stepped out of a armour factory with the latest tech, put some dents in it to give it a beat up look and popped back into the cyro pod when we weren't looking.

After Reach, there is no excuse for poor canon continuity, especially with the hard working creative talent they have on the game and franchise.

I'm okay with this. It looks like you now get knocked out of scope when you lose your shields. I'm back to playing Firefight and the in-out-in-out of scope as I'm tagged and zoom back in on Nerfle guys is really annoying. This is one change I'm pretty happy about. The downside is not being able to knock snipers out of scope; my preferred solution is, knock people using the sniper out of scope.

I wouldn't say I'm HAPPY about it, but I agree with you that getting hit and trying to unscope and having it put you back in scope and then getting hit again and that whole dance is really, really annoying.

The more I see of Haven, the more I like it.

Vire

Why is the Spartan Laser in Reach but not Halo 1 or 2?

There's just some things you have to accept. It's a video game...

I wouldn't let the Chief Armor thing bother you.

Fuchsdh

Cortana's look is almost irrelevant. It's a hologram and she could, in theory, change it at any time.

Nano-machines, in the context of Halo (regretfully introduced at all), don't replace entire armour hardware. They do field repairs and emergency sealing and whatnot.

Halo 4 Chief looks like he's stepped out of a armour factory with the latest tech, put some dents in it to give it a beat up look and popped back into the cyro pod when we weren't looking.

After Reach, there is no excuse for poor canon continuity, especially with the hard working creative talent they have on the game and franchise.

Amen.

Tawpgun

If Halo 4 offers a 4 on 4 competetive playlist with predictable weapon spawns and pre-set loadouts...

And offers lulzy Infninty Slayer public donging.

And offers pre-set loadout BTB with good vehicle/infantry mechanics.

GOTY

As far as aesthetic continuity... Frankie said they will explain chiefs new look. I think. But either way, it's a goddamn video game. Aside from Halo 4, I'm hyped to play as an assassin in a white hood and coat walking around English occupied Boston with a fuckton of weapons on him and being able to still blend with plain people.

I never had really nothing against the nano-machine explanation if it works like I imagined. Yes. The mention in Glassland was too short, did not explain anything. But if they work like I imagine. I think during the cyro, the Nano-Machines repair the armor. I never gave attention to the times when I am reading the books, but If I am correct, the time between Halo 3 and Halo 4 was the longest cryo sleep for the Chief, right? A lot of work time for nano-machine and Cortana.

But at the end I do not care if 343i gives me a detailed explanation in the game, on the website or in the book. But it has to be mentioned in the game in a line like "Chief during your time in cyro, I adjust your armor with the help of nanomachines."

Glasslands states that the nano-machines are a new feature for Mark VII.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There will be new news on the campagna?? If yes what time??

Comic Con is over for Halo this year, most of us are getting on planes to go back today. We have seven weeks to finish the game and get it to certification. We will definitely follow up on the comic con reveals with some details, and maybe I can convince David to make some animated gifs, but for now we must head North and start typing computer programs in earnest. Don't forget to listen to the two latest podcasts.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Comic Con is over for Halo this year, most of us are getting on planes to go back today. We have seven weeks to finish the game and get it to certification. We will definitely follow up on the comic con reveals with some details, and maybe I can convince David to make some animated gifs, but for now we must head North and start typing computer programs in earnest. Don't forget to listen to the two latest podcasts.
Are you mostly going dark on new stuff during those 7 weeks?

A couple of neat little things that were in that machinima video:

1) If you suicide/jump off the map, you can't insta-respawn.
2) You're forced to spawn even if you're changing your loadout, which someone was arguing with me about maybe a week ago.

Halo Italy

Neo Member

So no news on the campaign video :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom