• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Xbox One "Legitimate", No Longer A Trilogy, Now A Saga

MaGlock

Could they abolish sprint and all the other things they've been taking from CoD now for the past few years, repackage Halo 3 multiplayer a few things cut and enhanced and call it a return to form? or is it too late to go back?

Zimmer also did MW2, which really sounds like a play with the Dark Knight soundtrack.

Halo becoming like COD oh no

Sorry....I can't...hear you....over this amazin....daft punk.....oh wait.

That's it! Daft Punk! They did TRON (seriously, the movie was kinda boring, but the soundtrack made it bearable)).

---

True, somewhat about Zimmer (sorta, Gulag Intro, one of my favorite tracks isn't so much like the Dark Knight as the other tracks).

But Zimmer is far from repetitive. That's like saying Sherock Holmes is the same as Kung Fu Panda (brilliant score, btw, regardless of the movie) is the same as the Lion King is the same as The Thin Red Line is the same as Man of Steel is the same as INCEPTION! "Time" beats "Green and Blue" any day if you're going for emotion and beauty. Dude, imagine if something like Time played at the time Green and Blue did! It's weird, you listen to some of his stuff, and it seems the same (like Crysis 2, MW2, and the Dark Knight), but then you listen to Time and he doesn't seem so repetative.

Also, like I said, he's good at copying the feel of other tracks if he wants to. True, he did provide the main themes for PotC originally, but after the other dude took over, he was able to keep the exact same feel. I think he could do it.

Or we could just go crazy and say Zimmer and Daft Punk collaborate and have the whole world explode.
Ya know how they say don't shop while you're hungery? Yeah, well, I'm listening to Steam Machine vs. Da Funk right now

Zimmer also did MW2, which really sounds like a play with the Dark Knight soundtrack.

Halo becoming like COD oh no

Zimmer did like on track on MW2. He also did like one track for Crysis 2. It's like Clint Mansell phoning in one track for Mass Effect 3. It's a stupid trend that makes people gloss over the fact that some very talented composers did their very best, only to get overshadowed by a movie composer who wanted another dinosaur in his theme park.

Davidge's work was fine, 343 just needs to work on their implementation of the music. If he can create more "Green and Blue", by all means, I'd love to have him on board. Otherwise just let Kazuma Jinnouchi do everything, some of the best tracks on the soundtrack are already his.

Zimmer did like on track on MW2. He also did like one track for Crysis 2. It's like Clint Mansell phoning in one track for Mass Effect 3.

Davidge's work was fine, 343 just needs to work on their implementation of the music. If he can create more "Green and Blue", by all means, I'd love to have him on board. Otherwise just let Kazuma Jinnouchi do everything, some of the best tracks on the soundtrack are already his.

I think Zimmer did more than one track. Like, he did the them and stuff, but I know he did Gulag Intro as well.

Yes. I'm sorry, Davidge is fine, but Jinnouchi really would do a better.

Otherwise Zimmer. At least let him try. He hasn't one like, all the awards for nothing.

EDIT: what is it with me and double posts today? :/

Satchel

Banned
Could they abolish sprint and all the other things they've been taking from CoD now for the past few years, repackage Halo 3 multiplayer a few things cut and enhanced and call it a return to form? or is it too late to go back?

Leave sprint. There's nothing wrong with it.

Remove shields and the radar and get the multiplayer closer to SWAT, which has been the best Halo MP experience for nearly 3 years now.

Otherwise Zimmer. At least let him try. He hasn't one like, all the awards for nothing

If the amount of awards someone gathered were a sign of musical quality, we might want to consider Justin Bieber.
Not that Zimmer is a hack, but come on. Get someone who actually plays the game and understands it to compose, not someone who has a big name.

Remove shields and the radar and get the multiplayer closer to SWAT, which has been the best Halo MP experience for nearly 3 years now.

I love sprint in most games. It can be frustrating without it, but I wouldn't mind Halo doing without it. It kinda hurts the feel. I like how Reach handled it.

---

Does anybody think (just for fun) that Daft Punk could do a video game (DJ Hero doesn't count. It doesn't have a "score)? Could they conceivably do something like Halo? The more I think about that, the more I like it tbqh.

Yes, I know they have a thing with Sony, but Bangalter has said they do what they want with their music, and nobody but them controls what they do. Besides, I don't believe the contract covers other stuff like that.

If the amount of awards someone gathered were a sign of musical quality, we might want to consider Justin Bieber.
Not that Zimmer is a hack, but come on. Get someone who actually plays the game and understands it to compose, not someone who has a big name.

Zimmer is very good with working with other people (that's why he has his own club thing with a bunch of other guys like Powell, Gregson-Williams, and a bunch of other really talented/famous composers). So, like, what if he collaborated with Jinnouchi -- Zimmer for themes and orchestration with Jinnouchi helping and doing the "fitting" into the actual game? You said, understand the game, right? Yeah, Zimmer does not do stuff he doesn't understand as much as is physically possible. You should here what he has to say about some of the scores he does. Like, how he did the Joker, or the philosophy behind the instrumentation in Holmes and how it related to each and every second of it. Crazy stuff. But seriously, Zimmer had no previous experience with Batman (or even super heroes in general), and yet with batman he ended up, quite honestly, revolutionizing how scores are done. Now everybody copies him
and he really doesn't like it. He says he wishes others would be more creative. He said once he almost wishes he'd never done the score because now scores do that style all the time

MaGlock

NO Dear god please NO. Leave swat as it is a game mode for people who like it. I dont want to turn halo into a one shot headshot-fest. if i wanted to kill and be killed by one shot id play CoD. And as for sprint its a glorified way to get away from a bad situation. If i get the jump on a player its just a means to run away from a fight.

Zimmer did like on track on MW2. He also did like one track for Crysis 2. It's like Clint Mansell phoning in one track for Mass Effect 3. It's a stupid trend that makes people gloss over the fact that some very talented composers did their very best, only to get overshadowed by a movie composer who wanted another dinosaur in his theme park.

I think this is the biggest issue. The best thing about the soundtracks of the prior games is how well they are integrated with the game. Listening to Halo 3's soundtrack is almost like playing through the game, every track paints a picture of the particular campaign section it played through. In halo 4, I frequently couldn't even really hear the music, and can hardly think of any distinctive moments where a particular song punctuated the scenario at all. One notable exception was that first moment when you clear the wreckage of the Dawn and emerge into Requiem proper for the first time, , this was a great moment where the sound really enhanced the atmosphere. There might have been a few more instances, but none come to mind, because even standout songs like To Galaxy and 117 weren't particularly well used in game.

Striker

Sprint isn't good for smaller maps, or balanced for gametypes like CTF. Somebody will surely say "well keep it for big maps!", but I'm for keeping things exactly the same across all playlists rather than splintering it up like it's been the past few games due to TU's and reasons (AA's, others).

The Halo I've come to love and desire to come back to on a daily basis is gone. I don't see them changing their guard and removing everything they've added (but freely removed everything that worked well!), so meh.

Ushae

Banned
I really need to catch up on Spartan Ops.

Same here, didn't do any episodes after 4 .. those cut scenes were incredible. Now might be a good time to jump back in. Damn backlog playing AC3 + DLC, then have the final Borderlands 2 DLC to get through and finally Halo 4.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Can never have too much Halo. I guess as long as they keep the momentum of the story, I'll keep coming back to the franchise. There's still a lot of ground to cover in the forerunner arc.
Pretty much. Start fleshing out the story in the actual games. There's a lot they can do as with most space opera sci-fi. Just give coherency.

Activision and Bungie both like money. This is a business, they are both going to do everything in their power to maximize profit margins. If you think Destiny isn't going to be milked if it proves to be very successful, I don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry but Activision and Bungie don't care about you, they care about your wallet.

I was talking about how we're only to expect 3 Destiny games, unlike Halo, which will be going to 9 mainline entries at this point. Activision is my least favourite publisher, but Bungie owns the rights to this game, and I wouldn't expect a developer of this caliber to make the same game more than 3 times, like they did with Halo. Especially after what happened with Microsoft.

Pretty much. Start fleshing out the story in the actual games. There's a lot they can do as with most space opera sci-fi. Just give coherency.

Yes, please more story in the actual games. Having novels/shows/movies is fine, even great, but give the games enough story to stand on their own.

Top Bottom