• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Xbox One "Legitimate", No Longer A Trilogy, Now A Saga

Marleyman

Banned
Hell we had 3 Uncharted games in 4 years. Milking is such a stupid complaint. Nothing i forcing people to play every game in a series. If you think franchise X has to many releases then skip some of them.

Yep; I am doing that with AC: Black Flag..first one I refuse to play.

abadguy

Banned
Hell we had 3 Uncharted games in 4 years. Milking is such a stupid complaint. Nothing i forcing people to play every game in a series. If you think franchise X has to many releases then skip some of them.

It's only "milking" when it's a series they don't personally like or the series in question or if it's on a console they don't like etc, etc.

Krakn3Dfx

Sounds like Halo isn't for you and never will be. What game franchise do you participate in?

The overall story arc and characters in the Gears' series was a high cut above what Halo offers. Played all of them and loved them, and they even did something different and interesting with Judgment when it was looked at as being unnecessary by a lot of gamers.

nbraun80

I welcome more Halo if some of them don't feature the Chief. I love the Chief but he needs to take a rest.

I would love to see some ODST like games that were designed primarily for co-op featuring Spartan IVs between games featuring Master Chief. 343 proved that they can make a good Halo game so I would trust that they can do this right.

Whatever they do, please finish the story. I don't want anymore Shenmues in my life.

take a rest? It was like 5 years from chief in h3 and h4.

iMax

Halo CE's barely edges it out for me, but yeah, ODST's campaign is absolutely outstanding.

Halo CE's campaign is decent but way too repetitive. The amount of times I have to re-trace my footsteps in those damn corridors is unreal.

Spawnling

What's wrong with Halo 4?

gxylCvt.png

Walshicus

Halo CE's barely edges it out for me, but yeah, ODST's campaign is absolutely outstanding.

I still can't decide whether I like ODST or Reach's soundtrack more. ODST's works well on its own, but I love the sense of desperate futility that Reach portrays really well.

Arment

The only thing Halo has going for it now is that it isn't CoD. But if they go yearly it will complete the transformation. Innovate some new shit.

Being constantly milked for all that nostalgia and money is bound to make the creative well run dry I guess.

This is actually when I plan on getting an Xbox One. PS4 this year, next year getting the console along with Halo 5. Going to be a great day.

Overdoziz

Banned
Me to. I absolutely love the mp. I think it is great how they made it so that a group cant just control the power weapon spawns any more. Now you have to be mobile since you dont know where the power weapons are going to spawn. I really hope they dont bactktrack on all the new stuff they added since some people didnt like them.
From what I understand they already backtracked on it with the recent weapon rebalance update. Which is good, because randomized weapon spawns are dumb.

Ugh...after Halo 4 my only interest in this series is the single player. I thought Halo 4's single player was amazing but the multiplayer was just god awful.

If this is implying a yearly release I am not interested.

343i is a big studio and I know they were created to churn out more Halo games but surely they can take a break and do something else so the devs don't get bored. I want the same for Guerilla games.

Monocle

I still can't decide whether I like ODST or Reach's soundtrack more. ODST's works well on its own, but I love the sense of desperate futility that Reach portrays really well.
I prefer ODST's for sure. Still sounds like classic Halo, but tinged with jazz and shaded down from the sweeping highs of previous soundtracks. I just love how the somber tone captures the loneliness of the nighttime hub world. Also the beginning part of Finale hits me right in the feels. It's like spring rain in musical form. So good.

Sibylus

Banned
Speaking as someone whose interest in 5 waned and fell off right before release... is the game worth giving a second glance?

What's wrong with Halo 4?

I still like Halo, but Halo 4 did pretty much everything wrong to me. Many things in Halo 4 felt completely out of place with how things were before, and they new stuff was worse. For example all the new UNSC stuff was the complete opposite of their previous style which had been mostly sharp edges and flat sections on their vehicles and weapons - instead it had been replaced with rounded edges and curves (which was what the Covenant style was). Compare the two pelicans and you'll see. Then there was stuff like Forerunner architecture looking completely different with neon red lines everwhere and similar things.

The retcons are annoying as well. Things like the MJOLNIR Mark VI being retconned to always look how Chiefs armour does now (or at least very similar) and the Forward unto Dawn/Charon-class Frigates being completely changed.

No one really seemed to care or be surprised they found the Chief, either. Even the soundtrack was completely unmemorable, to me at least - there were many tracks in the previous games that i love but i can't remember any from Halo 4 at all.

Hopefully this new saga will fix things, although for some things it seems like it's too late to change them. I'll still buy the new Halo games and play them but i don't think they will be as good as the ones made by Bungie.

Marleyman

Banned
The overall story arc and characters in the Gears' series was a high cut above what Halo offers. Played all of them and loved them, and they even did something different and interesting with Judgment when it was looked at as being unnecessary by a lot of gamers.

Gears story was a high cut above Halo? I don't agree..not at all and I enjoyed them both.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
But weren't their mentions of the reclaimer trilogy? Or was that something the press/fans made up?

We definitely did, several months before the game came out (and there's still a three story arc which has a beginning, a middle and an end) but the actual "saga" was also in Spartan Ops and Terminals too (Terminal story being off-disc is a legitimate complaint we won't have to worry about next-gen) , so the numbering was misleading and we changed the phrasing a long time before the game launched. Phil is simply rephrasing that, not announcing something.

Stupid mech? I had a blast on that part with my co-op buddy. To each his own.

I should note that I have long been one that has decried what I find to be an overemphasis on vehicular combat sequences in the series. Yeah, tooling around in the warthog was fun in Halo 1. In Halo 2, they went nuts with the amount of time the game was geared to being in a ghost or tank or banshee or the gunner position in a hog, and it's been the same ever since, I don't like it.

Just to get ahead of it, the common retort to my criticism has been "just play on foot." And my common response to that is "it doesn't seem like it would be fun to go against the obvious intent of the level, but I might try it should I ever decide to play those games again."

Consider yourself up to speed and now the "stupid mech" remark should be in proper context. I am simply conditioned to loathe most vehicle sequences, particularly any new vehicle.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Frank, just make those terminals non-existent. Put all that story in the game. Halo 4 would have benefited from it immensely. Just putting videos in-game but still hidden in terminals wouldn't have helped.

:)

Xater

Frank, just make those terminals non-existent. Put all that story in the game. Halo 4 would have benefited from it immensely. Just putting videos in-game but still hidden in terminals wouldn't have helped.

:)

Oh yes. if you have cool story/lore don#t hie it somewhere. It's dumb.

Monocle

Gears story was a high cut above Halo? I don't agree..not at all and I enjoyed them both.
Yeah, I can't relate to that view at all. Halo's story is great, but you have to dig into the subtle stuff Bungie was so good at, as well as the expanded fiction (it's really quite good), to really appreciate it.

Sibylus

Banned
Only if you're a fan, which you don't make it sound like you are.
I guess I'll clarify: feel like things have been stagnating or running downhill since 2 (1 for mission design, 2 for story inclusion), though I did find Reach to have elements of its multiplayer that I loved quite a bit. It's complicated.

I loved halo4's story, graphics, and single player. I enjoyed spartan ops, though I admittedly need to finish the last episode.

Calling Halo 4 "terrible" sounds ridiculous, especially considering it was overall favorably recieved, had a good meta critic score, etc, despite the MP not having the same legs as previous games in the series. But at least 343 was trying something different. As a freshman effort from a new studio, it was excellent. Interested to see where the next game goes.

Spot on.

Overdoziz

Banned
I should note that I have long been one that has decried what I find to be an overemphasis on vehicular combat sequences in the series. Yeah, tooling around in the warthog was fun in Halo 1. In Halo 2, they went nuts with the amount of time the game was geared to being in a ghost or tank or banshee or the gunner position in a hog, and it's been the same ever since, I don't like it.

Just to get ahead of it, the common retort to my criticism has been "just play on foot." And my common response to that is "it doesn't seem like it would be fun to go against the obvious intent of the level, but I might try it should I ever decide to play those games again."

Consider yourself up to speed and now the "stupid mech" remark should be in proper context. I am simply conditioned to loathe most vehicle sequences, particularly any new vehicle.
I don't know about Halo 4, but in previous Halos nearly all vehicle levels were great on foot too. Definitely more challenging, but usually there are enough anti-vehicle weapons lying around to take down enemies, plus it mixes things up nicely.

Fracas

#fuckonami
This particular quote doesn't really mean much, but I'm almost positive Halo will be an annual franchise next gen. How many developers contributed to Halo 4? Wouldn't be surprised to see them get their own game.
I loved halo4's story, graphics, and single player. I enjoyed spartan ops, though I admittedly need to finish the last episode.

Calling Halo 4 "terrible" sounds ridiculous, especially considering it was overall favorably recieved, had a good meta critic score, etc, despite the MP not having the same legs as previous games in the series. But at least 343 was trying something different. As a freshman effort from a new studio, it was excellent. Interested to see where the next game goes.

In short, no, I do not agree with the hate. Plus there is much more competition on the platform, shooter wise these days. Was COD as much of a beast when halo 3 came out?

I wouldn't call Halo 4 terrible, but the vast departure from previous entries (i.e borrowing major mechanics from other shooters that simply do not work in Halo) without adding anything unique makes it a game that I can't describe as great.

Top Bottom