• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Xbox One "Legitimate", No Longer A Trilogy, Now A Saga

Hoo boy, this can't be good. Sometimes it's better when you wait 2 or 3 years for the next game than a yearly release. Stop milking the damn franchise, it's like Microsoft's got no other first party exclusives for hardcore gamers other than Gears.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hoo boy, this can't be good. Sometimes it's better when you wait 2 or 3 years for the next game than a yearly release. Stop milking the damn franchise, it's like Microsoft's got no other first party exclusives for hardcore gamers other than Gears.

Where do people keep getting "yearly release?"

The main games will still most likely be 2-3 years apart.

Where the hell did they say they're going to be yearly releases now?

WJD

Halo's been an almost yearly franchise for a while.
As long as proper Master Chief centric games stay at least 2 years apart I'll be fine.

What is this obsession with trilogies?

They milk the shit out of franchises any way, why bother calling stuff "trilogies" and working round it with sequel trilogies and non-numbered games, so silly.

Hindle

Banned

It's best if you get your best selling franchises out as soon as possible, especially when you're launching at a more expensive price then the competition.

RoKKeR

I don't even know what the hell a saga is. And it's too bad they backpedaled on the "Reclaimer Trilogy" because I actually really liked the sound of that.

Proelite

The only way that this isn't going to go wrong is if you incorporate feedback and improve the sequels.

Who am I kidding they'll probably change everything again for each single game just so they can say they aren't milking the franchise.

Kydd BlaZe

Please no more covenant. Lets see interesting new villians and concepts instead of playing it "safe"
Please, no more prometheans either. They were extremely annoying to fight. I know that they are probably integral to the story, but they seriously need a re-design if they are here to stay.

bidguy

Banned
Please no more covenant. Lets see interesting new villians and concepts instead of playing it "safe"

wouldnt really work story wise cause the covenant are still pretty present (need to read the books to realise it though, 343 did a poor job showing this).

they should drop the prometheans and start putting the precursors out in the front.

VeeP

So Halo 5 is coming out in 2014? How the hell will 343i manage that? That gives them roughly, a bit less than 2 years development time. Halo 4 has 2-3 years development time, and even then it felt rushed, lost features, and things like the UI were outsourced.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Please, no more prometheans either. They were extremely annoying to fight. I know that they are probably integral to the story, but they seriously need a re-design if they are here to stay.

Yeah they we re aggravating bullet sponges which made ammo a scavenger game. Got an awesome new weapon? Fuck it - no chance for ammo and you're stuck using an awful promethean weapon

I'd honestly hope they'd bring more covenant enemy types and use interesting scenarios like a jackal phalanx and new enemies which cause me to use all axis for combat

Halo 1 was all X/Y/Z

Halo 4 was too much emphasis of X/Y, I didn't feel like I could use charge tactics effectively and it was more pop, shoot and cover

Fix that and make the story less cheesy and more like there's a true danger instead of like a serial TV show "monster of the week" and I'll be happy. Make the emotional moments actually emotional too

Computer

Talk about milking a game franchise. There are 100's of Mario and Mario spin off's. Nine CODS and I don't even know how many Final Fantasy games there are.

I will give one more halo game a chance. If it doesn't change the things I disliked from 4 than I will be over it. You have one more chance 343.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I will give one more halo game a chance. If it doesn't change the things I disliked from 4 than I will be over it. You have one more chance 343.

Yup, considering it was their first title as a studio, I am willing to give them another chance

They got a lot of things right but a lot of things wrong and we have seen that they understood some of the mistakes they have made

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The next Halo will simply be titled Halo, this way it will pull people in thinking it's a reboot when instead it's just going to be balls out 343 envisioned Halo. believe dat

The other reason to title it Halo instead of Halo 5 is probably because they don't want players thinking they have to play H1-4 to get the story.

/shootinginthedark

boi

Neo Member
This should be way bigger news, shouldn't it? People really lost a lot of interest in the series.

Sounds like they're not content with the path they took with Halo 4 and just want to tell a different story every year that isn't neccesarily tied to the Didact stuff. As far as I can remember from my (very likeable) Halo 4 playthrough, the end didnt really set up anything specific for a continuiing story so they should be in a good position to do that. Not sure if I'm buying Halo annually though, I used to see it as a game I 'have to have' every 3 years or so.

iMax

So Halo 5 is coming out in 2014? How the hell will 343i manage that? That gives them roughly, a bit less than 2 years development time. Halo 4 has 2-3 years development time, and even then it felt rushed, lost features, and things like the UI were outsourced.

They're a huge studio (bigger than Naughty Dog, even). I'm sure they're capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously.

The next Halo will simply be titled Halo, this way it will pull people in thinking it's a reboot when instead it's just going to be balls out 343 envisioned Halo. believe dat

The other reason to title it Halo instead of Halo 5 is probably because they don't want players thinking they have to play H1-4 to get the story.

/shootinginthedark

After the 'events' of Halo 4, I'd say you're spot on.

J-Roderton

I've gone from the biggest Halo fan to almost the opposite. I've given up hope on that franchise, seeing how they have countinuously butchered the multiplayer.

Demon Ice

Banned
I'll happily call the game terrible. It killed my interest in the franchise for the foreseeable future. As someone who bought the OG Xbox and Xbox 360 purely for Halo I'm quite sad about Halo's current state. Both in the campaign and multiplayer 343 has made some major design choices which just don't resonate with me at all. I've made several long posts talking about my complaints regarding multiplayer, but this time I'll focus on the campaign:

Kudos for this post. Nails almost every reason I disliked Halo 4. I would like to add some of the new weapons sound effects were weak, the Promethean weapons were not creative or interesting at all, and the graphics were very inconsistent.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Does anyone actually care about the story in Halo? The more they expanded on it the worse it got, the game design has not evolved at all in almost 10 years while the dreadful story received successively more lavish attention.

Personally I think ODST is the best sequel because it focuses on a new gameplay idea and structure. I'd much rather they make another game like that rather than building more and more story layers onto the existing characters.

Bombadil

Banned
Does anyone actually care about the story in Halo? The more they expanded on it the worse it got, the game design has not evolved at all in almost 10 years while the dreadful story received successively more lavish attention.

Personally I think ODST is the best sequel because it focuses on a new gameplay idea and structure.

I cared about the story because I thought Halo 2 had an amazing story. Halo 3's campaign was disappointing, though. And Halo 4 is just a poorly executed game in many respects.

Additionally, the MP has also taken a dive so there really is no positive to the series anymore.

goldenpp72

Halo 4 is the most disappointing Halo to me since 2, the visuals were not nearly as beautiful as expected (the best looking areas were the ones shown, and all that stuff was baked in backgrounds). The inability to back track, corridors galore, horrific story with a terrible central 'bad guy' that you barely ever see, stupid added qtes, the series has gone from one of my more favored shooters to something that is no better than your average COD campaign. I really hope that Halo 4s limited campaign and horrible buggy flaws were just first game jitters and the inability to pump out the desired graphics on an old system. Halo 5 needs to have big scale and knock out innovative gameplay to really redeem the developer.

I actually liked the multi player though but got bored if it in a week or so, the series needs a unique shot in the arm, not a developer chasing COD money while butchering the elements that make Halo special.

-The scale of encounters is toned down.
Halo Reach already had smaller encounters than Halo 3, but Halo 4 doesn't do anything to fix that either. Battles like the ones towards the end of the The Ark or the double Scarab fight during The Covenant are nowhere to be seen in Halo 4. While playing the level with the Mammoth I was waiting for a battle against a big army, but all we got was a couple of Wraiths and a Ghost here and there at most. In total the level had quite a few vehicles, but that's only because you fought wave after wave of one Wraith and two Ghosts. I'm not sure why Scarabs didn't make it into Reach and Halo 4. Sure, after a couple of times they became easy to take down, but I feel like if they were expanded upon some great things could've come out of it.

I'll give you the reason there aren't any Scarabs in Halo 4 and Reach: Jetpacks. With armor abilities, a Scarab will have to be much more agile.

It would be way too easy to take them down.

I do agree that they need to open up the levels a bit more.

Yeah they we re aggravating bullet sponges which made ammo a scavenger game. Got an awesome new weapon? Fuck it - no chance for ammo and you're stuck using an awful promethean weapon

I'd honestly hope they'd bring more covenant enemy types and use interesting scenarios like a jackal phalanx and new enemies which cause me to use all axis for combat

Halo 1 was all X/Y/Z

Halo 4 was too much emphasis of X/Y, I didn't feel like I could use charge tactics effectively and it was more pop, shoot and cover

Fix that and make the story less cheesy and more like there's a true danger instead of like a serial TV show "monster of the week" and I'll be happy. Make the emotional moments actually emotional too

What difficulty were you playing on?

Halo 4 is the most disappointing Halo to me since 2, the visuals were not nearly as beautiful as expected (the best looking areas were the ones shown, and all that stuff was baked in backgrounds). The inability to back track, corridors galore, horrific story with a terrible central 'bad guy' that you barely ever see, stupid added qtes, the series has gone from one of my more favored shooters to something that is no better than your average COD campaign. I really hope that Halo 4s limited campaign and horrible buggy flaws were just first game jitters and the inability to pump out the desired graphics on an old system. Halo 5 needs to have big scale and knock out innovative gameplay to really redeem the developer.

I actually liked the multi player though but got bored if it in a week or so, the series needs a unique shot in the arm, not a developer chasing COD money while butchering the elements that make Halo special.

Holy shit, you are the first person I have seen say anything bad about Halo 4's graphics.

Deku Tree

I played all the Bungie Halo games thousands of times. I am a Bungie fan. Glad they went multiplat. As I am going to skip the future Halo's and try to become a Destiny fan now.

nomis

Um we said this verbatim about a year ago, since the story also spans Spartan Ops and other media.

But please, carry on.

142.gif

Top Bottom