• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku Project Diva series general discussion thread

Syn23

Afhvc.jpg

sakipon

I don't get the Vita skin craze. Skins look great on that glorious 3DS lid with plenty of estate, but on Vita... meh. You need that wallpaper to perfect the look.

I'm still waiting for some real special design Vitas. Miku would've been a nice choice to start with.

Weekly Diva Station updates, doing them in chronological order this time:

4/26: Next Hatsune Miku Project DIVA will release on August 30. The Vita card version will cost 7,329 yen while the PSN version will cost 6,600 yen. The aforementioned Vita front decoration serves both as decoration and as a screen protector.

4/26: Some gameplay explanation of the scratch notes - apparently your performance can also change the visual presentation? Results screens also now have a graph showing your whole-song performance, like IIDX has done for more than a decade...

4/27: BD set of the latest concerts on 3/8 and 3/9 will be coming August 29. There will also be a making-of documentary airing on TOKYO MX May 19.

matmanx1

Weekly Diva Station updates, doing them in chronological order this time:

4/26: Next Hatsune Miku Project DIVA will release on August 30. The Vita card version will cost 7,329 yen while the PSN version will cost 6,600 yen. The aforementioned Vita front decoration serves both as decoration and as a screen protector.

4/26: Some gameplay explanation of the scratch notes - apparently your performance can also change the visual presentation? Results screens also now have a graph showing your whole-song performance, like IIDX has done for more than a decade...

4/27: BD set of the latest concerts on 3/8 and 3/9 will be coming August 29. There will also be a making-of documentary airing on TOKYO MX May 19.

Does Play-Asia usually give out pre-order bonuses? I don't remember ever getting one from them before. AmiAmi got me my pre-order bonus from Code of Princess and NCSX did so for my Tales of Graces "X" Edition PS3 so I definitely trust them for doing so if Play-Asia doesn't.

kiryogi

Banned
Playasia is really hit or miss. It depends on when your orders ship out from what I've gathered. Id either go with amiami or NCSX if you want bonuses. Although for NCSX you need to preorder as early as possible.

Wonko_C

So the game right now is being demoed in Japan... 60 fps? I found a video on nico nico douga that is tagged 60 fps, but it looks 30 fps to me, maybe because of the ugly compression? do I need premium to see it in its full glory? We need to know, we wants it, we needs it... Must have the precioussss 60fps.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17536042

It looks like the guy just used motion interpolation on the original video, and only on the part without gameplay. Doesn't really look right.

Wonko_C

So we still don't know if the game is 60fps or not. By the way, the other thread has a nice off-screen gameplay video where we can see how "scratching" works, the loading times (nearly 30 seconds, ouch) and the menus.

So we still don't know if the game is 60fps or not. By the way, the other thread has a nice off-screen gameplay video where we can see how "scratching" works, the loading times (nearly 30 seconds, ouch) and the menus.
Its not 30 seconds its the average loading we had on psp.They just talked during the option screen before the level.
If im not mistaken it was the equivalent of the psp one where you can set up your sounds effects before the level. They continued to talk but the loading was long done.

Wonko_C

I checked the video again and you're right, it's actually less than 20 seconds. It just seemed longer to me at first.

I checked the video again and you're right, it's actually less than 20 seconds. It just seemed longer to me at first.

youtube caching ?
EDIT : anyway ..i ve no problem regardi ng the new mecanics , or the new things they added ..i can only hope for lots of support in terms of songs

Priz

I pitched to the guy in charge of that project diva extend translation patch to contact the producer of the vita game to offer their English menu data they've done so far for the PSP games to see of we could get sega to just ship the vita version with both Japanese & English menus but he never replied to my email. Ah well...

I pitched to the guy in charge of that project diva extend translation patch to contact the producer of the vita game to offer their English menu data they've done so far for the PSP games to see of we could get sega to just ship the vita version with both Japanese & English menus but he never replied to my email. Ah well...

SEGA is perfectly capable of implementing an English menu without outside assistance.

matmanx1

English menu option would be a nice nod to the Western fanbase. It's a great idea but I seriously doubt it would ever be implemented by SEGA. Publishers generally want their products to be as region specific and refined as possible.

That being said Namco did include some english in the menus of the latest Gundam Extreme VS so it's certainly not without precedent.

Priz

SEGA is perfectly capable of implementing an English menu without outside assistance.
When I talked to the Sega staff at the EXTEND event I went to in October, most were surprised there were people from outside Japan who actually owned/played/knew the game series so none of them saw the need for such a thing.

IMG_0634.JPG

On a whim, I sent him a message earlier and got this reply -

https://twitter.com/makoosa/statuses/196477025937137665

SnowHawk: if you have a PSP, there's a patch/plugin file you can use with the retail UMD PSP game to play it almost fully in English:

http://projectdiva.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49&sid=1ec4f36e9a8e1ce3e528fca78a3bc730
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9276

matmanx1

Hard to tell from the off screen footage but the models look really clean and maybe like their might be some AA going on, which is nice. I look forward to seeing it in person.

And just out of curiosity I wonder how many non Japanese, English speaking Miku fans their are in the world who would be interested in seeing the PD games translated. Obviously there have been some Miku concerts on the West Coast of the USA and she's a known quantity in Otaku circles but I truly wonder what her fanbase is like outside of Japan.

abusori

And just out of curiosity I wonder how many non Japanese, English speaking Miku fans their are in the world who would be interested in seeing the PD games translated. Obviously there have been some Miku concerts on the West Coast of the USA and she's a known quantity in Otaku circles but I truly wonder what her fanbase is like outside of Japan.

This is a good question. I know there's a decent amount of us, but I have no idea if it's simply a very vocal (be glad I decided not to make that pun) group or if there's actually a very large fanbase.

It probably is mostly a vocal minority, only a few of her videos on Youtube went mega viral, namely the World is Mine concert video which was mainly popular because people mistook it for some new holographic tech.

sakipon

It probably is mostly a vocal minority, only a few of her videos on Youtube went mega viral, namely the World is Mine concert video which was mainly popular because people mistook it for some new holographic tech.
Then again, do people need to be familiar with Miku to enjoy the games? It could look like a new original rhythm IP to some and I'd be fine with it.

Wonko_C

Then again, do people need to be familiar with Miku to enjoy the games? It could look like a new original rhythm IP to some and I'd be fine with it.

I actually didn't know anything at all about Miku when I played my first PD game, I was a fan of Elite Beat Agents on the DS and PD seemed a lot like that game at first so I knew I had to get it. It was a new IP for me, in a sense.

Deeku

I knew about Miku, but I got into the games because I heard it was a great music/rhythm game. The music has grown on me a bit since, and I've bought a bit of miku merch, but I doubt I'll ever go to a concert or something. The super miku otaku fandom is too weird for me lol.

Also, I've already said it here a few times, but I want a freakin vita miku case, not a stupid skin>< They seriously better make one for the usual accessory pack thing.

matmanx1

I finally got my J-3DS today so I can start on Project Mirai. I set my birthday on the system to 4/30 (today) since it's an alt system and will have an alt Mii and when I turned on the game Miku was presenting a birthday cake. It was cute so I took a picture.

I've just tried out the first song to get the hang of the game and I like the timing of the button presses. There's a sweet spot on each note so while just hitting the notes is not hard getting the sweet spot on each press requires concentration and is very rewarding. I can tell I'm going to enjoy this one.

matmanx1

Moving through the setlist on Project Mirai and as far as I can tell I've yet to unlock any new outfits or rooms. How exactly is this done? Do I just need to move up in difficulty or is it a certain score or star point level that I have to hit?

Great game though. The animation and choreography is excellent and it's one of the few 3DS games I can actually play in 3D without getting a headache due to the button prompts being superimposed in 2D over the background 3D stuff.

jimmypython

So, they were waiting for the white Vita announce, to show the Miku special edition:

:)

Looks nice!

I don't think I can afford to import this. But man I'm so importing the regular white version (if SCEA is not announcing the NA version at E3):

b6d70450ccc2d42ec9d96e311126be4888179ab3.JPG

Wonko_C

Devs are a bunch of perverts, LOL. (Andriasang) I actually had to google the term "Panchira". It opened my eyes on what devs sometimes have to go through.

Nakanohito 1go's work appears to be a bit more specific. Apparently, he must serve as a centrist in the battle between the panchira buster check team, who wants to limit panchira, and the development staff who wants to place the focus on the cuteness of the dance and performances, which presumably means allowing free reign on the panchira. Nakanohito 1go must strike a balance between nice panchira and bad panchira. His work is "Judgment Panchira."

Ah, the early 3D days were so much more innocent, when there weren't enough polygons to render the characters fully.

abusori

So, they were waiting for the white Vita announce, to show the Miku special edition:

Considering I'm probably going to buy a Vita just to play Project Diva, it would be appropriate for me to buy this one.
Sheesh, gotta buy a 3ds for fire emblem too...

matmanx1

:)

Oh man, that's tempting. I love white. I have a white J-3DS that's pretty much only a Project Mirai machine at this point. I've already got the game pre-ordered from AmiAmi but this might change things. I really don't need 2 Vita's since they are region free but I do like my 3G access on my US unit and I'm pretty sure the Japanese 3G units are carrier locked. Decisions, decisions.

Weekly Diva Station updates (and they've changed their header, by the way... it's super cute!)

5/11: A discussion of non photorealistic rendering techniques. Someone who understands the discussion will have to chime in but it certainly looks interesting and very in-depth.

tech04_7.jpg.jpg

tech04_8.jpg.jpg
tech04_9.jpg.jpg

5/10: 3 new songs for Project DIVA Arcade on 5/15. Two of these songs are from extend (Uraomote Lovers, Puzzle). It appears Uraomote Lovers uses the non photorealistic rendering discussed above. Video demonstrating the three songs.

5/8: Miku PS Vita... wait, you guys know about that already?

It is indeed a very nice discussion on filters i think i understood most of it properly ... want me to extrapolate everything for you guys project vita fans ?

matmanx1

It is indeed a very nice discussion on filters i think i understood most of it properly ... want me to extrapolate everything for you guys project vita fans ?

I'd love to hear anything you think is interesting, sure.

I've now unlocked all of the extra rooms in Project Mirai (love the DJ room!) and have gone through all of the songs at least once or twice. Only one S rank so far but I've gotten much better and really like how the gameplay is handled.

My wish for a theoretical Project Mirai 2 would be for a larger song list or at least the ability to add DLC because the core game is well made, good looking and fun to play. I've completely neglected Code of Princess because of Project Mirai even though it's only got 21 songs. The game is great, I just wish it was bigger.

Top Bottom