• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku Project Diva series general discussion thread

Anyone try the ios game? It is priced a bit high for me to try on a whim.

Okay, I've given Miku Flick some time. It's actually pretty fun, though a bit unwieldy for people like me who can't read or write Japanese - it's still playable thanks to the visual guide but I can't help but feel some of the game's charm is simply lost in translation. The game does now offer three variants of keyboards - the original all-Japanese keyboard, a keyboard with romaji only, and one with a combination of both. To be honest, it doesn't really make much of a difference which you use you're still unlikely to be able to use it effectively without knowing Japanese in the first place.

As expected, it looks pretty bad on iPad, the visuals being prerendered at standard iPhone resolution with low framerate. Besides that, I can't help but feel the game would play better on iPhone or iPod Touch simply because it allows for actual swiping motions with your thumb, which is completely impractical on iPad.

Three songs are selectable from the start at Easy and Normal difficulties. You unlock difficulties and songs the same way you do in the Project DIVA games - clear a song and unlock another song, clear it on Normal to unlock Hard for the same song, clear Hard to unlock Break The Limit for the same song.

Break The Limit is hilarious - instead of only playing selected syllables you are forced to attempt every last one - in this mode there is no life gauge and the combo meter simply becomes a counter for how many you manage to hit.

If you're in to the music this is a pretty fun way to pass time, but otherwise it's a fairly standard music game and at over $1 per song it's kind of a hard sell.

I'll try to have a video up tonight or tomorrow also. Shoushitsu is freaking hilarious in Break The Limit.

EDIT: And here's a video of Shoushitsu in Break The Limit (no gameplay attempted): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NENWGBBwLWE

Interestingly, analyzing the video, it appears the gameplay elements animate at 30fps, and the video at approximately 21fps.

Wonko_C

Edited: Didn't know there was a new thread for it. Is discussion of the Vita game moving there?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469796

Edit 2: Eh, I should've left the post alone... damage control time!

Details from siliconera:
Next Hatsune Miku Project Diva sticks to the concept of play to sing, but adds a new "scratch" feature for the Vita version. Players can rub the screen to play instruments like jamming out to a guitar solo. Sega didn’t say how scratching will work on the PS3 version. The game also has technical zones, parts of songs where you can get bonus points by chaining together a full combo. You will have to practice these parts if you want to increase your rank. And for players new to Project Diva, Sega has four difficulty settings.

Video linked from the other thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHtmrpHS_Q

They really need to add online leaderboards to this game, I expected to see them on Dreamy Theather 2nd at least.

Looks hot as hell. Still hoping for a Vita price drop before this hits - the Vita's future lineup looks killer but there are literally only two games for it I would even consider out right now.

I'm a bit confused by the Technical Zone thing, hope that gets clarified more soon.

On discussion: I tried a new thread for Project mirai but eventually people just drifted back here. There aren't enough people interested to be fragmenting discussion into multiple threads IMO.

Deeku

I didn't even see that thread since I don't browse gaming often lol.

Anyway, wow it looks really good. Especially that miku model :O

Seeing that trailer really pumped me up ..

Knowing that edit mode is still in there is also another good news but i wonder how it will work with the Vita save system being so unforgiving ...
it's a day one purchase no problem for me ( dat miku & luca dancing )

SynZidane

Neo Member
The game looks fantastic from the trailer. I'm liking the improvements they have made to the HUD too. I'm just hoping there will be an option to toggle the touch screen function on or off as I am really not a fan of using a touch screen.

Priz

Friend came over the other night and showed me Project Mirai. I'm terrible at it, but I liked it. Definitely entertaining.

He used the nico-style comment system to experiment with English subtitling the song Happy Synthesizer. It was interesting to see the use of the system in that way and it seemed to work overall. Just figuring out which words scrolling by as they fit into which sentence a few times.

I wished I recorded it/was able to upload a video and show how it turned out...

Just saw the trailer for the Vita game.

I knew nothing about this game but now I'm debating on importing it.

Music games have been a part of my life since 2002. I need to try this game out.

matmanx1

Friend came over the other night and showed me Project Mirai. I'm terrible at it, but I liked it. Definitely entertaining.

He used the nico-style comment system to experiment with English subtitling the song Happy Synthesizer. It was interesting to see the use of the system in that way and it seemed to work overall. Just figuring out which words scrolling by as they fit into which sentence a few times.

I wished I recorded it/was able to upload a video and show how it turned out...

I should have my J-3DS towards the end of next week and will finally get to play my copy of Project Mirai. The new Vita game looks awfully snazzy though. I'll definitely have to import that one when the time comes.

ShadiWulf

It appears that SEGA Japan has published Hatsune Miku flick themselves in the US and EU iOS stores

I'm gonna have to guess SEGA west doesn't even know about this, due to lack of acknowledgement

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miku-flick/id503098602?mt=8

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/04/13/miku-flick-now-available-worldwide/

Yup. A Hatsune Miku game has finally made it overseas. Miku Flick is an iOS game available on iPhone and iPad devices for a hefty (for iOS) $13.99. Published by Sega, Miku Flick comes with several of Hatsune Miku’s most popular songs. I know not a single one of them since I’m not a fan myself, but I do know her popularity is big enough that this is huge news for Miku fans. Who knows? If enough Miku fans buy this game, we may see more of her games arrive in the U.S. and Europe.

edit: err, sorry if wrong topic.. just realized this said Diva. lol

frostbyte

Man, the Vita Project Diva looks really good. Not a fan of the touch screen rubbing/scratching for the stars, hopefully it can be turned off/only at the start of songs.

Been slacking on Weekly Diva Station updates, and figured I should use this time to catch up rather than fall asleep in my cubicle, so...

Selected articles, reverse chronological order:

4/16: Another technical discussion, it looks like. Did they test Project DIVA Arcade on Lindbergh? I was pretty sure they went with RingEdge to begin with...

Also, nice textbooks:

miku_dev1.jpg.jpg

4/12: Next Project DIVA discussion [1] [2], not sure if they say anything we don't already know by now. See the second one for screenshots you've probably seen elsewhere.

4/6: Project mirai on the BMW Miku race car. Click through for more images.

003.JPG.jpg

4/4: Sakura Miku module added to Arcade:

diva_module_apr_mik_sakuramiku1.jpg

Is it so hard to patch DIVA theater 2nd with the extend costumes ???

Dammit at least do those as dlc !!!

i'm disapointed crypton !!!

Is it so hard to patch DIVA theater 2nd with the extend costumes ???

Dammit at least do those as dlc !!!

i'm disapointed crypton !!!

I can't imagine them (SEGA, not Crypton, lol) not doing something along those lines, if not just a flat-out new Dreamy Theater. Arcade received DIVA 2nd content for months before Dreamy Theater 2nd came out. We have no idea how much the next Project DIVA is going to change the model though.

matmanx1

I would totally rock those mugs. I have a thing about collecting cute, funny or just plain weird and interesting mugs. And Miku's mug is just plain cute!

Boney

Banned
been playing tons of miku flick, it's pretty fun, although a bit short on songs, and no dress up.

Break the limit is pretty bs though

StayDead

I'm way too far down the importing rabbit hole to even consider things like cost :p

More 3D b00bies and OLED Miku. Takes mah monies!

I've not got a Vita and I was dreading a good miku game being announced for it.

Oh well, I'll get Burst and leave the new Diva until next year or the year after when I can afford a vita too :p

matmanx1

I've not got a Vita and I was dreading a good miku game being announced for it.

Oh well, I'll get Burst and leave the new Diva until next year or the year after when I can afford a vita too :p

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Vita get's a price drop around the holiday season. PS3's first drop hit after 8 months on the market and the Vita launched in December in Japan. September would be 9 months for the Japanese and 7 months for the rest of the world so if Sony decides to make a move on the price of the Vita this year then I think Sept-Oct. would be the time to do it.

I've not played Senran Kagura yet (although I might someday) but if both of those games are indeed releasing on the same day then Miku > 3DBoobs in terms of where my money is going.

Wonko_C

It's been a while since I imported something, I remember buying Gradius Gaiden for PSX from Himeya shop and the Japanese version of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (I couldn't wait one more month) from Videogames Plus Canada years ago, and that's it. So here comes a question for seasoned importers: I'm going to buy PD Vita on cart as I don't want to be switching accounts just to play it. What are the online sites where you usually import, aside from play-asia? Preferably with timely delivery and good prices.

It's been a while since I imported something, I remember buying Gradius Gaiden for PSX from Himeya shop and the Japanese version of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (I couldn't wait one more month) from Videogames Plus Canada years ago, and that's it. So here comes a question for seasoned importers: I'm going to buy PD Vita on cart as I don't want to be switching accounts just to play it. What are the online sites where you usually import, aside from play-asia? Preferably with timely delivery and good prices.

AmiAmi and CD Japan will ship games internationally. They ship directly from Japan but being established retailers, they often get a better deal on the base price than most of the importers can. NCS is also reliable and fast if you're in the US, but can be on the pricy side.

It's worth noting that if you plan to purchase DLC along the line, it would still be a better idea to play on a JP PSN account. You probably won't be able to use any DLC if you use an account from another region.

Syn23

I'm going to import it too. Do you think there is any chance that the price will drop significantly in a "short" period?

Wonko_C

AmiAmi and CD Japan will ship games internationally. They ship directly from Japan but being established retailers, they often get a better deal on the base price than most of the importers can. NCS is also reliable and fast if you're in the US, but can be on the pricy side.

It's worth noting that if you plan to purchase DLC along the line, it would still be a better idea to play on a JP PSN account. You probably won't be able to use any DLC if you use an account from another region.

Thanks, bookmarked all 3 sites. :)

I forgot about the DLC stuff, that's going to be an issue. I'll probably end up buying the game from PSN directly then. Or maybe I'll just buy the DLC for the PS3 version when that is released, decisions...

Unrelated: Does the 3DS game have online leaderboards? It's odd that not even the DT games have them, Sega must add them to the Vita game this time. If there's going to be a Diva Room it would also be perfect for gift sharing and stuff using near too (although I never bother with Diva Room on the PSP games).

Dlc is an issue but you can bypass it by having a memory card only for japan games...
Im an importer and that make the difference.

matmanx1

Dlc is an issue but you can bypass it by having a memory card only for japan games...
Im an importer and that make the difference.

You don't even have to have a second memory card though, do you? Can't you just reset your Vita and sign in on your JP account and have access to any JP content on the same cart as your US or other account?

I'd like to point out that I also use Play-Asia for importing. They tend to have pretty good prices and even in the Southeastern US I can pick Fed Ex as my shipping option (which usually runs $12-14 on a game) and have the item in 2 days after it's release in Japan. They are probably my number one site for imports and NCS is probably my number 2 although I did just get Code of Princess from AmiAmi and was very pleased with their service as I got the game and the pre-order bonus.

Watch this thread and when the game goes up for pre-order I'm sure you'll see some folks talking about where they pre-ordered from and what the prices are looking like.

i know i was one that confirmed this method in the vita thread ( i confirmed that this method worked ).

But when you do that the dlc is deactivated when you switch regions .

In the end it's much less a pain in the *ss to use a mem card by region if you ( like me ) switch often regions ..
resetting my vita and some settings each time i switch is also a pain

At least i would have everything in one place and believe me this if often important

Wonko_C

Thank you all for your suggestions, luckily I do have an extra 4GB memory card that came bundled with my Vita purchase and it's already being used for Japanese demos.

matmanx1

i know i was one that confirmed this method in the vita thread ( i confirmed that this method worked ).

But when you do that the dlc is deactivated when you switch regions .

In the end it's much less a pain in the *ss to use a mem card by region if you ( like me ) switch often regions ..
resetting my vita and some settings each time i switch is also a pain

At least i would have everything in one place and believe me this if often important

Ahh ok that explains it very well. Thanks.

Top Bottom