• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO is airing a marathon of The Wire remastered in HD (one season per day, Dec 26-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zma1013

I know a couple of people find him boring because he doesn't have the charisma of Avon or Stringer, or even the moral complexities of those characters, but I found Marlo fascinating.

He treated everything so cut and dry, so business-like. Like in this scene, you know? "You got in my face? You'll have to die." It's a rule and it's simple to follow. But at the same time it's not business, because he enjoys it. Or at the very least, he needs it in order to function, as exemplified by his last scene of the show. Yeah, he's a psychopath. But I guess I needed that in the show after every other drug kingpin with moral underpinnings.

One of the feelings I got from him was that he's been doing this so long, killing is a mere annoyance to him now. Something so routine and bothersome that he doesn't even attend to it himself anymore. He's thoroughly terrifying in that sense. He's like a combination of Avon's ruthlessness and Stringer's patience and intelligence combined with an added sense of callousness.

jett

D-Member
I thought this shot was shot on SD video, making an HD remaster somewhat pointless.

edit: reading this thread, this is a pretty confusing topic. David Simon says he edited digitally, the quality of any prospective remaster will depend on the quality of the digital intermediate.

I'm curious to see what this remaster will look like.

The show has been broadcast in HD already. Since it was shot on film the resolution is there to be tinkered with, even though it looked fine via the HBO HD channels in 4:3. They must be doing something to the framing...which doesn't sound like a good idea.

Don't know for sure about S3, but S1 and S2 definitely were in proper HD on the special DirecTV run.

Cropped may well be right, but they were definitely not upscaled. The later seasons (S4 and S5) were upscaled.

Nah, I'm pretty sure they were upscaled. There isn't an HD version to use. It was all SD.

Again, the links are upthread. It was shot on film, but it's only ever been broadcast in standard def. There isn't a version of the show that exists anywhere that's more than 480p natively, so far. If it was broadcast on an HD channel, it was an upscaled version - those links have one of the DPs on the show talking about it, as well as Simon saying he saw an early upscaled version for british television and he thought it looked shitty.

If HBO & Simon wanted to go back to the camera negatives and do a new scan, then yeah, you could have a 1080p version of the show. If there's 35mm material to work with. If all there is are the original masters that were used for broadcast on HBO, the same ones used for the DVD set and the same ones upscaled & cropped for Amazon Prime, then all we're going to get is a line-doubled version that takes 1/6th of the image off the top and bottom of the frame.

Bad by The Wire standards, but still better than most shows

It's not even bad by The Wire standards. I don't even know what that means, honestly, being as it's all part of the same whole. It's not bad, period. It's fucking great television.

Again, I can't think of a single episode of the show that I would qualify as even nearing MEDIOCRE, much less bad, much less a WHOLE SEASON nearing that qualification.

Frog-fu

Banned
Now a whole new group of people can see how overrated it is.

Don't care. The show is a 7.5 at best. GAF treats it likes it's an 11

tumblr_lyx3n8lNxN1qa53cno1_500.png

Despera

Banned
Fuck!

I waited all these years and just couldn't anymore... so I decided to get all the DVDs and watch the whole thing.

Currently at episode 2 of season 5 and loving the shit out of it. Wish I waited a few months more now :(

Doing a rerun right now and to be honest, I don't really need a HD remastered version of this. If it turns out good and they release a Blu Ray I might (okay, I will) buy it, otherwise 4:3 SD is all I need, baby.

With that said, don't half ass this. Because when it comes to The Wire you either step up or you step the fuck off.

This is interesting, I just found this thread on Reddit - PSA: Amazon Prime video has the series in 16:9 format

Not sure how I missed this before, but I just fired up S01E01 on Amazon Prime streaming and was shocked to see it in 16:9.

I assumed that this was merely Amazon cropping the existing 4:3 image in order to keep customer complaints down, but I was wrong. There is MORE image on the left and right of the frame than on the DVDs.
I did a quick check on subsequent seasons, and they are all in 16:9.

Screen caps from S01E02:
DVD
Amazon

Screen caps from S02E01:
DVD
Amazon

Not sure how legit this is and I can't really easily do a comparison myself right now. Never actually watched it on Amazon.

Nah, I'm pretty sure they were upscaled. There isn't an HD version to use. It was all SD.

Again, the links are upthread. It was shot on film, but it's only ever been broadcast in standard def. There isn't a version of the show that exists anywhere that's more than 480p natively, so far. If it was broadcast on an HD channel, it was an upscaled version - those links have one of the DPs on the show talking about it, as well as Simon saying he saw an early upscaled version for british television and he thought it looked shitty.

If HBO & Simon wanted to go back to the camera negatives and do a new scan, then yeah, you could have a 1080p version of the show. If there's 35mm material to work with. If all there is are the original masters that were used for broadcast on HBO, the same ones used for the DVD set and the same ones upscaled & cropped for Amazon Prime, then all we're going to get is a line-doubled version that takes 1/6th of the image off the top and bottom of the frame.
Then feel free to be shocked by the picture quality of seasons 1 and 2 this September. And maybe 3, I honestly can't remember if that one was the jarring "wtf, it's not in HD anymore?" one or if it was 4.

This wasn't shown on HBO, btw. It was some experimental DirecTV-only channel.

Anyway, the first 2/3 seasons were indeed broadcast in 720 or 1080. Trust me! No, I didn't count pixels. No, it wasn't 480p.

Not sure how legit this is and I can't really easily do a comparison myself right now. Never actually watched it on Amazon.

That is interesting. There's no info lost from the top. in that S2 screencap comparison.

However, there seems to also be no image quality improvement, either. Weird.

Anyway, the first 2/3 seasons were indeed broadcast in 720 or 1080. Trust me! No, I didn't count pixels. No, it wasn't 480p.

Sorry man. You appear to be the only person on Earth who ever saw these things on this experimental channel. :)

That is interesting. There's no info lost from the top. in that S2 screencap comparison.

Now this quote makes sense:
Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing.

Sorry man. You appear to be the only person on Earth who ever saw these things on this experimental channel. :)

I'm pretty sure I remember watching an episode or two on that directv channel years ago, but they were really obviously cropped from 4:3 and were probably 480p

I'm pretty sure I remember watching an episode or two on that directv channel years ago, but they were really obviously cropped from 4:3 and were probably 480p
Seasons 4 and 5 were definitely that way. 480p frankly feels like an exaggeration. It was badp

Interested to see what HBO does with those this fall...

So, this is what I got.

Capped the DVD in VLC just now:

3TX6KMf.png

Capped the Amazon Prime stream in "HD"

s7OgsmQ.jpg

It looks like there's a tiny bit lost off the top, a little bit more off the bottom, and a bit more room on the left hand side.

So maybe it's just a matter of them moving the matting around on the original image? Again - the quality doesn't look to actually have been improved appreciably, although I recognize that coming straight off the DVD vs. even a hi-res stream is unfair.

Definitely not cropped...

But google and you guys are making me have second thoughts. Maybe it was just upscaled 16:9 and I was tricked into thinking it was HD? I don't know anymore! I'm freaking out here!

So, this is what I got.

Capped the DVD in VLC just now:

3TX6KMf.png

Capped the Amazon Prime stream in "HD"

s7OgsmQ.jpg

When did Amazon get the HBO stuff? 2 months ago?
Maybe these are the remasters and were fed to Amazon. Now HBO is going to air them.
Whatever it winds up being, the 16:9 screenshots look fine and are clearly not zoomed and chopped.

I might subscribe to HBO for a month to see what they are doing with this.

The Wire is my favorite show, in a real geeky I have cast autographs, met them all and am on the DVD extras for Season 3 kind of way.

-Kees-

Did some research. Here's an article about the shows cinematography: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/griffin_nick/hbo_the_wire.php

"When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3."

That's why some isn't cropped. Also in the article it mentions that the later episodes were shot in Super 35 so the aspect ratio of the film negative is 16x9.

Did some research. Here's an article about the shows cinematography: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/griffin_nick/hbo_the_wire.php

"When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3."

That's why some isn't cropped. Also in the article it mentions that the later episodes were shot in Super 35 so the aspect ratio of the film negative is 16x9.

This post covers that and then some:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126645728&postcount=17

Yeah, if they're going back to the original image files and moving the matting - they're basically just upscaling and pan & scanning from scene to scene.

So if that's the case, again, looking at the DVD cap & the amazon cap - they probably just upped the contrast a little, line-doubled, and are reframing shots with new matting for 16x9. They're putting SOME effort into it. But it's not what people really want when it comes to increase visual quality.

I hope I'm wrong and it's a complete re-scan of the 35mm originals, though. I'll all kinds of wrong and happy.

Yeah, if they're going back to the original image files and moving the matting - they're basically just upscaling and pan & scanning from scene to scene.

So if that's the case, again, looking at the DVD cap & the amazon cap - they probably just upped the contrast a little, line-doubled, and are reframing shots with new matting for 16x9. They're putting SOME effort into it. But it's not what people really want when it comes to increase visual quality.

I hope I'm wrong and it's a complete re-scan of the 35mm originals, though. I'll all kinds of wrong and happy.

There's also the fact that there is literally no information released about this from anywhere. Other than a promo aired on HBO today that was put up on youtube and tweeted by Arthur Gies, there seems to be no announcement from HBO or anyone else that I can find. Also this is airing on HBO Signature instead of their main channel. I don't even know what to think about this now.

There's also the fact that there is literally no information released about this from anywhere. Other than a promo aired on HBO today that was put up on youtube and tweeted by Arthur Gies, there seems to be no announcement from HBO or anyone else that I can find. Also this is airing on HBO Signature instead of their main channel. I don't even know what to think about this now.

This is what I don't understand either..
It's definitely on their schedule:

oQm9Wx1.jpg

TwC90ST.jpg

Whatever this thing is, it's barely being promoted.
I sent a tweet to Andy Greenwald and posted a note on the The FB page asking if anyone knows more details.

Sheytan

The wire is still presented in 4:3, not 16:9. They can put it on blu ray and not have it look like a blurry mess because it was shot on film. In general film has a higher resolution than blu ray (film is actually more detailed than "4K" resolution), so they do a digital transfer and boom, HD but still in 4:3. But if the original material was shot in 16:9, but broadcasted in 4:3 then they can use the original to create the new 16:9 version

Mandius

I want 4:3 in HD. Pillar boxed for 16:9 televisions.

Being shot on film a HD transfer will definitely be possible but I doubt they would have the actual edited episodes on film.

Edit- I see that HBO has been HD since 1999. They may have been sitting on HD masters for the entire time. If that is the case, why hasn't it been broadcast that way before?

Timbuktu

Prop Joe Makes A Call

Awesome scene.

Prop Joe was the man. Hearing about how he coached many of the kids in S4 made it even more sad when he died in real life a few months ago :(

RIP Joe. :(

It's probably been posted but i really liked this video essay on cinematography Style in The Wire. I loved a lot of the 4:3 compositions, more photographic than cinematic i guess but it can be beautiful in that realist grounded sort of way. As great and innovative as. Breaking. Bad was in this department, i prefer this style.

I guess the only thing i can watch HD on without blackbars is the iPad, always loved that it fits perfectly.

Porcile

They better keep the 4:3. It's an underrated aspect ratio and works really well in The Wire. I don't understand the desire for everything to be in 16:9. It was filmed that way purposefully, don't fuck about with the original artistic intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom