• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO is airing a marathon of The Wire remastered in HD (one season per day, Dec 26-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dommo

Only the first two seasons are 16:9 on Amazon.

Yep. As has been said a few times this thread, the first two seasons were shot in 16:9 for safety, but with 4:3 always in mind. From S3 onwards, it was shot in 4:3, so no 16:9 version exists.

Mononoke

Banned
Some crazy opinions in this thread (Season 4 being the worst...WTF). Then again, I have a pretty dissenting opinion of this show.

I think Season 3 is pretty overrated. Yep, there I said it. I've seen the show 4 times now, and every time I watch Season 3 I think the first 6 episodes are kind of boring and drag on. I also find the new Amsterdam plot to be kind of hokey (IMO it's the most goofy thing besides the Serial Killer plot in Season 5). The second half of Season 3 is pretty amazing though.

Everyone hates on Season 2, and I can totally understand why. You get introduced into the world of The Wire with Season 1. The Barksdale plot is totally engrossing, and as antagonist they are fare more interesting than the Greek. But then the show instantly shifts us away to some other plot in the city, and the story has a very slow burn. But IMO Season 2 has some of the best acting overall. And the way the theme/arc is played out and it comes full circle is pretty masterful. I agree the Greek is kind of silly, and there are other elements to Season 2 that are worth criticizing, but I think it's actually a better season than Season 3 overall (I know..what a crazy opinion!). For me it goes like this:

4> 1 > 2 > 3> 5

impact

Banned
This is one of those cases where 'opinion' doesn't factor into it at all. It's a simple fact that this one of the very best TV shows ever made. And you're either a person that sees that, or you're not.

I found Oz to be more interesting. I gave them both a shot on Amazon prime video and ended up sticking with Oz.

strobogo

Banned
I found Oz to be more interesting. I gave them both a shot on Amazon prime video and ended up sticking with Oz.

Did you get to the Wire episode with the FUCK scene? Because I was kind of iffy on the show until that scene and watched the whole run in like 2 weeks after that.

Nick Sobotka girlfriend extended scene please.

TcSBrU3.jpg

Will be a great show to finally see after I finish watching Breaking Bad for 1st time (on Season 4 there). Someone also mentioned Oz, totally forgot about that, might also give that a watch sometime.

Jigorath

Banned
I can't find any proof of this aside from the video Gies uploaded. Nothing from HBO, no news outlets reporting it, is this even real?

Eurocult

decent show, but was it ever really known for it's cinematography? The look of the show is about as bland as it gets. It was all about the story and acting for me.

As long as they do it like Criterion deals with remastering 4:3 films (Black bars on the sides) I'm good.

Exis

I watched the Wire in it's first run and lived in Baltimore at this rate - it is a bit of a period piece.

I can't find any proof of this aside from the video Gies uploaded. Nothing from HBO, no news outlets reporting it, is this even real?

The proof is in the thread you're reading. People have posted screencaps of HBO's schedule from their own site showing this is a thing that's happening.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Now a whole new group of people can see how overrated it is.

Now a whole group of people will have every other TV show ruined for them because how good the wire is.

Thank god for the shield to help with my withdrawals

Dommo

decent show, but was it ever really known for it's cinematography? The look of the show is about as bland as it gets. It was all about the story and acting for me.

As long as they do it like Criterion deals with remastering 4:3 films (Black bars on the sides) I'm good.

There's a common misconception that the show is lacking in the cinematography. The Style in The Wire is a good video explaining how it's actually got really thoughtful, appropriate cinematography. It's got a look that works perfectly for the show it's serving, which is all you can ask for. That's what good cinematography is: informing and supporting the function of the show to better tell story. I think that's exactly what The Wire does.

Beyond that, there's actually a lot of really well lit and framed shots in the show that are extremely aesthetically pleasing. For sure, it's never quite as pretty or as often as a Kubrick film or Blade Runner, but there's actually a surprisingly high number of beautiful shots. That video above has a few.

KingKong

I rewatched the whole show recently and I have to say I still don't get the hype behind season 4. My theory is that it's when a lot of people started watching it live and the kids angle really sells it.

From a storytelling perspective I don't think it's as good as the earlier seasons. Marlo and his crew just arent as interesting as Avon and Stringer and I never thought the political side was that insightful. For me season 1 is still the best and it could really stand alone as a miniseries

I rewatched the whole show recently and I have to say I still don't get the hype behind season 4. My theory is that it's when a lot of people started watching it live and the kids angle really sells it.

From a storytelling perspective I don't think it's as good as the earlier seasons. Marlo and his crew just arent as interesting as Avon and Stringer and I never thought the political side was that insightful. For me season 1 is still the best and it could really stand alone as a miniseries

I strongly disagree. I find the absolute focus, determination, and cold-heartedness of Marlo's quest to the top, and his crew, to be fascinating. Especially contrasted against the Barksdale crew, who are much more laid back and 'old-school'. Marlo is like a filtered-through-the-generations gangster, a bi-product of what people like Avon and Stringer helped create.

I'm a big advocate for Original Aspect Ratio presentation. I for one am extremely glad that Twin Peaks, for example, is 4:3 windowboxed 1080p on the new Blu-Ray set.

That said, when I watch The Wire in both formats, I'm not so sure if the DPs and David Simon were on the same page regarding composition.

Either way, David Simon's idea of presenting this show in deinterlaced 480p for posterity when it was shot on film is just freaking silly.

In all likelihood best case scenario it'll be higher res 4:3 and even that seems unlikely at this point. I'd probably finish the season and then wait for the broadcast to watch season 5.

I have finished season 4 anyway. The best season with lots of social messages

The Chef

*sigh*
Well, here it goes. *raised shield*
I just finished episode 6 of season 1. Each episode I basically shrug to myself and say "mmm well that was boring, maybe the next one is better"...
I would have given up on this show by the 3rd episode but Gaf loves it SO much I figured I'd try and give it a solid shot.

Nothing....really happens at all in the show so far. They follow some guys around and are tapping pagers and making stakeouts and interviewing suspects but man its just so, I dunno, bland.

Does it get better or is this just obviously not for me?

Rubenov

*sigh*
I just finished episode 6 of season 1. Each episode I basically shrug to myself and say "mmm well that was boring, maybe the next one is better"...
I would have given up on this show by the 3rd episode but Gaf loves it SO much I figured I'd try and give it a solid shot.

Nothing....really happens at all in the show so far. They follow some guys around and are tapping pagers and making stakeouts and interviewing suspects but man its just so, I dunno, bland.

I had the same feeling. I actually gave up and returned months later. Stick with it; it'll all make sense later.

I had the same feeling. I actually gave up and returned months later. Stick with it; it'll all make sense later.

You know I gave up on S02e03 for almost a year. Then I have read an article about 5 shows that awards your patience few weeks ago and has not stopped since. Best series I have ever seen

*sigh*

What you're describing about tapping pagers and stakeouts and stuff is one of the main draws of the series - the fact that instead of blazing through police procedure stuff, they instead follow every single bit of bureaucracy that the detectives have to go through in order to build a case. It also never holds your hand or dumbs things down for the viewer, which I really appreciate about HBO's shows in general. And not only that, but how the show depicts the other side of the story and how most of the kids stuck in that life really never had any other choice. That was completely fascinating to me and I was hooked about 4 episodes in. So yeah, it's not for everyone, but I think if you give it time you'll probably find something to like.

*sigh*

It's slow burning, especially the first handful of episodes of each season. It takes time to create the foundations. I actually had to re-start the first episode of season 1 like...6 times before I managed to watch it all. Then it took around episode 6-8 before it clocked with me.

Now it's my favourite show of all time.

I'd recommend reading up about the show, how it's structured, and what it's about, before carrying on. I don't want to offend you and say "ugh, you just don't get it", but I've found that some people go in not really knowing what to expect, and up not enjoy enjoying because they don't really understand what type of show it is. Even just a quick read of the wiki will give you a better understanding and might make you appreciate the show more.

--------------

Fun Wire fact: Andre Royo's portrayal of Bubbles was so authentic and convincing that when filming the show, a junkie/homeless man approached Andre and gave him his heroin, saying "Man, you need a fix more than I do."

Moving to HD they can retain the fuzziness and whatnot they feel is important to the show AND not have upscaling artifacts. Which were never a part of the creator's vision. If his vision was for the show to have upscaling artifacts he would beg everyone to watch the DVD on big HD screens instead of SDTVs because on SD there wouldn't be any upscaling done. :p

RPG

I will say, looking at DirecTV's on demand catalog, they have The Wire listed as HD. I might have to download one and see how it is, if I can get my internet working with it right.

The 101 Network ran the entire series in HD back in 2010. What's on Amazon and what HBO is going to be broadcasting is most likely this version.

I hope they're planning on also keeping the standard 4:3 version up on HBO Go instead of just replacing it completely with the new widescreen pan & scan upscale that Amazon has right now. Either way I still have my DVDs but i'd hate to see the original version lost from streaming options like that

It's slow burning, especially the first handful of episodes of each season. It takes time to create the foundations. I actually had to re-start the first episode of season 1 like...6 times before I managed to watch it all. Then it took around episode 6-8 before it clocked with me.

Now it's my favourite show of all time.

I'd recommend reading up about the show, how it's structured, and what it's about, before carrying on. I don't want to offend you and say "ugh, you just don't get it", but I've found that some people go in not really knowing what to expect, and up not enjoy enjoying because they don't really understand what type of show it is. Even just a quick read of the wiki will give you a better understanding and might make you appreciate the show more.

--------------

Fun Wire fact: Andre Royo's portrayal of Bubbles was so authentic and convincing that when filming the show, a junkie/homeless man approached Andre and gave him his heroin, saying "Man, you need a fix more than I do."

Bubbs is my second favourite after Omar in the series

theWB27

Never watched a second of this series and I want to. Damn I don't have HBO and my pirating days are FAR behind me. Shucks...one day I shall be able to see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom