• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO is airing a marathon of The Wire remastered in HD (one season per day, Dec 26-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyBrad

I don't mind if they leave it 4/3 especially if some of the shots were framed for 4/3. On the odd occasion if you watch something like Friends in HD 16/9 you can tell it was only meant to be shown in 4/3.

MaxDOL

I just saw the Wire on HBO Asia Signature HD. I do not know that it will the same master that will air later in the US or not.
It show in 16:9 format and it look not really sharp compare to the other show on the same channel.
So do not expect It to be real HD if it turn up to be the same master.

16:9 = Fail in this situation.

I guess all of you loved pan-scan back in the VHS days..... which was absolute garbage.
This was filmed on 35mm in 4:3 aspect ratio, I'm honestly dumbfounded by everyone screaming for a cropped 16:9 image. I don't want to loose the top and bottom of the frame just so it looks L337 on my plasma or (god forbid) smartphone.

If this is cropped to 16:9 it should be called the definitive "neutered" version.

gob-bluth-come-on-o.gif

16:9 = Fail in this situation.

I guess all of you loved pan-scan back in the VHS days..... which was absolute garbage.
This was filmed on 35mm in 4:3 aspect ratio, I'm honestly dumbfounded by everyone screaming for a cropped 16:9 image. I don't want to loose the top and bottom of the frame just so it looks L337 on my plasma or (god forbid) smartphone.

If this is cropped to 16:9 it should be called the definitive "neutered" version.

gob-bluth-come-on-o.gif
how do you explain
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=126850964

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm not sure what you are asking... are implying the original show was cropped to 4:3?

That shot would imply that at least some of the show was shot at a wider aspect ratio.

I don't want them to crop for 16:9, I want them to show it at the original filmed ratio. If it happens to be 16:9, then all the better.

They shot for 4:3, protected for 16x9, and matted the picture accordingly on broadcast.

This upscale has them essentially reframing shots scene-by-scene, which does result in some cropping on the top and bottom, although not as much as simply slapping black bars on the pre-existing 4:3 image. And apparently this upscale is four years old, if earlier posts about this work being done for a 2010 HD broadcast are correct.

So not only is this not really HD, and not only have they changed the composition of the shots, this isn't even a new upscale - it's four years old. I certainly haven't heard of any of the show's cinematographers or DP's overseeing the reframing, and Simon himself says the HD upscales he'd previously seen looked not great.

Just stick to the DVDs if you can get em.

YoungHav

Banned
Marlo is the embodiment of the universe. Cold and indifferent.

I love the season 5 scene where:

Marlo, Chris, Snoop, meetup and all agree that the police are no longer on their trail and that they're back in business. The way Snoop is so eager to kill again is cute.

Lemaitre

Banned
So...is this just a rumor, or is it actually happening?

A lot of websites are cautious as to whether this is even true or not. But I didn't see much debate about that in this thread.

hwalker84

Please don't crop it and get me a Blu-ray STAT!!! I'm blind buying this. I'm a snob whose wanted to see the show for awhile but I don't watch SD content.

So, wait, is this still happening after all? My twitter feed suddenly has a bunch of critics talking about this like they just found out about it.

(and they're all having the same confused discussion that resets every hour regarding the definition of terms like HD, Pan & Scan, 4:3, etc...)

Please don't crop it and get me a Blu-ray STAT!!! I'm blind buying this. I'm a snob whose wanted to see the show for awhile but I don't watch SD content.

Yeah - but it's not like nobody's seen it in a version that WASN'T standard def. That's literally all there is.

Supposedly, the HD episodes will starting airing on Monday (Sept. 8) at 8 pm on HBO Signature, although I don't see it listed in my programming guide yet.

Any idea if the remastered stuff will be put up on hbogo? I jsut finished season 1 on there and will wait if theyre going to put it up

duckroll

I was looking at my HBO guide the other day (HBO Asia here), and noticed that The Wire started airing on HBO Signature last month, from Season 1. I haven't checked any of it out yet. The next episode is at 9pm tomorrow. Maybe I should take a look and see if it's related to this? Usually we get stuff a bit later than the US, so I figured this was just a rerun of the old stuff. Anyone else watching it on HBO Asia?

MaxDOL

I was looking at my HBO guide the other day (HBO Asia here), and noticed that The Wire started airing on HBO Signature last month, from Season 1. I haven't checked any of it out yet. The next episode is at 9pm tomorrow. Maybe I should take a look and see if it's related to this? Usually we get stuff a bit later than the US, so I figured this was just a rerun of the old stuff. Anyone else watching it on HBO Asia?
I saw it and I think it look not really sharp enough to be real HD.
Although I am not sure because I rarely watch HBO Signature and the other show that I compare it to look like to be an upscale to me.

Raphael

I saw it and I think it look not really sharp enough to be real HD.
Although I am not sure because I rarely watch HBO Signature and the other show that I compare it to look like to be an upscale to me.

But it surely looks better I hope?

wU8cJ3V.png

http://www.avclub.com/article/wires-depressing-urban-decay-be-rendered-stunning--208752

While all of The Wire was produced in 4:3 aspect ratio, in keeping with—as DP David Insley says—David Simon’s belief that it “feels more like real life and real television,” the first three seasons, at least, were “future-proofed” by being framed as 16:9. (A widescreen version even streamed briefly on Amazon.) A commenter on HBO Watch, where the report originated, who claims to be working in the VFX house where the remaster is taking place says the show will be broadcast in 16:9—though obviously we won’t know for sure until Thursday. In the meantime, purists are advised to begin freaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom