• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO is airing a marathon of The Wire remastered in HD (one season per day, Dec 26-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Season one of this show was so great. But I found it kept going downhill after that until I finally lost interest after the barksdale plot finished. There was nothing interesting about marlo and his gang. I think the show just became too unfocused with a lot of different side characters and side plots.

BiaGrTAIIAA5dO4.jpg:large

bigfurb

Season one of this show was so great. But I found it kept going downhill after that until I finally lost interest after the barksdale plot finished. There was nothing interesting about marlo and his gang. I think the show just became too unfocused with a lot of different side characters and side plots.

WTF!!?!?

Jigorath

Banned

First time I've ever heard anyone call The Wire unfocused.

duckroll

Episode 4 just started here on HBO Signature HD (HBO Asia), and I just checked for a few minutes. It's really weird. Definitely looks upscaled, and while it's presented in 16:9, it's not actually 16:9. It's stretched. But the HBO logo and the Chinese subtitles are formatted for 16:9, so when you change the screen mode to 4:3, they look squished, but the actual picture looks right. Really shoddy job. I really doubt this is what the US will be getting, so the waiting game continues.

Episode 4 just started here on HBO Signature HD (HBO Asia), and I just checked for a few minutes. It's really weird. Definitely looks upscaled, and while it's presented in 16:9, it's not actually 16:9. It's stretched. But the HBO logo and the Chinese subtitles are formatted for 16:9, so when you change the screen mode to 4:3, they look squished, but the actual picture looks right. Really shoddy job. I really doubt this is what the US will be getting, so the waiting game continues.
I've been checking my guide (U.S) here on that channel and it doesn't show up. What if this promo was really meant for international markets?

I'm a bit bummed out b/c I don't think that airing is happening in the states. If it isn't, HBO can go suck on it.

4>2>3>1>5.

But i like 5 all the same, despite the silly serial killer plot line.

Naaaaahhhh.

3 = 4 > 1 > 5 > 2

I feel bad about rating 2 at the bottom. Its not that it was bad, its just I didn't care about most of the new characters, and most of them ended up irrelevant to the remaining seasons anyways.

yodandy

So this has probably been covered but what's up with these episodes being HD / Widescreen on Amazon then pulled? I am slowly making my way thru this over the weeks and it looked real nice. Got to watch 4 episodes in season 2 before they were swapped back to non-widescreen a few weeks ago. Did they jump the gun?

(Forgive me for 0 technical terms. I don't understand this stuff.)

So this has probably been covered but what's up with these episodes being HD / Widescreen on Amazon then pulled? I am slowly making my way thru this over the weeks and it looked real nice. Got to watch 4 episodes in season 2 before they were swapped back to non-widescreen a few weeks ago. Did they jump the gun?

(Forgive me for 0 technical terms. I don't understand this stuff.)

Yes.

So far, their HD upscales have been 4:3 despite the masters being widescreen. Hope this remaster is different than their usual 'upscale' claims.

The Wire's masters being open-matte (which it seems they are) isnt' the same as the masters being widescreen.

The framing on the 4:3 and the 16:9 are different, it's not a matter of just adding black bars to the 4:3 image to get widescreen, or throwing black bars on the side of the master to get 4:3. They're reframing shots.

Sorry for the bump but has this remastered episodes been shown yet? I'm in the UK and sky seem to be indicating the full box set in HD will be available at the end of this month.

Here's the PR:
HBO PR said:
HBO® Unveils New High-Definition Re-Mastering of Award-Winning Hit Series The Wire®

In the six years that have passed since the conclusion of the HBO series The Wire, the critically acclaimed drama has turned into a worldwide phenomenon that has been hailed as “one of the best and most original series on television in decades” by the New York Times. Now, new and old fans of the series can watch the show like never before thanks to a brand new High-Definition upgrade of all 60 episodes, which will debut in December on HBO Signature® and HBO GO®. The Wire: The Complete Series will be available to own on Digital HD Monday, January 5, 2015 and on Blu-rayTM in Summer 2015.

The entire series has been beautifully re-mastered in 16x9 Full-Frame HD from more than 8,000 reels of original 35mm camera negative, allowing for a tighter fit on widescreen TVs and computer/tablet screens. The original negatives were scanned, edited, dust-busted and color-corrected with great care and attention taken to stay true to the look and feel of the original Standard-Definition 4x3 version.

The Wire: The Complete Series in HD will be available for the first time as a full series purchase at iTunes, Google Play, X-Box Video and Vudu on January 5. Individual episodes and seasons will be available through all of HBO’s Digital HD retailers.

To celebrate the HD launch, HBO Signature will air the entire series consecutively, one season per day starting with season 1 on Friday, December 26 at noon. The marathon will wrap with season 5 on Tuesday, December 30.

This will be the first time The Wire has aired on a linear HBO channel since Season 5 wrapped in 2008, as well as the first time that all five seasons of the entire series have aired consecutively on the network.

Here's the PR:

Goddammit, HBO, you stupid motherfuckers.

you finally

finally

go back to the camera negatives to remaster this fucking thing...and then you ruin your HD transfer by fucking pan-and-scanning it.

edit: also confused at people who know this show is legitimately great, and wanted to see it, but wouldn't actually let themselves watch it until it was in HD. As if the resolution was going to stop the storytelling from hitting you.

hwalker84

you finally

finally

go back to the camera negatives to remaster this fucking thing...and then you ruin your HD transfer by fucking pan-and-scanning it.

edit: also confused at people who know this show is legitimately great, and wanted to see it, but wouldn't actually let themselves watch it until it was in HD. As if the resolution was going to stop the storytelling from hitting you.

I'm a snob. I actually don't watch streaming media either because the picture quality isn't on the level I require. I'm waiting for the bluray's.

I'm currently watching this on Amazon (On ep5 season 2). It's 16X9 and doesn't appear to be pan and scan from a 4:3 ratio. However, HBOgo is 4:3 and really seems to be cropped. I'm convinced this was originally shot in some widescreen format.

Great show, btw.

Raistlin

Having never seen it, this is exciting.

Sorry if this has been answered, but is the HBO Go version the HD remaster?

Also LOL at Amazon. They just dropped mad loot to get HBO back catalog .... including the Wire in SD. A few months later HBO drops the HD Remaster
facebook-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

you finally

finally

I was going to be more vulgar but this will do.

Having never seen it, this is exciting.

Sorry if this has been answered, but is the HBO Go version the HD remaster?

Nah, the remaster hasn't actually dropped yet. The stuff on Amazon isn't any higher resolution than the DVDs, but it is reframed for 16x9 in some instances.

afternoon delight said:
I was going to be more vulgar but this will do.

Fuck, I should re-edit it so it is more vulgar.

There's like, zero reason to do this. Or at least to do this and then make it the only option. I'm sure they very carefully reframed the shots (or at least I hope they were fuckin' careful) but still. It's a concession to people who don't need to be conceded to. You can have an HD transfer of 1.33 material. You don't NEED to alter the aspect ratio.

Started watching this and so far two episodes in. I'm pretty much bored outta my ass. Yeah its gritty and real but I dont find any character compelling enough to keep me hooked.

Cudder

Started watching this and so far two episodes in. I'm pretty much bored outta my ass. Yeah its gritty and real but I dont find any character compelling enough to keep me hooked.

This show is the definition of slow burn. And right when you you start loving it towards the end of S1, they pull the fucking rug out from under you and make S2 about something completely different.

Season 4 is incredible, though.

yodandy

I just finished this entire series a month ago. Watched it in all of its 4:3 glory on a 120" projector. It did not look great. Wish I would have had the HD version, but man what a great show.

Long blog post from David Simon about the HD release:

- The Wire in HD
At the last, I’m satisfied what while this new version of The Wire is not, in some specific ways, the film we first made, it has sufficient merit to exist as an alternate version. There are scenes that clearly improve in HD and in the widescreen format. But, there are things that are not improved. And even with our best resizing, touchups and maneuver , there are some things that are simply not as good. That’s the inevitability here: This new version, is, after all, is one that is presented in an aspect ratio that simply wasn’t intended or serviced by the filmmakers.

Still, being equally honest here, there can be no denying that an ever-greater portion of the television audience has HD widescreen televisions staring at them from across the living room, and that they feel notably oppressed if all of their entertainments do not advantage themselves of the new hardware. It vexes them in the same way that many with color television sets were long ago bothered by the anachronism of black-and-white films, even carefully conceived black-and-white films. For them, The Wire seems frustrating or inaccessible — even more so than we intended it. And, hey, we are always in it to tell people a story, first and foremost. If a new version brings a few more thirsty critters to the water’s edge, then so be it.
Much more via the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom