• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst: "Live service games will come day and date on PS5 and PC"

Draugoth

Gold Member
Hermen Hulst, soon to be co-CEO of Sony's PlayStation business, addresses day 1 PC releases. Live service games will come day and date on PS5 and PC, but single player narrative games on PC are designed to then entice PC owners to play sequels on a PlayStation console

JUg7QIU.png

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Soon enough it will be single player games too - you would be a fool to think otherwise.
Wont happen overnight - and it might take awhile - but it will happen.

Plus if the next 'consoles' have Steam integrated - pretty much all games will be on all consoles.
Its a new era of gaming - thats for sure. Gonna be some major growing pains for the diehards.

Soon enough it will be single player games too - you would be a fool to think otherwise.
Wont happen overnight - and it might take awhile - but it will happen.

Plus if the next 'consoles' have Steam integrated - pretty much all games will be on all consoles.
Its a new era of gaming - thats for sure. Gonna be some major growing pains for the diehards.
Why the hell would Playstation put Steam in their ecosystem? What we learned tonight is that Playstation isn't changing anything going forward. PC players going to have to wait minimum 2 years for PS5 ports

Last edited:

Kilau

It should be all of them but yeah no shit GASS games. They are designed to generate money after the initial interaction so they need that audience.

Kssio_Aug

PC players know they're gonna release their SP games there from now on, after about a year. And there's more than enough going on on PC all the time to keep players busy in the meantime.

I don't think they're gonna succeed at all at converting these players. But I also don't think they actually believe it.

They're probably saying it mainly to keep PS5 players on their platform, instead of bringing PC players to it.

Last edited:

XXL

There are already tons of PC players that have Playstation systems. If Sony went day and date with everything, that would drastically affect their ecosystem, just as it did with Xbox
100%

I play games on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, PSVR 2, Quest, etc.

The only one I sort of regret buying is the Series X and its mainly because of the games being day 1 on PC.

PC gamers aren't just PC gamers, they generally own other systems too.

So yeah, this is the best way forward for Playstation, in my opinion.

I'll definitely keep buying Playstation's and Nintendo's in the future for the exclusive titles regardless of other platforms I use.

PC players know they're gonna release their SP games there from now on, after about a year. And there's more than enough going on on PC all the time to keep players busy in the meantime.

I don't think they're gonna succeed at all at converting these players. But I also don't think they actually believe it.

They're probably saying it mainly to keep PS5 players on their platform, instead of bringing PC players to it.

Hulst never said console, he said Playstation platform, and that wasn't a mistake.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Never give up do you for Day 1.

Theres more chance of it going the other way.

Sony has stopped publishing games on PC in the past.

Don’t forget Psygnosis and SOE.
No chance.

Think of all those small 3rd party publishers from the late 90s like Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Take 2 etc...

They all became massive companies because they went day and date with everything.

Hardware is losing relevance in the modern era.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
PC gamers have effectively become second class citizens having to contend with drastically higher prices because of this AI future, it is understandably a tough/sucky situation and I sincerely mean that. I think Sony understands now more than ever that they can successfully court a greater share of the PC market with a mid gen refresh this time around because of the aforementioned market dynamics.

Top Bottom