• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst: "Live service games will come day and date on PS5 and PC"

Sentenza

They already knew that, that's why this is their strategy.
That's not what I'm saying at all. In fact the opposite.
I'm saying that I see this divide as something that will HARM their single player lineup on the long run.

This is a strategy that will make "GAAS" look inherently more successful in their eyes in the long term, and only because they are not going to give their single player a FAIR chance to be a breakout hit on PC, too.

The rabidly territorialist Playstation fans who are cheering about the "single player flagship titles" remaining console exclusive are basically endorsing their own demise and they don't even realize it.

Last edited:

SSfox

Yeah he can talk and all but they lost all credibility

They shoot themselves with those PC ports. Way less people will buy the next PlayStation compare to before. When they will announce PS6 no one will be hype about that shit, cause the word "exclusive" lost all it's meaning when it comes to PlayStation since Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst took the lead.

But the next Nintendo console is another story, people will be hype about that Jurassic Hardware and you know why? because it will have real exclusives since Nintendo didn't sold their ass to Steam like Sony did.

Killjoy-NL

That's not what I'm saying at all. In fact the opposite.
I'm saying that I see this divide as something that will HARM their single player lineup on the long run.

This is a strategy that will make "GAAS" look inherently more successful in their eyes in the long term, and only because they are not going to give their single player a FAIR chance to be a breakout hit on PC, too.

The rabidly territorialist Playstation fans who are cheering about the "single player flagship titles" remaining console exclusive are basically endorsing their own demise and they don't even realize it.
What they are saying, is that they need to add more Gaas to their output to keep people playing within their eco-system and to generate steady revenue, as time between major releases is increasing.
Otherwise, their business-model will become unsustainable.

So it's actually the anti-GaaS demographic that would lead to the downfall of Playstation.

Last edited:

Reckheim

I'm a PC player. I bought a PS5 specifically to play big games I don't want to wait for as soon as they come out. I still can't play Demon's Souls or GT7 on PC. I wanted to play FF7:Rebirth ASAP. Same with GTA 6. Their strategy is aimed precisely at people like me who refuse to wait.
yeh, I'm the same way. Id drop the ps5 as soon as they announced no more exclusives.

Can't really fault them for not wanting their hardware business to crater like xbox did.

MH3M3D

One day there will be a tipping point where they will earn more going PC+Console on day 1. But as long as they're the market leader, it aint gonna happen anytime soon.

Varteras

Gold Member
Your a PlayStation player then.
Lol shut the hell up. 99% of my game time is spent on PC.

And no shit most PC gamers won't budge. But there are those who will. Like myself. Like half my gaming circle who are also PC players but also bought a PS5 to play some games ASAP. Like Topher Topher .

So they get people like us to keep buying the hardware. Their fans keep buying PlayStation because they're console players and because it doesn't matter to them that big games come out 2 to 4 years later on PC.

Then the PC crowd who, as you said yourself, aren't hurting for games to play. So if a PlayStation game that interests them comes out, they'll buy it. Not turn their nose at it because it was out on PlayStation years ago.

This isn't some elaborate plan to take over PC gamers. If you think it is, well, let's just say that doesn't surprise me when you're incapable of separating a PlayStation gamer from a PC gamer who has a PlayStation.

King Dazzar

Good. Sounds like they know what they're doing. Phil should be taking notes.

On the other hand. Still sceptical about the state of play though. Hope it surprises me.

Fredrik

Yeah, like GoT that will be blocked in non-PSN countries.

So much for your argument.
Ghost PSN sync is optional, and the block is country based and store related. You know this. It’s not about a long term plan to move PC players off Steam to a PS launcher.

What’s their long term plan now?

Killjoy-NL

Ghost PSN sync is optional, and the block is country based and store related. You know this. It’s not about a long term plan to move PC players off Steam to a PS launcher.

What’s their long term plan now?
That was supposedly the main argument some were ranting about here on Gaf, right?

So it doesn't matter to Sony in the grand scheme of things, just for HD2 because they messed up the messaging regarding it's requirement at launch.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GG and Bend should've stayed to Single Player and Bungie should've been shifter to multi genre. Too much gaas already.
GG and Bend are not in the GaaS section of the slide. They are making games with multiplayer elements like GT7. Sony used to make these all the time with uncharted, killzone, resistance all having mp modes.

The next horizon and bend's game will basically have online components but wont be gaas like suicide squad or helldivers. they will be primarily single player games with an online mode on the side.

Fredrik

That was supposedly the main argument some were ranting about here on Gaf, right?

So it doesn't matter to Sony in the grand scheme of things, just for HD2 because they messed up the messaging regarding it's requirement at launch.
The ranting and review bombing were obviously noticed, and was about a requirement to login to PSN to play HD2. Then Sony did a MS-like ”We hear you” reversal.
And now what? What’s the plan?

I just don’t see how anything they do on PC now can lead to a long term strategy that is great for Playstation.

If anything Sony just makes it easier for Playstation fans to feel at home on PC now with the optional Playstation overlay.
Is that a good plan?? 🤷‍♂️

It’s all backwards.

Do the opposite. PC gamers should feel at home on Playstation, if they want people to make that move. Let people sync their Steam account and friends list and achievements and saves in games on Playstation. Let people use mods. Mouse and keyboard. Unlock settings menus. No online paywall. Etc. Console gamers might not want any of that but PC gamers do and that’s why they stay on PC even when consoles sometimes have exclusives.

And timed exclusivity isn’t working properly when games are patched post-release, FOMO to play day 1 is not really kicking in. You literally know you’ll play the worst possible version when you play day 1. Yay 😕

BouncyFrag

So basically we’re halfway there
a5697e45-f509-47dd-9989-8b6608d064d0_text.gif

Bond007

I think the difference between Sony and Microsoft here is that the PS5 console itself is successful.
I don't see Sony losing sight that they need to actually move consoles. They need a away to maximize the juices of what they have while still maintaining excitement over it's console.
Microsoft is in a position where maybe consoles isnt their future any more and releasing everywhere makes sense.

Last edited:

twilo99

This whole paradigm is being propped up by GenX and millennials, they are the two demographic groups that grew up without smartphones and were conditioned to play video games on consoles. Once we move to the world of GenZ and Alpha this whole thing falls apart because they simply DO NOT care about consoles or AAA single player games. It will be fortnite/gaas and handhelds.

Nintendo are in a very good position to handle the incoming transition..

This whole paradigm is being propped up by GenX and millennials, they are the two demographic groups that grew up without smartphones and were conditioned to play video games on consoles. Once we move to the world of GenZ and Alpha this whole thing falls apart because they simply DO NOT care about consoles or AAA single player games. It will be fortnite/gaas and handhelds.

Nintendo are in a very good position to handle the incoming transition..

Maybe. I'm still skeptical about what will happen in the future. Looking at kids now and deciding that this will be the way they play games forever isn't realistic IMO. My gaming habits have changed drastically from when I was a kid. We could see the same from GenZ and Alpha as well.

Maybe. I'm still skeptical about what will happen in the future. Looking at kids now and deciding that this will be the way they play games forever isn't realistic IMO. My gaming habits have changed drastically from when I was a kid. We could see the same from GenZ and Alpha as well.
It will be incredibly sad if today's children are still playing Roblox, Minecraft, and Fortnite by the time they are 30

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Everything you sell, you want it going to the largest possible audience. GAAS, single player games, pizza, whoopie cushions etc...

Business 101

This is 100% NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!!!! Human history proves this to be incorrect on all levels.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Alright, you bring up some good points. I respectfully back away slowly. You won this round.

Thanks! :)

- Apple doesn't release all their apps on every device.
- Disney doesn't sell their movies to every streaming network
- Amazon Basic items can't be bought in Walmart or Target.

Fredrik

”PS5”
”Playstation platforms”
”Playstation at large”
”Playstation platforms specifically”

Is he sometimes referring to PS6 here or a handheld or PSVR or a PS launcher or everything? So many definitions used.

Top Bottom