• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst: "Live service games will come day and date on PS5 and PC"

All companies soon:

Mom Starz GIF by Power

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
but single player narrative games on PC are designed to then entice PC owners to play sequels on a PlayStation console
Jimmy Fallon Comedy GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

They're failing epically at this though.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I'm a PC gamer and these live service games can come out in any order they want and at any time, i won't be buying them on PC and i won't be buying a PS5 to buy and play them either, after all they just want you to keep paying money over and over after you've bought the games anyway.

As for buying a Playstation to play sequels, is he on the drink, if i wanted to play PS games i would have bought a PS4 or 5 anyway, and i never have, or an Xbox, if they come to PC great especially if they are a really good port like GOT but if not, fine, i'll just play the PC games i'm use to like i always have!, if he thinks PC gamers will switch or buy a PS5 in high numbers after splashing a lot more money on PC hardware he is in for a shock, a small amount will at most and probably already own a Playstation.

Last edited:

Taycan77

It's amusing to see how pissed off Tom Warren is at Sony not following Microsoft and destroying their console business.

I'm happy to discuss the merits of this move, the industry in general, or just games with anyone. But it pisses me off when journalists engage in console war shit, make disingenuous comments, or omit important details from their statements. They think their audience are too dumb to notice these things.

I guess that's what happens when you've been shilling to the Xbox community for years and lapping up Phil's bullshit.

demigod

It's amusing to see how pissed off Tom Warren is at Sony not following Microsoft and destroying their console business.

I'm happy to discuss the merits of this move, the industry in general, or just games with anyone. But it pisses me off when journalists engage in console war shit, make disingenuous comments, or omit important details from their statements. They think their audience are too dumb to notice these things.

I guess that's what happens when you've been shilling to the Xbox community for years and lapping up Phil's bullshit.
He’s just following microsoft’s script like all the green rats are doing because it partially killed xbox. Push day and date on pc hard.

It's their current strategy and what they've been doing for years now. I told people they wouldn't be going day and date for their single player games but people said they would follow Microsoft's lead. Those people are looking idiotic now.

It's hilarious watching idiots like Paul Tassi and Tom Warren rage over being wrong about Sony's strategy. They all said Sony follow MS and they were dead wrong.

Last edited:

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member

Is he? Seemed like a pretty matter of fact tweet (or X or whatever)

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
l. they will just wait for it
Sony will make a buck on this crowd 2-3 years later at a full price.

The master plan is to swing more attached users, hence the PSN integration. By the time you decide to own a hardware you’ll have a PSN account with trophies already.

You should also consider the fact that staggered SP PC release tactics for Sony is basically free money cheat. ROIs on those ports are insane because PS5 built on the same (albeit slightly custom) PC hardware and you can sell 3yo game at a full price wihout any visible shame.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's their current strategy and what they've been doing for years now. I told people they wouldn't be going day and date for their single player games but people said they would follow Microsoft's lead. Those people are looking idiotic now.

It's hilarious watching idiots like Paul Tassi and Tom Warren rage over being wrong about Sony's strategy. They all said Sony follow MS and they were dead wrong.
If this was before Horizon ZD came out on PC in 2020, most Sony gamers assumed at the time zero PS games would ever come to PC. Yet here we are.

4 years later there's tons of ports, day one GAAS, and even VR2 will work on PC soon. They even opened a PC gaming label and bought Nixxes for porting. They announced a VR2/PC support statement months ago and the latest thread about a VR2/PC dongle supports it. Even MLB The Show is on Xbox and Switch.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
He's deluded if he thinks any PC player will be enticed to play sequels on their platform. They clearly don't know them.
yep. these guys wont even download epic game store, uplay, xbox or ea apps despite better deals and literally free games, and herman thinks these dudes want to plunk down $500 on his console for a game that will come to pc in a couple of years. if not sooner.

he needs to stop chasing these guys. what he needs to do is go after the console owners who go to pc. like his predecessor andrew house did.

yurinka

Nice to hear they'll continue with the same strategy.

You think PC owners are buying PS5's now 🤔
According to the leaked Insomniac documents as of a year and a half ago, around half or more of the people who bought PS5s never had a PS before / were new PSN users.

Sequels of games ported to PC sold later better on PS5, even achieving sales records.

So pretty likely yes.

Didn't helldivers 2 come out day and date with PC/PS5? This isn't new.
He explained that they have a dual approach:
  • Live service games (like Helldivers 2 or Destiny) released day one on PC
  • Their (non-GaaS) single player games release on PS only, and are brought to PC some time later
Haven't seen a narrative pushed so hard since

Sony will follow the gamepass model.
It isn't any narrative, it's whaat PS has been doing and saying for years.

And no, won't follow the gamepass model: PS prefers to keep having a profitable and successful business model and game subscription instead. They said many times that won't put their games day one on GP because business wise doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
There are some that have. We have no data to say to what extent that is.
I doubt the number is significant.

If Sony wants more of them, it's very simple: port Bloodborne to PC, announce the sequel for PS5 only and tell them you'll never port it to PC.

Easy 5M PS5s sold.

Last edited:
There are several folks in this thread that have me wondering how they are still here. Gold memberships and have been banned for extended periods of time in the past for console warring, with perm warnings, and are still here doing the same. Stfu, you legitimately contribute trash to the community here, please stop. It’s so damn tired at this point, I don’t even know what else to say about it.

I doubt the number is significant.

If Sony wants more of them, it's very simple: port Bloodborne to PC, announce the sequel for PS5 only and tell them you'll never port it to PC.

Easy 5M PS5s sold.

It may not need to be so significant, especially this early, to warrant success in their mind

Taycan77

If this was before Horizon ZD came out on PC in 2020, most Sony gamers assumed at the time zero PS games would ever come to PC. Yet here we are.

4 years later there's tons of ports, day one GAAS, and even VR2 will work on PC soon. They even opened a PC gaming label and bought Nixxes for porting. They announced a VR2/PC support statement months ago and the latest thread about a VR2/PC dongle supports it. Even MLB The Show is on Xbox and Switch.
4 years later we also have pretty impressive console hardware and a mid-gen refresh on the way incorporating much of the next-gen features PC gamers have enjoyed. There was a time when the console experience was notably inferior to PC - but that gap is rapidly closing with the biggest hurdle being the time/cost of game development.

So in short I don't actually care if Sony bring games to PC day & date - I just find some of the talk from the wider PC community about how superior their experience is to be rather short-sighted. With the arrival of PS5 Pro and 1st party utilisation of PSSR etc., I genuinely think owners of the new console hardware will have a technically better experience than the great majority of PC gamers.

For that same reason I expect many PC owners to pick up a console, in addition to the many that already have one.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
You think PC owners are buying PS5's now 🤔
Friend of mine bought PS5 just for Rebirth because he was very much into Intergrade and wanted to try Rise of Ronin and Stellar Blade along the way. It's not like $500 is a huge or unimaginable sum for people who drop around $700-$1000 every two years on rig upgrades. Oh, he also bought slighrtly used PS5DE for like $300.

Console is also way more convenient to use with TV, especially fracturing in HDR. I own a monster rig, but I play quite a lot of games on my PS5 even if they're avaliable on my PC. Some of them are less broken on a console (Jedi Survivor) and some just easier to enjoy with no-fuss HDR support and wireless DualSense features. As of now I'm very enjoying Baldur's Gate 3 on a huge screen co-oping with my wife despite clocking around 250+ hours on PC already.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

So the live service games will be priced same on PC and PS5 with same launch date, but if you are playing on PS5, you'll have to shell out more for the online play(PS+), which means PS5 owners end up paying more for same experience. Bad deal if you are a PS5 owner.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This strategy makes the most sense and was the one I thought they would follow.

I still think Sony might test a title as Day and date.

I also hope they retroactively add trophy support to their PC games.

Being optional of course.

Fredrik

lol @ the idea of PC players buying a console for a sequel that will come to PC anyway.
Lol yeah good luck with that. As said earlier almost all my friends play on PC and I have not once seen anyone buy a console for exclusives. Switch excluded, usually bought as a family console.
Literally, the only ones who have Xbox or Playstation are those who come from the console side and has later moved over to PC, like me. Nobody who played first on PC are playing on consoles, they barely even realize the console exclusive games exist.

Yup Sony has no interest to destroy their console business like Microsoft did, they want to exploit the PC market to enrich their current business.
Pretty much,

If they put single player first party games on pc day and date it would make PlayStation consoles a harder sell plus they would lose the lifetime value of each customer within their ecosystem.

When people own a PlayStation they are locked into buying games on the PSN store which Sony gets a cut of on every game sold. Putting games like god of war day and date on PC would just make companies like valve richer which could be Sony’s downfall. This is one the reasons Xbox hasn’t put a native game pass app on the steam deck, why make valve more money for free when they could just create their own PC handheld or do a partnership with valve.

Kssio_Aug

Friend of mine bought PS5 just for Rebirth because he was very much into Intergrade and wanted to try Rise of Ronin and Stellar Blade along the way. It's not like $500 is a huge or unimaginable sum for people who drop around $700-$1000 every two years on rig upgrades. Oh, he also bought slighrtly used PS5DE for like $300.

Console is also way more convenient to use with TV, especially fracturing in HDR. I own a monster rig, but I play quite a lot of games on my PS5 even if they're avaliable on my PC. Some of them are less broken on a console (Jedi Survivor) and some just easier to enjoy with no-fuss HDR support and wireless DualSense features. As of now I'm very enjoying Baldur's Gate 3 on a huge screen co-oping with my wife despite clocking around 250+ hours on PC already.
Dual Sense features.
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

You and your friend are huge exceptions. The biggest majority of players won't give a damn if Sony takes a year to release their games on PC. As a matter of fact, even if Sony decided not to release their games on PC anymore, they would probably not attract these PC players anyway. PC players in general never really cared, otherwise they would have made the jump already, a long time ago.

Sony wants people double-dipping, and they also want PS5 owners to feel valued in their platform, because they're worth more there than on PC. That's why they're still refusing to release SP games on PC day one.

Last edited:

Fredrik

As for buying a Playstation to play sequels, is he on the drink, if i wanted to play PS games i would have bought a PS4 or 5 anyway, and i never have, or an Xbox, if they come to PC great especially if they are a really good port like GOT but if not, fine, i'll just play the PC games i'm use to like i always have!, if he thinks PC gamers will switch or buy a PS5 in high numbers after splashing a lot more money on PC hardware he is in for a shock, a small amount will at most and probably already own a Playstation.
I think this is about the double dip money. They know some PS gamers have a PC too from last gen when saying Xbox weren’t needed when MS started porting their games to PC. So they hope FOMO will kick in so those people buy first on PS and then again on PC for better performance and graphics and ultrawide support and mods etc.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

And that's literally a non-issue. It's not like PC doesn't have tons of games not being released on consoles (including PS5) anytime soon either.

No one is going to complain if they start coming day one eventually though, obviously. That's the desirable outcome, but not a necessity by any means.
And literally nobody is saying otherwise.

Doesn't change anything about Sony's strategy of getting people outside of the PS eco-system into the eco-system and onto consoles.

And going by that recent thread about price increases for PC hardware, there are already some PC gamers contemplating getting a PS5 Pro instead of upgrading their hardware.
And that's what Playstation is aiming at. They're not trying to replace PC, they just want more people to buy a Playstation alongside their PC.

SNG32

Sony will make a buck on this crowd 2-3 years later at a full price.

The master plan is to swing more attached users, hence the PSN integration. By the time you decide to own a hardware you’ll have a PSN account with trophies already.

You should also consider the fact that staggered SP PC release tactics for Sony is basically free money cheat. ROIs on those ports are insane because PS5 built on the same (albeit slightly custom) PC hardware and you can sell 3yo game at a full price wihout any visible shame.
I think we can expect this route for PS5 but for PS6 things maybe a little different depending on console sales. You’re entering a generation where PlayStation games are guaranteed to come to PC. Besides PC players don’t mind waiting since there’s a tremendous amount of games to be played new or old.

I think once they get a storefront up it will be telling what direction they go. They could release day and date on a PC storefront and years later on something steam.

Last edited:

Taycan77

Lol yeah good luck with that. As said earlier almost all my friends play on PC and I have not once seen anyone buy a console for exclusives. Switch excluded, usually bought as a family console.
Literally, the only ones who have Xbox or Playstation are those who come from the console side and has later moved over to PC, like me. Nobody who played first on PC are playing on consoles, they barely even realize the console exclusive games exist.
PC gamers who post on forums and talk about their 'rigs' are a niche of a niche.

Most of the PC community are playing on shitboxes bought at their local electronics store or a laptop that doubles up for school/work.

Not only is a console attractive for it's exclusives, in many cases it will deliver a better experience, both technically and with ease of use.

There's already data out in the wild showing 1/3rd of PC gamers own a console, while Sony themselves have 3-4 years of real world data. The PlayStation business continues to go from strength to strength, while the Xbox console business has crashed on the back of day & date PC releases and Gamepass.

It's time to put personal wishes and anecdotes aside and look at the wider market. Sony have called it correct while facing intense pressure to follow in the steps of Microsoft. I'm sure Phil and co. would love to rewind the clock and reverse some of their decisions!

Last edited:
Top Bottom