• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Hey! Been lurking this thread for a while but haven't posted.

My first "I have a real job now" purchase after college was a big red MVS 4 slot cab. Still running strong 9 years and 3 moves later and I have a decent collection of games - I definitely go the playable-and-not-a-boot-I-hope route, not the collectors full kit route.

*Anyway* haven't bought a cart in a while but recently picked up Waku Waku 7 (Korean) and am having a blast. Started jonesing for the game when playing Overwatch actually - the character designs in both are memorable and colorful.

CqmC-UUVIAADF-H.jpg

(And yes that's my crappy hand-drawn Puzzle Bobble marque insert)

Pretty much have all the neo games I'd want except a few that seem pretty damn hard to get (at least without paying an arm and a leg)

Would love to someday get my hands on:
Super Dodge Ball
Neo Bomberman
Puzzle Bobble 2

I got a cheap sealed copy of the NGCD version of 2020 Super Baseball. It will now sit on my shelf unopened, forever.

lol j/k, opened that motherfucker up. I love that game.

You know that happened with me and KOF 98, bought the entire CD KOF collection in probably the cheapest deal I've ever secured three years ago and 98 was sealed. Was hesitant opening at first....

BUT I play games and tore it open too :)

Hey! Been lurking this thread for a while but haven't posted.

My first "I have a real job now" purchase after college was a big red MVS 4 slot cab. Still running strong 9 years and 3 moves later and I have a decent collection of games - I definitely go the playable-and-not-a-boot-I-hope route, not the collectors full kit route.

*Anyway* haven't bought a cart in a while but recently picked up Waku Waku 7 (Korean) and am having a blast. Started jonesing for the game when playing Overwatch actually - the character designs in both are memorable and colorful.

CqmC-UUVIAADF-H.jpg

Pretty much have all the neo games I'd want except a few that seem pretty damn hard to get (at least without paying an arm and a leg)

Would love to someday get my hands on:
Super Dodge Ball
Neo Bomberman
Puzzle Bobble 2

I would love Super Dodge Ball as well, gorgeous cab btw. One day I'll buy a shell and put my MOBO in it or will make a crappy one.

Ban Puncher

Talk about a longshot....

Does anyone know anybody who owns "Neo XYX" for AES in its Japanese version?
And who would be willing to scan the insert for me? I'd pay for the trouble, of course.

Don't worry, it's not about bootlegs.....the game can't be converted anyway, as far as I know. The story behind this is that I finally, finally had the chance to pick up this awesome little game....but it's the US insert. I grabbed it anyway so I could finally play it, but man, does this look out of place next to the other NG Dev Team games which are Japanese.

In addition the cart sticker and the manual correspond with the Japanese artwork as well so I would greatly prefer that insert over mine.

I talked to NG Dev directly and they really wanted to help but don't have the materials anymore. They said that my US version is rarer, though....so if anybody wants to trade inserts..... ^^

So yeah....if you know someone, please help me out here. I'd hugely appreciate it.

You could always design your own box art.

D3sODfh.jpg

Hey GeoGaf! I come seeking your infinite wisdom and guidance.

I'm in the privileged position of owning an Omega system along with MVS carts for Windjammers, King of Fighters '98, Metal Slug, Bust a Move/Puzzle Bobble and Soccer Brawl.

I only really use the system when I have mates over as all of the games I own work best as a 2-player experience. Whilst this is a ton of fun, the frequency with which I've been able to play with my mates has decreased significantly and as a consequence, my Omega is becoming rather neglected.

In general, for single player games, I'm a fan of RPGs and story-driven experiences. I've done some research on what's available on the Neo Geo with regards to these genres but I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend some MVS carts that might be worth me picking up?

Glowsquid

In general, for single player games, I'm a fan of RPGs and story-driven experiences. I've done some research on what's available on the Neo Geo with regards to these genres but I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend some MVS carts that might be worth me picking up?

If you're specifically looking for a game with those qualities and not just any decent arcade SP experiences, Crossed Swords is good fun methink. (I'm ignoring cost and availability as factor, since I don't own a MVS)

AmyS

For cheap factor: Neo Geo Cd, You can get consoles for about 150$, and almost all the must have games are sub $50. I love my NGCD and still buy games for it as recently as last month even with my MVS. The arranged sound tracks make the exaggerated load times more than bearable. Best entry point and it accepts RGB Scart.

(If you're a Gates family member) AES: Best presentation in terms of games/packages but not worth the thousands you'll shell out for any good game.

Metal Slug would cost you grands for example.

Best overall option for PLAYING: MVS + Supergun (Avg $250, but I paid much less thanks to patience) or Consolized MVS ($400+++ but all in one setup, usually gorgeous too)

Pros: Cheap games relative to AES, you actually own a piece of the arcade!, and supergun can open the world to all JAMMA based machines like Capcom CPS 2/3

Cons: Lots of parts like cables, demands decent desktop space, needs an upscaler for HD unless you output to a trinitron or PVM CRT.

Buy cables HERE

Buy Carts: on ebay, here on gaf, or neo-geo.com (but don't join if you only want to be a market leech, share your love and contribute to the community! Some of the most hardcore and passionate people I've had the pleasure of befriending!)

Only thing I would add to DracoBlade's advice is to get a setup with UniBios 3.0 or better installed as that'll get you the best of home and arcade on one system. My setup is a Super Neo 29 Type II cab that I wired for MVS/ CPS1/ MAME instead of a supergun though I understand wanting something more portable. Though there are long periods where I don't touch it but, I'm always pretty happy I have it when I do get back into the mood to play.

I don't think MVS gets too expensive until you start tracking down the rarer games. Prices are definitely under $50 for tons of common MVS games. The NGCD's load times were so notorious that I didn't really give the system much of a shot, so I can't say I know too much else about it.

Thank you both for the suggestions and advice. I think I'm going to go with a consolized MVS. Seems to be the least hassle, with somewhat more upfront cost.

If you're specifically looking for a game with those qualities and not just any decent arcade SP experiences, Crossed Swords is good fun methink. (I'm ignoring cost and availability as factor, since I don't own a MVS)

Nice! That game looks pretty damn cool! Thanks for the rec mate :)

Teknoman

Those hats are floating around somewhere...

EDIT: I dont think i've seen people sell MVS carts on GAF? I bought Metal Slug 2 from Baphomet on accident via Ebay I think, but thats about it lol.

EDIT: I dont think i've seen people sell MVS carts on GAF? I bought Metal Slug 2 from Baphomet on accident via Ebay I think, but thats about it lol.

Yeah, I always keep an eye on the B/S/T thread but I've only seen 1 or 2 MVS carts the entire time I've been using this site. Unsurprising given the rarity but a shame nonetheless. I'd much rather buy from a Gaffer than eBay.

Tempted to trade Metal Slug on neo geo cd or sell it (would much rather trade though).
As I have an MVS copy now, aside from combat school (which is cool for a bit) I don't have much use for it. What say you ?

Ban Puncher

Tempted to trade Metal Slug on neo geo cd or sell it (would much rather trade though).
As I have an MVS copy now, aside from combat school (which is cool for a bit) I don't have much use for it. What say you ?

Neo Geo stuff only appreciates in value. Hang on to it until retirement age and buy an island.

Got a copy of Fatal Fury 3 on AES in today. Nice condition, nice price, everyone should have it and Real Bout in their collections as prices are going up because they are usually the most popular donor cartridges and shock boxes for conversions.

woodypop

Hey, Neo Geo GAF! I need your expertise to make a decision:

Magician Lord is one of my all-time favorite Neo Geo games, and I'd love to have it installed on my Playstation TV. I have two choices: I can get the stand-alone Neo Geo Station version for PSP, which costs $6.99. Or I can get it as part of the SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 for PSP, which costs $19.99.

As far as cost goes, the stand-alone is obviously cheaper, but Arcade Classics Vol. 1 comes with a bunch of other games (including the awesome Last Resort). But my main concern is the quality of the ports. Is one better than the other? Were they ported by different teams? Help!

I think it's charming! =D

Glowsquid

Hey, Neo Geo GAF! I need your expertise to make a decision:

Magician Lord is one of my all-time favorite Neo Geo games, and I'd love to have it installed on my Playstation TV. I have two choices: I can get the stand-alone Neo Geo Station version for PSP, which costs $6.99.

Every Neo Geo station releases have been delisted in August.

I do own the Wii version of SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 (which is supposedly the less problematic version of it), so I can tell you what to expect.

-Some of the games have goofy non-default settings with no ways to change them. So Last Resort starts you with 5 ships instead of 3 and the hardest difficulty on Burning Fight gives you 50 lives with no continues (WTF?). None of the games have the MVS (arcade default) difficulty available. Options are limited to changing the controls and difficulty. You can't edit other DIP settings or switch between AES and MVS mode (which would actually be relevant for Magician Lord because the AES/NGCD and MVS versions have significant gameplay differences).

-Emulation issues: I can't really speak truthfully (not owning most of the games featured on actual NG hardware) but I did notice two things: Gal-Algiesse in Magician Lord has a shitty reverb effect added to his voice (though I don't know if that could possiblly have been a deliberate change because of how goofy he sounds) and the timer in Top Hunter counts down WAY faster than it does in any other versions of the game.

-Video quality isn't great. I mentioned earlier in this thread my Neo Geo CD hooked up on S-Video looks miles ahead of Arcade Classics Vol. 1 on A Wii with component cable.

-The collection has an achievement system which allows you to unlock movelists, high-res artwork used in the AES manuals (nice!) and "tips" videos showing secrets in Metal Slug and Magician Lord (the Metal Slug ones actually show legit secrets, but the Magician Lord ones were rather useless as I recall). It also allows to remap controls on a per-game basis.

Overal though, the collection is decent enough for the price it's available at - or at least the Wii version is, I heard the PSP version is the worst of the lot but I can't speak about that one.

Glowsquid

oh snap

The Neo Geo Stations website was updated with a message saying all of the games were removed from sale, but it seems it only applies to the PS3 versions and the PSP/Vita versions are stil up for sale. Cool.

----

The Neo Geo station releases were developed by M2, who are reputed as the best old video game porting house in the business (this interview with them about the 3DS Classics port of Space Harrier shows how dedicated they are). I don't own have the Magician Lord release, but I do own the Neo Geo Station port of Alpha Mission 2 and it's fantastic. It's perfectly accurate to the original game, has no input lag and excellent video quality, and it offers ton of options: you have full controls over the DIP settings, can switch between the US and Japanese BIOS and AES/MVS mode, there's ton of display options and the control remapping is very extensive. It seem all of the Neo Geo Station releases were based on the same template so all of these options are available in the Magician Lord port too.

If your primary interest is Magician Lord and extra game is just a bonus, then I'd by all means I'd recommend the Neo Geo Station version over SNK Arcade Classics.

woodypop

^Yeah, that's what I figured, especially taking M2 into account. I just wasn't sure if it was relegated to the NG Station version. I have it for the PS3 and wanted to confirm for PSP/Vita/Playstion TV. Thanks!

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I like the system, but I got in when you could get games for a decent price on the home system. There's a few common games that I'd like to get (Mutation Nation, Robo Army, Samurai Shodown 3), but they go for ridiculous prices now. I can't pay 400 bucks for Mutation Nation, sorry.

So I'll have to just enjoy what I have. I have Garou, Metal Slug 3, Magical Drop 3, and Blazing Star, which are my favorite games on the system.

But it would be fun to play League Bowling again without using an emulator. :(

Shinriji

Hey guys, a pawn shop is selling some cheap MVS games, but when I asked him to test, there is some graphic glitches and the sound crackles. It is problem with the arcade itself or maybe is the cartridge?

AmyS

Hey! I found EGM's first look at Fatal Fury - however titled, King of the Fighters.

YDMzfc5.jpg

3Fa9gWZ.jpg
PgjIVrZ.jpg

It's from the February 1992 issue, so I'm guessing the title wasn't finalized at the time this was written, probably sometime between December '91 and January '92, or it was a mistranslation or whatever, which was very common in those days, obviously.

--The main thing tho is, that big screenshot on the right, wow haha.

Teknoman

Hey guys, a pawn shop is selling some cheap MVS games, but when I asked him to test, there is some graphic glitches and the sound crackles. It is problem with the arcade itself or maybe is the cartridge?

Cart i'd think? Sound crackle was a problem with the Spinmaster boot I accidentally bought.

grendelrt

Is there a way to fix it or it is unrecoverable?

More than likely the carts need to be cleaned. Cleaning fixes a lot of glitches. I clean every cartridge I get and put deoxit on it. Use http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page to check for bootlegs.

Shinriji

More than likely the carts need to be cleaned. Cleaning fixes a lot of glitches. I clean every cartridge I get and put deoxit on it. Use http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page to check for bootlegs.

Thanks. The games are pretty old and dusty (spend a lot of time in an old busted cab), so a nice cleaning is in order. The guy want to sell the full arcade unit with an old crt, but I convince him to sell me only the cart.

Celine

Have any of you changed the lens in a Neo Geo CD top loader console?
I did using a lens bought from China but it doesn't work.

Do any of you have a link to a web shop that ship to Italy with good lens for NGCD?

Galdelico

oh snap

The Neo Geo Stations website was updated with a message saying all of the games were removed from sale, but it seems it only applies to the PS3 versions and the PSP/Vita versions are stil up for sale. Cool.

----

The Neo Geo station releases were developed by M2, who are reputed as the best old video game porting house in the business (this interview with them about the 3DS Classics port of Space Harrier shows how dedicated they are). I don't own have the Magician Lord release, but I do own the Neo Geo Station port of Alpha Mission 2 and it's fantastic. It's perfectly accurate to the original game, has no input lag and excellent video quality, and it offers ton of options: you have full controls over the DIP settings, can switch between the US and Japanese BIOS and AES/MVS mode, there's ton of display options and the control remapping is very extensive. It seem all of the Neo Geo Station releases were based on the same template so all of these options are available in the Magician Lord port too.

If your primary interest is Magician Lord and extra game is just a bonus, then I'd by all means I'd recommend the Neo Geo Station version over SNK Arcade Classics.
Oh man, PS Store is so awful on the PS3 that I basically stopped caring about it since a long time, now. And the news completely slipped my attention.
I'm not too bummed out, manily because I already bought all the NG Station games I was interested in (both in the regular NGS series and SNK Minis), but still... If I had known about it, I probably would've purchased all the other ones I missed, just because of M2 support.

The real shame, though, is how stupidly the whole project has been managed since the beginning. Such a waste of technical expertise (the wonderful work by M2 truly deserved to be appreciated with bigger and more luscious games, such as Real Bout 2, Garou, later KoF, Blazing Star...) and potential.

Glowsquid

The real shame, though, is how stupidly the whole project has been managed since the beginning. Such a waste of technical expertise (the wonderful work by M2 truly deserved to be appreciated with bigger and more luscious games, such as Real Bout 2, Garou, later KoF, Blazing Star...) and potential.

I do think it's a waste to always start out with KOF 94, the first Fatal Fury, etc. instead of starting with the really popular later games and the obscure early ones that haven't been endlessly rereleased (Where's my Robo Army, mang?). ASO II is the only NG station game that wasn't rereleased before.

Galdelico

I do think it's a waste to always start out with KOF 94, the first Fatal Fury, etc. instead of starting with the really popular later games and the obscure early ones that haven't been endlessly rereleased (Where's my Robo Army, mang?). ASO II is the only NG station game that wasn't rereleased before.

Couldn't agree more, and that's something I already pointed out in other threads. Stupidest-approach-ever. Resetting every single time, releasing games already packed in several compilations, without anything new to balance the offering... It's never been an exciting perspective for us buyers, knowing right from the start that we had to wait at least a couple of years, before being able to put our hands on something saucy. SNK didn't understand that, and NGS died. CAPCOM didn't understand that, and their Arcade Cabinet died (once again, by their schedule, Super Street Fighter II X would've been out in 2020...). Microsoft didn't understand that, and the Game Room died (while teasing Sunset Riders, ffs). Nintendo apparently got it right with the Wii, and the NG output on the Virtual Console - at least in Japan - was amazing.

Shinriji

Nintendo apparently got it right with the Wii, and the NG output on the Virtual Console - at least in Japan - was amazing.

But it started with the same games as everyone and took almost 5 years to reach the late games. Thing is that no one will buy KOF 94 when 2002 Ultimate is on sale. Going chronologically can maximize sales, that's why everyone does it.

I think that series bundles (and individually for people that don't want every game) is the way to go to sell NG games.

Galdelico

^ Did it really take that long?
I don't own a Wii, but I remember reading Nintendo went the 'newer games along with older ones' way, with NG on the VC. I must be mistaking it with something else.

Thing is that no one will buy KOF 94 when 2002 Ultimate is on sale.
I'm not really sure about it. Clearly, NG Station wasn't aimed to FIFA people, I'm pretty sure no one at SNK expected it to be a huge blockbuster on the PS Store. Personally, I would've bought Fatal Fury, even if it was on sale with Real Bout 2. Heck, I dare to say especially if it was sold in bundle with a more recent episode in the series (same with basically every other saga, tbf).

In case you guys don't hit up the B/S/T thread regularly, a guy is selling a Last Blade MVS cart right now. I'd bite if I wasn't in the UK :(
Not a bad price either for English (serials intact) and great condition from the looks of it. Someone should def hit him up. I got mine a bit ago for cheaper but worst condition.

Thread over on the gaming side for the neo geo flash cart. Links to a review.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1295812

Have been hearing some good things about it. This isn't Darksoft's project though right?

Gyrian

What makes it a vastly superior product?

Off the top of my head (1) this doesn't need patched ROMs and has been tested with the complete officially released library (2) has a proper GUI & in-game menu rather than physical LCD/switches (3) instant boot to last game stored onboard, unlike Darksoft's solution which needs to reload every time you power on.

lherre

Accurate
I'm moving to a new house and this is the final destination of the games.

IMG_6060_zpsccammydd.jpg~original

Some detailed pics

IMG_6058_zpss7nz2iwn.jpg~original

IMG_6057_zpsdfuxvl2v.jpg~original

IMG_6056_zpsvgxw215a.jpg~original

And the rental japanese neogeo

neo1bn7_zpsaa53dba2.jpg~original

Wow, awesome collection!

Curious about the rental situation. I remember reading that games rentals were outlawed in Japan. I guess the hardware itself was exempt?

Those AES games are jaw dropping. LB 1 &2 plus MOTW <3. I want to see the carts (not that I don't believe you :)

Pics or I want to work where you do

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am to poor for this :(
Got a Japanese neogeo cd.
Kof 98
One big controller (that aes shipped with)
One small controller.
And a giant stack of blank cdr's
I know the loading times are meh. But they allow me to get a beer.

I am to poor for this :(
Got a Japanese neogeo cd.
Kof 98
One big controller (that aes shipped with)
One small controller.
And a giant stack of blank cdr's
I know the loading times are meh. But they allow me to get a beer.

Now't wrong with the Neo Geo CD, you can save up and get a few of your fave games on CD for not too bad a price.

As for load times, they are no worse than some modern games.

Top Bottom