• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Wow, I made a post in a thread in the Marketplace forum and I was called a "leech who doesn't know how things work" and to "get the fuck out". LOL quite the community they have there!

And they're still going. The edge is hilarious on a video game forum

Galdelico

Hey NGgaf, asking for some help, if possible.

I'm doing a few custom MVS inlays for a friend, and I'm looking for clean, hi-res artworks and logos for Spin Master and Street Hoop. Any clue on where I should look at? A first, quick googling didn't work out as expected.

Thanks in advance! ^_-

Bar81

Saw a copy of Rage of the Dragons AES for $4000+ today.

I think I am almost done with this shit.

I'm impressed that you're hanging in there. I was fully done with this shit when JP MS1 broke $5k a couple of years ago. It's beyond full retard at this point with no sign it will stop.

Yagami_Sama

Purchase AES stuff is getting harder and harder. Bootlegs numbers are increasing, and the prices are sky rocketing.

One guys was selling Garou for U$ 1.5k, and soundly he increased the price to U$ 3.5k and politely asked why, and he said that, it was because Garou was release on Steam.

Last time I bought a game was on April 2015 and since that day, the price of the games that I want in my collection are just sky rocketing.

Ban Puncher

I'm impressed that you're hanging in there. I was fully done with this shit when JP MS1 broke $5k a couple of years ago. It's beyond full retard at this point with no sign it will stop.

The only game I really need is KoF 2003 to complete my King of Fighters collection.

Everything else is just gravy.

Delicious, expensive gravy.

Balb

Just got an Omega a few days ago and I love it! New to the Neo Geo library and only have a couple games so far but I'm really impressed.

Ban Puncher

I got drunk on new year's Eve and now an AES is on its way to me

Welcome to the party, pal.

4ciCI.gif

brainpann

Just bought an AES myself. Ive had a Neo CD for a couple of years but ended up finding an AES with a game for not a bad price. Ive had it less than 2 weeks and I think Iv already spent almost 800.00 on stuff for it. Will it always be like this? - lol

klee123

Just bought an AES myself. Ive had a Neo CD for a couple of years but ended up finding an AES with a game for not a bad price. Ive had it less than 2 weeks and I think Iv already spent almost 800.00 on stuff for it. Will it always be like this? - lol

Hate to say it, but if you want the games to play, it's probably a better idea to invest in a MVS to AES converter and just get MVS carts.

However, from what I've been seeing MVS games have risen in price too.....

Neo Geo fans are just crazy..............MYSELF INCLUDED!

Saw a copy of Rage of the Dragons AES for $4000+ today.

I think I am almost done with this shit.

I got ROTD complete kit a couple of months ago for 100$ on MVS...

And I almost thought that was too much. Speaking of, new pick ups!

Mind the repro label, trust the guy who sold it to me, totally legit! The game's tag mechanics still hold up, even if some of the character designs don't, but when you have bad ass characters like Rosa and Kim's lineage, I guess you can get away with it ;). Also got Uni Bios, an absolute must have if you go the MVS route, thinking about installing it in my NGCD but that takes a bit more effort.

Another pickup I got a few months back:

Label isn't in the best shape either on MS4 but neither is the gameplay compared to the OG trilogy. Played it all the way through with some friends and, while it's incredible when compared to any other arcade action title, it def doesn't hold a candle to 3
(though what can?)

So, my JP AES arrived and I live in the US. Should I spring for a stepdown converter or a US AES power supply? I've heard it's safe but then I've heard some people are very cautious and don't use JP power supplies in the US

Ban Puncher

So, my JP AES arrived and I live in the US. Should I spring for a stepdown converter or a US AES power supply? I've heard it's safe but then I've heard some people are very cautious and don't use JP power supplies in the US

A stepdown converter can be used with other imported consoles but if you want to leave the Neo Geo plugged in all the time then I would get a local PSU as stepdowns can get really toasty.

Yes Boss!

Thirty years of using import systems and always just plugged them in as normal. No problem. This is, in fact, the first I've heard of using a voltage converter for JPN to NA systems. These things are not that precious no matter what the current environment says. Just go play.

Yep, I have read both sides that GAF just posted here. I would tend to believe it is just a heat dissipation need, but I do have the Cadillac of gaming consoles so maybe I should spring for a quality AC adapter from retro game cave. He said the AES adapters are supposed to return spring/summer

Peltz

Thirty years of using import systems and always just plugged them in as normal. No problem. This is, in fact, the first I've heard of using a voltage converter for JPN to NA systems. These things are not that precious no matter what the current environment says. Just go play.

That sounds risky. I'd still feel safer using a step down converter.

Lancelot

Hey Neo Geo GAF, I'm wondering if this bad boy works with an unmodded AES system. I really like the s-video image from my Wega CRT.

Edir: Nope, not compatible.

tumblr_m4mjhz3P6t1rppy76o1_500.png

Ban Puncher

Hey Neo Geo GAF, I'm wondering if this bad boy works with an unmodded AES system. I really like the s-video image from my Wega CRT.

tumblr_m4mjhz3P6t1rppy76o1_500.png

Unfortunately not. The 8 pin din on a Neo Geo AES and a Mega Drive/Genesis are slightly different shapes (C shape vs U shape) and cannot be used interchangeably.

neogeo.png

megamstr.png

There is an RGB/S-Video box by Micomsoft out there for the AES though.

962-2.jpg

Lancelot

Unfortunately not. The 8 pin din on a Neo Geo AES and a Mega Drive/Genesis are slightly different shapes (C shape vs U shape) and cannot be used interchangeably.

neogeo.png

megamstr.png

There is an RGB/S-Video box by Micomsoft out there for the AES though.

962-2.jpg

Thank you, will look for it soon.

It looks like it includes a cable to run from the headphone jack on the front of the system to that little break out box. Which would be the only way to get actual stereo audio out of an AES, as the 8 pin din on the back only puts out mono.

Ban Puncher

Y'all making me rustle around in cupboards for my old XNEO-1 and take photos at three in the morning...

But is it actually stereo or a split of the mono? I don't think you can get stereo without a mod.
It looks like it includes a cable to run from the headphone jack on the front of the system to that little break out box. Which would be the only way to get actual stereo audio out of an AES, as the 8 pin din on the back only puts out mono.

mSXIRs3.png

You are both technically correct. The best kind of correct.

The 3.5mm jack on the unit is an input that you can connect the headphone jack from the AES to and then have the XNEO-1 output stereo from it's L/R RCA jacks. If you just use the RCA jacks without connecting the 3.5mm jack to the AES, you get mono.

Bar81

Y'all making me rustle around in cupboards for my old XNEO-1 and take photos at three in the morning...

mSXIRs3.png

You are both technically correct. The best kind of correct.

The 3.5mm jack on the unit is an input that you can connect the headphone jack from the AES to and then have the XNEO-1 output stereo from it's L/R RCA jacks. If you just use the RCA jacks without connecting the 3.5mm jack to the AES, you get mono.

MD style - that's what I thought. Thanks for the pics.

Glad I was able to get some of the rarer AES carts back about 10 years back. After buying them I had no idea until recently that the value had increased so much.

It's funny because in 90's the system and games were so overpriced and seemed like a waste. Out of my entire game collection the Neo Geo is now worth the most.

Ban Puncher

Get a few nice +1's in today. Some even had the registration cards which is becoming increasingly rare.

The hunt still continues for a copy of KOF 2003 that isn't in dogshit condition and costs the moon.

Gyrian

Well, what did you get?
I do wonder why registration cards are so uncommon for the Neo, seems like everything back in those times would include them. Mostly late SNK titles pre-bankrupcy eventually started coming with these, and then it stopped again.

Ban Puncher

Well, what did you get?
I do wonder why registration cards are so uncommon for the Neo, seems like everything back in those times would include them. Mostly late SNK titles pre-bankrupcy eventually started coming with these, and then it stopped again.

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Spirits 4
World Heroes Perfect

I now have every Fatal Fury game on AES bar 1 and 2 but that's okay because they are a bit shit and I can live without them. Same with WH2 and Jet, WH1 and Perfect will do me just fine.

Would like a copy of Samurai Spirits Zero Special but that is baller money.

BearChair

It's late on Saturday, and I'm doing dangerous late night shopping.

What's the best option in terms of a consolized MVS these days? Where can I get one and how much should I except to pay?

Shinriji

Buying games you don't/won't play is pretty crazy in my book, but loads of people disagree.

I didn't explain properly. I won't play These games on the original hardware, but will play the games elsewhere. Actually, chances are that it will be the 4th or the 5th time buying a particular game.

It's more like "thanks for the amazing memories".

Top Bottom