• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Most people not noticing differences in MAME versus an Omega with a multicart is equivalent to stating they would be identical to those people.

I'm vehemently defending these "junk chinese multicarts" because in my experience, they haven't given me any of the shit they've been cited for in this thread. As stated, maybe I'm lucky, or maybe I got a different revision. Regardless, the 100 bucks versus the 399,99 € is something to take into consideration for a lot of people, and I think writing off the multicarts entirely is stupid. I own both authentic MVS carts, one bootleg, and the multicart, and I genuinely cannot notice any quality issues between them all, specifically considering graphics and audio. That, and I've still paid less than the roughly (at the time of this post) 430 USD sum for the flashcart. At the very least, for someone that may be in a very similar position as me, having access to a large number of games, I think it's worth the perspective that spending that money on an additional flashcart to access games I would like to play (at this time, I can only really think of Windjammers), isn't cost effective.

yeah that's my concern, i like drinking & game-hopping, especially with arcadey stuff!
I agree with this. Unless it's Magical Drop or something like that, I tend to hit 3-4 games in one session, since they are all arcade titles designed for quick play. In this regard, having a multicart is actually advantageous.

IrishNinja

dxnc1pK.jpg

also: witness my mighty neo geo collection, gents! i'm keeping them next to my issue of Spawn # 1, as all will surely pay for my children's colleges in the future

Gyrian

Some great conversation has sprung up from this, but there's no call to be defensive about either product. The bottom line is that we now have a new option with features that the scene has wanted for years, which is both exciting and fantastic. If you're on AES, it's even more meaningful, given the extra effort involved in playing a multi-cart on a home system (add the cost and hassle of a converter, or pay close to $1K for an AES conversion of the 161-in-1).

Shinriji

Just bought Windjammers and WH2Jet for the NGCD, both US versions.

Never played Jet, but I liked both WH2 and Perfect, so maybe I will play that a lot.

JM: So why's ”Shodown" spelled funny?
YA: This was suggested to us by SNK's U.S. distributor. They said that ”Spirits" [from the Japanese title Samurai Spirits]
doesn't really tell the consumer what the game is about, so they
suggested replacing it with the word ”Showdown." And the movie Shogun was popular at the time so they suggested the spelling of ”Shodown" as a reference to Shogun.

I'm fucking dying, lmao

The Making of Samurai Shodown

Nice get! Didn't know Street Hoop had an alternate title. Apparently there was a US version called Street Slam as well that has renamed locations, election screens, player skin colours and costumes. TIL!

How does it play? I've been tempted to pick up a copy myself as Soccer Brawl hasn't quite been scratching my sports arcade game itch.

grendelrt

Nice get! Didn't know Street Hoop had an alternate title. Apparently there was a US version called Street Slam as well that has renamed locations, election screens, player skin colours and costumes. TIL!

How does it play? I've been tempted to pick up a copy myself as Soccer Brawl hasn't quite been scratching my sports arcade game itch.
I love street hoop, it's a lot of fun. There are moves that are not apparent until you play for a bit, I like the super bar as well. You can get it pretty cheap as well, I think I paid 40 for mine on mvs.

Ban Puncher

I've been after a good copy (that didn't break the bank) of Dunk Dream for years so it feels good to finally have it. I'm always interested in games that aren't fighting or made by companies other than SNK.

Now that I own Galaxy Fight I guess I have to get Waku Waku 7 now OH WELL.

Missed out on a copy of Baseball Stars 2 though. Boo.

Noticed that Double Dragon (not Rage of the Dragons) has exploded in price.

Saw a copy of Ashita no Joe in terrible condition for over $1000 USD the other day. I'm still laughing.

Shinriji

Even the Neo CD version of English Double Dragon is becoming quite hard to find and expensive. English Gowcaizer is almost impossible and people want Breakers and MS2 price for it.

And why Ghost Pilot is so freaking expensive?

I've been after a good copy (that didn't break the bank) of Dunk Dream for years so it feels good to finally have it. I'm always interested in games that aren't fighting or made by companies other than SNK.

Now that I own Galaxy Fight I guess I have to get Waku Waku 7 now OH WELL.

Missed out on a copy of Baseball Stars 2 though. Boo.

Saw a copy of Ashita no Joe in terrible condition for over $1000 USD the other day. I'm still laughing.

Does Galaxy Fight on Saturn have the same weird art problems Waku Waku 7 has? I didn't even know Galaxy Fight came out on Neo Geo.

AmyS

Does anyone get mixed up with all those SFII clones like I do? And how a few of them were on Neo Geo MVS/AES hardware while many were not.

I'm not talking about the Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting series, or Rage of Dragon's or Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

I mean:

Fighter's History series (Data East)
*Fighter's History - Fighter's History Dynamite aka Karnov's Revenge

Power Instinct series (Atlus)
*Power Instinct, Power Instinct 2, Power Instinct Legends, Groove On Fight

Breakers, Breakers Revenge (Visco)

Martial Champion (Konami)

Kaiser Knuckle aka Global Champion (Taito)

I'm probably missing a ton of others.

Also reading this GAF thread: Soo many Street Fighter II Clones!

Shinriji

I cave in and bought a Top Loader with 2 controllers (one pad and one "bean") and 4 games for about $200. It was kinda expensive, but I payed more for the extra controller and games.

Maybe in the future,gonna buy a cheap CDZ without cables and stuff. Anyone knows if you can use the CD power supply on the CDZ?

Shinriji

I cave in and bought a Top Loader with 2 controllers (one pad and one "bean") and 4 games for about $200. It was kinda expensive, but I payed more for the extra controller and games.

Just my luck. The neo CD boots but it won't spin and read any disks. I opened and the lens mechanism looks fine. Booting without disk gives the correct "insert CD" message. Booting with a CD, the lens mechanism moves and the lens goes up and down as normal, but the disk won't spin. The TRACK menu changes briefly from 00 to 01, but it goes again to 00 and stays there. I saw some reports of that problem online, but without a clear solution. I have taken the top cover off and manually moved the laser away from the spindle, when I do that I can move the spindle around with my finger. When I move the laser back to the beginning its hard to move the spindle with my finger.

Any help?

EDIT: Fixed it myself. The spindle was too low, so I pull it out, as several internet people recommended. Worked like a champ afterwards.

AmyS

I can't find GamePro reviews of Real Bout Fatal Fury Special or Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers, assuming they did review those.

Weirdly not a fan of the black and gold schematic shirt but I really like that classic tech logo'd tee....

Also I have some pickups to show y'all. It's been awhile! Will post after work!

Weirdly not a fan of the black and gold schematic shirt but I really like that classic tech logo'd tee....

Also I have some pickups to show y'all. It's been awhile! Will post after work!

It's hard to tell in pics, but the gold part on that shirt is kinda metallic so it looks really cool in person IMO.

disclaimer: I signed that licensing deal so I'm biased. ;)

It's hard to tell in pics, but the gold part on that shirt is kinda metallic so it looks really cool in person IMO.

disclaimer: I signed that licensing deal so I'm biased. ;)

Any other deals in the pipeline? I would love to see some officially licensed classic game merch, lol. Games Glorious has a lot of cool stuff, but it's just a little too loud for me, and I'm not too sure about JP sizing, lol.

AmyS

King of Fighters '94 advert and coverage in Electronic Gaming Monthly and EGM2.

note: This isn't comprehensive - I did not include scans of all the moves for each character, it's too much work.

OOqfwQa.jpg

PMxLCm2.jpg

KNfQSrr.jpg

QP5PEin.jpg

Shinriji

What are some good and decently cheap non-fighting Neo Geo CD-games?

Almost all NGCD games can be found for $20 or less. I really like the sports games (Baseball stars 2 and Super Sidekicks 3), the beat em ups like Burning Fight and some shtmups like Last Resort and Aero Fighters.

If You want to spend some more, windjammers and Twinkle Star Spites are excellent as well.

Top Bottom