• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima left Konami/KojiPro on October 9th, non-compete ends in December

BadWolf

I do agree though that he'll take his senior staff from Kojipro and make his own studio and most likely do contract work.

He is good friends with Platinum Games so it would make sense for him to follow their model.

Though at the end of the day most of his fans are on Playstation.

Myggen

Yeah. Going back to the primary source is only good practice. It's also a great article, with some interesting perspectives on this from Japanese developers.

Yeah, the Gamespot article is just a rewrite of the New Yorker one without the interesting parts surrounding the news.

Selfishly, I want him to keep his promise that he will continue to make games until he dies. Well, not literally of course, but you know. He's my favorite game designer of all time, bar none.

jett

D-Member
That's a fairly short non-compete clause.

Unlike the the contemptible pieces of shit at Ubisoft that made Desilets lose a year of his life. Twice.

Is Shinkawa still at Konami? Same with the technical staff?

We don't know, but most of the studio has been laid off and all the leads will probably end on some other place or as freelancers, unless they want to spend the rest of their careers making mobile games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The New Yorker said:
Tak Fujii, a former senior producer at Konami, who left the company in 2014 because of ill health, sees no issue with this kind of radical reorganization. “I saw many colleagues unwillingly reassigned,” he said. “Most of them blamed everyone but themselves. But they were not willing to adapt. They were waiting for the golden days to return. All they had left were legendary stories of their products, which are no longer relevant for either the technology or the market.”
Tak Fujii really went all-in in The New Yorker piece.

Boke1879

He is good friends with Platinum Games so it would make sense for him to follow their model.

Though at the end of the day most of his fans are on Playstation.

Yea I can see him doing contract work with Sony. He's been spotted with Cerny and I'm sure he has a great relationship with the guys over at Playstation.

Kojima to CDPR. I'd love to see him collaborate gameplay mechanics with CDPR's choice consequences characterization/storytelling on Cyberpunk 2077

King_Moc

Banned
Good on him. Best result for everyone is that he ends up with a semi-tight leash on him at a large publisher, making multi-platform games.

Arttemis

This FucKonami stuff is childish. Please let's grow up a touch - pretending that the big bad evil Publisher is abusing the angelic visionary is stupid.

It's not a bad thing. Assuming that Konami continue Metal Gear in the AAA space, it's probably good that someone else gets some fresh eyes and new blood on the series.

Edit: oh my days my phone went on a mad one with my grammar.

It's almost childish to think Konami has any interest in AAA space. They ditched Silent Hills. They pull the plug on development of MGS5 and drop the creator/VP. There are multiple reports of the company abandoning console games in favor of mobile development and slot machines.

For those who have grown up with Konami IPs, there's plenty of justification for uproar and disgust.

Your move Kamiya.
nomura_kojima_tgs_2013.jpg

Your move Nomura.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
And the bidding for Kojima's services to produce 66% of a fully-realized game starts at $80 million. Any takers?

He's gonna end up with some Korean online company and make a spy MMO. Or kickstart a MGS spiritual successor, get 100 million and fail to deliver the game because he never learned how to work with a budget.

Garlador

Screen-Shot-2015-10-01-at-6.30.43-PM-970x545.png

BELIEVE!!!

Finally!

Er, this off-topic, but this picture FINALLY made me realize why I felt Cerny looked so familiar.

I kept seeing Dana Carvey.

... Anyway, on-topic. The whole industry must be watching Kojima like a hawk right now. The man's a gaming legend. I imagine he's got no shortage of job offers.

Ridley327

If Shinkawa will stay at the Konami it will be such waste of talent, He's easily one of the best artists in the industry.

Gotta have someone around to make the art for the pachislot cabinets.

Oh god, I can actually see Konami doing that to him.

Battlechili

Banned
On the bright side, this means that its entirely possible Kojima will be able to join Square Enix where he will work with Tetsuya Nomura and create a dream team for the most mindscrew video game ever devised.

akira28

Well as long as they gave him an honourable exit....

this can just be a business disagreement instead of a centuries long blood feud.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I could have sworn this was the case already. Huh. I was all "what month is this?". Guess it wasn't official yet.

Oh god the closing quote
Hahaha it's pretty funny but looking over at what that developer is doing, um, maybe he shouldn't talk... xD

Whoever gets him should probably try to rein him in as a producer and designer, but get a writer and an editor on the side. And a project manager.
Yes, very much this.

Sony, hire this man, hire his team, and give him unlimited monies. thanks.
And very much not this.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm eager to see what he can do now that he's unchained from the massive albatross of Metal Gear and Konami's insistence that he do nothing else. Some smaller or more intimately designed projects that follow Policenauts, Snatcher or even Boktai would be a nice change of pace for him and his fans.

Top Bottom