• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima left Konami/KojiPro on October 9th, non-compete ends in December

I'd like to see him move into to a creative environment that isn't shackled to a company whose agenda is to sabotage development with the sole purpose of releasing a game structured to be a colossal microtransaction-riddled tower of shit.

I was going to make some dumb joke about ms/sony/ninty fanboys starting to become super nervous to see if Kojima would join their side...

But then I realize that I'm chomping my nails in fear that Kojima might just leave the game industry to make movies =X

Good luck Kojima, wherever you decide to go.

He's now gonna go to Platinum and fuse with Kamiya to create Koyima, the ultimate god. Your move, world.

koyimacnulh.png

TpntOno.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, their current line up is actually extremely impressive.
Strong western Developers and titles, and Japanese, and great variety

Like the opposite of SEGA

I feel the only part of Sega that could really be considered failed at this point is... well... old Sega.

Sega West is doing really well for itself as a digital and PC focused publisher releasing things like Total War, Football Manager, and Sonic Dash, on top of upcoming releases like Dawn of War 3.

Atlus, relative to their set expectations, is earning great critical success and generally solid (and growing) financial success.

Sega Networks, their mobile arm, is very successful and has a rapidly growing catalog of successes to boot.

That said obviously they're an insanely poor choice to fund high end AAA console development.

DevilFox

Not sure if I'm interested in whatever he'll do, wherever he'll do it. I mean, I'm curious but not really excited at the moment.. glad if he proves me wrong, of course.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to see where he ends up. I hope he makes the games he wants to make.

With what money?

I thought people had gotten over this lame excuse. Gaming is one of Sony's main pillars and SCE seems to have independence on what they do from the rest of Sony, so if they want Kojima and he accepts, they'll have him.

King_Moc

Banned
Playstation Experience is December 5th & 6th this year. Regardless of where he goes, I bet Sony would love to get the announcement. Much like they did with FF7.

Edit: Beaten by a post, lol

Shu, I'm looking at you! You know what to do. Kojima and Del Toro. You know what they want to do, right? Well, make it happen (please)!

packy34

Sony really is the best fit for him, regardless of how people may feel about it. There's not a single third party publisher I can think of that will:

1. Give him the amount of creative freedom he wants

2. Give him the budget needed to make his visions a reality

3. Give him time to actually finish games. We already know they'll let things simmer if they need to - The Last Guardian proves that

All that, plus their history makes this move the most likely and best for all involved. Will be legit surprised if he ends up anywhere else. He could remain independent, but knowing about his creative process and how much money he needs to make his games makes that far less likely.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, when your only major claim to fame is going batshit insane during a presentation for a Musou clone, I guess you need all the opportunities you can get to grab a piece of the spotlight.

To be fair I don't think he's actually wrong though.

Like, I love Igavanias, but I don't blame Konami for first removing IGA from 3D console titles that obviously weren't working, and as sales declined to unnotable levels, removing him off of 2D ones as well.

It's a business model that made sense for an indie studio as opposed to a full sized publisher, especially one primarily heading toward mobile.

Vamphuntr

well,he always said he wanted to do something that was not MGS..now let's see what he can do

everyone's bet is on sony snatching him..but i think more about activision or ubisoft waiting to strike the deal.

you wanna put the guy who was fired because unable to stay on budget on kickstarter?
soeone really just want to watch the world burn

I don't think Activision or Ubisoft have studios in Japan and his command of the English language is probably preventing this from happening.

At Konami he used to make highly polished AAA games that took a lot of time and resources to make and outside of SE I don't see many other Japanese publishers following that trend (maybe if we count the Last Guardian).

JayEH

Damn. It officially ends. Well Konami lost their last ace in the hole. Luckily Kojima doesn't have a long non compete so he's able to get started on his next project soon. Hope he's able to bring in some of the Koji pro guys.

Klossen

Banned
Well, Hajime Tabata doesn't come off as all that optimistic in the New Yorker piece:

I don't think Tabata needs to be worried. If anything, SQEX is investing more and more into console games. MGSV was the only real AAA game Konami was still investing in. Whereas SQEX is juggling multiple AAA studios both in Japan and the West. Seems like SQEX attitude towards consoles is different than Konami's. But hey, if Tabata himself is worried, maybe. I sure as hell didn't predict Konami cracking down so hard on KojiPro.

Rembrandt

Banned
Sony really is the best fit for him, regardless of how people may feel about it. There's not a single third party publisher I can think of that will:

3. Give him time to actually finish games. We already know they'll let things simmer if they need to - The Last Guardian proves that

All that, plus their history makes this move the most likely and best for all involved. Will be legit surprised if he ends up anywhere else. He could remain independent, but knowing about his creative process and how much money he needs to make his games makes that far less likely.

Take-Two.

Square Enix is a good place for Kojima and his fans.

you wanna put the guy who was fired because unable to stay on budget on kickstarter?
soeone really just want to watch the world burn

Sure, why not? I bet Kojima could rake in a good 8-10 million on a KS campaign. His "fuck you, Konami" sob story is perfect fodder for that. If he goes overboard, he can find some third party publisher to front the rest of the costs.

Im afraid he's just going to make a small indie studio or take a break from making games for a while. Cant blame him after this entire debacle.

bomma_man

What publisher is going to be willing to fund an auteur driven $80 mil plus project in this day and age? Konkani deserves plenty of shit, but not many other publishers would be willing to give him the kind of leeway they did.

Please do not let this man anywhere near Hollywood though.

I wouldn't even mind if Kojima left the game industry and made flims instead. A movie directed by Kojima would be very, very interesting.

I feel the only part of Sega that could really be considered failed at this point is... well... old Sega.

Sega West is doing really well for itself as a digital and PC focused publisher releasing things like Total War, Football Manager, and Sonic Dash, on top of upcoming releases like Dawn of War 3.

Atlus, relative to their set expectations, is earning great critical success and generally solid (and growing) financial success.

Sega Networks, their mobile arm, is very successful and has a rapidly growing catalog of successes to boot.

That said obviously they're an insanely poor choice to fund high end AAA console development.

Exactly yeah, this is what I ment; there's no balance with Sega. The Sega of old (the one I love) is happy to pump out sub par sonic games and Japanese exclusives (and not that many of them either) and the slack is taken by the purchased westerns devs etc.

Square Enix, a company I've no particularly fond feelings for, have ended up with a broad balanced progressive slate. A finger in every pie and three eyes on every fish.

IMO they're the only major Japanese house who have faced up to the reality of 2015 correctly.

Bedlam

End of an era. Thanks for the experiences, Kojima! Can't wait to see what you'll do next.

Also, Konami is over now. Good riddance!

Top Bottom