• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima left Konami/KojiPro on October 9th, non-compete ends in December

yurinka

End of an era. Let's hope Sony hires him and most of his team, they are the only ones who would give him the creative freedom, money, time and patience that he needs. And help in any additional areas that may needed.

Your move, Naughty Dog...

Kojima-London-2014-BAFTA-Awards-Troy-Baker.jpg

HardRojo

Can't wait to see what he does next. I don't know if Nintendo would be a good fit, but I want to see what NX actually is before having a definitive opinion on that.

packy34

Square Enix is a good place for Kojima and his fans.

SE is moving to mobile and is rooted in Japanese business practices. Kojima has repeatedly stated his love for Western studios... While Sony isn't Western, they aren't moving to mobile and aren't stuck in the past like the archaic SE. Don't see him going there as a win for anyone.

Ridley327

To be fair I don't think he's actually wrong though.

Like, I love Igavanias, but I don't blame Konami for first removing IGA from 3D console titles that obviously weren't working, and as sales declined to unnotable levels, removing him off of 2D ones as well.

It's a business model that made sense for an indie studio as opposed to a full sized publisher, especially one primarily heading toward mobile.

While it's more hindsight related than it would have been at the time, removing IGA from the equation sure didn't pay off for them in the long run!

I do think Square Enix is generally a better choice.

They're willing to run up comically large budgets (which seems like a much larger concern at Sony), will interface well with Japanese developers that want a fair amount of autonomy, actually develop several AAA titles in Japan, and like to have a longstanding presence in as many genres as possible.

Their strong Western branch and overseas success of Japanese titles also makes them very comfortable launching more globally minded products or having split divisions across multiple countries like KojiPro had.

Plus, he might get to work in a Deus Ex game after Mankind Divided. Win-win!

Savitar

Considering how many times he said he wanted to do something else besides Metal Gear it was probably for the best even if it was a shitty way to go out on. But now he has a chance to do what he wants should he partner up with the right people. Balls in his court now.

BadWolf

What publisher is going to be willing to fund an auteur driven $80 mil plus project in this day and age? Konkani deserves plenty of shit, but not many other publishers would be willing to give him the kind of leeway they did.

Right because his next game absolutely has to be a large scale open world game that will be using a brand new engine. There is no other possibility.

bathsalts

Im not seeing some of the scenarios brought up by people here. He's going to be given a blank check for 100 mill? on a new ip? given a brand new team? Put in charge of an existing team instead of promoting from within? I dont see any of this. Collaboration type project or consulting role at somewhere like Square makes most sense.

SE is moving to mobile and is rooted in Japanese business practices. Kojima has repeatedly stated his love for Western studios... While Sony isn't Western, they aren't moving to mobile and aren't stuck in the past like the archaic SE. Don't see him going there as a win for anyone.

Is this post from 2013?

Can't wait to see what he does next. I don't know if Nintendo would be a good fit, but I want to see what NX actually is before having a definitive opinion on that.

Outsider who has had issues with feeling like corporate is shackling his creative freedom, goes to work at Nintendo.

I think if he stays in AAA console gaming, he will end up starting up an new independent studio with the some venture capitalist investment and sign a publishing deal with Bethesda or 2K or something.

Koobion

Personally I'd like to see him teamed up with Sony if he does join a large company and doesn't start his own.

It seems like the best fit, as they'd probably give him more creative freedom than most other companies.

Shadoken

1986 , Thats like nearly 30 years at Konami. End of an ERA indeed.

Will be interesting to see where he goes next. I dont think its Sony , even though it seems very obvious. Would they really let him have his dream budget? Their high budget titles are mostly on well established franchises. So unless he is at the helm of one of those , I dont see him getting an MGS V budget for a new IP.

End of an era.

Hope wherever he ends up treats him with the respect he deserves. Loosing him from the industry would be a tragedy.

Also, Fuck Konami.

bomma_man

An auteur is a really really bad fit for Nintendo. He'd be clashing with SPD/Miyamoto etc constantly.

Majukun

See you at Platinum Games.

that would be awesome..problem is they are basically kojima's opposite...they don't sell much but they keep getting hired because they work cheap and fast while getting still very good results..kojima has always worked with lots of money and lots of time

it would put platinum games on the map for many people though..if they really want,one day,make their own game without a publisher,kojima might gave them a chance with all the advertising he can get

NateDrake

I think he'll form an indie studio. But he'll take a long vacation before we hear anything about his upcoming plans. Maybe we'll hear about his next venture a yr from now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While it's more hindsight related than it would have been at the time, removing IGA from the equation sure didn't pay off for them in the long run!

Sure, but the first new game was a notable resurgence for the series, and after that point Konami was pretty quickly done with investing in consoles in general, at which point making Castlevania still made no sense.

I don't fault making business moves that they feel will benefit the company long run.

In the end, we're having IGA with a bigger budget than he's ever had for a game like this, and Konami is the mobile focused company they want to be. I don't really see a loss for any party here except people notably attached to the Castlevania name.

Axbarn

Banned
End of an era. I know Kojima always seems to have his cool, but I'd still imagine feeling really lost if my space of work for 30 years had just been removed from under my feet.

I hope he'll pull through and come out strong on the other end. This is definitely an event that will be remembered for quite some time.

The Flash

Banned
Next item is one Hideo Kojima. Let's the bidding at $1 million. Do I see $1 million? Yes, I see 1 million. Do we have $2 million?

Ridley327

that would be awesome..problem is they are basically kojima's opposite...they don't sell much but they keep getting hired because they work cheap and fast while getting still very good results..kojima has always worked with lots of money and lots of time

it would put platinum games on the map for many people though..if they really want,one day,make their own game without a publisher,kojima might gave them a chance with all the advertising he can get

It's worth mentioning that minus their first three games, the rest of Platinum's output has come out between Peace Walker and MGS5. That's a work ethic that few can match.

packy34

I think he'll form an indie studio. But he'll take a long vacation before we hear anything about his upcoming plans. Maybe we'll hear about his next venture a yr from now.

Indie studio is less likely since Kojima's visions generally require large budgets and dev teams. It's possible, but I think joining an established studio is far more likely.

ElCidTmax

It's a shame it had to come to this.

I hope Kojima still feels the inspiration to create something new an great. Part of what makes Metal Gear special is the long crazy story. A creator can certainly keep telling new stories, so I hope Kojima is ready to get to work come December.

I only ask the following. Please no Kickstarter or Fig for the grand reveal.

Molemitts

Why doesn't he just start up his own studio and jump between publishers? Seeing him get stuck with a single console dev would be really unfair on people who don't own those consoles. Even as someone who's used Playstation as my primary platform since, like, forever, I don't think he should just be bought up by Sony and forget about every other platform.

Kojima at From Software. A collaborative project between Miyazaki and Kojima.

As much as I like them both, they seem like polar opposites, especially when it comes to story telling. Miyazaki is all about subtle story telling, while Kojima... is Kojima.

Nah. Have him join forces with Nintendo. The world needs a Hideo Kojima/Masahiro Sakurai joint.

I love Nintendo, but I think Square Enix is the best place for him for two reasons: good budget/resources and no exclusivity. I think that many many of Nintendo fans never played a single Kojima game other than Twin Snakes (which is a remake not done by Kojima), that's why I don't want him to go with Nintendo. .

Top Bottom