• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honestly, what does Microsoft need to do with Scorpio to solidify your purchase?

Legit q to people saying "Don't need it, games are on PC" - are you buying those titles on pc or is it just a case of "I know I could if I really wanted to"? Interested in the psychology of it.

The latter. Nothing MS has out now interests me, but if they were to bring Fable back for a real game, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I was interested in Scalebound, but obviously that's dead. There's a few others I might go for if they come out well (Crackdown, that pirate game).

Rozart

"More power" doesn't cut it for me this late into the generation. I think early on when both of the consoles had a pretty sparse library, having the more powerful console on the market (that was able to run all those shared multi-platform games better) was something that really mattered. Now though, with the landscape of exclusives as heavily lopsided as it now is, the prospect of buying a more powerful console that has just a fraction of the diverse library that its immediate competitor has to offer doesn't seem all that appealing to me.

Right now (if you're talking about future console purchases), saving up for a Switch is honestly my current priority. I'm still reserving most of my judgement until E3 comes around but the excitement around the xbox brand in general has been kinda anaemic imo. BoTW/Switch and the current onslaught of PS4 exclusives seemed to have taken the wind out of MS's sails.

Jameson

Definitive version for console exclusives games(I mean not on PC) might be good enough for me.

List of some examples
RDR 2
GTA 6
Other Rockstars games
Kingdom Hearts 3
Injustice 2
etc.

I'll be getting Scorpio for sure because I like to say that I have the latest and greatest and have it also be true 😋.

In all seriousness what I want from MS and the team at Xbox with Scorpio is for them to double down on games and show to us, the fans, that from a 1st party effort, Scorpio will deliver. Xbox One was my first ever Xbox and it's been great. I've been able to play and enjoy games from both X360 that I didn't get to play last gen and also experience XB1 exclusives like ReCore, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive amongst others.

Give me games Phil. That's all I'm asking for, give me exclusive games that I can only play on Xbox/PC.

Jimrpg

At this point, for me, nothing. I don't want to pay another subscription and I have more games than time as is.

This is pretty much me.

Next in line for me is a Switch, then a Vive, maybe an Apple Watch if we're talking techy stuff, but I really should finish all the games I have for my PS4, PS3, Vita, PC, Wii U, 3DS first. At some point, its all just a bit too much.

The only way is if Xbox gets games like Nioh 2, Persona 6, Nier 3, Yakuza 7 on their system and that's probably not happening for a while!

Nothing this generation honestly. Not unless they just bring amazing first party titles but I'll play multiplats on PS4 because all my friends are already on PS4.

Madness

Perfect ease of access for current XB1 owners. Maybe have PS4 Pro style patches for some games that are 720p and 30fps and struggling to at least be 1080p/60fps.

I also would want more exclusives. Not go the moneyhat route of taking away from PS4 owners, but actually working with developers. Buy Ryse IP from Crytek. Let's get a Ryse starring Caesar and his Conquest. Another Sunset Overdrive with full Windows 10 release working with Insomniac. A new Kameo that plays like a mix Tomb Raider meet Horizon Zero Dawn. A new Banjo that challenges Mario and also is the pinnacle of new platforming etc. Halo 3 Anniversary, completing the trilogy anniversary and bringing the H3 campaign to 4K/60fps etc.

RPGam3r

it's pretty simple. someone buying a game on the windows store is just as beneficial to Microsoft as someone buying an Xbox One game. They don't make much on hardware. It's all about getting someone into their ecosystem

That's the thing, you're not in their ecosystem on the PC. You're most likely on vacation from Valve's ecosystem. I don't think someone opting out of their Xbox ecosystem in favor of being on the PC is equivalent.

Gamezone

Gold Member
To be honest I wish they could skip the launch Xbox One and just move on. The launch console will always be holding the Scorpio back.

XINTSUAI

Neo Member
To be honest, I already have a lot of games on the PSN, Playstation is getting a lot of amazing games, and its graphics/performance is very satisfying for me, I really don't intend to buy a new console anytime soon.

Move to another gaming service as LIVE it's like to start all over again my gaming collection, I do prefer to maintain all centralized in one service.

Malcolm9

For me to invest in a Scorpio I want MS to really invest in more diverse 1st party titles, as what they currently offer doesn't appeal to me enough to want to buy one.

I'd love them to bring out a new Fable, PGR, Conker, Perfect Dark etc to really get me excited about their games again.

Papacheeks

Banned
To be honest I wish they could skip the launch Xbox One and just move on. The launch console will always be holding the Scorpio back.

Just concentrate on games, and they should have been during this whole generation. We should have seen concept art for a bunch of games from new studios by now on GAF.

We've heard, and seen nothing. You would think they would have been building up a stable of studios. Or at least have small teams that worked with other studios as support so when they close a studio they could open another one with fresh people who already have their feet wet.
So far the xbox brand in general has been so mismanaged that unless they have been able to re-adjust and ask for a budget that accommodates new studio and IP creation I don't see their library changing.

Thing is you can recover from a shit launch, but you have to always be investing in what matters which is games. That's something that only Microsoft has done in just buying deals that happen to come to them. They don't actively keep thing's open for prospective deals down the line. Like a Sunset Overdrive sequel which I believe would have sold better now because of the changes they have made to the platform and perception. Sunset's 2014 release still had stink on it, and they did shit to properly promote that game, they were too busy making sure titanfall ad's were in movie theaters.
Xbox needs a reboot division wise, no console is going to turn this around.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I seriously don't know what they could do -- let's start with games though --

I want my hair to be blown back when I play on Scorpio on my 4K TV. Games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon raised the bar so damn high in terms of visuals I realize this will be a difficult feat, especially considering that in my view Microsoft has nowhere near the first-party talent pool that Sony does right now, in terms of focusing exclusively on their machine to bring the most out of games. Microsoft need to meticulously examine their development culture -- why are they not producing the quality and quantity of games that they should be? Do they invest in deep talent pools and make the sacrifices necessary sacrifices in order to keep that talent for the long term? And if not, egos need to be checked and management shuffled around. Imagine if Microsoft still had Bioware console exclusivity, or Destiny as a Xbox exclusive franchise. These are things that would have been possible if the leadership team had the vision and foresight. But they didn't and now Microsoft has payed dearly.

Then, the hardware and OS need to be top tier. I want a better CPU that will enable a larger variety of games to be played in 60FPS (I realize this is unrealistic, but too bad :p). Love the controller, love the achievements, so keep those. And anything under $500 would be fine if all the rest falls into place.

I realize these are things that take time, but they'd really help Microsoft get back on their feet.

I'll just play the two or three MS games on my PC. No incentive to buy one ultimately. The only thing that could change my mind are a couple MUST PLAY games that are only available on the system, and I just don't see that happening with the whole play anywhere feature being touted.

Fredrik

Definitive multiplat console versions without jet engine noise and a UHD player.

Play anywhere is kind of huge too from a PC gamer perspective, I'm very close to go 100% digital for everything on Xbox since those purchases could be played on PC too whenever I jump in on Win 10. If they could get Play Anywhere standard for third party games too I'd be jumping in head first. It doesn't matter if it's a multiplat or exclusive, you'll always end up with the definitive edition through Microsoft. Slam dunk.

EvB

Having Sony's games lineup
Being a handheld
Being really cheap
Being the most powerful machine ever made
Having no games subscription
Not being cross play with PC

I had no intention of buying one, but just to make sure my bat is high enough I've covered all bases

The Argus

Definitive version for console exclusives games(I mean not on PC) might be good enough for me.

List of some examples
RDR 2
GTA 6
Other Rockstars games
Kingdom Hearts 3
Injustice 2
etc.

This. Unless there is some marketing fuckery going on Scorpio should have the best version of third party games until their PC release. Really looking forward to RDR2 at its best on Scorpio.

-hadouken

As someone who's not bothered with 4K - as unlikely as it is, all I want is a native 1080P (or higher) for prior X1 games. PS4 and X1 came to market too weak, tho I'm happy enough with what the PS4 Pro is currently delivering. It's those 2013-2016 games that matter to me.

Well right now Scorpio has no release date, no price point, no software, no final specs, and no retail deals, and while Microsoft has a handful of announced titles like Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, and State of Decay 2 (and a few downloadables like Phantom Dust), it's unclear whether any of them will be Scorpio-enhanced, what those enhancements will be, when they will be released, etc.

Do you really think the Scorpio experience of first party games might be identical to the xbo vanilla version ? Or do you mean "enhanced beyond resolution changes"?

Fredrik

All available on PC. How are these games an argument for getting the scorpio again?
Play Anywhere - I know that I'll eventually end up with the best version no matter how and when I upgrade, I only have 1080p screens for my PC so it's nice to know that I can go 4K on Scorpio and the games will be there waiting for me whenever I can afford to upgrade to a 4K setup on PC too. It's all good really.

You shouldn't take companies so personally, they don't give a shit about you past your money. Games you want to play on a console carries so much weight because that's what you do with your game console. "Third parties got you covered" don't mean jack shit. They got me covered on PS4 too, where I CAN get my Japanese exclusive games. So if MS wants me to throw money at a console they either get games I want to play and cant currently play on PS4 or they don't and I save my money. Pretty fucking simple.

Im not taking anything personally. But the current agenda here on gaf is pretty annoying.

This constant screaming that ms needs exclusives. They have them. MS cant snip with a finger and voila there is game X that person Y wanted.
I sure agree that a NEW Ip would be something. And they have something like this coming with Sea of Thieves. Its a completly new IP. Its a MP Game. Agree not a lot of people like that type of game. But its what it is.

I dont know in this day and age its probably hard for Devs and Publishers to come up with a successful new IP. I can understand that companys dont wanna risk it. Its shitty for the gamers and industry.

But IMO people should already look closer to the Competition like Sony. They are not risking that much new IPs at all.... And if they have a new one its way too early announced and people use that just for the console wars crap.

Im more of a Coop and PvP gamer and im happy with the lineup Microsoft is delivering this year.
If i want another singleplayer game i will play once, i will pickup one of these 3rd party games.

I doubt that Microsoft will announce some big new IP that is years away. All the recent Phil Spencer interviews sound like that he doesnt wanna repeat the Scalebound situation.
Im ok with that.

MTC100

Banned
[/b]
It's a very good thing you're not them.

That's basically the worst thing they could do, launching this fall they can still be the most powerful platform for at least 2 years maybe 3. Delay it a year and the PS5 starts looming which would undoubtedly crush Scorpio power wise and then MS is playing even worse catch up than they already are.

They are fighting on lost ground, it doesn't matter if the Scorpio is a little bit more powerful than the PS4Pro -and it will not be a huge difference. The XBO didn't lose to the PS4 because it was the technically weaker system but because it was more expensive(thanks to that stupid Kinect bundled in) and had no real appeal to the masses as it didn't offer anything the PS4 didn't for €/$ 100,- less, Kinect was nothing anyone ever wanted.

If it weren't for the US the whole brand would have collapsed already, I don't see the scorpio changing anything with the current situation, I don't think it will bring in many new customers but more likely make existing Xbox One owners buy the system -but then again, most of them didn't care much for better graphics in the first place, or they would have bought a PS4 instead, seeing 90% of the library is the same anyway and the PS4 having an edge in terms of exclusive content.

FingerBang

Honestly nothing.

Their exclusive games are not that good anymore and all the games are on PC. After the cancellation of Scalebound Xbox is dead to me (because I have a PS4, otherwise it would still be a good console).

I don't get the hype for Scorpio, more power means nothing if there are no games to support it.
Also, I don't like companies that announce something that doesn't even exist yet just to steal momentum from their rivals.

WadeitOut

Put it up for sale and Ill buy it now with zero info on it.

I have zero interest in these Japanese games coming out lately. Give me my dudebro games I require. Madden 4k please.

sector4

Some new IPs that I'm interested in. Not holding out hope for JRPGs, but something fresh would be nice. The only things I see on the horizon at the moment are State of Decay 2, Crackdown (still haven't seen gameplay though) and Sea of Thieves.

Fredrik

Honestly, 4K alone makes the "also on PC problem" go away for me. I for one want 144hz screens for PC or I'm just not going to bother, 60hz would be a huge downgrade for PC, and 4K screens at 144hz is really not an option for some time. So I'll gladly go with Scorpio to experience 4K until I can afford 4K on PC too, it's a small investment really. Play Anywhere makes me not have to double dip on the games purchases later on too. Then we have the assumed UHD drive too.
Scorpio might quite honestly be the perfect 4K upgrade path for me.

T-0800

I'm happy with Nintendo and Sony so unless MS buy Nintendo I will never buy another MS console again. Their exclusive games don't interest me to the point that I would buy one of their consoles.

I'm happy with Nintendo and Sony so unless MS buy Nintendo I will never buy another MS console again. Their exclusive games don't interest me to the point that I would buy one of their consoles.

Oh God, that would really suck. Nintendo would falter just like Rare did under Microsoft's oversight.

They'd move over to solely doing AR demos and Mario appearances in random incedental things like Project Spark. Pretty much every other IP would go up in smoke

Drayco21

They need to prove their first party exclusives outside the Halo-Gears-Forza cycle actually matter, and they need to give me an option to get the Scorpio for a stupid low price by trading in my actual Xbone. Since neither will happen, I don't see myself owning a Scorpio anytime soon.

Top Bottom