• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it me or that I don't find the game interesting at all? I find myself rushing through just to beat it. Sure, the graphics look good and all, but I am not having fun...Games like the witcher 3 got me immersed and I actually loved playing it, enjoyed taking everything in, but this game does not do that for me. I am trying to like this game.

That's a bummer that you didn't like it, but not all games are for everyone. Myself personally I couldn't get into metal gear solid 5 even though everyone tells me I'm wrong lol.

Aye, the Lodge Warbow is godly for the freeze arrows with coils. Triple notched arrows that I can fire farther and faster than the sling and more ammo to boot.

I always forgot to use dual and triple arrow, one of the latest skills I learned. :/

Would have been useful here:

source.gif

So i'm not the only one who crouched and used my focus the whole time while walking through the ruins right?

Why would you do that? Scared of the wilds?

Only part of the map that creeps me out is that deeper forest map that has stalkers. I fuckin hate the stalkers.

The rockbreakers are seriously the worst designed monsters I've fought in a long time.

Anyway, beat the two corrupted bastards on very hard without cheat armor.

G1dMD2D.gif

When
Sylen
quotes the Happy Birthday Isaac line lol

They are really OP and annoying. It took me a lot of deaths and tripwire to beat that corrupted land at level 48, v hard, stealth armor.

I used the boulder cheese and beat those corrupted bastards.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Aim and press R1

specifically aim and press R1 for 2 arrows, press R1 again for 3 arrows (if you have both skills). The thing is, you can do this "out of combat", youll notice that the arrow indicator on the bottom of the screen will go from 1/18 or whatever or 2/18 or 3/18. You can walk around with 3 arrows ready for your next shot.

Kin5290

specifically aim and press R1 for 2 arrows, press R1 again for 3 arrows (if you have both skills). The thing is, you can do this "out of combat", youll notice that the arrow indicator on the bottom of the screen will go from 1/18 or whatever or 2/18 or 3/18. You can walk around with 3 arrows ready for your next shot.
You can also switch to other weapons on your weapon wheel and pre-nock arrows for them. So you can walk around with 3 hardpoint on your Hunter and 3 frost on your Warbow.

kendrid

Banned

Thanks for that tip!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thanks for that tip!

its when it went from "I dunno about this" to "oh ok this is actually awesome"

im trying to train my brain to always be loading arrows now, all the time.

You can also switch to other weapons on your weapon wheel and pre-nock arrows for them. So you can walk around with 3 hardpoint on your Hunter and 3 frost on your Warbow.

even better!

Also, I dunno about you guys, but I use all the devices as much if not more so (actually thats not true, but as much!) as the bows. I use the trap gun all the time (people shat on the skill to pick up traps but its great for me), im using bombs more now too and even the rope, the rope is great!

I usually dont really use a variety of weapons avaialble on games but this one I find myself really into it all the gadgets.

That's a bummer that you didn't like it, but not all games are for everyone. Myself personally I couldn't get into metal gear solid 5 even though everyone tells me I'm wrong lol.

You're not wrong though. ;P

Horizon Zero Dawn does a lot of what MGSV does, does it better, and looks a million times better while doing it, and also has a compelling story with a main character who actually, you know, speaks and thinks for herself. Oh and the story has an ending.

When you don't use the disc launcher the Thunderjaws battles are pretty amazing. (I don't know how easy to kill is with the disc launcher, I actually never used it but people says it's op).
Yeah I beat it, but well...it took a bit. Didn't help on my part that I forgot to scan for all the weak points. I kind of expected the 20 fucking trip wires I threw on the ground to do the job...I was wrong.
I was expecting the Sawtooth to walk through the same door as the other one and just get fucking nuked, didn't notice him on the other side till the last minute. These things aren't exactly stupid, which is great...still got fucked up by the wires on the ground.

This fucking game man. This fucking game. Horizon has no business being this good. Zero. Like its got a Naughty Dog level of polish to it. Honestly, I thought Colin was being hyperbolic when he said this was his second favorite Playstation game behind only TLOU, but I'm starting to see why. I can't think of the last game I played where the environments were this diverse. The design of this game is straight up jawdropping. No wonder this game was in the oven for 7 years. Man Guerrilla is someone to watch, they've got some fine developers over there in Amsterdam. And this game only costs $60? Surprised it didn't review a few points higher.

What would y'all recommend mod wise for the Shadow Rattler? I didn't know whether to go to town with purple damage mods, or purple ice/shock mods. I know I can change and specialize as needed, but I was curious what other people defaulted to.

I cheered out loud when I finally got another fox skin for the Shadow Rattler. I can't remember what I wasted the other ones on, d'oh.

Horizon Zero Dawn does a lot of what MGSV does, does it better, and looks a million times better while doing it, and also has a compelling story with a main character who actually, you know, speaks and thinks for herself. Oh and the story has an ending.

I like this post a lot.

What would y'all recommend mod wise for the Shadow Rattler? I didn't know whether to go to town with purple damage mods, or purple ice/shock mods. I know I can change and specialize as needed, but I was curious what other people defaulted to.

I cheered out loud when I finally got another fox skin for the Shadow Rattler. I can't remember what I wasted the other ones on, d'oh.

I'd probably go for damage and handling mods and use it as my go to for killing humans. I think for elemental stuff, there are better alternative weapons available to use.

And has things to do while you travel to your objectives. :p

I'd probably go for damage and handling mods and use it as my go to for killing humans. I think for elemental stuff, there are better alternative weapons available to use.

That's a good point, bow or bombs would be more efficient for elemental application. The Rattler does seem to chew through resources quickly, too. Damage/handling sounds sensible, will do!

Anung

Un Rama
Just got all the blazing sun medals from the Hunters lodge. Most of them were really fun. I hated the Glinthawk run though.

Just the collectibles to go then I'll have the Platinum.

Rhaknar

You need to sneak up on a machine or tie them down/stun them then override them. You only need to do it on 7 of the 26 machines. I picked all the easy ones.

WHAT?

You can override them if they are tied down? I thought you couldnt do it if they were aleted to your presence?

Thats a gamechanger if true.

Zackat

WHAT?

You can override them if they are tied down? I thought you couldnt do it if they were aleted to your presence?

also if you knock them down with your heavy melee attacks

edit: at least with the bigger guys, I dunno if you can do it with smaller ones. I definitely did it with ravagers and stalkers

WHAT?

Yeah the only thing is if other enemies are nearby they can still attack you and will interrupt you so they need to be isolated.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
We need a cool weaponized jetpack in Horizon 2, kinda like the one from Killzone 3. Also Aloy's climbing skills are underrated.

Zackat

We need a cool weaponized jetpack in Horizon 2, kinda like the one from Killzone 3. Also Aloy's climbing skills are underrated.

Some of those animations look really cool. Like when she rolls onto her back and jumps to a different spot. Hard to explain the movement lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So having finished the game, I think I'm mostly positive on it. I'm a sucker for the terrible Ubiworld design of an open world that is basically just an excuse to collect things, since they basically fill that RPG treadmill but with a suitable conclusion. The fact that you can basically hit max level and grind gear before even touching the main story is appreciated, because that's basically how I played the AssCreed games.

The combat itself is good, except for the times when enemies rush you and you basically have no real options because the bow aiming is terrible. This is particularly bad during Stormbird or Rockjaw fights where they are constantly rushing you at unexpected angles.

My big "complaint" is a strange one, since I enjoyed the story for the most part (it's an amalgamation of so many video game science fiction stories that it's kind of funny). The presentation just felt so "last gen", particularly because it was basically like playing a BioWare game. All the conversations were static two shots of people just standing around doing nothing while you just "x" through the dialog-exposition trees.

I'm not saying I want boring Uncharted-like cutscenes either, but even BioWare "fixed" this problem by Mass Effect 3 by showing conversations between characters while they are walking together. Considering a lot of the game is based on these types of conversations, it makes the game feel very "last gen", like it came out 10 years ago with Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age.

A more minor complaint is that the sense of scale in the world also feels a bit off, since there are maybe a couple hundred or so NPCs in the entire world? It just doesn't seem like a bustling civilization. Meridian should feel like a huge metropolis compared to the Nora towns, but for me anyway, it just looks like an overblown village.

A even more minor story complain with spoilers -
I wish the sequel hook was about the humans who left Earth as opposed to Sylens capturing Hades to presumably start over. Of course, they blew up the Odyssey in an text entry, so that possibility is dead, but they could have made another game with ties to this world without having to rely on a direct sequel.

I'm glad I took the time to play through the game though. I enjoyed my time with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom