• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tear shotgun is something else.

source.gif

I'm really enjoying the game early on but have to disagree on it being the best looking game ever.

Image quality is superb, in game models superb and animation superb but the environment just turns me off. I'm playing in HDR/hi res mode on my OLED and think the Witcher 3, Uncharted 4 and even Far Cry 4 have better looking worlds.

Overall it looks amazing thanks to the thick foliage and brilliant character and enemy models and silky animation but the rivers, water, weather, mountains etc are disappointing to me.

Photo mode and low res gifs will always look great but there's just something off about the world for me.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Is there a way to disable Stalker beacons? Trying to do the stealth hunter trials and it's ridiculously hard with all the crabs and beacons around.

fastmower

I'm really enjoying the game early on but have to disagree on it being the best looking game ever.

Image quality is superb, in game models superb and animation superb but the environment just turns me off. I'm playing in HDR/hi res mode on my OLED and think the Witcher 3, Uncharted 4 and even Far Cry 4 have better looking worlds.

Overall it looks amazing thanks to the thick foliage and brilliant character and enemy models and silky animation but the rivers, water, weather, mountains etc are disappointing to me.

Photo mode and low res gifs will always look great but there's just something off about the world for me.
You cray

hydruxo

Just got the platinum, took me 55 hours. I'm at 95.5% completion so I've still got a few more errands to finish up. What a fucking game though. With all the time I've put into this, it never once felt like it was dragging. In fact as I'm typing this right now I still want to play more. Easily one of my favorite games in a very long time.

Robbing the rich is bugged for me too.
My OCD is going insane for this. I hope I can still platinum it.

Speaking of getting the platinum, can I still get the trophy for (late game spoilers)
knocking over the dummies after mother's reach is attacked by the eclipse?

hydruxo

Speaking of getting the platinum, can I still get the trophy for (late game spoilers)

Yes, you can still go back and do it. I finished that trophy up today after beating the game last night.

Xeteh

Yeah, I can confirm as well. It was the only achievement I didn't have after beating the game and I was able to go back and finish it up.

Speaking of a sequel the one thing I hope they change is the control scheme for usable items, there's simply too many things to scroll through hitting left and right on the d-pad to get to what you want.

It's a bit cumbersome to use in combat.

Are there no rewards for clearing all of them?

At least the Hunting Trials net you some cool weapons

It's worth the bandit camps just to advance the Nil story line. Incoming spoilers, do not read if you're spoilerphobic:
You get a quest with the option to fight him to the death. If you choose not to fight he joins the defences in the final battle for Meridian.

Moneal

Speaking of a sequel the one thing I hope they change is the control scheme for usable items, there's simply too many things to scroll through hitting left and right on the d-pad to get to what you want.

It's a bit cumbersome to use in combat.

Yea, I would prefer the ability to customize left, right, and down instead of having to scroll. Or a wheel kind of like the weapon wheel might be better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I got a new weapon (as in type) from the lodge sidequest, is it any good?

I havent finished the whole quest yet, was just some random reward from midway in the chain.

I dont want to be too specific for spoilers sake.

I got a new weapon (as in type) from the lodge sidequest, is it any good?

I havent finished the whole quest yet, was just some random reward from midway in the chain.

I dont want to be too specific for spoilers sake.

First post of the page.

Hint:
It's good.

source.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Uhhhhhhhhh where do I get this?
It's the hunting lodge sidequest chain.

----

Anyone know if the Shield-Weaver set has any stealth? Honestly I find stealth way more useful than any damage mitigate unless you are specifically hunting for dudes.

lol, on easy it's like you have god mode so I guess it doesn't matter.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holy shit. Late story mission.

The secrets of the world mission, everything leading up to the epic gladiator fight and thereafter was incredible. Especially the end of the fight and Sylens's rescue, I could not believe that shit was running in real time on a Pro. So smooth, almost CGI level quality.
This game is fucking incredible.

Uhhhhhhhhh where do I get this?

You get it as a reward
for some Hunting Lodge quest (to enter the lodge you must acquire three blazing suns on any Hunting Ground trials.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a new review if anyone want to read it:

Impulse Gamer Review (9.6)

Holy shit. Late story mission.

The secrets of the world mission, everything leading up to the epic gladiator fight and thereafter was incredible. Especially the end of the fight and Sylens's rescue, I could not believe that shit was running in real time on a Pro. So smooth, almost CGI level quality.
This game is fucking incredible.

I'd say that's my favourite quest of the main story. Sensational.But don't worry, still great things to come. ;)

Horizon Zero Dawn, what a game. I guess I'll start with my complaints. There are a few of them that hinder my enjoyment every now and then. I still hate that harder difficulties mean less gathering. I've mentioned it pre-release and I'll still say it again that it's a bad design. It's not harder, just time-wasting. It hinders the already great gameplay loop. After a while, I can also feel that the game is developed in a tight budget, like wonky facial animations, ugly water with minimum interaction, and unaccessible buildings, to name a few. but it means that it's quite an accomplishment from GG to pull this out. My wishes for the sequel or maybe expansion DLC is that they need to start with quality of life improvements before anything else.

But man, despites the minor flaws, the game as a package is just so satisfying and fun to play. Combat is so good, the machines are awesome, exploration is a joy, the world is so beautifully designed, the characters are lovable and diverse, all wrapped in a pretty good sci-fi story. The game is like so many franchise combined into one, and they did a pretty damn good job at that. Totally the best PS4 game I've ever played so far (I haven't finished Bloodborne, maybe that'll change). But I wish the game is a bit longer and meatier. I beat and platinumed it within 60 hours which is a bit shorter than I anticipated.

Anyway, if I were to score it I'll give it a solid 9/10.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
First post of the page.

Hint:
It's good.

source.gif

Oh lol thats what it is?

Im very disapointed in the warbow btw, I went back to my sniper bow because I love the tear sonic arrow and the precision one for big damage. Corruption did nothing for me :(

Dante83

Banned
Is it me or that I don't find the game interesting at all? I find myself rushing through just to beat it. Sure, the graphics look good and all, but I am not having fun...Games like the witcher 3 got me immersed and I actually loved playing it, enjoyed taking everything in, but this game does not do that for me. I am trying to like this game.

Oh lol thats what it is?

Im very disapointed in the warbow btw, I went back to my sniper bow because I love the tear sonic arrow and the precision one for big damage. Corruption did nothing for me :(

I barely use it for freeze arrows but I prefer the shadow sling for that. Some people love the war bow tho.
Tear arrows are awesome, I used them a lot on the first half of the game, the sound alone justifies their use

Is it me or that I don't find the game interesting at all? I find myself rushing through just to beat it. Sure, the graphics look good and all, but I am not having fun...Games like the witcher 3 got me immersed and I actually loved playing it, enjoyed taking everything in, but this game does not do that for me. I am trying to like this game.

How far are you in the game? what kind of weapons are you using and are you playing mostly stealth or a more battling approach? Maybe the game won't click with you, it'd be a shame.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh lol thats what it is?

I like it for freeze arrow but that's about it

Zackat

I really hope Horizon is selling well. I would love for the sequel to have a bigger budget to smooth out some of the rough edges.

it's been out of stock on amazon for days now lol. I dunno if that means anything, but I sure haven't seen that.

they could just be having stock issues though, so idk

it's been out of stock on amazon for days now lol. I dunno if that means anything, but I sure haven't seen that.

they could just be having stock issues though, so idk
I was actually interested to see if my local Target had any in stock
they didn't haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom