• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Dragon's Dogma had a pretty fun bow gameplay too. Though I guess if you look at it it was definitely more focused on melee. But I don't see why a game couldn't do both well?

Dragon's Dogma was more lockon-ey with their archery. This is more *gasp* zeldaish.

cheesekao

I think Dragon's Dogma had a pretty fun bow gameplay too. Though I guess if you look at it it was definitely more focused on melee. But I don't see why a game couldn't do both well?
It's like asking why Ratchet and Clank doesn't have more melee weapons. Sure, they can add them but at the end of the day, what's the point? Horizon was built as a shooter and it shows. For melee combat to be just as viable as ranged, many of the bots would need redesigned because for one, Aloy can't reach many of the breakable parts of larger monsters.

The God

It just sounds like a really difficult thing to balance, especially in the context of fighting these huge machines. I guess I'd prefer if GG tried perfecting what works instead of cramming in some gameplay systems that don't mesh well. Like, someone in here earlier was suggesting they should hire Itsuno for melee combat design in the sequel lol

Alo0oy

Banned

WRPGs fail to even nail one of those aspects down, so if a game does both very well it would be amazing.

Tigress

Dragon's Dogma was more lockon-ey with their archery. This is more *gasp* zeldaish.

Uh, ok, not sure what you are implying with that sarcasm or what I said that really offended you?

It's like asking why Ratchet and Clank doesn't have more melee weapons. Sure, they can add them but at the end of the day, what's the point? Horizon was built as a shooter and it shows. For melee combat to be just as viable as ranged, many of the bots would need redesigned because for one, Aloy can't reach many of the breakable parts of larger monsters.

Oh, I'm enjoying that it is a shooter (I'm not complaining it doesn't have melee. The biggest reason I initially was excited was hunting robot dinosaurs with a bow). I'm just saying I wasn't seeing why a game could not do both well (I didn't even say Horizon, just a theoretical open world RPG in general). I mean Monster Hunter manages to do both melee and ranged weapons without seeming to be more aimed at one type.

I just don't see why some one couldn't make a game that does both well. I'm not really complaining that Horizon doesn't (I agree that with it the focus is more planning and strategy rather than out right combat). I like the fact it is going for a more hunter feel where you are up against things that could kick your ass so instead you have to use weapons that will give advantage to you (like staying out of their reach ;) ). That's I think the main appeal of the game to me.

Loudninja

The cast is another solid point in favor of Horizon Zero Dawn, with a ton of attention dedicated to their design and personality. Aloy is of course the queen of the game, witty and rebellious, but extremely likable in her curiosity that sets her continuously in motion in search of answers.
Not all characters are as beautifully outlined as Aloy and Rost, of course, especially considering that there are so many, but there is plenty of charm and many interesting quirks to be explored and enjoyed, enriching further the already deep and engrossing setting.
A conversation system also comes with choices that let you take three approaches, which are normally violent, smart and empathetic. This is somewhat similar to the paragon and renegade system included in Mass Effect games, but while it does have some consequences, they aren't as radical. That said, it's a very welcome way to let you ”roleplay" Aloy as best fits your taste.
The story is extremely interesting, and while there are a couple of weaker moments here and there, peeling off layer after layer of mystery until the very end, is something that fully absorbed me, making me want to know more and more after every conversation and every clue I discovered. Not only it's very enjoyable on its own, but it's also a very solid foundation for what has the potential to be a strong franchise.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02...lla-games-finally-delivered-true-masterpiece/

Alo0oy

Banned
Don't go to 4chan or reddit too(well at least some parts for the latter)

Reddit is worse lol.

Xw5zs8D.png

Although r/gamingcirclejerk and r/shitredditsays are fine, but they're the exception. And they're mostly focused on mocking reddit.

cheesekao

Oh, I'm enjoying that it is a shooter (I'm not complaining it doesn't have melee. The biggest reason I initially was excited was hunting robot dinosaurs with a bow). I'm just saying I wasn't seeing why a game could not do both well (I didn't even say Horizon, just a theoretical open world RPG in general). I mean Monster Hunter manages to do both melee and ranged weapons without seeming to be more aimed at one type.
I half expected you to say that and I have just the reply. Monsters in MH have been designed in such a way that that most melee weapons can reach them during openings. If a melee weapon can hit them, a ranged weapon by default should be able to as well. Monsters in MH also tumble/fall over and leave openings far more often than the bots in Horizon.

Can GG design the thunderjaw to fall over and expose its back as often as the Duramboros? Sure they can BUT if the player likes to stick close to the thunderjaw, many of its attacks like the laser blaster, laser beam and disc launcher would be pointless since it would rather just stomp around, charge or tail swipe. You can argue that there are plenty of monsters in MH with both ranged and physical attacks but like I said, the gameplay has to be balanced for that sort of combat. Capcom has been polishing MH for ages and they are arguably one of the kings of gameplay whereas GG's thing is shooters.

Skux

Reddit is worse lol.

Xw5zs8D.png

Although r/gamingcirclejerk and r/shitredditsays are fine, but they're the exception. And they're mostly focused on mocking reddit.

Lol. It's easier for Guerrilla to make a great game than for Sony to conspire to bribe/blackmail review sites for good scores.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Freeflow felt amazing to play at first, the problem is it wears thin fairly fast as there is little depth.

Its like the anti-souls combat (souls feels horrible the first time you touch it, but once you get in the swing of things it really pulls you in). I'd really like to see a game nail melee combat both with the initial feel and with actual depth.

Played nioh yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndWdkhPSv9Y&t=807s

Nagito

Congratulations GG on horizon scoring great and what's looking like a new franchise can't wait to play the game next week.

Freeflow felt amazing to play at first, the problem is it wears thin fairly fast as there is little depth
I dont play that combat for tons of depth. That's part of the whole appeal. I play to look cool, try to be as smooth and fluid as I can, and get some challenge from the different enemy types

Not having as much depth isnt really flaw. It's just a different style of combat

The Lamp

Reddit is worse lol.

Xw5zs8D.png

I don't think I've seen anything this astoundingly wrong since people expected Trump to lose to Hillary

That's big talk coming from someone who's never played the game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
That's the reason I barely go on gamefaqs anymore. Since Horizon has been in development since 2011, did SJW's even exist in 2011 because I sure as hell don't remember seeing, hearing or reading about them?

EDIT: Does that redeem code for the Horizon static theme work based on the topic on gamefaqs? Anyone try it?

cheesekao

That's the reason I barely go on gamefaqs anymore. Since Horizon has been in development since 2011, did SJW's even exist in 2011 because I sure as hell don't remember seeing, hearing or reading about them?
SJWs have been a thing long before 2011 but it never had a negative connotation until recent years.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
SJWs have been a thing long before 2011 but it never had the negative connotation like it does right now.

Oh, okay. I will never understand why people can't just play the games that they want to play and ignore the games that they don't want to play. Oh well.

Reddit is worse lol.

Xw5zs8D.png

Is this legit and how serious we should take this into consideration that anythings possible?

If it's a broken gm and reviewers got payed hiding this shit to keep it on the hush ill cancel this mofo on the spot.

Mad af!

Floody

I don't think I've seen anything this astoundingly wrong since people expected Trump to lose to Hillary

That's big talk coming from someone who's never played the game.

This is exactly what someone on Sony's payroll would say. Not fooling me The Lamp (if that's even your real name).

Savitar

Had the CE pre ordered for some and can't wait, I loved the designs when they first showed up, it was something so new and different and damn I wanted it, when it showed up on amazon.ca damn well made to pre order it. Had a good feeling about it.

Glad to see so far it seems that feeling is correct.

Floody

It's amazing how delusional these people are. They make up their own reality and then they live in that made up reality.

Dangers of sticking to just an echo chamber, why I always welcome different opinions, even if I completely disagree with them. Is kinda scary how fast people in them believe what's said and echoed there is the reality though. Embarrassing too.

playXray

"RPG" is such a broad term now. You have all kinds of role playing games: action (dark souls), tactical( ogre battle), Japanese (my fave), western (skyrim), and European (Far cry, deus ex, and horizon).
...ok, I made that last one up.

The far cry games have definitely felt like different RPGs to me, just with shooter gameplay.

Maybe it's just me, but the only one of those games that doesn't feel like an RPG is Far Cry. It just feels so shooter-centric that the RPG elements barely register.

Btw I love the Far Cry games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom