• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who was incredibly worried by the Brom scene prior to playing the game, I can confirm that it's a particularly egregious example and, while there are a few poor voice actors here and there, the quality across the board is much, much higher than that clip may lead you to believe.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Was never worried abt gfx, va and performance. The story and the world itself was my worry.
Great to hear that GG showed that they belong to the top. Loved KZ2, though 3 was more then okay but hated Shadowfall. Happy they are back

hanyang1992

Neo Member
I hope more First Party game use Decima Engine; like SCEJ Studios

I would like to see Keiichiro Toyama next game using the Decima engine.

Imagine a New SIREN game or New Horror game running in the Decima engine
(like Until Dawn using the Decima engine )

SprFE0T.jpg

Please Keiichiro Toyama gave me a New SIREN game or Horror Game !!!!!!

Dk6Ir6z.jpg

GANfKCl.gif

LtMaKx1.gif

k0KMLUQ.gif

Are you kidding me? Why is there no Ps4 pro / horizon bundle?
Mentioned it before but they can barely keep up with production of the thing Nd they likely feel it's too early for a $400 bundle and making one for $450 this late in the game will be unattractive to the casual consumer.

Mentioned it before but they can barely keep up with production of the thing Nd they likely feel it's too early for a $400 bundle and making one for $450 this late in the game will be unattractive to the casual consumer.

$450 bundle with Horizon and Uncharted 4 could have worked. Showcase the best games hardware can offer.

$450 bundle with Horizon and Uncharted 4 could have worked. Showcase the best games hardware can offer.
In theory yea but pfft they're not taking the hit on not one but Two games. Pro probably won't get bundles until holiday when they can bundle with stuff like horizon, battlefront 2,Rdr2(lol 2018) etc

Tigress

Reddit is worse lol.

I'm totally not surprised that came from Reddit. It has a lot of gamer gathers on it and a large crowd that loves to complain about sjws and loves to hate on feminists.

That's the reason I barely go on gamefaqs anymore. Since Horizon has been in development since 2011, did SJW's even exist in 2011 because I sure as hell don't remember seeing, hearing or reading about them?

EDIT: Does that redeem code for the Horizon static theme work based on the topic on gamefaqs? Anyone try it?

Sjws were feminazis before they were sjws. They just reworded it so people could stop bitching about them using the word nazi, they could look less obvious that they were pigs, and hide the fact that they were sexists by trying to look reasonable (we're only bitching about those people who go too far). Oh, and the added benefit is that they could start applying it to anyone being PC about anything so they could also get other bigots on their side (kinda like how Christianity is lumped into one big religion now when it used to be people really didn't see themselves the same if one was Protestant or one was Catholic). And they also get more moderates who don't realize that is what they are doing because the moderates don't pay attention to this stuff (like my husband who bought into the excuse that it's only for the extremists. I bitched at him the word is used to make every feminist/PC person look extreme).

Tigress

I half expected you to say that and I have just the reply. Monsters in MH have been designed in such a way that that most melee weapons can reach them during openings. If a melee weapon can hit them, a ranged weapon by default should be able to as well. Monsters in MH also tumble/fall over and leave openings far more often than the bots in Horizon.

Can GG design the thunderjaw to fall over and expose its back as often as the Duramboros? Sure they can BUT if the player likes to stick close to the thunderjaw, many of its attacks like the laser blaster, laser beam and disc launcher would be pointless since it would rather just stomp around, charge or tail swipe. You can argue that there are plenty of monsters in MH with both ranged and physical attacks but like I said, the gameplay has to be balanced for that sort of combat. Capcom has been polishing MH for ages and they are arguably one of the kings of gameplay whereas GG's thing is shooters.

Once again I was more talking about a game doing both well, not horizon specifically. I thought I made it pretty clear I wasn't complaining about horizon not having detailed melee (go back and read the post you replied to again. Hell, even the part you quoted specified that I was not aiming my comments at horizon specifically but just wondering why we couldn't get both in a game (as in why couldn't some one make a game that does both?).

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
A lot of it is probably from salty fanboys from the 'other team'. A saw a bunch of them shit-talking about Horizon yesterday on Twitter (focusing on the US Gamer 2.5/5 review, of course) and I tried to engage with them and ask why they hated a game they hadn't even played. Of course I didn't get a clear answer aside from Horizon just being a copy of The Witcher 3 + Enslaved, but we did also get to a bunch of other PS4 exclusives being crap, like Ratchet just being a remake, Until Dawn having a low framerate and just being a movie, Bloodborne being just a Dark Souls copy which is shit compared to Ninja Gaiden (?) and my favourite of all, he didn't like The Last of Us because it promotes homosexuality!

I realise I shouldn't have bothered and I know engaging with devout fanatics is pointless, but I was trying to engage and see why they felt so threatened by this game. All it made me realise is that they are completely incapable of any rational thought, and more specifically that Horizon has rattled an awful lot of cages.
It's Nintendo fanboys. They feel threatened.

ajanke

Many many many hours in now.
That Brom scene indeed appears to be somewhat of a outlier

Played through that last night. Was laughing at Brom and his sister constantly smilling lol. I did notice the wrinkles on her chin were a nice touch though. I'm only 5 hours in but I feel like the voice acting for the most part is great. Facial animations isn't horrible but you can tell they spent some time on some more than others.

Memento

I have just watched a video from the devs saying that the facial animations wasnt procedually generated like most open world RPGs in their dialogue cutscenes.

Everything is mocaped.

That must be a first, right? Can you imagine how many animations they had to do...

Lady Gaia

Today on Amazon: Horizon moves into the #2 spot for all of February, just behind the $20 PSN card, and the #4 spot for the year just behind the Switch version of Zelda. It has been absolutely racing up the charts there.

Today on Amazon: Horizon moves into the #2 spot for all of February, just behind the $20 PSN card, and the #4 spot for the year just behind the Switch version of Zelda. It has been absolutely racing up the charts there.
Good grief, it just passed the Switch. To even be near Zelda with 5 days left to launch is absurd.

Also moved 3 more spots since yesterday on the overall best sellers list of 2017 going from 7 to 4 passing the Switch(it already passed RE7).

Skeeter49

Wonder how long it'll keep that momentum. Props to Guerrilla though, everything seems to be going well with Horizon.

I have just watched a video from the devs saying that the facial animations wasnt procedually generated like most open world RPGs in their dialogue cutscenes.

Everything is mocaped.

That must be a first, right? Can you imagine how many animations they had to do...

Didn't L.A. Noire do something similar or am I misremembering?

Wow...I hope it sells well...I'm so ready for challenging games to become the norm again in AAA productions.

cheesekao

56 million user base vs no user base. Not that absurd.
It's never wise to underestimate Nintendo fans. Splatoon did amazingly well on a 'relatively' dead console and I'm pretty sure Zelda will do better than that. Of course, 3 mill FW is quite doubtful but its LTD might be pretty high.

Luke_Wal

I hope more First Party game use Decima Engine; like SCEJ Studios

I would like to see Keiichiro Toyama next game using the Decima engine.

Imagine a New SIREN game or New Horror game running in the Decima engine
(like Until Dawn using the Decima engine )

SprFE0T.jpg

Please Keiichiro Toyama gave me a New SIREN game or Horror Game !!!!!![/B

k0KMLUQ.gif

I'm pretty sure Until Dawn was already running on "the Killzone Shadowfall engine," which would basically be Decima, no?

Shock32

I finally pulled the trigger on the collectors edition from Amazon. I love steel cases. But yeah it's dominating, the last game I remember doing anything like this was uncharted 4.

Wollan

Horizon won't do as good as UC4 or Zelda. Still it will see excellent numbers for a new IP once it's tallied up at the end of the year. With bundles I suspect 5 million+.
Horizon will become very big but it needs to establish itself. Horizon 2 will sell bucketloads from the get go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom