• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Gaffer and his 3D printer trolled the world (2nd NX fake)

Vic_Viper

Favorite post about this fake was the guy who went as far as proving this thing was at massive entertainment which was followed by someone saying how Nintendo was sending lawyers over there lol.

That controller looks way too uncomfortable and unwieldy. I seriously doubt they will use that patent mock up design for the final product.

lt519

Amazing, this must have been absolutely hysterical for you. What a great way to spend your time, don't listen to the salty people.

AgeEighty

I think in the short term people are going to be way more skeptical of these types of "leaks", and some will definitely remember it for a long time, but after a while the Internet at large will definitely forget

Skeptical of this exact leak, maybe. But the first time someone comes up with a new fake that doesn't look like Nintendo's patent images, people will jump right back on the bus.

Guerrilla

Regular Trolling = Ban
Next Level Trolling = Accolades

tyj4ddtpszyetgderq2k.png

Nice Job!

Will I be banned if I think another GAFfer should be banned?

Because I think a ban would send a message that it's not necessarily okay to do fake leaks. I mean, yeah, one or two is fun but what if everyone with a 3D printer attempted the same thing? Theoretically, the boards could be flooded with fakes of...everything and anything.

So, perhaps both a temp ban AND a tag are in order. But please, I'm not trying to be a jackass, and if suggesting this is a bannable offense then I'm sorry. Maybe I missed it in the TOS.

What you're doing is backseat modding, which is frowned upon if not bannable.

I don't know if it's happened in this thread but I saw in the other thread that people were talking a lot of shit about Rösti and ShockingAlberto and indicating they are now running scared, etc., and not legit insiders. I just want to point out that all Alberto said was that he'd heard the first pic was real from a source. He never said he was certain of its veracity by any stretch. Previously he has known insider information before it was announced by Nintendo so I don't think he should be given such a hard time about this.
As to Rösti, he specifically made a point to say that he was not saying the leak was real or fake, just that certain parties were upset about it. He even expressed anxiety and physical symptoms resulting from stress over this, and he never said the leak was real, so please, those giving either of these upstanding members of the community a hard time, reconsider doing so. Thank you.

If some insider like Rösti is having physical symptoms over this, maybe he/she needs to be away from the internet for a while cause they might be taking this way too seriously.

jax

Banned
-ignores entire thread-

Hey it's the Nintendo NX first hands on! Neat!

#teamreal #teamcloseenoughprobably

Peltz

Well played.

I still can't people fell for the concept lol. Nintendo has been pretty clear about tactile input methods.
Yep. That's why I stayed on team fake till the end. That thing just didn't look like something Nintendo would make.

Gsnap

I think my favorite thing about this is that the video he just posted is very high quality and informative. It was fun to watch the process and see the machines working.

That's cool actually, if a mod wants to give me the title of "Tree Believer", I'll take it. Two reasons:

1. I'll be the gaming equivalent of the guy who thinks the moon landing was faked...except in reverse I guess.

2. Years from now younger Gaffers will have no fucking idea what that title means and it'll be funny.

Anyway, just saying, if at E3 Nintendo shows the NX and THAT is the controller, I'm gonna lol. It would mean they got someone to lie about faking it I guess?

#TREEBELIEVER

You mean you're one of those fools that believes the moon landing is real. :p

the crazy thing is, it's going to be harder and harder to believe in leaks now, unless they're corroborated by several sources.

People will always believe in leaks because the gaming community has such a strong desire for information on new stuff that fact-checking will always take a back seat to "OMG!!!"

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yea he got me too.

I will second the motion of....thank god it was fake. #TEAMPHYSICALBUTTONS

Whats funny tho is looking at the pic with the outline of what might have been someone's head late yesterday...I kept saying to myself why is the person looking down at the controller from over top of the monitor...

I was stuck on that. I thought it might be someone's elbow.

FZZ

Banned
People will always believe in leaks because the gaming community has such a strong desire for information on new stuff that fact-checking will always take a back seat to "OMG!!!"

Not unless it's coming from like 4 verified sources on GAF

This guy broke me. I no longer believe anything.

It's gonna take another ESRB Smash 4 level leak for me to even consider shit like this plausible now.

Nanashrew

Banned
Keep in mind it's also pretty easy to get rid of some metadata too. A friend of a friend of mine was the person who did the Palutena hoax back during the Smash 4 stuff.

This is when we learn that Nintendo hired this guy to make a 3D printing of their actual controller in order to put it out on the web to test consumer reactions.

In the end, we're all the fiddle.

It's gonna take another ESRB Smash 4 level leak for me to even consider shit like this plausible now.

Surely the "Rayman in Smash" video should have been enough to break you though, yet here we are!

Honestly, the main thing that gets me to believe a leak is getting other, specific info right. The trev leaks about Zelda u cross platform and on NX this year are very, very likely because everything else he said has proven correct, down to incredibly specific info such as the new pokemon games code name being Niji

FZZ

Banned
Honestly, the main thing that gets me to believe a leak is getting other, specific info right. The trev leaks about Zelda u cross platform and on NX this year are very, very likely because everything else he said has proven correct, down to incredibly specific info such as the new pokemon games code name being Niji

Trev's been vetted, and the Niji codename being on actual TPC images was some godtier confirmation

I think because of Trev's leak I expected the controller to leak and once I saw the black controller after the first one hadn't been debunked I fully believed it was real

Still though I'd be lying if I said I didn't want SOME more NX info to leak. It's been a drought for anything Nintendo related for the past few months. Best thing we found out was Color Splash lol...

Wow it felt really really good to watch that step-by-step video that depicted the exact way I suggested a fake like this could be made only to get reamed in the other thread. It felt good yesterday knowing it had been 3D printed but actually seeing it, and having it play out to a T the way I and a few others said it could be done is just, ahhhhhh. Feels good man.

Trev's been vetted, and the Niji codename being on actual TPC images was some godtier confirmation

I think because of Trev's leak I expected the controller to leak and once I saw the black controller after the first one hadn't been debunked I fully believed it was real

Still though I'd be lying if I said I do want SOME more NX info to leak. It's been a drought for anything Nintendo related for the past few months. Best thing we found out was Color Splash lol...
what I'm saying is the best way for a leak to be likely is to come from a source who got other specific info right at the same time. Note that getting info right earlier is different, because they might just have become hungry for attention after one success and started making things up. Pictures and even videos can be faked with effort, but getting spot on info through a guess is far less likely

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That's some seriously amazing work. I knew it couldn't have just been a plain 3D print though. That shiny surface had to be something else, and sure enough he had some crazy laser cutter thing that made it :)

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's me, GAF!
*echoes in the background* "Aw son of a bitch. WHAT!?"
It's me, GAF! It's was me all along, GAF!
You all bought! You all bought it! *We did!*
Hook, line and sinker you all bought it!
Even my family! Even my immediate family bought it! *Look at Reggie!*
Every last one of you were made fools of! *You're a fool, Reggie!*
But you know, I really didn't wanna have to do it. Tatsumi made me. Tatsumi Kimishima made me fool you. He made me. Because GAF, I had to teach you a lesson you would never, NEVER forget.

davemyers

Neo Member
Impressive fakery. A real-world object is much harder for the Internet to prove fake than a photoshop, what with the "pixels".

Now change the damn battery in your smoke detector.

people are relieved right now. would be funny if the final product looks exactly like this :D didnt Nintendo have a patent that looks like this?

Neiteio

Well, if Nintendo isn't going to corner the market on videogame rear-view mirrors, I will. Why see what's behind you in traffic when you can be playing Zelda!

Kouriozan

It's me, GAF!
*echoes in the background* "Aw son of a bitch. WHAT!?"
It's me, GAF! It's was me all along, GAF!
You all bought! You all bought it! *We did!*
Hook, line and sinker you all bought it!
Even my family! Even my immediate family bought it! *Look at Reggie!*
Every last one of you were made fools of! *You're a fool, Reggie!*
But you know, I really didn't wanna have to do it. Tatsumi made me. Tatsumi Kimishima made me fool you. He made me. Because GAF, I had to teach you a lesson you would never, NEVER forget.

Hehe, that's great.

Top Bottom