• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Gaffer and his 3D printer trolled the world (2nd NX fake)

The Lamp

I never believed the Rayman leak tho

This dude 3D PRINTED a fucking fake controller

I was legit duped

Considering how many of my friends own a 3D printer and how common it is in universities, the 3D printed plastic isn't very amazing to me.

What really got me was the screen. I assumed, surely, no faker would waste time cutting out a screen for the plastic casing. I mean, who cares that much. The effort for that headphone jack and that screen seemed more than was plausible for your average faker.

I underestimated the effort to which a faker would go though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Looking forward for the nx controller reveal without any neat futuristic feature and people get disappointed :p

That Zelda UI gif sold me so I will be sad

lt519

What really got me was the screen.

I remember a lot of people assuming it was fake because the screen wasn't turned on and the first fake at least had an image. The whole thing got me, mostly because it seemed to be a second independent source.

people are relieved right now. would be funny if the final product looks exactly like this :D didnt Nintendo have a patent that looks like this?
Yeah but the thing with patents is that the actual product never winds up looking exactly like the patent drawings. iPhone patent drawings are bulky rectangles with a circle at the bottom, controller patents are typically extremely generic shapes, etc.

Either you got most of those right, or you were part of this all along together with kankki.

What does Occam's razor say in this case?
Not sure if serious but all it takes is a level head. I was saying the same stuff too (though he's worked with acrylic and laser cutters so he had much more technical knowledge than I did) and I wasn't even on either team. I just know that 3D printers exist and it's not out of the realm of possibility that, had it been fake, it could have been made with a 3D printer. Just being open to, "well, the technology exists, so it is theoretically possible that someone with access to it could make this" was all it took.

People were just flipping their shit saying it just wasn't possible but as I said before, what do you think people did before there was Photoshop and Maya? They built actual fakes. We now have tech that makes doing that extremely easy because as long as you have the 3D printer and ability to model something on a computer, you can make whatever you want. I still don't understand why that was such an unimaginable concept for some people to grasp.

Nibel

On one hand, kinda messed up to go to such lengths to troll people lol

On the other hand, I gotta dap this; pretty damn well done, a new age of fakes has begun

Salute

Gsnap

On one hand, kinda messed up to go to such lengths to troll people lol

On the other hand, I gotta dap this; pretty damn well done, a new age of fakes has begun

Salute

Honestly, I can't even think that it's messed up. Even though he was technically messing with people, the people loved it. We ate it up, made new memes off of it, mockups of how zelda could work, tons of jokes, and multiple days of more interesting discussion than most forums see in a month. Outside of 3 people that seem genuinely upset, we love this kind of stuff, and we know it.

brau

Did you think before posting that?

But not of thinking first

niKWihx.png

I don't think he got it.

Axass

kankki said:
I made this fake. Let's see if I just got myself banned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_B65J86D_8

Lol, you fooled almost everybody, good job. ;)

I'm glad it's fake though, didn't like the oval shape and the absence of buttons.

Will I be banned if I think another GAFfer should be banned?

Because I think a ban would send a message that it's not necessarily okay to do fake leaks. I mean, yeah, one or two is fun but what if everyone with a 3D printer attempted the same thing? Theoretically, the boards could be flooded with fakes of...everything and anything.

So, perhaps both a temp ban AND a tag are in order. But please, I'm not trying to be a jackass, and if suggesting this is a bannable offense then I'm sorry. Maybe I missed it in the TOS.

It's funny because we brought this upon ourselves, both fakers have a NeoGAF account. I don't think they should be banned though, because:

1 - Epic threads; we enjoyed the speculation and had something to talk about, heck, memes were born.

2 - We got information and people (press and insiders) exposed themselves due to those pictures.

3 - He admitted faking it and didn't keep the charade up too long.

4 - It was pretty much the first time something of this degree happened, so there are no precedents; nobody was hurt and it was all just in good fun.

That said, I hope people don't get the idea that everything's fair play from now on. Maybe mods should warn people about doing this from now on, but then again that would just mean that the fakers would hide in fear of being banned and we wouldn't have confirmation about it being fake, so... dunno.

I agree. If let's say I had insider info that I was even 95% sure of but not 100% sure I wouldn't post it publicly. But, I don't think either deserve the schadenfreude-laden public flogging they received.

Absolutely agree on both instances, they're good posters and nice people as far as I know, definitely undeserving of hate and ironic remarks, but they must learn to just be quiet unless they can say something without fiddling around and be certain of what they say.

I have to admit I was leaning more towards fake but at the same time a part of me thought it could be real. I was definitely conflicted! Looks pretty great for being a model and that thread was a ride to read. Kept me laughing the whole day.
I didn't realize how amazing 3D printers were! Quite impressive.

I don't know if it's happened in this thread but I saw in the other thread that people were talking a lot of shit about Rösti and ShockingAlberto and indicating they are now running scared, etc., and not legit insiders. I just want to point out that all Alberto said was that he'd heard the first pic was real from a source. He never said he was certain of its veracity by any stretch. Previously he has known insider information before it was announced by Nintendo so I don't think he should be given such a hard time about this.
As to Rösti, he specifically made a point to say that he was not saying the leak was real or fake, just that certain parties were upset about it. He even expressed anxiety and physical symptoms resulting from stress over this, and he never said the leak was real, so please, those giving either of these upstanding members of the community a hard time, reconsider doing so. Thank you.

I dunno, I sympathize, but no one forced them to even comment and they must've known that vague comments would steer people in a direction. If you can't say something concrete, there's really no point in speculating. Especially if you're going to invoke "My insider contact said so and so", because then it's not even just your own commentary

poodaddy

Gold Member
It's truly a new age. What used to be called lying and thought to be deplorable is now called trolling and is somehow deserving of congratulations. I don't understand internet culture :/.

Gleethor

It's kind of crazy that many of us are ready to believe that Nintendo will do just about anything, hardware-wise. Myself included.

bart64

Banned
It's truly a new age. What used to be called lying and thought to be deplorable is now called trolling and is somehow deserving of congratulations. I don't understand internet culture :/.

It's called a prank and was always called a prank. A good one too.

Anarky

Banned
One thing this entire thing taught me is that a disheartening amount of people seem to relish the thought of Nintendo's next 'failure' and them going 3rd party.

It's kind of crazy that many of us are ready to believe that Nintendo will do just about anything, hardware-wise. Myself included.

Nintendo is, in the truest sense of the term, a wild card. The only constants are their big franchises appearing at some point on their systems

giphy.gif

One thing this entire thing taught me is that a disheartening amount of people seem to relish the thought of Nintendo's next 'failure' and them going 3rd party.

This too. It's quite sad especially when those people basically exposed themselves as simply wanting Nintendo to fail for the sake of it

J-Tier

Tricks have been around since the dawn of man. If you're able to discern the difference between a playful and malicious prank, it should make it clear why people are so impressed by the result.

MUnited83

For you.

Pranks have existed for a long time. Nothing wrong with pranks that hurt no one.

LMAO at all the people getting salty about this. It was a very well executed prank, definitely got me so my hat is off to 'em. Personally I am pretty entertained by the whole thing. Try not to take it so seriously guys, you'll get an ulcer or high blood pressure or something.

Top Bottom