• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Clinton lost Michigan — and blew the election. Interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoweee

People on this forum were talking about Texas going blue.

Madness...

Texas was a single-digit state this year. Hillary won the PV by ~2%. She was polling at around 7-9% a few months ago. If that rose over 10%, Texas was a legitimate flip.

But Republicans came home, like they always do, and late-breaking voters went for Trump.

The ground game was poor because there was no excitement for the campaign. Let's be frank about it.

Yes we all hated Donald and were shocked at every dumb shit he kept doing, but that wasn't enough to motivate for Clinton. The message of the campaign assumed vilifiying Trump was enough, instead of finding an own cohesive slogan to ride behind.

I do think, however, that the Clinton campaign did amazing and historical things in red states like Texas, Arizona and Georgia that will likely pay off in 2018 and 2020. Sadly, 2016 was about solidifying the blue states, not chasing after future blue states (fav demos are not there just yet).

Dude Abides

Banned
This article was a port-mortem report based on recorded facts, not an opinion piece based on faulty predictions and biases.

It's based on mostly unnamed sources pointing fingers and grinding axes after a loss. Little different than when some rag says Kanye and Kim are fighting again. But hey, it supports the narrative you like (now) so don't let me stop you.

It's based on mostly unnamed sources pointing fingers and grinding axes after a loss. Little different than when some rag says Kanye and Kim are fighting again. But hey, it supports the narrative you like (now) so don't let me stop you.

yeah, why wouldn't people want their name printed on a controversial story posted on the internet? /s

ElFly

I swear I feel like some of you were born yesterday and this is your first election. Why would she waste her resources in a state where is she is leading by 5 points? Why would you?

because Trump had said early on his strategy was to go to those states and win them

i dont know why it's a "waste of time" to visit a state even if your magical polls and algorithms decide. you're running for president of the entire country. you should be going to every state even if solely for symbolic purposes. you should be doing EVERYTHING YOU CAN to win the vote of everybody in the country. why should people vote for you when you don't consider their state even worth visiting?

digdug2k

because Trump had said early on his strategy was to go to those states and win them
Trump also said he was going to win CA and NY. Trump said shitloads of dumb stuff. Hindsight is 20/20. Its easy to look now. She should have visited there (I doubt it would have made much difference).

dakilla13

i dont know why it's a "waste of time" to visit a state even if your magical polls and algorithms decide. you're running for president of the entire country. you should be going to every state even if solely for symbolic purposes. you should be doing EVERYTHING YOU CAN to win the vote of everybody in the country. why should people vote for you when you don't consider their state even worth visiting?

Because you can only be in so many places at once. Clinton never needed to come to the Bay Area, for example, because it was going for her no matter what.

jfkgoblue

The ground game was poor because there was no excitement for the campaign. Let's be frank about it.

Yes we all hated Donald and were shocked at every dumb shit he kept doing, but that wasn't enough to motivate for Clinton. The message of the campaign assumed vilifiying Trump was enough, instead of finding an own cohesive slogan to ride behind.

I do think, however, that the Clinton campaign did amazing and historical things in red states like Texas, Arizona and Georgia that will likely pay off in 2018 and 2020. Sadly, 2016 was about solidifying the blue states, not chasing after future blue states (fav demos are not there just yet).
Arizona, Texas and Georgia were all around 8-9% margin. They are having a slight blue shift, but this election was an anomaly for that. These states (except Arizona) are still completely dominated by the GOP on the state and national level, this wasn't the case in the Rust Belt.

BunnyBear

Well, Moore nailed the election, so I would rather listen to him than PoliGAF or HillGAF.

Exactly. GAF, like almost everything and everyone who claimed to have an idea, got it horribly wrong and was as a collective completely off the mark. I also thought she would win, but was showing no confidence.

We should be listening to people who got it right.

The fact that GAF was in the top five site referrer to HillaryClinton.com was just bizarre.

How does that even happen? It's not like during the election there were tons of threads "Hey check out this link on HillaryClinton.com!" or lot's of people responding in threads "Oh this page on HillaryClinton.com will answer all your questions!"

I'm honestly very confused by it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Exactly. GAF, like almost everything and everyone who claimed to have an idea, got it horribly wrong and was as a collective completely off the mark. I also thought she would win, but was showing no confidence.

We should be listening to people who got it right.
Hey now, I'm on GAF, and I got it right.

How does that even happen? It's not like during the election there were tons of threads "Hey check out this link on HillaryClinton.com!" or lot's of people responding in threads "Oh this page on HillaryClinton.com will answer all your questions!"

I'm honestly very confused by it.

Putting links to her website is just as easy as why there would be links to Amazon or Google on this site too. Lots of posters linked to it.

So you're saying Trump may have won Michigan by an even larger margin than what he got?

If the recount had been allowed to go through and showed this to be the case, you just inadvertently gave voter ID laws a legitimate premise.

Also on topic. People need to stop blaming this all on Hillary, that's how Trumo not only wins all the same states as this year in 2020, but also adds Minnesota and Maine, although Minnesota will turn red soonish anyways, it's been trending that way for some time.

Honestly if voters find Trump to be even ok, 2020 could be a landslide no matter what Democrats do, it's quite hard to defeat an incumbent with even decent approval ratings, and Trump was able to win with horrible numbers.

2022 midterms and 2024 presidential election will be the true test as improving the Senate in 2018 is a pipe dream due to the shear math of it, only hope is to prevent a Republican supermajority.

Rabbit hole continues.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/15/records-detroit-poll-books-missing-several-days/95476742/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom