• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much will No Man's Sky cost?

mattp

"way too much for an indie title" is so fucking baffling

what if it was literally the same game, but you didnt know it was made by an indie studio?
if ubisoft published no man's sky it would be ok to pay 60, but since a small studio is self publishing it, now its only worth 20 dollars?
jesus christ

BahamutPT

Why are people judging a game's price point on budget and indie-ness instead of value/content provided?

Should an independently developed game with as much content as AAA games (speculation I know, but this is to illustrate the point) be valued less because it's indie and low budget?

I mean... it's the same at the movies... You don't pay less (unless under specific conditions like festivals, special occasions, etc) to see a movie just because its budget is lower or because it doesn't have a big studio behind it.

bombshell

After seeing The Witness for $40, I'm scared NMS will be $60. Way too much for an indie title. Even $40 is too much.

$20-$30 will be a sweet spot for me.

Wait for a sale then.

I fail to see why The Witness is not worth $40 or why NMS would not be worth $60.

FLEABttn

Banned
Probably $60. I also think that while indie games were originally these low priced, small games, it would be a bad assumption that all indie games should be low priced, small games. AAA games aren't just about price but arguably the business practices that goes into them as well.

RulkezX

I still cant get over the fact that The Witcher 3 was £40/$60 - its a bloody indie game...

ps3ud0 8)

You do know we can are your username right above your post, right?

OT - The game has bigger issues than potential price, people still ask wtf it actually is. For me to bite at filo retail they're going to have to have a huge information blowout over the next few months.

Sushigod7

Rough crowd whenever this comes up if its $60 and you don't like the price wait a few months till it his half that during a deal. Nobody is making you buy it day one and why people get angry about pricing on D1 makes no sense. I'd happily pay $40-60 it looks like hours of entertainment. However I will not pay $20 because its worth more than that. *dripping with sarcasm*

$60.

The Witness, for better or worse, has opened a box that I don't think can be shut again. There are plenty of indie games that should cost more than they actually do, but don't because they were possibly afraid it wouldn't sell.

NMS is gonna have boxed copies, and tons of gameplay hours in it. $60 easy.

Hoje0308

Banned
After seeing The Witness for $40, I'm scared NMS will be $60. Way too much for an indie title. Even $40 is too much.

Because who cares about the quality and amount of content, right? This is easily one of the most irrational opinions currently holding the industry back, IMO.

Senoculum

Same here; and I almost wish they'd release an alpha version already. $60 (80 Canadian, yikes) is quite steep for something that isn't touting AAA budgets and feats. It's like paying an IMAX ticket for your entire family for the slow-burn horror flick It Follows.

jbartee

Way too much for an indie title. Even $40 is too much.

Because it's a low budget Indie title?

being an indie title isn't a reason something should cost less.

It should be $15 bucks IMO. That's how much content its offering

this is actually a good reason, if it ends up being true. games that promise infinite content can sometimes actually provide ~less~ content if the math doesn't give rise to enough experiential diversity. i'm confident no man's sky is going to hold attention long enough to justify $60 but we'll all have to wait and see

what if it was literally the same game, but you didnt know it was made by an indie studio?
if ubisoft published no man's sky it would be ok to pay 60, but since a small studio is self publishing it, now its only worth 20 dollars?
jesus christ

If Ubisoft published NMS the secret at the center of the universe would be a big tower that you have to climb.

OnPoint

It's hugely important for Sony's VR, isn't it?

It's got Sony themselves behind it, even if they're not developing it.

Let's be real: It's going to be $60.

UCBooties

Around announcement I would have guessed $30 download, now with how long they're taking for development and the push that Sony has given them I would expect a full $60 title. The only thing I'm wondering at this point is if Sony is going to commit for a full retail version. I've seen a few placeholders online but I don't think there's been an official announcement yet.

It's going to be free. But spaceship fuel will have to be meticulously harvested or purchased for a small fee.

You are a bad, bad person... :-(

Struct09

I'm guessing it will be $60 and it will justify its price, just like The Witness is easily worth its $40 asking price.

RulkezX

Around announcement I would have guessed $30 download, now with how long they're taking for development and the push that Sony has given them I would expect a full $60 title. The only thing I'm wondering at this point is if Sony is going to commit for a full retail version. I've seen a few placeholders online but I don't think there's been an official announcement yet.

The development time is more down to the studio size.

jesus christ

How people feel about worth is completely subjective.

Hoje0308

Banned
Same here; and I almost wish they'd release an alpha version already. $60 (80 Canadian, yikes) is quite steep for something that isn't touting AAA budgets and feats. It's like paying an IMAX ticket for your entire family for the slow-burn horror flick It Follows.

Name a AAA game that's even attempting to imitate the scope of NMS.

Nibel

Way too much for an indie title.

tumblr_inline_o0kkmbvcbjj7.gif

You clearly have 0 idea of what goes into these games, indie or not.

The End

Would happily pay $60, would be pleasantly surprised by $30-40 though.

I think, like the witness and Darius Burst CS, a lot of people have problems with a digital-only game being $60.

LewieP

I expect it will be $60, likely with some kind of more expensive collectors edition available.

Any less and they would be leaving money on the table.

Edit: I very much doubt NMS will be digital only. It will get a retail release.

georly

Really really really hope 2016 is the year where the thought process of 'indie = cheap' starts to go away.

Indie just means they don't have a big publisher controlling them. In no way does that mean the game doesn't have enough content to justify full price. You pay these people for the amount of work they put into the game and what they think the game is worth, based on that.

Witness started off with 40, which will hopefully get gears turning in people's heads. NMS should be 60 (assuming it has a lot of stuff to do) and get people to start accepting that GAMES ARE GAMES no matter who makes them.

Apathy

Wtf kind of thinking is that? What does it being an indie matter if it costs 20, 40 or 60? Why do AAA games, even shit ones, deserve to be 60 but an amazing indie can't be worth that?

SkylineRKR

It seems The Witness offers more gameplay than AAA games such as The Order and Ryse. And also possibly the likes of Infamous. I don't see a problem with its pricing if the game is good and not byte sized.

Why do indies have to be priced lower than AAA games
Some indie games are better than some AAA games

Maybe something to do with lower distribution costs meaning they can charge less than a $60 retail game?

It seems less about content value and more about digital only games should have a lower price due to lower costs to the developer. Savings that some gamers feel should be passed onto them.

paulogy

They could easily charge $60, or anything else they want, but I think a sweet spot might be $40 digitally, and $60 retail with some sort of "deluxe edition" type pack-ins (art book, soundtrack, etc.).

with the amount of stuff this game provides. It damn well be $60. They deserve the money and i hope they release DLC packs to piss you off.

Get outtaa here with $20-30.

Where my denzal serious looking face meme gif

Falchion

I'm expecting $60 which means I won't be getting it for a while. Unless there's a ton of gameplay I haven't seen I'd pay about $30 for it.

padlock

About 'The Witness'. What people need to realize is that certain products (i.e. very difficult puzzle games with no hand holding) appeal to a relatively small percent of the user base and thus need to be priced higher (relative to their production budget) in order to be profitable. I have no problem paying more for a niche product because I understand that it's necessary.

Having said that, No Man's Sky appears like it should have fairly wide appeal.

Top Bottom