• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much will No Man's Sky cost?

Senoculum

Name a AAA game that's even attempting to imitate the scope of NMS.

The scope of NMS is vast and exciting, but it's all programming and procedural, and Sony bought into it because of its unique factor. Minecraft is in the similar vein and offers limitless opportunities.

It's much, much more expensive to create assets, cast actors, and sending your creative team to capture, record, and develop textures, architecture, and build a narrative.

Apathy

Sad, isn't it?

Yup, people way too happy to give giant multinational companies 60+ dollars but if it went to a small independent studio that is privately owned, fuck them, they only get 20 if I'm feeling generous. It's the dumbest thing ever to judge a game based only on if it has a publisher or not.

daveo42

Banned
It's an indie game, so it would be a bad decision to sell it for anything higher than $20 or else it'll get pirated to hell and back because indie games aren't worth that much.

Catdaddy

I’ve always been under the impression that it’ll be a $60 title as well. If that is true, within an hour of the announcement 10 threads will pop up on why $60 is too high.

You're dreaming. Why do titles not published by EA or Ubi have to be under $60?

What if The Order: 1886 was published by Devolver, would you expect $20 to $30?

What if The Witness was published by Ubisoft, would you expect $60?

I don't understand this line of thinking.

I think is has more to do with production values and expectations. 100 man team v 12 maybe. If the game is worth it then it is worth it. But be that theory that the size and scope of the game does not impact console retail game price is absurd. Sure plenty of people will buy it at $60 but if it is $40 will more than 40% (rounding up from 33%) more buy it at release window? If so the $40 price point may be better. This is coming from a standpoint of norms. Most indie games are not full price due to multiple reasons and the consumer is aware and expects this.

Want to know something incredibly funny about this thread in a way? When ratchet and clank was announced to be $40 people were losing there shit saying the game would have less content because of the price tag. Some people were legit worried because the game wasn't full "AAA" price. Now we have indies here getting bigger in scope, challenging the big dogs and they shouldn't be able to charge full price because of a label "indie" Not really related in anyway just thought it was kinda funny.

Maloney

For me it's this or Elite, as I have no idea when Elite is arriving on ps4 I was going to give NMS a try.

There's things like pop in that bothers me with NMS so I'm not willing pay £45-50 on release day. I'll wait until I see a few reviews and hear feedback on GAF.

However, if NMS was to release at £20-25 I would likely get it on release regardless.

Want to know something incredibly funny about this thread in a way? When ratchet and clank was announced to be $40 people were losing there shit saying the game would have less content because of the price tag. Some people were legit worried because the game wasn't full "AAA" price. Now we have indies here getting bigger in scope, challenging the big dogs and they shouldn't be able to charge full price because of a label "indie" Not really related in anyway just thought it was kinda funny.

Its all catering to expectations and past experiences.

Tigress

I really don't understand the mentality that indie games should be priced much cheaper than triple A games.

I'm not even a big fan of indie games and I don't get this bs. A game is worth as much as it entertains me. Not on if it is AAA or not. There are several AAA games I don't think are worth more than 20 and no one whines about them being overpriced (linear games that last maybe 20 hours with very little replayability). They may say they'll wait til it is cheaper (which is what I do) but they don't get this entitled attitude of being offended on principle that the AAA game dares to ask for 60.

RulkezX

Completely off topic, but a lot of you sure have let your imaginations run wild when it comes to NMS.

Shouldn't we wait for more than pretty videos of a ship flying to colourful world #378432 before praising the limitless possibilities and scope.

We haven't seen near enough of this game to know what sort of price point is fair.

muteki

All of this is pretty crazy looking back to when I was a kid and didn't have a clue who made the games I bought and it was 60-70$ a cart.

Expecting 40-60, or maybe even PSVR pack-in.

The price will be the least of this games problems when it releases. Way overhyped by Sony.
It is? Could have sworn the actual developer has been the only one showing it off and not trying to overhype it. Seems more like people are hyping it either because it excites them or they think a potential of a billion billion procedural planets is magic.

Completely off topic, but a lot of you sure have let your imaginations run wild when it comes to NMS.

Shouldn't we wait for more than pretty videos of a ship flying to colourful world #378432 before praising the limitless possibilities and scope.

We haven't seen near enough of this game to know what sort of price point is fair.
No! Im sure people have seen plenty enough all ready, there are tons of videos out there.

Shirow

Banned
After seeing The Witness for $40, I'm scared NMS will be $60. Way too much for an indie title. Even $40 is too much.

$20-$30 will be a sweet spot for me.

This is what is somewhat bad about the whole indie label. They are just games. Gamers have begun to associate indie with cheap. When in fact some of these games can actually provide more content than retail releases.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's not a matter of contents or something else, it's a matter of perceived value and sadly people think that an indie game has to be cheap.
The unlimited content is not really as huge as some think, yes you can visit unlimited planets but they aren't hand made, they are procedurally generated.

I'm not saying it has to be cheap, i hope its developers will gain everything they deserve for their hard work, i'm just explaining the reason why some people think that 40$ or more is too much.

IvanJ

Banned
I expect it to be $60. And I'm ready to pay that much day one. That game certainly promises to justify that pricepoint.
And I'm pretty sure that they will not cut content out to sell it as a $40 season pass, so it will be very easy for me to give them my money.

Kalren

I expect $60.

Just because it's not being released by one of the Major publisher doesn't diminish what the game is.

But I do hope it's $40 since the Canadian dollar is so poor currently.

BadHand

I'm not sure that NMS is going to have the scope some people are expecting. There are lots of "infinite" procedurally generated games out there that just feel repetitive after a few hours. I would love to be wrong as the concept sounds amazing.

Grylvak

Well Sony is treating No Man's Sky as if it were a first party title so I wouldn't be surprised if it was $60. To be fair I expect every/most games to be $60 until otherwise mentioned.

I hate to get emotional about a post on a forum but, wtf is wrong with people? Stop telling devs how to price their games.

I expect the game to be 60 dollars like every other game. If it's less for some reason then great.

Ah, here we go again. I guess we will never agree that people have different opinions on how much a game is worth.

By the way, I would gladly pay $60 for this (although I think $40 would be the best price for what we've seen), but I would pay $15 max for The Witness.

Top Bottom