• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

Dysun

I've only played one Dynasty Warriors game (Gundam 3), and enjoyed it. I'll pick this up when I get the console at some point

Loudninja

I think this game could be fun or it could be totally awful, but neither result is entirely dependent on the history of the two series it mashes together.

There have been good DW games and bad DW games. Until we find out where this one puts it's focus and aren't going off a single trailer without a final name, it's pretty impossible to say.
Agreed, this looks early but I am very interested in it.

BPoole

Is this some sort of elaborate joke? Is Nintendo seriously so bankrupt of innovation that they are willing to green light a god damn LOZ Dynasty Warriors game???

jay

Nätso;94019101 said:
But that's why the media was created and released to the public in the first place...

You don't make an announcement trailer with gameplay unless you're trying to build interest in the title.

If the gameplay trailer fails to do that, then that's not a good sign.

You are only allowed to like something based on little information.

Jarate

Banned
You realize you don't have to end every sentence with an exclamation point?

Why are you so invested in this game that you're taking mild criticism as some sort of personal insult?

How dare I defend a game that I like on a video game board! That's unheard of

NeonZ

Considering the insane amount of games in this franchise (and related series: Gundam, One Piece, Battlestorm, Orochi, Samurai, and there's probably more), I am really surprised they're not doing much different in the various releases.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles for 3ds followed the same basic gameplay set up as other Warrior titles, with most of the fighting engine taken directly from Samurai Warriors 3, but it had the player switching between and giving orders to 4 officers in different points of a battlefield and also gave much more importance to fulfilling objectives (often giving the player more than one at once). The whole set up stands out quite a bit from other Musou titles (although the amount of troops was also lower than usual), although the core gameplay was still the same.

Actually, you can say you don't personally like the game, but you can't say it's "awful" because you have literally no experience with the game

If I was to listen to Bound by Kanye, would that give me a good reason to despise his music and call it awful?

He said it looked awful. His opinions are not invalid simply because you disagree with them.

People complaining about the graphics need to remember the games of this series have NEVER been graphical showcases on any platform they've been on.

heyf00L

The WU can do better, and they have proven it with other games. I don´t know if this early look should be looked upon as the final product.

Can you point to any game that's had a massive visual improvement after its announcement? Everyone always says this, but I've never seen it happen.

Madouu

Is this some sort of elaborate joke? Is Nintendo seriously so bankrupt of innovation that they are willing to green light a god damn LOZ Dynasty Warriors game???

They gave up after imagining the definitive character of all videogame characters, Cranky Kong. It sucked all the innovation out of every single one of their developers.

What a crossover. Sad to see that we are getting this instead of a proper Zelda game.

It was already announced that Zelda U is going to be shown in some form at next e3. Also, it's a good thing we're not getting it as early as this Musou game since it would be a clear sign of it being rushed a la Wind Waker.

Jarate

Banned
Yeah man, you can definitely have that opinion. Everyone can critique a piece of media regardless of what sort of background they have.

alright, the next time there's a Kanye thread im going to go shit it up with opinions that are based on practically 0 knowledge. Because it's fine apparently!

How dare I defend a game that I like on a video game board! That's unheard of

How can you like a game you know nothing about?

(See how silly this is?)

People are going to have varying opinions, especially when a game is based on a series that has a rather spotty history in terms of quality.

I have never played a musou game but I've heard positive things about some of the entries (I think Empires?). Since it's a character/universe I'm familiar with I'm pretty interested. I wonder how muh content it will have. Did they say whether it was a $60 retail game or a smaller eShop game?

I actually really like the game's visuals. They look toy-like.

Looks like trash.

LoZ deserves a much better than spin off than some D tier franchise like dynasty warriors.

Fire Emblem would have fit better if they had to make a DW spinoff game anyways.

jay

He said it looked awful. His opinions are not invalid simply because you disagree with them.

Apparently that poster is often asked to speak for the entire human race. Because of this, when he doesn't explicitly preface everything he says with "I think," people become confused and assume he is making an objective statement.

Jarate

Banned

His opinions though are not valid in any sense because he has no fucking clue what he's talking about.

Like I said, should i go into a Wonderful 101 thread and talk about how stupid and repetitive the game is even though ive only seen 1 video of the game.

PBY

Banned
alright, the next time there's a Kanye thread im going to go shit it up with opinions that are based on practically 0 knowledge. Because it's fine apparently!

If you listen to an album, and don't like it, then you definitely can have an opinion regardless of what your Kanye knowledge is.

I can look at that trailer, and have a reaction based on what Nintendo showed me. Am I not allowed to think the graphics look bad because I don't play a lot of DW games?

Tiu Neo

Fire emblem mosou is better idea, at least more characters to choose from.

i dont know who is can be playble besides Link????

Zelda, Sheik, alternative Links, Ganondorf, Kotake/Koume, Ghirahim... it really depends on the time period(s) the game represent.

Also, Tingle. Must have playable Tingle.

Conezays

Put me in the "not impressed" category. Not sure if showing some B-tier Warriors spinoff was best showcase for first "Zelda" reveal on the Wii U...though I guess Nintendo Land could technically count.

Gamerloid

indeed, I'm not against Zelda Musou per-sé, how could am I?! I've not played this one neither previous ones to judge them ex-ante. The point is: Wii U 2014 games should not look like this, they should look much better.

With the title not even final, the graphical details shouldn't be as well. Lots of graphical errors in the trailer too. With no release date but 2014, development might still be too early to judge on graphics.

no guys seriously dat scarf tho.

Ok for characters i am thinking:

Goron Slow brawler

Deku Magic/poison/elemental user

Gerudo Female scythe

Kokiri ranged bow user

Skull Kid magic users

Zora ranged?

Zelda magic/Shiek Dagger user

Guevara

It's not hard to imagine Nintendo commissioned this game specifically because a "real" Zelda won't be ready for a while.

I also don't think it's a stretch to be somewhat upset with Nintendo if this is what they need to do to fill their pipeline of games.

Yeah man, you can definitely have that opinion. Everyone can critique a piece of media regardless of what sort of background they have.

Your friend can have the opinion that the lump on your neck is nothing to worry about.

A doctor can have the opinion that you should probably get it tested.

Doesn't mean that both opinions are equally valuable

Tiu Neo

What about Vaati the Wind Mage? That dude was pretty bad ass.

Could be. I was citing OoT characters because the style reminds me of that, and edited Ghirahim after that because his moveset would be cool, but the game would sure benefit from using characters from the whole series timeline. More variety this way.

Jarate

Banned
How can you like a game you know nothing about?

(See how silly this is?)

People are going to have varying opinions, especially when a game is based on a series that has a rather spotty history in terms of quality.

I actually do know enough about the musou games to know most likely how this game is going to be played

now it could be good or bad, I have no clue, maybe it'll be the worst thing ever and literally cause the crash of the games industry. It's a possibility, but hey maybe it can happen.

But really, you can have opinions about things, but there's no need to shit on an entire franchise of games that are actually fairly good. But of course, people on here will remember their Game Informer reviews from when they were 14 and won't actually try these games out.

PKrockin

I always thought a lot of people were joking, exaggerating, or being sarcastic when they shat on DW and actually thought it was just mediocre or niche in the few discussions I've seen, but damn, people really do think it's complete garbage.

Nätso

His opinions though are not valid in any sense because he has no fucking clue what he's talking about.

Like I said, should i go into a Wonderful 101 thread and talk about how stupid and repetitive the game is even though ive only seen 1 video of the game.

You can call it the worst game in the world. It really doesn't matter to anyone but yourself.

jay

I also don't think it's a stretch to be somewhat upset with Nintendo if this is what they need to do to fill their pipeline of games.

In their defense, making HD games is hard.

I actually do know enough about the musou games to know most likely how this game is going to be played

You just argued that we know nothing at all and therefore cannot be down on this game but now you know a lot about this title?

Riki

Nintendo does the same thing with their franchises and people complain.
Nintendo tries something new and people say it' damaging the brand.

I don't care. This looks amazing. Love the Musou series and this looks perfect.

careksims

I was like whoa. I love the Dynasty Warrior games. I love Zelda. DAY FUCKIN ONE! Hopefully they'll let you play other characters too. I just want to play as Zelda.

Top Bottom