• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

Beth Cyra

My main worry is they better have different characters and not just sit content with Link using different weapons.

I need Smash Dorf with Darkness Punch that ruins everyones life.

Silent protagonists are meant to be the personification of the player actually playing the game. You're the one folding the story out, not link. It's also one of the reasons of Link's ambiguous design.

Honestly there are very few writers who can write a likeable protagonist, so I'd rather them shut up
Yes, I know why it exists. I just think it's bullshit born out of a time when such things where needed.

Any more it feels archaic. I'm not Link, I'm not a character in Skyrim. I'm a person sitting in a chair playing a game, I don't need to pretend I'm fighting some dragon. I live with myself every day of my life, I don't need to be me in another world as well.

I'm starting to grow a serious resentment against Nintendo for their refusal to step outside of Mario/Zelda/DK/Mii games. It's like they really don't understand what a huge portion of their audience wants. Granted, this is just for their spring games but it's been over a year already without an interesting new IP on the Wii U from Nintendo themselves.

TreIII

My main worry is they better have different characters and not just sit content with Link using different weapons.

Me too. One character could get old quick.

It'd be a total waste of potential, in my opinion. Half of the appeal of Musou is the fanservice and characters.

Besides, with Shin Gundam Musou finally making the likes of Big Zam playable? I WANT TO PLAY AS THE TRIDENT-WIELDING BLUE BOAR. NO EXCUSES.

now we need an a Bizarro-Peach saying "I love going on message boards and getting really excited about games I've never played" and we can put that picture to rest

now we need an a Bizarro-Peach saying "I love going on message boards and getting really excited about games I've never played" and we can put that picture to rest

The difference is that everything has potential to be good. People are excited for what the games they see could become. People who shit on a game beforehand ignore that fact and automatically label it as bad. Big difference.

TheZjman

Banned
Might have already been noted but the trailer for this has around 360k views already.

For comparison, Mario Kart 8 has around 25k. Holy cow.

Narras

I hope this game has a local co-op mode. The first musou game I played was DW: Gundam 2 and I had a ton of fun playing that game with my brother in co-op mode.

Might have already been noted but the trailer for this has around 360k views already.

For comparison, Mario Kart 8 has around 25k. Holy cow.

Well its been trending in JP and US since this morning and still is, even w/ some time in the Worldwide section. People are getting word of it pretty quickly.

I'm still annoyed this never released in North America. I really want to play this. Sure I could mod the Wii and import it but not sure how text heavy it would be. I remember thinking it was.
The import was worth it IMO. The game is very text heavy though. Took me forever to navigate the menus. The story was... you know.. in Japanese, but the gameplay man. The fucking giant monsters being diced up. Sooo gooooood.

They don't make Sengoku Basara, Capcom does.
Someone's never played ZnR ;]

AGITΩ

So since this was in the direct, we can expect this before August right? Since this Direct was focused on Spring 2014 titles....
Will Buy day 1. Love Musou games.
Fire Emblem Musou Next please!

iFirez

AGITΩ;94058743 said:
So since this was in the direct, we can expect this before August right? Since this Direct was focused on Spring 2014 titles....
Will Buy day 1. Love Musou games.
Fire Emblem Musou Next please!

I assumed the same thing - but I think it looked super rough and early. The Link model looked good, but the enemies all looked like copy and paste stand in assets from other Zelda games that didn't make much sense within the art style... also wtf at that Dodongo.

Overall though it's an interesting idea and while it feeds us Zelda fans while we wait for the true Zelda Wii U reveal (likely at E3) it has a lot to live up to I feel.

I have been reading this thread all day and am kind of loving how, whenever there's a "This is a disgrace" comment, it is usually followed immediately by a "I fucking love this" comment.

Riki

I have been reading this thread all day and am kind of loving how, whenever there's a "This is a disgrace" comment, it is usually followed immediately by a "I fucking love this" comment.

I was just thinking this!
GAF is really divided.
Personally, I think it looks amazing. I've been waiting for a Nintendo Musou game for years.

Lynd7

This could tell the story of one of the wars of Hyrule, could be kinda cool if they go that route. Although, I am kinda doubting they will.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Capcom's Basara team should've handled this, Basara is the best beat em up of this kind I've ever played.

Toki767

Why are people excited for this?

rypjkh.gif

Boss Man

I just want to reiterate how utterly terrible I think this game looks.

I would have much preferred a normal Dynasty Warriors game, but I guess being able to borrow the Zelda IP for sales is probably what motivated them to make the game at all.

ohlawd

lol it's like the dev copy pasted King Dodongo from N64 OoT.

I think he's the worst looking part of the game by far. This is some N64 texture bullshit.

CorvoSol

You could make a theorem about proportionate salt and hype and get it named after yourself. Three years from now, first post in threads would just be "SAlbertosalttheorem.gif"

This game has to be decent. Surely Nintendo wouldn't allow one of their big IPs to be in a crappy game. And don't anyone mention Other M....

Raysoul

The scarf reminds me of the first Link in the manga included on Hyrule Historia

*image removed, might not be allowed as it is a scan*

Which happens to be my favorite design of Link. Will get this title as long as it is fun. Fuck the haters.

Village

Silent protagonists are meant to be the personification of the player actually playing the game. You're the one folding the story out, not link. It's also one of the reasons of Link's ambiguous design.

Honestly there are very few writers who can write a likeable protagonist, so I'd rather them shut up

Link has been a character for forever doe. With personalities.

At first that argument would have merit. Now it just seems to be mostly used for people to hide behind away the fact that even nintendo in large strides has abandoned the notion of you being link , rather than you controlling link.

" b-but that is what he is supposed to be"

he hasn't been that way for a long as time, and nintendo continuously keeps making him less like you invasion him in your nostalgia in each iteration.

There has been links who have talked.

he already broke taboo.

Its people at nintendo are starting to discover that Minamoto's design philosophy should extend mechanics not characters.

Seik

Banned
I'm still stunned at how unexpected this is.

Some may be thinking this is brand milking, I see this as an opportunity to appreciate the musou genre in a totally different way. The whole thing just screams ''why not?!''.

Top Bottom