• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I find it hard to accept the idea of paying for online multiplayer on consoles

crinale

Well matchmaking is never free and never was. It is always company's decision where to charge the cost (to end users, support by ads or just let it eat into their profit).
But yeah if you don't like paying online you'd stick to PC gaming or mobile.

petran79

Banned
Yeah, while Valve has no "Xbox Live Compute" equivalent, it does offer a peer-to-peer networking system, complete with matchmaking and lobby support.

It also support free cloud saves, while on PSN you need to have a + subscriptipn.

Very expensive to have few MB of save games on your PSN online account for free...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I had ps+ on ps3 long before it was a requirement for online. So honestly it being a requirement for online doesn't bother me, I would have had plus anyway.

You're not bothered the previously excellent PS+ has went to shit because it's required for online play?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'm really not trying to be difficult. I would like a reason that doesn't defy logic or an investment.

Why?

Nope. He never stated that. That was you high-jacking his position. Untwist for a moment.
Secondly, my grasp in my own analogy is just fine. Your extrapolation into the taxation of water is something that I am also very familiar with. As in here in California (never mind globally) we pay for water privileges, and then are fined for the use of it. If you don't know what you are talking about, excuse yourself.
I wasn't then, nor am I now engaged in a conversation about who's opinion is being crammed down whom ever's throat. The topic is about the very same thing you are complaining about. Discuss it or don't.
My question has been simple, who is paying for this "free" gaming? And why is something being "free" a right, and not a privilege to be graciously reciprocated in some measure?
Ain't shit in life free.

I cant help you if you think of it to be denying logic then.

I don't get how the inability to resell on PC is such an awful thing to some people. Some of us don't impulse buy everything we see, and actually wait to find out if a game is up our alley. I don't think I have once sold a game; my entire physical library has some sort of sentimental value to me. By extension, digital only on PC has never really felt like a bad tradeoff to me.

Reselling has got nothing to do with online in the first place so i have no idea why it was bring up.

I would have bought a PS4, but as soon as they announced that ps+ will be required for online-play at E3 I got my self a nice PC.

and the funny part is, that online-play on ps3 is still free(so it is on Vita) and afaik psn doesn't run any better on ps4, as it does on ps3.
Thats the thing. PS3 and Vita can have free online play, what makes PS4 so special here?

I am getting my money's worth in free PS3 and PS4 games that are worth far more than the €40 I pay a year, as well as plus member PSN discounts that save me at least half that amount (likely the full amount for people that buy much on PSN), so the ability to play online is just a bonus. Miles above what Microsoft did for most of the lifetime of the 360 (where you literally paid only to be able to play online and some convinience features).

Yakuza 5 and Siren: Blood Curse alone were worth the money this year, especially because the latter is extremely hard/expensive to get in Germany. And then you add in games like Furi, RE Remake and Rebel Galaxy. And if I ever buy a cheap Vita in a few years I will already have a huge ass library for it. Heck, I even re-subbed despite being in Japan and not being able to use my consoles for almost nine months.

I grew up strictly playing consoles, and this is one of the main reasons why I moved on to PC gaming years ago and haven't looked back. If you don't agree with it, don't support it. Vote with your $.

wildfire

Banned
What a bullshit statement people like to throw around. The same kinds of shit cost money on PC when XBL came out too. "Free" online was pretty much just battle.net and typing in IP addresses for quake servers. services like this all cost money back then.

Now they don't, but hey, OP, don't pay for online on consoles. If I didn't enjoy GWG/PS+ titles, I wouldn't pay for it either. Anything that isn't going to be dead on PC (Cod style games basically) I always just buy on PC regardless.

This is disingenuous.

Multilayer on pc is free until you desire to support other people even when you aren't playing.

The only thong consoles got right is offering a unified communications platform long before Steam got it right.

I'm glad Nintendo doesn't charge because the typical costs of hosting can be covered in the box sale easily.

If nintendo changes their mind i hope they actually offer features that isn't consistently done on pc.

I would love if old games got lifetime multi-player support even through hardware revisions.

I would love it if the fee went to making more accessible dev tools so players can make various mods.

Features like that would go a long way in making paying for multi-player acceptable.

Then vote with your wallet I guess. I'd like to fire up a few rounds of Uncharted 4, but I'm not going to support Sony's needless charging for multiplayer. I kept Plus for the games until the quality of those dropped, and I won't go back.

jelly

I don't particularly care about the games with gold except maybe a few decent choices but I've mostly played the ones I want and on Xbox One, it's renting so I'm just collecting or finding an odd gem.

It's their platforms and they can do want they want as they have no competition on the platform, dedicated servers is a step in the right direction, cloud saving too. I get Steam does all this for free in most cases, you can argue dedicated servers are game dependent like consoles, although you can play on free servers, someone is paying for them. Console platforms are still 100% taking the piss with ads, opt in would be fair and proper customisation of screen space. They need to invest in the community more, mods etc. with that extra income.

I still argue Microsoft particularly would see much greater success if they scrap online play from gold and make Xbox more appealing. Hoping one day they'll make that announcement at E3, come on Scorpio double mic drop.

It's clear Microsoft and Sony see value in online play, not games with gold/PS+ games. I've said for years, held hostage because that's what gamers actually want access to. They know it.

Rellik

I am getting my money's worth in free PS3 and PS4 games that are worth far more than the €40 I pay a year, as well as plus member PSN discounts that save me at least half that amount, so the ability to play online is just a bonus. Miles above what Microsoft did for most of the lifetime of the 360 (where you literally paid only to be able to play online and some convinience features).

Yakuza 5 and Siren: Blood Curse alone were worth the money this year, especially because the latter is extremely hard/expensive to get in Germany. And then you add in games like Furi, RE Remake and Rebel Galaxy. And if I ever buy a cheap Vita in a few years I will already have a huge ass library for it. Heck, I even re-subbed despite being in Japan and not being able to use my consoles for almost nine months.

Then make that a separate service like EA Access. It shouldn't be tied to the ability to play online.

thenexus6

I kinda wish xbox live and PSN had two tiers

Xbox live / PS - free online play £/$0

Xbox live Gold / PS+ - "free" games every month, extra discounts in sales, preload preorders £/$ current price

MUnited83

For you.
I am someone who has actually developed games and has seen what MS provides to devs for "free." It is really nice that they've built a whole infrastructure for online play, such that the devs can basically flip a switch and boom, you have online play in your game. Things like TrueSkill matching happen behind the scenes and they just work. I have no idea how Sony does theirs, but Xbox devs don't have to pay for any of this, so they've pushed the cost onto the players who are actually using the service. It sort of makes sense; the more people that are using it, the more money is coming in to help maintain it.

XBL multiplayer is so seamless and works so well that I have no problem paying for it. I also like the fact that the online play in X360 games from 2005 still works. Namco doesn't have to maintain servers for Ridge Racer 6, as XBL handles everything automatically. Surely, that is worth something. So I pay for it.

I understand why there are people who are at odds with the idea, especially the folks who've been playing on PC for years. But if you're developing a PC game and you want online play in it, you've got to set up servers and you've got to maintain them. Xbox Live negates that need. If you're a dev, and all you want are leaderboards and peer-to-peer online play on Xbox, you don't need to maintain anything. Microsoft runs the servers, the players pay for it, and you get it for free. Interesting how things work...
False. Steamworks allows for this for free.

StereoVsn

They don't.

They want to charge for online multiplayer. Because it makes a lot of money.

Erm, you should read this.
To be fair if we are talking about dedicated servers Steam won't pay for that. Otherwise Steamworld is a fantastic proposition and a big reason everyone is going to Steam. I think Origin offers similar services but not 100% sure.

Personally since I have PS3, Vita and a PS4, plus I take advantage of PS+ discounts, overall the $40/year I normally pay for PS+ is worth it even without MP. There is usually something I check out once a month and discounts easily cover my yearly spend anyway.

I do think that MP should be provided as a part of basic service li.e things like Steamworks framework should be free. PS+ should include enhancements like Dedicated Servers and such. However since MP being locked beside the paywall is an accepted standard at this point, I don't see it changing.

The cost to play online is basically one Starbucks coffee... a month.

I have so much fun playing online with (mostly GAF) friends that the value proposition makes sense to me.

We're talking about pc like it's always been free, but I remember paying for the All Seeing Eye server browser, and chipping in with buddies to "rent" server space in Battlefield 1942, etc...

How about you just pay me a starbucks coffee a month for me posting here?

Sounds absurd doesn't it.

That's what it sounds like to me when I hear you pay for multiplayer.

simmias

As I've gotten older, I find that I have more money and much less free time. I'm willing to pay a landscaper since it frees up time. I'm willing to pay a housekeeper since it frees up time. Money buys convenience and time.

I do not want to spend the limited time I have for gaming on configuring settings to get games to work. I just want to pop in a game and play. And if that means I have to pay $30-40 a year to do so, then I'm happy to pay it.

I feel like PS+ was great until they added in online gaming to the package. Since then the service felt more like a requirement rather than a benefit. I said it when MS charged for their service, but holding your online only games hostage like that doesn't feel right to me all. I'm going to stop buying them and probably let my subscription expire. Honestly I wouldn't mind just paying $10 for an online pass for the games I cared about like last gen.

As I've gotten older, I find that I have more money and much less free time. I'm willing to pay a landscaper since it frees up time. I'm willing to pay a housekeeper since it frees up time. Money buys convenience and time.

I do not want to spend the limited time I have for gaming on configuring settings to get games to work. I just want to pop in a game and play. And if that means I have to pay $30-40 a year to do so, then I'm happy to pay it.

giphy.gif

I guess some people just want to waste their time with day one patches for physical copy console games and XBOX Live/PSN's terrible download speeds, which combined basically render all console gaming advantages moot. And I respect that. But let's not spread bullshit about PC gaming.

I kinda wish xbox live and PSN had two tiers

Xbox live / PS - free online play £/$0

Xbox live Gold / PS+ - "free" games every month, extra discounts in sales, preload preorders £/$ current price

Best case scenario. Hopefully it happens

Edit: GWG and PS Plus rarely have anything I enjoy. Only games I've put significant time into were olli olli, furi, gone home, NBA 2k16, and resogun. Everything else was meh imo

MUnited83

For you.
I signed up for PS+ before I even knew I needed it for multiplayer. I like the free games.

Also with "free" online multiplayer and services, it's always coming out of somebody's pocket. ISP's, gaming websites and other media companies might run servers for publicity and good will. Sometimes clans and fans host servers out of love for a game and a desire to keep the player base alive. I have several friends who run their own ded servers in the cloud or at home. This is all possible due to free, readily available server software on PC. I don't see console manufacturers ever allowing such an open platform.
With "paid" online multiplayer it's also coming out of somebody's else pocket. You are not paying the devs that actually run dedicated servers.

This is honestly what's keeping me away from XBOX/PS, but I really don't feel like I'm missing anything because of it, I'll just find other games to play on pc and Nintendo systems.

IMO the business model is broken. I refuse to pay to just play online of out principle. So they're not getting my money for that, but then they're missing out on tons of money they would probably get from all the multiplayer content I would buy if the act of playing it was free. And I'm sure I'm not the only one in that situation. I'm sure they'd make tons more money of whales paying for online content than a standard user base paying a fixed monthly fee.

Online multiplayer is more ubiquitous than it ever was, where even single player games keep adding more and more multiplayer components to them.

They really should be looking at the mobile market and how "free" games are the ones bringing in the most cash. They should offer online multiplayer for free but find other ways to subsidize it. Hell, I'd be willing to sit through ads if it meant I could play online for free.

simmias

I guess some people just want to waste their time with day one patches for physical copy console games and XBOX Live/PSN's terrible download speeds, which combined basically render all console gaming advantages moot. And I respect that. But let's not spread bullshit about PC gaming.
I guess I wrote that wrong. Are you arguing that gaming on a PC is just as easy and troublefree as gaming on a console?

GLAMr

The thing is, the vast majority of games aren't on dedicated servers on console.
They're P2P.

It's why the online multiplayer charges come across as borderline scamming the ignorant by implying a service is being provided that does not exist, because a lot of people seem pretty sure their online tithe is paying for better online multiplayer, when it literally cannot be.

Wow I had no idea P2P was so widespread on console, that's pretty disgusting. I really only play Bloodborne and Rocket League online; if I had not signed up for GWG and PS+ mainly for the free games, I would be feeling pretty ripped off.

Woo-Fu

Banned
If you weren't paying the multiplayer cover charge they'd charge you somewhere else. Once you're in the walled garden you're going to pay the piper.

I guess I wrote that wrong. Are you arguing that gaming on a PC is just as easy and troublefree as gaming on a console?

I'm saying that the 'configuring games to run on PC takes ages' notion is a relic of the 90s. These days, your GPU drivers update themselves almost seamlessly and 'configuring' a game takes at most a couple of minutes as you go through a couple of detail presets and pick what gives you a good framerate. More than this, it's your own enthusiast fun of fine tuning a game to your system, but it's not a necessity and everyone who does this has fun with it.

MUnited83

For you.
We do get games on Plus though. Sony and Microsoft put money into that, and PSN itself does have servers for things like cloud saving, and logging into the network, your account data etc. It isn't free, but whether the consumers should be paying for it is another issue.

I think as the console services offer more than mere connectivity for your games, it makes sense for Sony and Microsoft to want people to pay for that. Whether the current price represents good value is another issue, but for me I tend to get a lot out of Plus / Games for Gold, so I don't resent the payment.
XBL and Steam offer Cloud Saving for free, only PSN asks money for it.
I have a PS4 and I'd say I actually had a easier and more trouble free experience in my PC.

phen0m24

How about you just pay me a starbucks coffee a month for me posting here?

Sounds absurd doesn't it.

That's what it sounds like to me when I hear you pay for multiplayer.

How good are your posts? ;)

We pay for content (some people still buy newspapers and magazines/aka posts lol), Patreon and Twitch subs, etc. I've never had a problem paying for something I use and want to support. If my measly $4 supports (albeit marginally) the infrastructure I play on daily, again I feel it's worth it because I derive a great deal of value and enjoyment from it.

All that said I hate paying tolls when driving and I hate paying to park my car

:)

eot

Banned
I refuse to do it. Played BB and DS3 without any messages or ghosts. I never summon people anyway so eh

simmias

Yes. Yes, it is. load steam ,click on a game. Play. This is not difficult.
I guess I'm just coming from a place where I've had a hell of a time playing games from GOG on my PC.

On a side note, it's so nice to see how helpful and condescension-free PC gamers are in these threads.

Endo Punk

I think Sony's output and quality of games has increased since last gen. Barely anyone bought PS+ last gen but due to MP requirement they have lot more coming in which allows them to get better content, support more niche games like Yakuza and even better sales. If all we had to do was sacrifice free MP then I am A-OK with that.

LordRaptor

We pay for content (some people still buy newspapers and magazines/aka posts lol), Patreon and Twitch subs, etc. I've never had a problem paying for something I use and want to support. If my measly $4 supports (albeit marginally) the infrastructure I play on daily, again I feel it's worth it because I derive a great deal of value and enjoyment from it.

You're paying shareholders in dividends, and you're paying to employ people in unsuccessful divisions of the parent corporation to stay unsuccessful.

Online behind a paywall actually hurts the people actually making content, because it automatically adds a barrier to entry of people who might otherwise buy their game.
They receive no compensation for making the games that make people want to play online in the first place.

How good are your posts? ;)

All that said I hate paying tolls when driving and I hate paying to park my car

:)

Did you really just compare a multi billion dollar company to content creators relying on crowdfunding?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Cool that you dont want to configure setting to get games to work i guess. I seldom do that when i play games on Steam now as well.

What does this has to do with online subscription for console though? Those subscription helps auto config your game setting?

MUnited83

For you.

For one, you don't need to configure settings to get games to work. This doesn't really happen in 2016. And you have stuff like NVIDIA has that does the optimal configuration for you.
For other, the 30$-40$ you pay have no influence on that whatsoever. And Don't and Microsoft let shitty ports with terrible performance and game breaking bugs on their systems all the time.

phen0m24

Did you really just compare a multi billion dollar company to content creators relying on crowdfunding?

He asked if I would pay him for posting. I explained, that if there is a value in something (whatever that may be, and obviously different strokes for different folks) that it may be worth exchanging $ for. Large company or individual aside.

entremet

Sony and MS basically copy each other all day. I like both companies from a gaming perspective, but it's getting tired. I love how Nintendo just does things differently and hopefully they keep free online. I can't see them charging.

LordKano

I think Sony's output and quality of games has increased since last gen. Barely anyone bought PS+ last gen but due to MP requirement they have lot more coming in which allows them to get better content, support more niche games like Yakuza and even better sales. If all we had to do was sacrifice free MP then I am A-OK with that.

There's zero relations between paying for multiplayer and Sony taking more risks. Absolutely zero.

Yeah I looooathe it.

The fact that they charge you for online play, but in the same package, give you a bunch of bonus games you don't want, along with cloud saves, whatever. Just make the play free.

Top Bottom