• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

First I heard of this, did some googling:

2013-Haswell-variants.jpg

TY for the update!

Ah damn it.

I already regret my Ivybridge purchase already.

Flaxh

It's not vital but I feel unless you're going 120/144Hz then I'd go IPS. The loss in response time is worth it for the viewing angles and colour reproduction. Even then that loss in pixel response time isn't noticeable imo.

Im buying a sub 200€ screen to connect my 360 and new desktop so I'll use it a lot for gaming and watching movies. The Asus vx238h caught my attention because the specs look amazing for its price (170€) but it doesnt have ips. Do you think something like the Dell s2340l would be better?

Thanks for all the help, I would be totally lost without it.

kharma45

Im buying a sub 200€ screen to connect my 360 and new desktop so I'll use it a lot for gaming and watching movies. The Asus vx238h caught my attention because the specs look amazing for its price (170€) but it doesnt have ips. Do you think something like the Dell s2340l would be better?

If you're watching movies I'd look to an IPS, which that Dell isn't either. Does the LG IPS234V-PN.AEK or the LG 24EA53VQ exist in Belgium?

Smokey

I use that asus, or a similar model, with my 360.its great for console gaming. Haven't tried movies on it though.

kharma45

Stock cooler, but have been told I should have it at 4.0 even with stock cooler.

It can just about do it from what I've read yeah. If you're looking to go any further (which the 2500K can easily do) look at something like a Hyper 212. They're extremely cheap for what they offer.

ahayschi

Neo Member
Well, just ordered the 770 4gb off of newegg.ca. Funny, no 770s with 4gb are on PC Part Picker.

My $1,000 PC budget is getting blown out of the water lol.

*that escalated quickly*

Same thing happened with my build! "I'm already spending all of this money, why not a 780 3GB instead of a 770?"

Has any website done a GTX 770 2GB vs GTX 770 4GB comparison yet?

Not that I've found. Many have done 6XX comparisons.

670 comparison
Pointless comparison since they just used ridiculous resolutions to force higher VRAM usage where they then become bound by the fillrate of the GPU. What we need but don't yet have is a game that uses a lot more than 2GB VRAM at sane resolutions (1080p).

qO06VXw.png

The game needs no more than 1.8 gigabytes of graphics memory on our triple-monitor configuration with a resolution of 3240x1920 pixels even if you enable 4x antialiasing. Here are the results:

No wonder there isn't any difference when they're completely bound by the fillrate at these ridiculous resolutions that no one plays at.

imBask

Banned
Same thing happened with my build! "I'm already spending all of this money, why not a 780 3GB instead of a 770?"

pretty much everyones way of thinking when building a new computer haha

might as well just overkill it and keep that PC running a bit longer

Dave_6

Yeah, if you don't mind feeling compelled to spend even more to upgrade your video card later, because games are only running at 60-70 fps.

My current 7970/3570K setup is not overclocked (yet) but runs most of the games I have at 1080p60 (except Tomb Raider and Crysis 3). I have it hooked up to my Pioneer plasma but some games are just not easy to play while sitting on a couch and 9 feet away from the TV. I'm thinking about getting a new, bigger monitor and moving the PC to my other room where my current desktop is at. Maybe then I can get better at some KBM gaming and maybe some 60+ framerates too.

longdi

Banned
Only the <55W parts are supposed to be BGA. Broadwell-D is supposed to be an LGA1150 part.

The latest unconfirmed leak is there will not be a 14nm Broadwell for desktop, instead Intel will be refreshing their desktop with a faster Haswell SKU (2600K to 2700K? Iris Pro?). Not surprising since it does not look like AMD has any chips to compete.

knitoe

Pointless comparison since they just used ridiculous resolutions to force higher VRAM usage where they then become bound by the fillrate of the GPU. What we need but don't yet have is a game that uses a lot more than 2GB VRAM at sane resolutions (1080p).

qO06VXw.png

No wonder there isn't any difference when they're completely bound by the fillrate at these ridiculous resolutions that no one plays at.

Correct. Today, games are programmed limited to 2 VRAM. To force past this limit, you have to use insane AA and/or higher resolution which waste lots of processing power. This won't happen with X1/PS4 games. The only feasible, but highly unoptimized way to test is by taking games running user mods. Skyrim uses 2.5GB with mods, and if you video card has less VRAM, the game would stutter like crazy trying to load and unload data. Once nextgen games comes out, I would expect games to have better textures, better draw distance loading low vs high res and etc. which pushes VRAM to 3-4GB.

It's been far too long. My Core 2 Duo E6600 has served me well, but now it's time for something new. GAF, behold:

m5fta13.jpg

I carefully selected each component and I can't wait to upgrade my PC.

So, the final specs are as follows:

---------- new ----------

MBO: Asus Z87-Pro
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
cooler: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3, 1600MHz

----------remains----------

Case: Antec P183
GPU: XFX Radeon 7850 2GB Black Edition
PSU: Corsair HX520, 520W PSU
HDD1: Seagate Baracuda 320GB, SATA-II
HDD2: Seagate Baracuda 160GB, SATA-II
DVD: Samsung DVD-RW
Display: Dell U2412M, 24” LED 1920x1200
Keyboard: Microsoft Ergo 4000 Natural Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G400

I am sooo psyched! \o/ I'll be doing the upgrade on Friday afternoon (no time during the week :/ ) and I'll post pics here of the build process as well as final setup.

The deed is done, Case Labs S3 ordered and paid for!

Btw. currently in Tokyo now, can some kind soul point me the way to some PC gear shopping/ PC gear scene? Would like to get a Topre keyboard, Happy Hacking or others. Akiba I suppose? Very limited time to shop so would like to know the area with the most potential payoff.

Thanks!

T-Matt

Aesthetically what are some small firm factor cases out there I can look into for a mid to upper range computer? Are the abee cases difficult to import? Mini it or micro is fine.

Mr. Hyde

How should my fan face on the hyper 212 Evo? I have the heat sink vertical and the fan on the left side. It faces the back fan of my fractal R4 case. So, they're face to face at the moment.

scogoth

It's been far too long. My Core 2 Duo E6600 has served me well, but now it's time for something new. GAF, behold:

I carefully selected each component and I can't wait to upgrade my PC.

So, the final specs are as follows:

---------- new ----------

MBO: Asus Z87-Pro
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
cooler: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3, 1600MHz

----------remains----------

Case: Antec P183
GPU: XFX Radeon 7850 2GB Black Edition
PSU: Corsair HX520, 520W PSU
HDD1: Seagate Baracuda 320GB, SATA-II
HDD2: Seagate Baracuda 160GB, SATA-II
DVD: Samsung DVD-RW
Display: Dell U2412M, 24” LED 1920x1200
Keyboard: Microsoft Ergo 4000 Natural Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G400

I am sooo psyched! \o/ I'll be doing the upgrade on Friday afternoon (no time during the week :/ ) and I'll post pics here of the build process as well as final setup.

I'd save the MX-4 and use the NT-H1 that should come with the NH-D14, I find it has more consistent mounting results.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
HX520 is an amazing PSU. Couple of years in it, still going strong without a problem.

I'll try to post as much interesting info as I can. I won't OC though. At least not yet.
Yeah I still have my old one as a test unit in the shop.

*Oh and if the Noctua came with Noctua paste, use that. It's better.
The deed is done, Case Labs S3 ordered and paid for!

Btw. currently in Tokyo now, can some kind soul point me the way to some PC gear shopping/ PC gear scene? Would like to get a Topre keyboard, Happy Hacking or others. Akiba I suppose? Very limited time to shop so would like to know the area with the most potential payoff.

Thanks!
Can you use Amazon.jp and a dropoff box/location?
This might help, but I have no idea: http://www.gdm.or.jp/shop

But off the top of my head I'd imagine Akihabara since it still should have some big electronics stores.

Wallach

How should my fan face on the hyper 212 Evo? I have the heat sink vertical and the fan on the left side. It faces the back fan of my fractal R4 case. So, they're face to face at the moment.

You want the heatsink between the fan and the back of the case. Push the air across the heatsink to be directed out the back of the case. Check your fan facing to make sure this is happening.

I'd save the MX-4 and use the NT-H1 that should come with the NH-D14, I find it has more consistent mounting results.

*Oh and if the Noctua came with Noctua paste, use that. It's better.
NT-H1 better than MX-4? o_O

Proof? Link to some test, etc.?

edit: from what I'm reading off the web, MX-4 is #1 thermal paste that you can buy ATM.

Can you use Amazon.jp and a dropoff box/location?
This might help, but I have no idea: http://www.gdm.or.jp/shop

But off the top of my head I'd imagine Akihabara since it still should have some big electronics stores.

Not sure if amazon.jp takes foreign credit cards, but in anycase would like to physically visit the space. Thanks for the Akiba shop list, would deffo come in handy!

Hello everyone. I have started a massive upgrade project to my 4 year old Gaming / Work rig. I have hit a point where I am unsure of whether I should stick with Windows 7 or grab Windows 8. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Gotchaye

Yeah, if you don't mind feeling compelled to spend even more to upgrade your video card later, because games are only running at 60-70 fps.

Maybe stupid questions, but I note that 144 Hz factors really nicely (2^4*3^2) but isn't an even multiple of 30 or 60.

It having all those low factors means that it can display at smooth framerates of 24, 36, 48, and 72 without any visual oddities just as easily as 144, right?

Would it have any problem with content that's made with 30 Hz monitors in mind, or is it actually better for movies and the like because they tend to be at (I think) 24 Hz anyway?

HoosTrax

I just got a new work laptop...It's so depressing having a laptop more powerful than my gaming rig :(.

i7 3820QM
Quadro K5000M (roughly equal to GTX 680M)
16GB RAM

My rig might just be a bit jealous -- 2500K, 8GB, GTX570. Got a 7970GE on the way to bring it closer to parity. I guess I don't need 16GB of RAM on my home rig.

diehard

Fleer
I just got a new work laptop...It's so depressing having a laptop more powerful than my gaming rig :(.

i7 3820QM
Quadro K5000M (roughly equal to GTX 680M)
16GB RAM

My rig might just be a bit jealous -- 2500K, 8GB, GTX570. Got a 7970GE on the way to bring it closer to parity. I guess I don't need 16GB of RAM on my home rig.

That gpu alone costs more than your home computer.

I hope you do some pretty serious 3d work on it.

scogoth

While Nvidia-based systems will be supported, the company won't be able to develop and distribute updated drivers until after each game is released.

Just means Nvidia won't have access the the game before they are released but Nvidia's driver team has historically been quick at addressing issues and releasing drivers. I wouldn't be worried just means Nvidia drivers will be out a week after release.

bro1

Banned
Cross posting from another thread: "All Frostbite 3 Titles to be 'Exclusively Optimized' for AMD"

So, what does this mean for somebody who plans to play a lot of Frostbite 3 titles and just ordered a 4GB 770? Along with both next gen consoles having AMD innards, should I be worried about my Nvidia card?

If your are a smart PC gamer, you don't buy on launch day and you take advantage of Steam/GMG/Amazon sales. Buy a EA game a few months after launch and you will pay less and it will probably play better due to driver support on both AMD and Nvidia cards.

RoKKeR

If your are a smart PC gamer, you don't buy on launch day and you take advantage of Steam/GMG/Amazon sales. Buy a EA game a few months after launch and you will pay less and it will probably play better due to driver support on both AMD and Nvidia cards.

Considering I'll be away at school for a majority of the year, (without my gaming rig) I just realized I'll be doing most of my game purchases some time after the game actually comes out. Not worried then.

Newegg says the 770 is going to arrive tomorrow!

First time I've upgraded my GPU, pretty excited.

Double D

Considering I'll be away at school for a majority of the year, (without my gaming rig) I just realized I'll be doing most of my game purchases some time after the game actually comes out. Not worried then.

Newegg says the 770 is going to arrive tomorrow!

First time I've upgraded my GPU, pretty excited.

Just curious, what are you upgrading from?

kharma45

Cross posting from another thread: "All Frostbite 3 Titles to be 'Exclusively Optimized' for AMD"

So, what does this mean for somebody who plans to play a lot of Frostbite 3 titles and just ordered a 4GB 770? Along with both next gen consoles having AMD innards, should I be worried about my Nvidia card?

Painful thread at times. Surprised the idea of 'hurr durr AMD has shitty drivers' is still alive and well with so many people

ColR100

The latest unconfirmed leak is there will not be a 14nm Broadwell for desktop, instead Intel will be refreshing their desktop with a faster Haswell SKU (2600K to 2700K? Iris Pro?). Not surprising since it does not look like AMD has any chips to compete.

Question for yourself or mkenyon, but if they do release a Haswell refresh, is there likely to be chips faster than the 4770k within the next 18 months, or is this so called potential refresh more to fill the lower price points?

I'm ordering a new system within the next week (coming from Q6600, DDR2 ram etc), and was initially going to go with the i7 4770K, but now I'm tempted to drop that to the i5 4670K instead and distribute that money elsewhere on the system for the time being.

From benchmarks the HT on the 4770K over the 4670K isn't anything remarkable (although I do use HT'd applications).

So, I'm just asking if my method of i5 4670K now, and a refresh chip that's faster than the 4770K in 18 months is the way to go?

scogoth

Question for yourself or mkenyon, but if they do release a Haswell refresh, is there likely to be chips faster than the 4770k within the next 18 months, or is this so called potential refresh more to fill the lower price points?

I'm ordering a new system within the next week (coming from Q6600, DDR2 ram etc), and was initially going to go with the i7 4770K, but now I'm tempted to drop that to the i5 4670K instead and distribute that money elsewhere on the system for the time being.

From benchmarks the HT on the 4770K over the 4670K isn't anything remarkable (although I do use HT'd applications).

So, I'm just asking if my method of i5 4670K now, and a refresh chip that's faster than the 4770K in 18 months is the way to go?

The 4770K will probably be refreshed but my guess would be a 100MHz bump. A 4770k would overclock just as well as the refresh so its not worth waiting.

kharma45

I would upgrade now. The refresh will likely entail slightly higher clock speeds and iGPU improvements. Maybe slightly less power consumption too.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Upgraded from GTX 590 to Titan. So nice. I had been avoiding 120 FPS because of the fan noise, can crank it up freely now.

Edit: hmm, I checked some benchmark pages and the fan noise is supposed to be the same. Maybe I'm just not putting it under enough strain yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom