• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Pointless comparison since they just used ridiculous resolutions to force higher VRAM usage where they then become bound by the fillrate of the GPU. What we need but don't yet have is a game that uses a lot more than 2GB VRAM at sane resolutions (1080p).

qO06VXw.png

No wonder there isn't any difference when they're completely bound by the fillrate at these ridiculous resolutions that no one plays at.

Yeah, exactly. That's why I was comfortable buying the 2gb 770. But then I bought the 4gb anyway :p

Mr. Hyde

You want the heatsink between the fan and the back of the case. Push the air across the heatsink to be directed out the back of the case. Check your fan facing to make sure this is happening.

Ah. So it should be the opposite side? Back of Case's fan faces the heatsink and the heatsink fan is on the other side.

Flaxh

Well, just ordered the 770 4gb off of newegg.ca. Funny, no 770s with 4gb are on PC Part Picker.

My $1,000 PC budget is getting blown out of the water lol.

*that escalated quickly*

Hahah, that's also happening to me and I'm already trying to find a more expensive display.

If you're watching movies I'd look to an IPS, which that Dell isn't either. Does the LG IPS234V-PN.AEK or the LG 24EA53VQ exist in Belgium?

Why Belgium? I can find the second one here. The ASUS VG23AH also seems like a good option even if I dont care about 3D.

I use that asus, or a similar model, with my 360.its great for console gaming. Haven't tried movies on it though.

Yeah, it seems like the best option under 200€. Do you use it just with the 360?

kharma45

Why Belgium? I can find the second one here. The ASUS VG23AH also seems like a good option even if I dont care about 3D.

I thought I read on your profile you were from Belgium earlier on, realised now I clicked on the wrong person.

That ASUS seems pricey, good but pricey. It's near 120Hz money.

I actually like lower power consumption.

I think overclocking shortened the life of my previous Intel build.

Oh right, I thought you had taken exception with my wording lol.

Flaxh

I thought I read on your profile you were from Belgium earlier on, realised now I clicked on the wrong person.

That ASUS seems pricey, good but pricey. It's near 120Hz money.

I have three of them and use them as a multi monitor setup when pc gaming as well. Great all around gaming monitors.

I can get the VX238H for 170€ and it seems like a really good deal, I'm just trying to find a better one under 250€ that is worth the difference.

Mr. Hyde

Why is there a Jpwr 1, 2 and 3? One is the long connector which is easy to figure out. However, the psu has only one more connector. Do I choose jpwr 2 or 3?

mkenyon

Banned
Why is there a Jpwr 1, 2 and 3? One is the long connector which is easy to figure out. However, the psu has only one more connector. Do I choose jpwr 2 or 3?
A lot of PSUs ship with a 4 pin, an 8 pin, and a 4+4 pin for the CPU connector. This is to allow compatibility with multiple motherboards. Plug in whatever fits. If you have an 8 pin, use the 8 pin. If you have a 4 pin, use the 4 pin. The 4+4 will also work in place of the 8 pin.

Some motherboards have *two* 8 pin connectors, such as dual socket boards or just overclocking oriented boards, which is why powersupplies would have both.

larvi

I want to treat myself and splurge on a new monitor (currently have a Dell 24) that will be used heavily for both text and gaming but really conflicted as it doesn't seem what I want is out there.

Here's what I would like in order of preference:

16:10
>24
120hz refresh.

Was looking at this Doublesight monitor:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/DoubleSight-DS-309W/23510968

Anyone have any experience with this monitor or this brand? It's not 120hz but I don't watch movies and have no interest in 3D features. Does the 120hz help reduce eye strain like it did with CRTs? Or is it strictly a 3D thing?

I like the idea of being able to buy a monitor of this size from Walmart so if I get a dud monitor it's easily returnable.

mkenyon

Banned
Think about the difference between 30fps and 60fps. That's the difference between 60 and 120. Everything looks so smooth, it's almost uncanny.

Unfortunately, you are limited to 24 and 27" 1080p 16:9 monitors only. ASUS and BenQ are the go-to 120/144Hz panels.

If you have an NVIDIA card, you can use lightboost to achieve CRT levels of motion quality.

*edit*

Also, keep in mind, TVs listed at 120Hz aren't really 120Hz panels. They can't display 120Hz images due to HDMI 1.3/1.4 bandwidth.

RoKKeR

Think about the difference between 30fps and 60fps. That's the difference between 60 and 120. Everything looks so smooth, it's almost uncanny.

Unfortunately, you are limited to 24 and 27" 1080p 16:9 monitors only. ASUS and BenQ are the go-to 120/144Hz panels.

If you have an NVIDIA card, you can use lightboost to achieve CRT levels of motion quality.

*edit*

Also, keep in mind, TVs listed at 120Hz aren't really 120Hz panels. They can't display 120Hz images due to HDMI 1.3/1.4 bandwidth.

You also have to run at 120fps, which is unfortunate.

Flaxh

*edit*

What about the Benq LED 24" XL2411T? Also, this is probably a dumb question but I've been reading a lot about hardware recently and I just wanna make sure I'm not doing anything stupid: Will the 120hz refresh rate of the display influence anything on my GPU? Like less FPS or something. And am I able of playing above 60FPS with a 60hz display?

Mr. Hyde

I am so close to having this pc up and running but the case's power switch doesn't turn on. I plugged in the pw switch + and - to my motherboard's adapter and then plugged the adapter into the JFP1. I have the psu turned on and I see lights on my motherboard.

mkenyon

Banned
You also have to run at 120fps, which is unfortunate.
Only the big graphic hog titles can't be ran with 8.3ms frame times. Even then, just turn down a few settings. Improvement in motion quality is as much of a factor in graphical fidelity as anything else. I'd argue more so, but that's subjective.
What about the Benq LED 24" XL2411T? Also, this is probably a dumb question but I've been reading a lot about hardware recently and I just wanna make sure I'm not doing anything stupid: Will the 120hz refresh rate of the display influence anything on my GPU? Like less FPS or something. And am I able of playing above 60FPS with a 60hz display?
That's a great panel. It's actually the same one used in the ASUS in the OP.

mkenyon

Banned
Go with a 30'' 2560x1600 monoprice monitor. Not quite as cheap as buying a panel from korea , but the returns should be easier.

Avoid the one with the scaler unless you really need it.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10235&seq=1&format=2

that one
Though I love a good IPS, I find all these monitors that use that LG panel to look like garbage as soon as the picture starts moving. It's extremely blurry.

Great for browsing GAF, taking bullshots, or just staring at the glory of a barely moving image.
I am so close to having this pc up and running but the case's power switch doesn't turn on. I plugged in the pw switch + and - to my motherboard's adapter and then plugged the adapter into the JFP1. I have the psu turned on and I see lights on my motherboard.
Reverse it, or just plug the cable right on the header, rather than the adapter.

Mr. Hyde

Though I love a good IPS, I find all these monitors that use that LG panel to look like garbage as soon as the picture starts moving. It's extremely blurry.

Great for browsing GAF, taking bullshots, or just staring at the glory of a barely moving image.

Reverse it, or just plug the cable right on the header, rather than the adapter.

Hmm. I've tried both ways and without the adapter but nothing is making the power switch turn on. I am sure I am missing something simple.

appaws

Banned
Painful thread at times. Surprised the idea of 'hurr durr AMD has shitty drivers' is still alive and well with so many people

Even in this thread, oozing knowledge from every post...It seems like half the people who come in here have to be talked into considering the value of AMD cards at the low-mid end because their "brother's cousin's roommate" said the drivers sucked.

It's like not buying a new Fusion because the Pinto sucked.

/end soapbox

mkenyon

Banned
Hmm. I've tried both ways and without the adapter but nothing is making the power switch turn on. I am sure I am missing something simple.
Make sure all of the following are plugged in.

1) CPU 8 pin
2) Motherboard 24 pin
3) VGA 6/6+2 pins
4) RAM seated properly, all the way clicked in.
5) PSU switch in the on position.

If all of those fail, try jumping the two pins with conductive metal. Knives work great.

Mr. Hyde

Make sure all of the following are plugged in.

1) CPU 8 pin
2) Motherboard 24 pin
3) VGA 6/6+2 pins
4) RAM seated properly, all the way clicked in.
5) PSU switch in the on position.

If all of those fail, try jumping the two pins with conductive metal. Knives work great.

I tried hitting the power button that is lit up on the mobo since that is supposed to turn the PC on as well. That didn't work either, so I am thinking maybe something is shorted. Hmm..

Mr. Hyde

Reseat the RAM first. Make sure it clicks hard into place.

You certain you put in the CPU properly as well?

I hope so. If not, I will be pulling off the cpu/heatsink if nothing else works. It looked right to me from looking at it. Also, on the gtx770. I assume I plugged both cords correctly into the PSU. I used the extra 2 pins for each connector to plug into the PSU.

Edit: I reseated the ram and fiddled with the power connectors to make sure they'll all working. I tried using the mobo's power button and also the system's power but neither is turning it on. I am guessing I will have to tear it back down and try reseating the cpu and then if that fails, take out the motherboard.

Mr. Hyde

I got it to turn on. I kick myself for turning the CPU heatsink off since it was a pain to setup right, but I figured it out. It was the GPU power cords switched wrong due to me being in a rush. Now, to clean off the paste and reapply the heatsink. Gah!

brentech

Bought an adjustable desk mount for my monitor. Neighbor was showing me his, which he got at Monoprice. Picked up the same model. Thing is freaking awesome.

You can mount to desk via clamp or actually screwing into the desk. I used the clamp.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=7562&seq=1&format=2

Really enjoying the extra space on my desk. I think it would even allow me to have a 2 monitor setup when I eventually add a 120hz+ monitor.
It has 2 arms to help adjust location, and it should be able to swing out far enough to give room to do so, even with my desktop sitting on top of my desk as well.

larvi

Go with a 30'' 2560x1600 monoprice monitor. Not quite as cheap as buying a panel from korea , but the returns should be easier.

Avoid the one with the scaler unless you really need it.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10235&seq=1&format=2

that one

Thanks for the link, definitely cheaper. I wasn't aware that Monoprice was selling monitors now. Do you know who makes the panel in that one? I think the Doublesight has a Samsung panel.

Bought an adjustable desk mount for my monitor. Neighbor was showing me his, which he got at Monoprice. Picked up the same model. Thing is freaking awesome.

You can mount to desk via clamp or actually screwing into the desk. I used the clamp.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=7562&seq=1&format=2

Really enjoying the extra space on my desk. I think it would even allow me to have a 2 monitor setup when I eventually add a 120hz+ monitor.
It has 2 arms to help adjust location, and it should be able to swing out far enough to give room to do so, even with my desktop sitting on top of my desk as well.

Woha! That's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom