• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolabla

Finished up my build a few minutes ago and placed my order. I am extremely excited, but a little nervous (only because it's my first time building from scratch, but I have changed out PC parts before from pre-builts). This is what it looks like:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio

Motherboard: MSI MAG 650 Tomahawk WIFI

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 RAM 32GB 6000MHz CL36

CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

PSU: Corsair RM1000X

SSD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB

HDD: Toshiba X300 4TB

Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow

Quixz

Building a new rig for my brother this week.

AMD Ryzen™ 7 7800X3D
Gigabyte X670 GAMING X AX
32GB (2x16GB) Corsair DDR5 Vengeance RGB, PC5-48000 (6000), CAS 30, AMD EXPO
2TB Samsung 980 PRO
DeepCool LT720 RGB All In One Liquid CPU Cooler 360mm Radiator, Intel/AMD 7NEH4

*Gigabyte 4080 or 4090 to follow next month

Recycling stuff from the old machine

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Corsair RMx Series RM850x
Gigabyte 3080TI

Last edited:

Pandemic

Anyone able to give their thoughts on the difference between a curved monitor and a flat monitor? It'll mainly be for gaming.

Cheers!

SantaC

Gold Member
Finished up my build a few minutes ago and placed my order. I am extremely excited, but a little nervous (only because it's my first time building from scratch, but I have changed out PC parts before from pre-builts). This is what it looks like:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio

Motherboard: MSI MAG 650 Tomahawk WIFI

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 RAM 32GB 6000MHz CL36

CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

PSU: Corsair RM1000X

SSD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB

HDD: Toshiba X300 4TB

Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow
Corsair RAM is tweaked for intel builds and Gskill is tweaked for AMD...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Anyone able to give their thoughts on the difference between a curved monitor and a flat monitor? It'll mainly be for gaming.

Cheers!
Once I went curved I have a hard time playing on a flat screen

This 45” LG OLED ultra wide has a very aggressive curve but once you get used to it it seems more natural

But have had some friends try it and not like it but it took my awhile to get used to it

dolabla

They're for AMD too. The one I bought says it.

I had to make an edit to my order. I changed my PSU to the Corsair RM1000X Shift side interface model. That just seems like it would be better for cable management. And it was only few dollars more.

81dwGXVwpgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Pandemic

Once I went curved I have a hard time playing on a flat screen

This 45” LG OLED ultra wide has a very aggressive curve but once you get used to it it seems more natural

But have had some friends try it and not like it but it took my awhile to get used to it
Interesting stuff.

Might look into getting a curved screen, was just curious as to whether people noticed much of a gaming difference between two

Thanks for your help mate.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
i'll be joining the PC crew soon. been several years. been looking to get best bang for 2k ish. dont want to have to upgrade again for a few years. any tips on this build? any optimizations?
- i dont care about cases/rgb as long as it all fits
-no plans on overclocking so looking for minimum cooling to get stock clocks.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nmLXC6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($438.00 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler ($44.90 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Gigabyte A620M GAMING X Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Classic 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL46 Memory ($72.98 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ B&H)

Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card ($949.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ B&H)

Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)

Honestly, this is not a very good build. You picked a good CPU, GPU and PSU and SSD. Everything else is pretty crappy if I am being honest. A 620 chipset is complete and utter crap. While it should technically work, they’re built cheaply And aren’t reliable. There is absolutely no reason to pair up a 7900XTX and a 7800X3D with a 620. The power delivery will likely be pretty piss low. Spend a bit more and go with at least a B650E. The memory you have chosen is too slow and has awful timings. You need at least 6000 with CL timings of at least 36 to get the most out of your GPU and CPU, otherwise both will be bottlenecked and you’ve wasted money.

For motherboards, watch this video for some excellent suggestions. You don’t have to spend a ton more, but pairing a high end CPU AND GPU with a low end motherboard is not a good idea.

Last edited:
I don't think that's completely true.

Any RAM should work on either Intel/AMD. There is XMP (Intel) and EXPO (AMD) RAM which i think just means it's been tested/optimised to work on that platform. You should be able to use Corsair XMP in an AMD system and you should be able to use G.skill EXPO in an Intel system. The only thing you need to worry about is getting it stable (and there is the catch!). With XMP/EXPO profiles the idea is that you turn them on and that's you but if you put XMP in an AMD system you might need to fuck about with settings until you find something stable. Just because an XMP kit has 6000 CL28 specs doesn't mean you'll get 6000 CL28 on and AMD pc. You might get 6000 CL30 or even have to go down to 5600.

All that said, any time I've built an AMD system with Corsair XMP ram (3 times) i've had issues like random freezes and hard shut downs. Maybe if I had spend time manually tweaking the settings to get it stable it would have worked but I'm not about that. I want to enable something and have it work. My current system is an AMD one and this time I have g.skill ram in it. Guess what? It's been running perfectly with no issues. No freezing or crashing. So perhaps there is some truth in it.... or maybe I'm just lazy but I really don't have the time to be fucking about in the BIOS and stress testing my PC.

Last edited:
aeTR20n.png

AMD 7800X3D
NZXT N7 B650E
NZXT H510 Flow
NZXT Kraken Elite 280
NZXT C1200 (Not installed)
RTX 4080 FE (Not installed)
XPG 6000MHz 64GB CL30
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB

I've got some nice crisp white cable extensions, including one for the 12VHPWR along with a CableMod 90 degree adapter. All fans have been replaced with NZXT 120F RGB & 140F RGB. I had originally purchased a RTX 4090 but decided to return it for an RTX 4080 Founders Edition. I'll swap it out if I can get my hands on an RTX 4090 Founders Edition at MSRP.

The case was a tough choice, I like a boxy design, and I love the contrast that is provided by the black&white H510 Flow, but I also like that the H5 Flow has the additional fan right below the GPU, if heat becomes an issue, I'll 3d print my own duct and nibble out the thin metal to match the H5.

Typically I build for spec over style, but I am going for a curated style this time around. I'd really prefer not to do a push-pull setup on the radiator if I can get away with it, because it looks so clean at the moment and I don't want to clutter it further.

My issue is that I have preferred console gaming over PC gaming the last few years, mainly because I go down a rabbit hole every single time with overlocking, benchmarking, tweaking visual settings, etc. But, Starfield was the main driver for this build as I wasn't about to play it at 30FPS on XSX.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
aeTR20n.png

AMD 7800X3D
NZXT N7 B650E
NZXT H510 Flow
NZXT Kraken Elite 280
XPG 6000MHz 64GB CL30
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB

I've got some nice crisp white cable extensions, including one for the 12VHPWR along with a CableMod 90 degree adapter. All fans have been replaced with NZXT 120F RGB & 140F RGB. I had originally purchased a RTX 4090 but decided to return it for an RTX 4080 Founders Edition. I'll swap it out if I can get my hands on an RTX 4090 Founders Edition at MSRP.

The case was a tough choice, I like a boxy design, and I love the contrast that is provided by the black&white H510 Flow, but I also like that the H5 Flow has the additional fan right below the GPU, if heat becomes an issue, I'll 3d print my own duct and nibble out the thin metal to match the H5.

Typically I build for spec over style, but I am going for a curated style this time around. I'd really prefer not to do a push-pull setup on the radiator if I can get away with it, because it looks so clean at the moment and I don't want to clutter it further.

My issue is that I have preferred console gaming over PC gaming the last few years, mainly because I go down a rabbit hole every single time with overlocking, benchmarking, tweaking visual settings, etc. But, Starfield was the main driver for this build as I wasn't about to play it at 30FPS on XSX.
Clean, looks nice

aeTR20n.png

AMD 7800X3D
NZXT N7 B650E
NZXT H510 Flow
NZXT Kraken Elite 280
XPG 6000MHz 64GB CL30
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB

Looks cool. I was wanting that motherboard in black but I'm a weirdo and hated the 8+4 ATX power connections :messenger_tears_of_joy: It would've pissed me off leaving those ATX ports empty and only using 1x8 pin cable or putting two cables in and leaving half a cable dangling doing nothing. On my old GPU there it had a 8+6 connection so i had to leave a bit of the cable hanging off and it really bothered me. I don't get boards or cards that make your split your cables. I'd rather they made that board with 2x 8pin ATX connections and just didn't use the other 4 wires. Or a GPU that had 2x 8pin connections but didn't use the 2 extra wires.

I wish more motherboards look as clean as that one. I always like to go for a basic looking board. I went with the Asus B650E-E which was the best I could do. I could've got the X670E Hero which looks better but it's not worth the extra £300.

Last edited:
Thinking about seeing if I can get a 4090 to replace my 4080 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The 4080 is an amazing card but I didn't expect games to use so much VRAM. My old card was 8GB so this is a big upgrade but I feel like I should've got the 4090 with 24GB.

Going to see if I can find a 4090 for a good price and if I can sell my 4080 for a reasonable price. I know I'm being stupid and I should just wait for the "5090"

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
Thinking about seeing if I can get a 4090 to replace my 4080 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The 4080 is an amazing card but I didn't expect games to use so much VRAM. My old card was 8GB so this is a big upgrade but I feel like I should've got the 4090 with 24GB.

Going to see if I can find a 4090 for a good price and if I can sell my 4080 for a reasonable price. I know I'm being stupid and I should just wait for the "5090"
Chad move!!! Do it! Almost sold my zotac 4090 to get an Asus 4090 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Chad move!!! Do it! Almost sold my zotac 4090 to get an Asus 4090 😂😂😂
I also almost sold my 64GB DDR5 6000 CL32 RAM so I could buy 64GB DDR5 6000 CL30 RAM.

God help me if AMD come out with a 7990X3D with a base clock of 4.3 and a boost of 5.8GHz :messenger_tears_of_joy: Seriously, I did read something and I thought AMD were going to release a CPU that was higher than the 7950X3D and my mind went crazy but I read it wrong.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I did the same thing. I had a 4080 (mainly because the 4090s were sold out at the time), but Microcenter got some 4090s in, I went and exchanged my 4080 and got a 4090.

My justification was that I had already spent $1300 on a GPU, why not spend $1600 and get the far better GPU? The gap between the 4080 and 4090 is fairly significant.

From nvidia's lineup, the 4090 is the only GPU that doesn't feel like it has massive compromises. The 4080 has a 256-bit memory bus and has barely more than HALF of the CUDA cores of the 4090.

The 4080 as is, has 4070 Ti specs IMO.

Will my current power supply work with this MB I plan on getting?

Power supply is a

Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W 80+ Gold, ECO Fanless & Silent Mode, Full Modular Power Supply, Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan,10 Year Warranty, SF-750F14HG (750W)​

Power Supply

And this is the Motherboard

MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI​

Motherboard

The motherboard says it has 2 8 pin connectors. Checking pc part picker on the power supply, it looks like it would based on this?

7QtbDJO.png

Last edited:

Pandemic

Looks like I'll be locking in this build:

Chassis - Phanteks Eclipse G360A Airflow D-RGB
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z790 GAMING X AX
CPU - Intel Core i7 13700K 8P/8E Core 24 Threads
Graphics Card - Inno3D GeForce RTX 4080 ICHILL X3 16GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
CPU Cooling System - Thermaltake Toughliquid ARGB 360
SSD - Kingston 2TB KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280
Hard Drive - Seagate 2TB BarraCuda 3.5"
Power Supply - Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 1000W 80+ Gold PCIe 5 Fully Modular
Chassis Fans - Phanteks PH-F120SK SK 120mm PWM Fan D-RGB
OS - Windows 11 Home 64 Bit

Looking forward to it, thanks again to everyone that helped with their advice and feedback.

Update: Scratch that, they've come back and said they have stock. We are back in business.

Looks like this build didn't come to fruition. The business oversold the GPU so they had none left....

Looking at everything being the same however changing the GPU. Can anyone comment on the ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4080 Trinity OC 16GB? Is it worse, on par or better than the original Inno3D GeForce RTX 4080 ICHILL X3 16GB?

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Power supply is a

Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W 80+ Gold, ECO Fanless & Silent Mode, Full Modular Power Supply, Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan,10 Year Warranty, SF-750F14HG (750W)​

Power Supply

MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI​

Motherboard

The motherboard says it has 2 8 pin connectors. Checking pc part picker on the power supply, it looks like it would based on this?

7QtbDJO.png
You're fine, homie.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Power supply is a

Power Supply

MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI​

Motherboard

7QtbDJO.png
That would COMPLETELY depend on what GPU and CPU you are planning to pair with that motherboard.

Unless you are running a 13900K with a 4090 then 750W will likely be just fine.

dolabla

Parts just shipped (well, most of them; only the cpu and case didn't ship in this batch)! It's all supposed to be here Sunday. Only thing I'm gonna have to wait on is the GPU. It was backordered and is supposed to be here on the 5th. Super excited. I know what I'll be doing next Saturday :messenger_sunglasses:

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hi guys! Just wanted your opinion on the following - which RTX 4090 should I get and why?

(1) ASUS Strix RTX 4090 OC; or

(2) ASUS TUF OC RTX 4090

I'm based in HK, and the price difference between the TUF and Strix is about 1,000 HKD.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I was gonna grab a laptop because mine is shitting the bed a little but they seem incredibly expensive and/or underwhelming. You either get a shitty screen with terrible build quality and good innards or terrible innards with ok build and screen.

So instead I might grab me the UW QD oled monitor from alienware thats on sale atm and a 4080 to upgrade my main rig, my only issue is that I really wanna avoid buying a new PSU

My current build

Asus tuf x570 + wifi
1tb WD sn850x (boot drive)
2tb seagate hdd (this was leftover in the house so i just put it in lol)
64gb DDR4 memory
Ryzen 9 5900x
EVGA RTX 2080 super
Corsair RM750x 80 plus gold modular PSU

Am I wrong to assume I can just pop in the 4080 and continue on my way? if I need to change the psu I might as well just build a new rig later lol

GreatnessRD

Hi guys! Just wanted your opinion on the following - which RTX 4090 should I get and why?

(1) ASUS Strix RTX 4090 OC; or

(2) ASUS TUF OC RTX 4090

I'm based in HK, and the price difference between the TUF and Strix is about 1,000 HKD.

Thank you!
I'd say grab the cheaper TUF version. You save money and have an already overbuilt cooler.
I was gonna grab a laptop because mine is shitting the bed a little but they seem incredibly expensive and/or underwhelming. You either get a shitty screen with terrible build quality and good innards or terrible innards with ok build and screen.

So instead I might grab me the UW QD oled monitor from alienware thats on sale atm and a 4080 to upgrade my main rig, my only issue is that I really wanna avoid buying a new PSU

My current build

Asus tuf x570 + wifi
1tb WD sn850x (boot drive)
2tb seagate hdd (this was leftover in the house so i just put it in lol)
64gb DDR4 memory
Ryzen 9 5900x
EVGA RTX 2080 super
Corsair RM750x 80 plus gold modular PSU

Am I wrong to assume I can just pop in the 4080 and continue on my way? if I need to change the psu I might as well just build a new rig later lol
The PSU will be more than enough. I'd be surprised if it drew over 600w. Even with the spikes, you should be fine, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Kaleinc

Banned

Going to see if I can find a 4090 for a good price and if I can sell my 408price0 for a reasonable . I know I'm being stupid and I should just wait for the "5090"
I can solve the 4080 problem, for a reasonable price of $1.

GreatnessRD

finally got my "budget" build all wired up.
LRl9MFh.jpg

cant see it, the case has another section/chamber for HDDs and whatnot.
mishmash of 140/120mm gentle typhoons, noctuas, arctic fans.
Congratulations on the build, homie! Now RUN not walk, RUN to grab you another stick of ram because that isn't going to be a fun time with one stick.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
finally got my "budget" build all wired up.
LRl9MFh.jpg

cant see it, the case has another section/chamber for HDDs and whatnot.
mishmash of 140/120mm gentle typhoons, noctuas, arctic fans.
Congratulations on the build, homie! Now RUN not walk, RUN to grab you another stick of ram because that isn't going to be a fun time with one stick.
Agreed need to double that ram

draliko

As of now would you go with a 6950xt for 650€ or a 7900xt for 850€? Probably gonna buy something next week for prime days and after ff16 delusion (30fps feels really bad for me, and 60fps is a sore view) and starfield 30fps (both expected but still worth a try) I've decided to move back to pc gaming for the rest of my gaming life😅 actually using a 5600x and 16gb and 1440p freesync monitor, was thinking about the 6950xt and maybe using the difference to buy a 5800x3d and another 16gb of ram, that should be enough to survive until next gen (and who knows maybe a bit beyond that). RT intrigues me but only cp2077 seems worth.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
As of now would you go with a 6950xt for 650€ or a 7900xt for 850€? Probably gonna buy something next week for prime days and after ff16 delusion (30fps feels really bad for me, and 60fps is a sore view) and starfield 30fps (both expected but still worth a try) I've decided to move back to pc gaming for the rest of my gaming life😅 actually using a 5600x and 16gb and 1440p freesync monitor, was thinking about the 6950xt and maybe using the difference to buy a 5800x3d and another 16gb of ram, that should be enough to survive until next gen (and who knows maybe a bit beyond that). RT intrigues me but only cp2077 seems worth.
The 6950XT is the better bang for buck option.

Sleepwalker

I'd say grab the cheaper TUF version. You save money and have an already overbuilt cooler.

The PSU will be more than enough. I'd be surprised if it drew over 600w. Even with the spikes, you should be fine, in my opinion.
TA, will grab a 4080 then, you can get them slightly below msrp here

Bojji

Gold Member

Many games will be CPU limited so I would advice 6950 plus 5800x3d

On the other hand RT performance of rdna2 is not too great, but question is do you care that much about RT?

draliko

Many games will be CPU limited so I would advice 6950 plus 5800x3d

On the other hand RT performance of rdna2 is not too great, but question is do you care that much about RT?
Not really sincerely, the RT games are few and only a couple have meaningful implementation, so RT is absolutely not mandatory for me

Agreed need to double that ram
yeah 100% agree.
the one stick came with a cpu/mobo/ram bundle, so im using it for system stability testing (before return windows close) while i decide what ram to buy.
maybe 6400 cl32... or might splurge a bit for 7200 cl34. at least 32gb.
Exact same videocard as me. Build looks good. What cpu are you running?
12700k.
was worried it'd be a bit of a furnace, but quick testing showed high 20s idle, 40s gaming. cpu-z stress test made it kiss 50. happy with that!

3090 hit 75c which i dont care for. also probably using ~350w which is a bit ugly.
ampere apparently undervolts very well, where a 3090 @ 275w basically gets you stock performance. might as well give it a try.

Celcius

°Temp. member
yeah 100% agree.
the one stick came with a cpu/mobo/ram bundle, so im using it for system stability testing (before return windows close) while i decide what ram to buy.
maybe 6400 cl32... or might splurge a bit for 7200 cl34. at least 32gb.

12700k.
was worried it'd be a bit of a furnace, but quick testing showed high 20s idle, 40s gaming. cpu-z stress test made it kiss 50. happy with that!

3090 hit 75c which i dont care for. also probably using ~350w which is a bit ugly.
ampere apparently undervolts very well, where a 3090 @ 275w basically gets you stock performance. might as well give it a try.
What I did was undervolt mine and then overclock the memory to 3090 Ti speeds to make up for it. Runs cooler and quieter now

MikeM

I run a 5600 with a 7900xt. Works great but can be cpu limited in some games. It works well for me as I need to cap most games to my LG C1’s 120fps max.

Do you already have an AM4 setup? If not, i’d go 6950xt then get a 7600 or 7700 with an AM5 board.

Cheers!
I've switched my 4k/43" monitor with the Samsung 49" G9 ultrawide. All I gotta say, is that the curved screen makes the whole game more immersive. The curve works. Because the edges are closer to the sides of your eyes and it's doesn't strain them and the depth of the centre gives you the focus without compromising the wider view.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
The 6950XT is the better bang for buck option.
This is truth.

I'm in the middle of a few builds.
I did a build for my sister for work and gaming (She just plays the Sims with mods anyways lol) and I did an H1 V2 with a 6800 XT. Was surprised at the value (got it for like $450 a few months back) and it pretty much maxes out every major title. I'm also surprised with how quiet it actually is.

I'm in the middle of a 4090 build and I'm just looking around for a good deal to see if I can get one new so.....we are sorta stuck until we get it lol So we made another build for like casual gaming or as a HTPC.

So we went with a H1 V2 like the other one I did earlier this year, but this time got a 6950 XT.

hjIUnc5.jpg

I also enjoyed how they roll out the red carpet for those AMD flavored ones lol

iOk15rW.jpg

draliko

I run a 5600 with a 7900xt. Works great but can be cpu limited in some games. It works well for me as I need to cap most games to my LG C1’s 120fps max.

Do you already have an AM4 setup? If not, i’d go 6950xt then get a 7600 or 7700 with an AM5 board.
Yeah already have an am4 setup, so I'll wait for prime days offers to see if anything good happens, otherwise I'll postpone the build till September (having both consoles ease the waiting) and starfield

sobaka770

Banned
I need help!
Here is my current rig:

- Processor: I7 8700k 3.7 GHz (OC to 4.7)
- 32Gb DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz
- Z370 SLI PLUS
- RTX 3080 (10 Gb VRAM)
- Alienware AW32DWF (3440*1440)
- M2 drive 3d gen and other fluff

I hate the VRAM and RTX bottlenecks I currently have in most titles, such as D4, Cyberpunk, Hogwarts Legacy. However my rig does play Baldur's Gate 3 just fine.

Should I:
- Get an RTX 4090 (so I can max out cyberpunk, witcher 3 rtx at acceptable framerate)
- Upgrade Mobo/CPU and keep the RTX3080
- Stick with current rig for another 1.5 years, save up another 1-2K$ and do a massive upgrade at end 2024 (Intel 15 gen/RtX5090 territory)?

GreatnessRD

I need help!
Here is my current rig:

- 32Gb DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz
- Z370 SLI PLUS
- RTX 3080 (10 Gb VRAM)

I hate the VRAM and RTX bottlenecks I currently have in most titles, such as D4, Cyberpunk, Hogwarts Legacy. However my rig does play Baldur's Gate 3 just fine.

Should I:
- Get an RTX 4090 (so I can max out cyberpunk, witcher 3 rtx at acceptable framerate)
- Stick with current rig for another 1.5 years, save up another 1-2K$ and do a massive upgrade at end 2024 (Intel 15 gen/RtX5090 territory)?
Save up for the massive upgrade. You'll be bottlenecked to hell with a 8700K and a 4090. You could do a CPU/mobo upgrade because the 3080 is still a beast of a card, but I'd say just stack your bread and save up to do a massive overhaul by time Blackwell and RDNA4 hit.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I need help!
Here is my current rig:

- 32Gb DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz
- Z370 SLI PLUS
- RTX 3080 (10 Gb VRAM)

Should I:
It would be absurdly stupid to put a 4090 in there with that CPU. It would be a MASSIVE bottleneck.

If you need something now a better bet would be a 7700X/B650E combo with a 4070 Ti, that will go a long way towards being better than what you have.

But I do agree that you should save up for a bit longer and upgrade everything all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom