• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah already have an am4 setup, so I'll wait for prime days offers to see if anything good happens, otherwise I'll postpone the build till September (having both consoles ease the waiting) and starfield
Prime days have typically never offered good GPU prices. The 6950XT is likely as low as it's going to get. AMD is desperately trying to get rid of these. Once they're gone, they're gone.

GreatnessRD

Prime days have typically never offered good GPU prices. The 6950XT is likely as low as it's going to get. AMD is desperately trying to get rid of these. Once they're gone, they're gone.
This morning I posted in a discord that the XFX 6950 XT was $579 on Amazon. Forgot to post here, just went and checked, Amazon/XFX sold out completely, lmao. Closest price now is $670. Coming down to the nitty gritty.

EDIT: Oh, Newegg has it now for $579. Get it quick, mah boi's!

Last edited:
What I did was undervolt mine and then overclock the memory to 3090 Ti speeds to make up for it. Runs cooler and quieter now
ooo what are your temps?
adjusted fan curve?
and happen to know the wattage?

random story time: my old psu (seasonic prime gold 750w) hated the 3090. believe transient loads were too much. system crashes all over the place.
had to reduce the 3090's power limit to ~50%, which dropped the wattage to ~200 watts, temps in the high 50s, and crashes went away.

Celcius

°Temp. member
ooo what are your temps?
adjusted fan curve?
and happen to know the wattage?

random story time: my old psu (seasonic prime gold 750w) hated the 3090. believe transient loads were too much. system crashes all over the place.
had to reduce the 3090's power limit to ~50%, which dropped the wattage to ~200 watts, temps in the high 50s, and crashes went away.
I use the default fan curve and power limits. Looks like my max temp during benchmarks was 74C but usually during gaming it's 66C-69C max. I'm not sure about the wattage...

Last edited:

XesqueVara

Hey Lads have a opportunity to do a little upgrade for my PC after a long time, specifically 32gigs of ram or a 1TB nvme... what i should focus if i want to play Starfield btw?
Current Build.
Ryzen 5600
B450 Pro Vdh-Max
16GB ram 3000mhz
GTX 1070ti
480GB sata SSD
1TB HD
650W PSU.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Hey Lads have a opportunity to do a little upgrade for my PC after a long time, specifically 32gigs of ram or a 1TB nvme... what i should focus if i want to play Starfield btw?
Current Build.
Ryzen 5600
B450 Pro Vdh-Max
16GB ram 3000mhz
GTX 1070ti
480GB sata SSD
1TB HD
650W PSU.
Might be thinking of a different game but can you get Starfield on your SSD? Doesn't it require an SSD?

Personally to answer your question my vote would be the NVME regardless

XesqueVara

Might be thinking of a different game but can you get Starfield on your SSD? Doesn't it require an SSD?

Personally to answer your question my vote would be the NVME regardless
It can easily tbh, don´t know if it need to be a Nvme one Tho, it´s the standard 500MB/s of the Sata ones.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

anyone here ever used that ASUS rate my gear promotion? got my application for cash back approved but been over 30 days and still nothing.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Hey all!

Working on putting together pricing on my first PC build in several years. My last build was a 980Ti setup like 8 years ago.

Just looking for any tips/input on how this build looks, and whether or not I should swap any components out. I'm not sure if there's anything overkill or if I should swap out for some cheaper parts without losing much performance.

I'm aiming for 4k/60fps gaming and I'm fine with using DLSS or frame generation if needed to get there.

53034632170_43e9b694ed_h.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Hey all!

Working on putting together pricing on my first PC build in several years. My last build was a 980Ti setup like 8 years ago.

Just looking for any tips/input on how this build looks, and whether or not I should swap any components out. I'm not sure if there's anything overkill or if I should swap out for some cheaper parts without losing much performance.

I'm aiming for 4k/60fps gaming and I'm fine with using DLSS or frame generation if needed to get there.

Thanks!
I have a 4080 system and ran it through several games on 4k and your going to smoke most everything you throw at it shooting for 60 fps without DLSS

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I have a 4080 system and ran it through several games on 4k and your going to smoke most everything you throw at it shooting for 60 fps without DLSS

That's the component I'm most on the fence about. I'm torn between the 4080, 4090, and 7900XTX.

The 7900XTX is the best value, has plenty of VRAM to feel future-proofed, and has comparable raster performance to the 4080. But it lacks in RT performance and AI features like DLSS and frame generation.

The 4080 is equivilent to the 7900 XTX in raster performance, but has DLSS 3.0 and frame generation on top of that, as well as much better RT performance. But it's more expensive and is lacking on VRAM.

The 4090 has everything; best raster performance, lots of VRAM, DLSS 3.0 & frame generation, and best RT performance... but you have to pay out of your ass for it. And I feel like I'd need to upgrade my CPU choice if I went with the 4090 as well, so even more $$$.

So hard to decide!

Last edited:

MikeM

Hey all!

Thanks!
Thats fine. I have a 7900xt PC and hit 4k 60+ fps without issue. Your 4080 will get you there.

Only other thing I would say is use one ssd for the OS, then the other one for all your data/files/games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hey all!

Thanks!
Beast of a system, but your CPU cooler is weak for the 7700X. Buy a Noctua or a Be Quiet. The CM might be fine if you can undervolt the CPU.

Also, the 750W power supply is a little on the low end. It’s mostly fine, but if you’re spending that much money spend a little more and get a 1000W.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's the component I'm most on the fence about. I'm torn between the 4080, 4090, and 7900XTX.

The 7900XTX is the best value, has plenty of VRAM to feel future-proofed, and has comparable raster performance to the 4080. But it lacks in RT performance and AI features like DLSS and frame generation.

The 4080 is equivilent to the 7900 XTX in raster performance, but has DLSS 3.0 and frame generation on top of that, as well as much better RT performance. But it's more expensive and is lacking on VRAM.

The 4090 has everything; best raster performance, lots of VRAM, DLSS 3.0 & frame generation, and best RT performance... but you have to pay out of your ass for it. And I feel like I'd need to upgrade my CPU choice if I went with the 4090 as well, so even more $$$.

So hard to decide!
The 7900xtx really is a monster as that is what I got my wife for Starfield after the whole AMD sponsorship announcement

My main gaming rig is a 7950x 4090 pc and we both play on ultrawides and the 7900xtx hangs with the 4090 fairly well at that resolution without dlss

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Beast of a system, but your CPU cooler is weak for the 7700X. Buy a Noctua or a Be Quiet. The CM might be fine if you can undervolt the CPU.

Also, the 750W power supply is a little on the low end. It’s mostly fine, but if you’re spending that much money spend a little more and get a 1000W.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look at other PSU options.

As for the cooler, I don't mind paying more but I'm looking for something quiet that can keep the CPU cool at stock frequencies. I don't intend to overclock. Do you have any specific suggestions?

The 7900xtx really is a monster as that is what I got my wife for Starfield after the whole AMD sponsorship announcement

My main gaming rig is a 7950x 4090 pc and we both play on ultrawides and the 7900xtx hangs with the 4090 fairly well at that resolution without dlss

You're not making this decision any easier! :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

I'm sure I'd be happy with any of the three cards in the end. I think I'm starting to lean towards the 4090. I can pretty easily find used ones for ~$1400, which isn't that much more than a 4080. We'll see, still deciding.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I'm sure I'd be happy with any of the three cards in the end. I think I'm starting to lean towards the 4090. I can pretty easily find used ones for ~$1400, which isn't that much more than a 4080. We'll see, still deciding.
If you have the funds and it doesn't just totally kill the wallet even shooting for 4k 60 I would say grab the 4090 because who knows how demanding new games will be

I was just trying to reassure you on the 4080 and 7900XTX being actually great cards if you had them in your sights as this is my all in max budget

Of course once you get the 4090 then you will want to see what games look like at 100+ fps ;)

SantaC

Gold Member
Hey all!

Thanks!
here is basically my pc. I made this list for you.

SGKLd8A.png

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I need help!
Here is my current rig:

- Processor: I7 8700k 3.7 GHz (OC to 4.7)
- 32Gb DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz
- Z370 SLI PLUS
- RTX 3080 (10 Gb VRAM)
- Alienware AW32DWF (3440*1440)
- M2 drive 3d gen and other fluff

I hate the VRAM and RTX bottlenecks I currently have in most titles, such as D4, Cyberpunk, Hogwarts Legacy. However my rig does play Baldur's Gate 3 just fine.

Should I:
- Get an RTX 4090 (so I can max out cyberpunk, witcher 3 rtx at acceptable framerate)
- Upgrade Mobo/CPU and keep the RTX3080
- Stick with current rig for another 1.5 years, save up another 1-2K$ and do a massive upgrade at end 2024 (Intel 15 gen/RtX5090 territory)?
It depends on what you want to play, but your CPU is probably your biggest bottleneck right now. Or at least it's enough of a bottleneck to nerf any GPU upgrades.

I would upgrade the Mobo/CPU, and then do the video card down the road when you can afford it. A decent new CPU like. 13700k or a Ryzen 7800X will likely last a good long while without being obsolete, too.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
If you have the funds and it doesn't just totally kill the wallet even shooting for 4k 60 I would say grab the 4090 because who knows how demanding new games will be

I was just trying to reassure you on the 4080 and 7900XTX being actually great cards if you had them in your sights as this is my all in max budget

Of course once you get the 4090 then you will want to see what games look like at 100+ fps ;)

here is basically my pc. I made this list for you.

SGKLd8A.png

Thanks very much guys.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look at other PSU options.

As for the cooler, I don't mind paying more but I'm looking for something quiet that can keep the CPU cool at stock frequencies. I don't intend to overclock. Do you have any specific suggestions?

LOL. At stock frequencies, the 7700X is going to be running at around 90C. Undervolting and/or running in Ecomode can get your CPU cooler. My 7700X ran with a -30 offset with a max power draw of 85W and my CPU was running at around 65C. The cooler you have chosen will be at 90C rather quickly. As for suggestions. Go to Noctua and BeQuiets website. Look at which coolers are AM5 compatible and go with that. Once you get the system up and running, look into undervolting and you will run cooler and quieter.

LostDonkey

Hi guys, quick one.

I've have an older PC running on a z170 board I believe, Asus Hero 8, it has a PCIe 3.0 nvme slot. You can pick these up dirt cheap now but I already have a Sata SSD as my main OS drive. Is it worth switching these older 3.0 drives in or is there no difference?

TIA

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hi guys, quick one.

I've have an older PC running on a z170 board I believe, Asus Hero 8, it has a PCIe 3.0 nvme slot. You can pick these up dirt cheap now but I already have a Sata SSD as my main OS drive. Is it worth switching these older 3.0 drives in or is there no difference?

TIA
Z170? What is this, the dark ages?

It will be a bit faster but it depends on if the M.2 slot supports PCI 3.0. In many of those boards only the GPU slot supported that speed.

But yes, it will be faster.

LostDonkey

Z170? What is this, the dark ages?

It will be a bit faster but it depends on if the M.2 slot supports PCI 3.0. In many of those boards only the GPU slot supported that speed.

But yes, it will be faster.

It plays games fine for me. I'm still running most my games of mechanical HDDs so it will be a nice change I think. For the price I'll give it a whirl.

Sleepwalker

Just installed my dell aw3423dwf ultrawide qd oled monitor and holy shit what a beautiful screen. So much screen real estate lol, can't wait to play games on it.

Now to keep trying to score a cheap 4070ti-4080 card and ill be done for a few years.

GHG

What's everyone's experiences here with the x670 motherboards?

It's crunch time now since my new case arrived but the decision on the CPU/motherboard is still sending me into a spin. I thought the issues with AM5 would have been solved by now but having checked the reddit megathread it still looks like a shitshow. Is that a correct assessment compared to Z790 or are people being dramatic?

MikeM

It's crunch time now since my new case arrived but the decision on the CPU/motherboard is still sending me into a spin. I thought the issues with AM5 would have been solved by now but having checked the reddit megathread it still looks like a shitshow. Is that a correct assessment compared to Z790 or are people being dramatic?
Seems to be the case. Its why i’m likely waiting until Zen 5 before upgrading to AM5. Its not mature enough to gamble yet and I love my system stability with AM4.

Reactions: GHG

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Newsflash: Reddit is always going to make things seem like a shitshow. 670E isn't perfect, but mine runs fine and most people I know run fine.

Most X670E boards are fine. You had just better be prepared for longer than normal boot times. As long as you avoid the ultra low cheap ones. I'd say the MSI Tomahawk, Asus Prime/TUF are the lowest you should go.

A B650E is also a good option.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG
Bruh I finally upgraded to 32GB of ram. Clowns on reddit lied to me. This has fixed so many issues with slowdowns, apps crashing and just general shitty performance.

16GB is trash. Never going back to that.
16GB should be considered minimum RAM these days. 24-32GB is about recommended. Already seen games using 20-25GB. I didn't feel comfortable with only having a 7-10GB headroom on a PC i plan to keep the next 4-5 years so went with 64GB.

GreatnessRD

Help me decide!

4TB Crucial P3 Plus - $175+ taxes

or

4TB WD SN850x - $229 + taxes

Using it as a game drive. I'm leaning towards the Crucial, but don't know if the extra $55 would be worth it for the WD drive.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
16GB should be considered minimum RAM these days. 24-32GB is about recommended. Already seen games using 20-25GB. I didn't feel comfortable with only having a 7-10GB headroom on a PC i plan to keep the next 4-5 years so went with 64GB.
Depends on how much you multitask I guess. I don't like closing stuff to game, I am always doing a million things so I have been in the 32GB train for probably 6-7 years.

16 is fine if you close out your browsers and other heavy apps first. I can't believe how many people are still on 8 or less, though. Like 20+% of people on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom