• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossco EZ

Looking forward to some benchmarks but it will probably be close

Nah, its good. I mean, this set up creates an awesome vortex around the CPU but I don't think it will effect things negatevily for you... and your temps are great.

Have you tried running less fans? Like if you turn off two at the front? Just curious how much temps will rise if you did that.

The 5600x is an awesome CPU for being only 65w... I had a hard time letting it go, but the 5800x3d is worth it.
thanks been checking since i added the fan there and doesn’t seem to be doing it any harm, was just worried at first that it would mess with the pull of the one on the cpu cooler.

haven’t tried turning any fans off to be honest but i could probably lose the lower front fan and temps would be around the same i think. & yeah haha really want the 5800x3d, i think i’m just gonna wait and use the money on am5 in a year or something.

I've been thinking about building some Small Factor PC- Mini ITX style. Not a lot of place on desk. And I've been gaming on consoles. So I am leaning more towards this kind of build.

Need ideas for motherboard, PSU (modular?) and widely available case with fairly good airflow since I probably won't buy some niche handmade cases here in Poland. Something with separate chamber for GPU and CPU would be nice.

Graphics card I've been thinking about is AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB and AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d processor - huge discounts here in Poland. Don't really care about ray tracking at this price point. Is this CPU an overkill for RX 6700 XT and will I have trouble with it in Mini ITX case with airflow/heat?

RAM, I think 3200 32gb will be enough, and will keep cost a bit.

As for storage, I will definitely use some SSD. Since gaming on PS5 has made me on board with SSDs- I've been using WD BLACK SN850 with heatsink
too in my PS5 and its awesome, don't wanna go back to HDD.

What about cooling? Will I fit some huge Noctua stuff or be quiet! cooling?

I just started to think about this build, last PC I build were with my brother was around Deus Ex: Human Revolution release date. So I'm quite green now, especially with Mini ITX builds.

I saw someone use some RAISER cables to place GPU in separate chamber. So far I've been loosely researching it with not a lot of now-how.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and pointers towards a good build.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about building some Small Factor PC- Mini ITX style. Not a lot of place on desk. And I've been gaming on consoles. So I am leaning more towards this kind of build.

Need ideas for motherboard, PSU (modular?) and widely available case with fairly good airflow since I probably won't buy some niche handmade cases here in Poland. Something with separate chamber for GPU and CPU would be nice.

Graphics card I've been thinking about is AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB and AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d processor - huge discounts here in Poland. Don't really care about ray tracking at this price point. Is this CPU an overkill for RX 6700 XT and will I have trouble with it in Mini ITX case with airflow/heat?

RAM, I think 3200 32gb will be enough, and will keep cost a bit.

As for storage, I will definitely use some SSD. Since gaming on PS5 has made me on board with SSDs- I've been using WD BLACK SN850 with heatsink
too in my PS5 and its awesome, don't wanna go back to HDD.

What about cooling? Will I fit some huge Noctua stuff or be quiet! cooling?

I just started to think about this build, last PC I build were with my brother was around Deus Ex: Human Revolution release date. So I'm quite green now, especially with Mini ITX builds.

I saw someone use some RAISER cables to place GPU in separate chamber. So far I've been loosely researching it with not a lot of now-how.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and pointers towards a good build.
Definitely a modular PSU because in such a small space you don't want to fuck about with cables you don't need. For a Mini ITX build you need to make sure you get a PSU that fits. You'll probably have to go with an SFX psu over ATX.

the CPU/GPU combo should not cause any bottlenecking as long as you're not trying to play at 4K.

and yes 32GB 3200 RAM is enough :)

SSD is the way to go. WD BLACKs are great so stick with them. Depending on what motherboard you get you don't need to buy an SSD with a built in heatsink. If the board doesn't have a heatsink with it or if you just want to use the SSD heatsink then you can buy the heatsink model of SSD. Don't buy a heatsink model thinking you will take it off. You can but it's sometimes too much hassle.

in a Mini ITX case you're going to need to get a low profile air cooler or an AIO. You might be able to fit a larger cooler in but check case specs first against the cooler specs to make sure it'll fit. Both Noctua and Bequiet are good choices.

If this is your first build then just know that Mini ITX is going to make things more difficult because of the smaller space. Double and triple check that everything will fit together. I would suggest maybe trying to go with MicroATX as it's a good balance between full/mid ATX and MiniITX. ATX is the main standard for PC parts but when you go with ITX it often means less selection of parts (and higher prices), different standards, worse airflow/cooling, and more awkward building. You can always sit the case under the desk or on the floor. Unless you really need it to be on your desk.

Last edited:
Definitely a modular PSU because in such a small space you don't want to fuck about with cables you don't need. For a Mini ITX build you need to make sure you get a PSU that fits. You'll probably have to go with an SFX psu over ATX.

the CPU/GPU combo should not cause any bottlenecking as long as you're not trying to play at 4K.

SSD is the way to go. WD BLACKs are great so stick with them. Depending on what motherboard you get you don't need to buy an SSD with a built in heatsink. If the board doesn't have a heatsink with it or if you just want to use the SSD heatsink then you can buy the heatsink model of SSD. Don't buy a heatsink model thinking you will take it off. You can but it's sometimes too much hassle.

in a Mini ITX case you're going to need to get a low profile air cooler or an AIO. You might be able to fit a larger cooler in but check case specs first against the cooler specs to make sure it'll fit. Both Noctua and Bequiet are good choices.

If this is your first build then just know that Mini ITX is going to make things more difficult because of the smaller space. Double and triple check that everything will fit together. I would suggest maybe trying to go with MicroATX as it's a good balance between full/mid ATX and MiniITX. ATX is the main standard for PC parts but when you go with ITX it often means less selection of parts (and higher prices), different standards, worse airflow/cooling, and more awkward building. You can always sit the case under the desk or on the floor. Unless you really need it to be on your desk.
1080p/1440p gaming for me for now 1080p and later down the road 1440p maybe- I'm still choosing the right monitor but will probably upgrade down the line.

Thanks for pitching in and advises. Will stick with them for sure!

As for SFX PSU, how much power does it need to handle RX6700XT+R7 5800x3d? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with too low rated PSU for my first build.

Last edited:
1080p/1440p gaming for me for now 1080p and later down the road 1440p maybe- I'm still choosing the right monitor.

Thanks for pitching in.

As for SFX PSU, how much power does it need to handle RX6700XT+R7 5800x3d?
I'd recommend 550-650W psu. 550W should be fine. 650W is more than enough. if you want to a bit more headroom then 750W. Of course go for the highest power if the price is right.

don't go with the advertised TDPs. the gpu is 230W and the CPU is 105W but they can use more than that. The CPU can use up to 210W i think and the GPU if you overclock it could maybe get close to 300W. You also need to factor in power for the motherboard/SSD/fans etc.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I just ordered the Dell 34 oled ultra wide. I was planning on upgrading my PC. I have built every pc I've had for 20yrs or so. Thing is I don't want to build this one. Has anyone had any experience with Ibuypower? Or other sites? I want to buy one with normal parts incase I decide to swap something down the road.

Sleepwalker

I just ordered the Dell 34 oled ultra wide. I was planning on upgrading my PC. I have built every pc I've had for 20yrs or so. Thing is I don't want to build this one. Has anyone had any experience with Ibuypower? Or other sites? I want to buy one with normal parts incase I decide to swap something down the road.
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is your man when it comes to prebuilts, he has had more than a few iirc.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
IBuypower is kind of a crap shoot for prebuilts as they will use the cheapest parts they can find at the time and have had more than one that was DOA

If you go that route if possible buy it from a store that makes returns super easy and I always use Best Buy (they carry IBuypower) and I have the 60 day return window makes it super easy to walk into the store and get a new one ordered if anything is wrong with it

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
IBuypower is kind of a crap shoot for prebuilts as they will use the cheapest parts they can find at the time and have had more than one that was DOA

If you go that route if possible buy it from a store that makes returns super easy and I always use Best Buy (they carry IBuypower) and I have the 60 day return window makes it super easy to walk into the store and get a new one ordered if anything is wrong with it
I was hoping to do a custom pre-built. I don't have a micro center. I'll have to see if anyone does customs near me.

Will this Fractal Design case give me similar management CPU and GPU placement as the case in the vid? I can buy this in Poland easily.

Any other cases I should consider?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Newsflash: Reddit is always going to make things seem like a shitshow. 670E isn't perfect, but mine runs fine and most people I know run fine.

Most X670E boards are fine. You had just better be prepared for longer than normal boot times. As long as you avoid the ultra low cheap ones. I'd say the MSI Tomahawk, Asus Prime/TUF are the lowest you should go.

A B650E is also a good option.
Yeah, despite all Asus' shenanigans, even they mostly patched up AM5. 670e or 650e are fine now days.

I am running 670e Asus board that I got before all the overvolting insanity, and it's fine now. It's Gaming-E something or other. Pricey, but I got it at Microcenter at a discount, they had open box "like new" for a very reasonable price.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Even if you double and triple check, there will still be unaccounted for issues.

I just did my first mini-ITX build and it was a miserable experience, despite every number saying things would fit.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Will this Fractal Design case give me similar management CPU and GPU placement as the case in the vid? I can buy this in Poland easily.

Any other cases I should consider?

Honestly, you wont know until you buy it and build for yourself.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Hey folks, some questions for ya. I have an old PC that I still can't replace due to life circumstances, and was wondering if I could get away with slapping a more current GPU in it as a bandaid measure.

i7-4790K
16 GB DDR3
EVGA GTX 1080 ti
and I game in ultrawide 3440x1440.

Now, currently I can play most everything I want, but of course it doesn't run at the highest of fps. I was thinking something along the lines of a RTX 4060 ti, but wasn't sure how a PCIe 4.0 card would play with my PCIe 3.0 x16 slot.

I'm running all this in a Corsair 250d mini-itx build, so I can't go ape-ass wild with the size of the GPU, however MSI makes a 4060 ti that'll fit just fine.

Anyway, opinions on this? I know I'll be CPU-bound, but was thinking maybe an RTX card would extend my PC life just a little bit longer....

GreatnessRD

Hey folks, some questions for ya. I have an old PC that I still can't replace due to life circumstances, and was wondering if I could get away with slapping a more current GPU in it as a bandaid measure.

i7-4790K
16 GB DDR3
EVGA GTX 1080 ti

Now, currently I can play most everything I want, but of course it doesn't run at the highest of fps. I was thinking something along the lines of a RTX 4060 ti, but wasn't sure how a PCIe 4.0 card would play with my PCIe 3.0 x16 slot.

I'm running all this in a Corsair 250d mini-itx build, so I can't go ape-ass wild with the size of the GPU, however MSI makes a 4060 ti that'll fit just fine.

Anyway, opinions on this? I know I'll be CPU-bound, but was thinking maybe an RTX card would extend my PC life just a little bit longer....
Even with you playing at 1440p, I think the CPU is gonna make it wasted money even still. You'll probably be back at square one being on PCIe 3.0, too. So in my opinion, I'd say continue to wait. The 1080 Ti is still a damn good card.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

i7-4790K
16 GB DDR3
EVGA GTX 1080 ti

A 4060 Ti would be absolutely wasted on that. For starters, its an absolutely terrible GPU in terms of value. It's severely gimped. It also runs in X8 configuration, which means that it will be gimped even more and running at PCI3.0 X8 mode. That motherboard and CPU combo needs to be replaced and ASAP. A 6800 can be had for less than the 4060 Ti and it's much faster. Ray tracing is so gimped in the 4060 that it would be better kept off.

For the cost of the 4060 Ti, get a 7600X/B650E/32GB DDR5 combo OR get a 13600K/Z690 combo of some sort. It will be money infinitely better spent than getting a 4060 Ti.

Even with you playing at 1440p, I think the CPU is gonna make it wasted money even still. You'll probably be back at square one being on PCIe 3.0, too. So in my opinion, I'd say continue to wait. The 1080 Ti is still a damn good card.
This. It's better to keep the 1080 Ti than upgrade to a 4060 Ti. It's technically faster than a 1080 Ti, but it's such a gimped card and will be even worsely gimped on the 4790K.

Rossco EZ

Very happy with the new Keyboard :love:

ZEEoSEW.jpg

Thaedolus

Alright I’ve already got an RTX4080, an 800w PSU I bought at the same time, and ~$1500 budget to get a new case, CPU, mobo, RAM, NVMEs and cooling shit. I should have everything else I need.

What do.

CPU-wise, I’m looking for whatever brand does the best with emulation performance on top of high end PC gaming. Form factor-wise, I like the idea of this giant GPU being vertical rather than hanging from the case/mobo with all that weight and leverage…I’m not sure what the form factor is where you’d be mounting it that way is called. Cooling, I’m not going to do anything super fancy. Keeping the GPU on air, I wouldn’t mind an AIO liquid cooler for the CPU, that’s what I have now and it’s fine. I’d prefer a mobo that has Bluetooth and wifi capabilities built in, though I’m planning to wire gigabit Ethernet to it directly

I’m sure I can find the parts that meet my needs by checking some boxes but if anyone has some hands on experience with some quality ones to recommend, that’d swell.

Bojji

Gold Member
Alright I’ve already got an RTX4080, an 800w PSU I bought at the same time, and ~$1500 budget to get a new case, CPU, mobo, RAM, NVMEs and cooling shit. I should have everything else I need.

What do.

CPU-wise, I’m looking for whatever brand does the best with emulation performance on top of high end PC gaming. Form factor-wise, I like the idea of this giant GPU being vertical rather than hanging from the case/mobo with all that weight and leverage…I’m not sure what the form factor is where you’d be mounting it that way is called. Cooling, I’m not going to do anything super fancy. Keeping the GPU on air, I wouldn’t mind an AIO liquid cooler for the CPU, that’s what I have now and it’s fine. I’d prefer a mobo that has Bluetooth and wifi capabilities built in, though I’m planning to wire gigabit Ethernet to it directly

I’m sure I can find the parts that meet my needs by checking some boxes but if anyone has some hands on experience with some quality ones to recommend, that’d swell.

7800X3D is the best CPU in terms of gaming performance, power draw AND emulation:

emulation-ps3.png

It's the best you can get right now.

amigastar

Congratulations on the new card, homie. Which one did you pick up?
thanks, man.
this one: Gainward GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ghost OC:
600 bucks

Last edited:

peish

Gold Member
recently got some ddr5 7200 cl34 for my 12700k/asus mobo, loaded the xmp profile, it did not like it.
booted into windows but errors all over the place.

will try updating the bios and playing with settings. let's see what happens.
well, only managed to get ddr5 6600 stable so far (16gb x2).
my z690 board isnt fancy, but i was hoping for more.
anyone managing fast ddr5 speeds on 12th gen intel CPUs? like 7000+?

also my CPU temps seem... wrong.
gaming, it's high 30s to low 40s... and thats with a 3090 dumping heat into the air that goes into the CPU radiator.

was thinking of upgrading from

i7 9700k, 32GB DDR4, 3070Ti

to

Ryzen 7800x3d, 32GB DDR5, 3070Ti

Think worth it? Games like Cyberpunk and Harry Potter should benefit I'd think. I

Sleepwalker

Almost a month since buying the 4080, everything I throw at it it takes with ease. Ultrawide BG3 at 165fps is a dream.

Current build:

5900x
4080 zotac
64gb ddr4 ram 3200
750w PSU

I have a bunch of spare parts, coolermaster AIO, EVGA 2080s, 3600xt cpu, 32gb ram 3200 so ive been thinking about repurposing them into a second PC for my wife, would need:

Mobo
PSU
Case

But, you guys know how it goes with these things and the little tadpole in my brain is implating bad thoughts in me, so maybe instead of spending more money on building a AM4 pc again, I should upgrade to AM5?

Would need

Mobo
Cpu
Psu
Case
DDR5 ram

I could sell some spare parts and my wifes PC would have a 5900x instead of a 3600xt lol. Is the upgrade to AM5 worth it? I'm not sure I'd go straight to the 7800X3D right away but something like a 7700x should perform better than the 5900x?

I wanna change my mobo as well because it only supports up to gigabit lan and we have 3GBPS internet.

Last edited:

SantaC

Gold Member
Almost a month since buying the 4080, everything I throw at it it takes with ease. Ultrawide BG3 at 165fps is a dream.

Current build:

5900x
4080 zotac
6rgb ddr4 ram 3200
750w PSU

I have a bunch of spare parts, coolermaster AIO, EVGA 2080s, 3600xt cpu, 32gb ram 3200 so ive been thinking about repurposing them into a second PC for my wife, would need:

Mobo
PSU
Case

But, you guys know how it goes with these things and the little tadpole in my brain is implating bad thoughts in me, so maybe instead of spending more money on building a AM4 pc again, I should upgrade to AM5?

Would need

Mobo
Cpu
Psu
Case
DDR5 ram

I could sell some spare parts and my wifes PC would have a 5900x instead of a 3600xt lol. Is the upgrade to AM5 worth it? I'm not sure I'd go straight to the 7800X3D right away but something like a 7700x should perform better than the 5900x?

I wanna change my mobo as well because it only supports up to gigabit lan and we have 3GBPS internet.
yes AM5 is a monster and future proof until 2025 or 2026. Sadly sockets only live on for 3-4 years. For intel it is 2 years at most.

TasManXT

Neo Member
Quick question:

My current rig is:
6700k / 16G 3200 DDR4 / A2000 512G + 128 ssd for the OS. / 1070. Playing on a 144hz 1080p monitor.

At the moment the complete upgrade is not possible for me, but I would love a small upgrade to survive the next year with this pc. The bottleneck is an issue on this resolution with every modern card. Thinking about a 6700xt upgrade. Any thoughts?

peish

Gold Member
Quick question:

My current rig is:
6700k / 16G 3200 DDR4 / A2000 512G + 128 ssd for the OS. / 1070. Playing on a 144hz 1080p monitor.

At the moment the complete upgrade is not possible for me, but I would love a small upgrade to survive the next year with this pc. The bottleneck is an issue on this resolution with every modern card. Thinking about a 6700xt upgrade. Any thoughts?

i dont see why not. you still get low fps bottle necks on 6700k but 6700xt comes with starfield!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Quick question:

My current rig is:

6700XT is still the best bang for buck GPU you can buy. So if that’s all you can get go with it.

However, you really should look to get a CPU/mobo upgrade ASAP. A 5700X/B550 combo can be had for cheap and would give you good gains. You should be able to reuse DDR4

Last edited:

hinch7

Quick question:

My current rig is:

I'd go for it. I can't imagine there being much stock left for them and you won't get better value for a GPU in a long time. And you get a premium version of Starfield bundled with it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd go for it. I can't imagine there being much stock left for them and you won't get better value for a GPU in a long time. And you get a premium version of Starfield bundled with it.
AGreed, but he should get the 6700Xt while it's still in stock and at it's current price. But, he should prioritize upgrading the CPU as well. A B550/5700X combo can be had for well under $300.

Pandemic

Hey guys,

Need a bit of help.

I purchased a new PC approx 4 weeks ago noticed in having issues where I would start up the PC and more often than not, the start up screen would display.

Though, there’d be the odd time where no picture would show on the monitor.

I took it back to the store of purchase and they’ve done a few tests including stress tests, etc though apparently couldn’t repeat the same issue.

The monitor was purchased brand new as well at the same time of purchasing the computer.

Mind you, when no picture displayed on the monitor, I pulled the HDMI cord out of the PC and plugged in a separate HMDI cord to a differing monitor and again, no picture would display.

I’m waiting to pick up the PC and see whether the issue is ongoing though if it is, I’m assuming it’s definitely the monitor and not the PC?

Any help is appreciated! Cheers.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Need a bit of help.

I purchased a new PC approx 4 weeks ago noticed in having issues where I would start up the PC and more often than not, the start up screen would display.

Though, there’d be the odd time where no picture would show on the monitor.

I took it back to the store of purchase and they’ve done a few tests including stress tests, etc though apparently couldn’t repeat the same issue.

The monitor was purchased brand new as well at the same time of purchasing the computer.

Mind you, when no picture displayed on the monitor, I pulled the HDMI cord out of the PC and plugged in a separate HMDI cord to a differing monitor and again, no picture would display.

I’m waiting to pick up the PC and see whether the issue is ongoing though if it is, I’m assuming it’s definitely the monitor and not the PC?

Any help is appreciated! Cheers.
Are the GPU drivers up to date? If not then do a clean install and update them. Honestly, even if they are up to date I'd still recommend doing this.... First, download Display Driver Uninstaller which will wipe all GPU drivers. Either disconnect from the internet or select the option (under advanced options) in DDU to disable Windows updating drivers. Once your PC has restarted install your drivers. Updating drivers should fix most issues but of course it could be a hardware problem. You can download Nvidia drivers for the 4080 (i assume you went with that according to your previous post):

Trying different cables/displays is a good way to troubleshoot. So if the issue is happening on different displays with different cables then it's more likely to be your PC.

It could be a handshake issue between the monitor and GPU. In what order do you turn your monitor/PC on? Try powering on the PC first then waiting a few seconds before turning on your PC. Try turning your monitor on first then PC. If your monitor has different inputs then switch between them, even if you don't have anything else plugged in, to see if you can catch a signal.

If you're still have the issue even after updating drivers/troubleshooting and If you feel confident doing so then remove the GPU from your PC so you can run on your CPUs integrated graphics. When you get back into Windows run Display Driver Uninstaller again and let Windows download GPU drivers for your integrated graphics. See if the issue persists when you're on integrated graphics. If it doesn't then it's likely your GPU causing the issue. If it still happens then I don't know... it's probably something to do with the CPU or Motherboard. You could update the BIOS and see if that helps. If you don't want to do that then just take it back to the store.

Last edited:

Pandemic

Are the GPU drivers up to date? If not then do a clean install and update them. Honestly, even if they are up to date I'd still recommend doing this.... First, download Display Driver Uninstaller which will wipe all GPU drivers. Either disconnect from the internet or select the option (under advanced options) in DDU to disable Windows updating drivers. Once your PC has restarted install your drivers. Updating drivers should fix most issues but of course it could be a hardware problem. You can download Nvidia drivers for the 4080 (i assume you went with that according to your previous post):

Trying different cables/displays is a good way to troubleshoot. So if the issue is happening on different displays with different cables then it's more likely to be your PC.

It could be a handshake issue between the monitor and GPU. In what order do you turn your monitor/PC on? Try powering on the PC first then waiting a few seconds before turning on your PC. Try turning your monitor on first then PC. If your monitor has different inputs then switch between them, even if you don't have anything else plugged in, to see if you can catch a signal.

If you're still have the issue even after updating drivers/troubleshooting and If you feel confident doing so then remove the GPU from your PC so you can run on your CPUs integrated graphics. When you get back into Windows run Display Driver Uninstaller again and let Windows download GPU drivers for your integrated graphics. See if the issue persists when you're on integrated graphics. If it doesn't then it's likely your GPU causing the issue. If it still happens then I don't know... it's probably something to do with the CPU or Motherboard. You could update the BIOS and see if that helps. If you don't want to do that then just take it back to the store.
Thanks very much for the detailed response mate, appreciate it.

I’ll have a play around with what you suggested once I get the PC back.

Out of curiosity and it may sound like a silly question.

When I turned the PC on with monitor and cable A and it didn’t display anything. In that same initial PC start up, if I replaced the plug in with monitor and cable B, should monitor B show a picture if it was in-fact monitor A having issues?

And if monitor B also doesn’t show any picture, it’s then the PC?

Or does the PC need to be restarted before you can plug monitor and cable B in to see if the issue is ongoing?

Hopefully that makes sense.

When I turned the PC on with monitor and cable A and it didn’t display anything. In that same initial PC start up, if I replaced the plug in with monitor and cable B, should monitor B show a picture if it was in-fact monitor A having issues?

Or does the PC need to be restarted before you can plug monitor and cable B in to see if the issue is ongoing?

Yeah that's it. You're just swapping the monitor/cable to see if it's the monitor/cable causing it as a process of elimination. If you swap it out and it's still happening then it's probably the PC.

Generally if you're having display/cable issues then swapping them out without turning off is fine but in this situation you might need to restart if the issue is happening when you turn the PC on. I had some monitor issues myself yesterday and usually swapping the cables out works but I had to turn my PC off completely then swap it over for it to work again.

edit: if you need more help then this could help further troubleshooting:

When you're not getting any display do you still have audio? Do you hear the Windows start up noise or anything?

Also, when you're not getting display are any LEDs lit on your motherboard. On your particular motherboard (if you went with the z90 gaming x ax) i'm talking about the LEDs located to the bottom right of your RAM slots as highlighted here:

rqBXk83.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Yeah, nvidia GPUs are known for monitor handshake issues. Things like going to sleep and not waking up and known nvidia issues. Not super common, but they do happen.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I had a similar issue on my PC, where the GPU wouldn't initilize. There seemed to be a weird issue with my Samsung Monitor and my GPU.

The way to overcome that issue, is that I would press the menu button on my monitor to wake it up and then the system would boot normally. Makes zero sense, but thats the solution.

Yeah, nvidia GPUs are known for monitor handshake issues. Things like going to sleep and not waking up and known nvidia issues. Not super common, but they do happen.
Since upgrading to a 4080 i've had display issues. I was originally dual booting Windows + Linux but when I put in the 4080 i wasn't getting any display at all. I managed to get it working for windows but could never get it to work with Ubuntu. Maybe it was just a linux driver issue.

And since moving to AM5 i can't get any display output until the windows log in screen. If I change cable to HDMI then everything works but I need Displayport to use G-sync on my monitor. So if I want to get into BIOS i need to move to HDMI. I'm not going into BIOS a lot so it's not a big problem but it's annoying. Even with displayport I can't boot into BIOS if i spam DEL. It's probably an issue with the motherboard BIOS. It's as if when using Displayport the PC doesn't recognise my GPU or even my keyboard until the Windows log in screen.

I've tried searching online and have found some others with it but there doesn't seem to be a solution. Well one "solution" is to disable Secure Boot and use CSM but doing that would mean disabling ReBar (so a performance loss) and secure boot which some games require. I'm left with this work around and hoping that a future BIOS or GPU driver update will fix it.

Last edited:

draliko

I wanted to wait until starfield (can't stand 30fps no more) to decide what gpu to buy but after playing remnant2 on xsx i feel like i don't want to wait anymore and compromise so heavily on the framerate side.... i know that it is simply a not really well optimized game but still everything that came to console and pc and have problems (remnant, jedi, etc) has way less problem on pc than console (let's say a "technical mess" game is bad everywhere) and august/september has some really nice games that i'd like to play on pc vs console (bg3, starfield, city skyline2)... anyway... i was set on buying a 7900xt (mainly for the vram), but since i play on a 1440p monitor and i don't really mind highfps in the hundreds (i have a 144hz vrr monitor but i just want stable 60fps used to cap everything at 72fps and pump up the graphics) a couple of friends swayed me on a 4070ti (mainly for dlss) or a 4070 (if you don't mind conceding fps), or a 6950xt (untill they last). I plan to leave console space and keep playing on pc going forward so i will probably update again when next gen console will be out or when i find a decent offer (2026 at earliest) so the prices i found in italy are the following:
- 4070 600€
- 6950xt 670€
- 4070ti 800€
- 7900xt 900€
Money is not really a "problem" but i hate to overspend and if i spend less i usually feel less guilty if i upgrade sooner :) also the combo 5800x3d plus a 4070 would cost me the same as 7900xt (rocking a 5600x now)... so any suggestion.. i know i posted a similar question some time ago, but september is around the corner, and i think will we have another gpu shortage soon, ai tech is gobbling up everything they can.

Thanks!

amigastar

I wanted to wait until starfield (can't stand 30fps no more) to decide what gpu to buy but after playing remnant2 on xsx i feel like i don't want to wait anymore and compromise so heavily on the framerate side.... i know that it is simply a not really well optimized game but still everything that came to console and pc and have problems (remnant, jedi, etc) has way less problem on pc than console (let's say a "technical mess" game is bad everywhere) and august/september has some really nice games that i'd like to play on pc vs console (bg3, starfield, city skyline2)... anyway... i was set on buying a 7900xt (mainly for the vram), but since i play on a 1440p monitor and i don't really mind highfps in the hundreds (i have a 144hz vrr monitor but i just want stable 60fps used to cap everything at 72fps and pump up the graphics) a couple of friends swayed me on a 4070ti (mainly for dlss) or a 4070 (if you don't mind conceding fps), or a 6950xt (untill they last). I plan to leave console space and keep playing on pc going forward so i will probably update again when next gen console will be out or when i find a decent offer (2026 at earliest) so the prices i found in italy are the following:
- 4070 600€
- 6950xt 670€
- 4070ti 800€
- 7900xt 900€
Money is not really a "problem" but i hate to overspend and if i spend less i usually feel less guilty if i upgrade sooner :) also the combo 5800x3d plus a 4070 would cost me the same as 7900xt (rocking a 5600x now)... so any suggestion.. i know i posted a similar question some time ago, but september is around the corner, and i think will we have another gpu shortage soon, ai tech is gobbling up everything they can.

Thanks!
Do you have a preference, Nvidia or AMD?
I for myself have a Nvidia preference.

Last edited:

draliko

Do you have a preference, Nvidia or AMD?
I for myself have a Nvidia preference.
not really, had both in the past, not really sold on rt (but i must say didn't had a rt capable gpu in the past or a game where it made a real difference). Nvidia seems way more mature sw side (dlss in primis) and less power hungry, amd offer better raster perf but fsr3 is still nowhere to be seen (and on bg3 dlss seems way superior to fsr). Resale value seems to favor nvidia, but amd is cheaper so in the end they're similar... short story.. no i don't REALLY have a preference... other than i'd prefer a silent card if possible (i play with headphones but not always)

amigastar

not really, had both in the past, not really sold on rt (but i must say didn't had a rt capable gpu in the past or a game where it made a real difference). Nvidia seems way more mature sw side (dlss in primis) and less power hungry, amd offer better raster perf but fsr3 is still nowhere to be seen (and on bg3 dlss seems way superior to fsr). Resale value seems to favor nvidia, but amd is cheaper so in the end they're similar... short story.. no i don't REALLY have a preference... other than i'd prefer a silent card if possible (i play with headphones but not always)
Like i said, my preference is Nvida, it has better RT performance and DLSS3 etc. But it may not be the best card for you, so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom