• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Microsoft might surprise a bunch of people

szaromir

Banned
They don't have to do shit. They choose to.
Sony does just fine, still cranking out major new IP exclusives for PS3 this year.

I just have my doubts on Microsoft casting that cashcow aside with a new console. I'd be delighted if they were able to refocus on the core but who knows nowadays. The rumors aren't doing them any favors either.
What cashcow? Kinect is going to be in every device, they won't be able to sell it for $150 anymore. If they won't be able to make money on the device itself, why push it, especially if they already sold the gimmick with Kinect 1? They will have to come up with something new, what's that remains to be seen.

PSP -> Vita transition already shows that 'just like the previous one but better' doesn't work with video game hardware anymore. Durango will have to have its own selling points.

See you and others are basing next gen on what is happening late in this gen. That is not the correct way to look at it. 360 already had it's life so releasing those sequels and other apps are just things that happen late in a cycle. In a new gen you start over and need to prove yourself again.

The 360 isn't dead. Games such as Halo 4 and GOW: Judgement are HUGE AAA games. Microsoft hasn't abandoned the system like so many people would have everyone believe.

What cashcow? Kinect is going to be in every device, they won't be able to sell it for $150 anymore. If they won't be able to make money on the device itself, why push it, especially if they already sold the gimmick with Kinect 1? They will have to come up with something new, what's that remains to be seen.

PSP -> Vita transition already shows that 'just like the previous one but better' doesn't work with video game hardware anymore. Durango will have to have its own selling points.

This is what excites me about the potential kinect 2. Microsoft knows this too.

Seventy5

Keep underestimating them,you will see.
I just don't think they have any creativity left as far as games go. Don't may have given us 3 Uncharteds, but they also brought stuff like lbp and Journey and even Sly 4. MS never would have funded that stuff. The most creative thing out of MS in the last there years was gesture based ads. Yay?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sony puts those put because they have to,they are playing catch up. Plus they had their studios set for a long time,MS has many new studios that are new.

Well, Sony putting out new IP exclusives resonates a lot better with me than shoving some "entertainment" angle down my throat and basically letting a system coast on the casual audience. And I have no idea what you even mean by saying they are playing catch up.

Still, i'm anxious to see what those new studios have in store. I have plenty of room in my TV unit for two whirring black boxes this year, so if MS brings it back, they have a sale.

they will and i'm going to find it hilarious when the people who are doubting them eat crow. MS have been setting up First party studios for years now I'm going to tell you how i think it will go down.

These are my educated guesses

Kinect Studios

Good Science Studio
Kids and Lifestyle Entertainment
Playful Learning( this is a maybe)
Soho Productions
BigPark(sharing small kinect duties)

AAA development studios

Bigpark
Rare
Lionhead
Turn10
blacktusk
343( i expect them to make a halo spinoff)
Platform Next Studios(maybe?)
Bigpark(rumored I believe it)

Smaller niche/arcade studios
Twistedpixel( I think they might surprise us with a big release)
big park
Lift London
Press Play

2nd/3rd Party exclusive studios

Lucid?
crytek
playgroundgames ( I can see them being purchased)
4J Studios
epic ?
Remedy
Signal Studios( I can see them being purchased)
undead labs

Its going to be close this generation IMO with output MS seems to be better positioned then ever before.

szaromir

Banned
I just don't think they have any creativity left as far as games go. Don't may have given us 3 Uncharteds, but they also brought stuff like lbp and Journey and even Sly 4. MS never would have funded that stuff. The most creative thing out of MS in the last there years was gesture based ads. Yay?
Eh, there is plenty of interesting ideas coming out of Microsoft. Sony also can be very cynical with their publishing strategies, I mean it couldn't get more blatant than Sony Smash Bros.

Izick

I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves. I think we don't know enough about Microsoft's goals right now, and going off of what Microsoft has done late this generation with the 360 is a bad idea because it just doesn't really make sense.

Bgamer90

Banned

If they didn't "choose to", the 360 wouldn't be doing as well as it's currently doing.

Therefore, they had to market the 360 to different demographics for the system to continue to sell well.

Sony does just fine, still cranking out major new IP exclusives for PS3 this year.

And MS would rather save the money to make them for a new console that isn't almost 10 years old.

Why make them for a really old console when the new console isn't far away? Why make new IPs for a console at a time in which there are ton of well established franchises it would compete with?

The new IP would get more attention on a new console since if it's good, the game will be a reason to buy the console, which then sets up that new IP into becoming a series with sequels. Plus, the new IP wouldn't have to compete with many games since the console wouldn't have that many (since the console's new).

How well did the most recent PS3 exclusives do?

I just have my doubts on Microsoft casting that cashcow aside with a new console. I'd be delighted if they were able to refocus on the core but who knows nowadays. The rumors aren't doing them any favors either.

Rumors vs. actual evidence that MS is putting money in new core exclusive games for their next gen console.

Seventy5

Eh, there is plenty of interesting ideas coming out of Microsoft. Sony also can be very cynical with their publishing strategies, I mean it couldn't get more blatant than Sony Smash Bros.
That was one of many games though. What has MS done that is interesting and not focused on Kinect?

I think too many on basing how the new console will be on what MS had to do with an almost 10 year old console to continue on selling it to people who still don't have one yet.

If MS would have continued creating new IP's for gamers other than going all in on the kinect crowd, they wouldn't be facing this backlash. MS really should of sought out some middle ground and struck a balance between the two demographics they were targeting.

Now I'm not anti xbox by any means. I can however understand why some are feeling MS veered away from core gaming. My only worry about MS next gen is that once they catch.a.good amount of core gamers they'll stop producing core titles. Unfortunately due to MS's history it is a valid worry.

Sponge

Banned
I'm not gonna lie, I'm really bitter about how Rare was treated at the end of this generation. I really do want Microsoft to surprise me. I loved what was I given up until the restructure, but I never was a big fan of Halo or Gears.

Maybe the next Xbox won't be targeted for me, but I hope they find someway to prove me otherwise.

If MS would have continued creating new IP's for gamers other than going all in on the kinect crowd, they wouldn't be facing this backlash. MS really should of sought out some middle ground and struck a balance between the two demographics they were targeting.

Now I'm not anti xbox by any means. I can however understand why some are feeling MS veered away from core gaming. My only worry about MS next gen is that once they catch.a.good amount of core gamers they'll stop producing core titles. Unfortunately due to MS's history it is a valid worry.
Very true, they got to predictable in the end.

Arkage

Banned
What do you consider a bit sized game? Games like Fez and Bastion are longer than many retail games.

I'm talking specifically of the $1 cell phone type that are used to fill time for the casual crowd. Zyngas or Rovios of the sort. And I don't just limit it by game size, but controls. I can't imagine controlling Bastion by touch, and wouldn't really want to in comparison to a controller/game pad. When given the choice, I always choose the system with better controls - it's akin to picking the game with better gameplay for me.

they will and i'm going to find it hilarious when the people who are doubting them eat crow. MS have been setting up First party studios for years now I'm going to tell you how i think it will go down.

These are my educated guesses

Kinect Studios

Good Science Studio
Kids and Lifestyle Entertainment
Playful Learning( this is a maybe)
Soho Productions
BigPark(sharing small kinect duties)

AAA development studios

Bigpark
Rare
Lionhead
Turn10
blacktusk
343( i expect them to make a halo spinoff)
Platform Next Studios(maybe?)
Bigpark(rumored I believe it)

Smaller niche/arcade studios
Twistedpixel( I think they might surprise us with a big release)
big park
Lift London
Press Play

2nd/3rd Party exclusive studios

Lucid?
crytek
playgroundgames ( I can see them being purchased)
4J Studios
epic ?
Remedy
Signal Studios( I can see them being purchased)
undead labs

Its going to be close this generation IMO with output MS seems to be better positioned then ever before.

i hope they don't make a halo spinoff,that franchise needs a huge rest along with gears. i dont expect them too anyways since they have games out recently. i see a crackdown 3,alan wake 2 and forza 5 though.

Derrick01

Banned

I don't even need nothing but new IPs. I would have taken a Banjo nuts and bolts 2 for instance. Or a Lost Odyssey 2. They just happened to stick to 2 franchises I couldn't give less of a shit about and Epic kind of ran Gears of War into the ground with 3 so I no longer care about that at all.

Sponge

Banned
I don't even need nothing but new IPs. I would have taken a Banjo nuts and bolts 2 for instance. Or a Lost Odyssey 2. They just happened to stick to 2 franchises I couldn't give less of a shit about and Epic kind of ran Gears of War into the ground with 3 so I no longer care about that at all.

Same. Nuts & Bolts may not have been the Banjo game I wanted, but it was fine game on its own. I would have taken dozens more of Viva Pinata, Kameo, even Perfect Dark. Lost Odyssey was a really great game too, I wouldn't mind another.

Miles X

They 'veered' away (they didn't) from core gaming so you say?

No, they scaled back new IP, and it makes absolute perfect business sense. It's only the entitled that demand new IP year in year out.

Yes the Last of Us should be a success, but does it out weigh all the new IP bombs Sony has had lately? Wasn't most of their output last year new IP (or at least relatively unknown) look how that went down.

Fact of the matter is MS think with their business heads on. New IP the first half of the gen, (i.e make an effort) coast the second half of the gen (the time to focus on profit)

It's not wonderful from a gamers perspective no. But it's the most logical way of running things and they're better off financially for it.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Lost Odyssey 2 would be a system seller for me.

Bgamer90

Banned

I think that they did give a good balance. They gave core gamers sequels to the most popular core gaming exclusive Xbox franchises and good core games on XBLA while at the same time, bringing out kinect games for the casual audience.

Also, you say "new IP" as if that automatically equals a good game. I'm sure that most would rather take a good game that's a sequel than a subpar game that's a new IP.

And I guess that's another reason why I don't fully get the complaints... new IP for core gaming audience =/= an automatic good game.

I think that they did give a good balance. They gave core gamers sequels to the most popular core gaming exclusive Xbox franchises and good core games on XBLA while at the same time, bringing out kinect games for the casual audience.

Also, you say "new IP" as if that automatically equals a good game. I'm sure that most would rather take a good game that's a sequel than a subpar game that's a new IP.

And I guess that's another reason why I don't fully get the complaints... new IP for core gaming audience =/= an automatic good game.

There is new ip too,they ignore it for some strange reason. Mark of the Ninja for example.

DEADEVIL

First off if that's how you feel then simply keep playing your PS3 and buy a PS4. What else is there to be said.

But, like a couple of folks clearly pointed out, that Micrsoft is making perfect sense releasing their heavy hitters late in the cycle.

You won't acknowledge that the 360 is going on it's 8th year and Sony is going on their 7th.

You claim that only Sony is still cranking out 'major new Ips' but let's look at the whole picture.

The last major new IP Sony released was 3 years ago with Heavy rain, which is the same year as Alan Wake on the 360.

The two Ips everyone says are being cranked out are Last of Us and Beyond.

Naughty Dog release Uncharted 1,2,3 back to back 2 years in between and now they have a new team led by the Enslaved Lead designer who will is now releasing Last of us a year and a half after Uncharted 3.

Microsoft did something similiar where Turn 10 released 3 Forza Motorsports back to back with two years in between. They then partnered up with Playground games and released Forza Horizon, which although wasnt a new IP or a sequel they chose to develop it as a spin-off.
a year later.

Beyond has no release date yet. But even if it is released in say September of this year we are talking 3 and a half years after Heavy Rain.

In summary, others may understand why MS ended the gen releasing it's two most beloved franchises, Halo 4 literally it's most expensive game in Xbox history, while gamers still get to play State of Decay, Loco Cycle, and Ascension: New Gods on XBLA .

While in the same exact year, releasing a new console and a bunch of New Ips that people are claiming that MS hasnt released.

Makes sense to me and the millions of Xbox core gamers that stand at midnight picking up the games.

Hoo-doo

Banned
There is new ip too,they ignore it for some strange reason. Mark of the Ninja for example.

PSN games like Journey, Unfinished Swan or Tokyo Jungle also rarely get brought up in these discussions. Everyone knows that both platforms bring good new IP's to their download services.

Izick

PSN games like Journey, Unfinished Swan or Tokyo Jungle also rarely get brought up in these discussions. Everyone knows that both platforms bring good new IP's to their download services.

I disagree with that. Journey gets tones of (deserved) praise, and multiple people listed Tokyo Jungle as their favorite Sony IP in that "what PS4 game would you like to see" thread. Unfinished Swan doesn't seem to get as much praise as it should though.

If they didn't "choose to", the 360 wouldn't be doing as well as it's currently doing.

Therefore, they had to market the 360 to different demographics for the system to continue to sell well.
Again, this is business talk. I as a gamer don't nor should care if Microsoft is making money or not. I want them to make exclusive games and new IPs even late in the cycle. I don't have that much money, so I buy a console for all the years, not only the first 5 years. If they can't deliver on that, then why should I support them? Because they are smart? Sorry, this doesn't work from a consumer perspective. Excuse me if this sounds greedy, but I can't understand how anyone can defend a company for doing the right "business" decisions. You should demand more.

It should be brought up[journey] a game is a game after all. Not sure why it matters where it's acquired from. The games depend on peoples taste,some may not even want any of sony's ip's which is why most don't sell. Quantity doesn't always win against quality.

Again, this is business talk. I as a gamer don't nor should care if Microsoft is making money or not. I want them to make exclusive games and new IPs even late in the cycle. I don't have that much money, so I buy a console for all the years, not only the first 5 years. If they can't deliver on that, then why should I support them? Because they are smart? Sorry, this doesn't work from a consumer perspective. Excuse me if this sounds greedy, but I can't understand how anyone can defend a company for doing the right "business" decisions. You should demand more.

And i think you will be seeing that next gen since all these new studios are up and running. This gen they had to build new studios.

Again, this is business talk. I as a gamer don't nor should care if Microsoft is making money or not.

You should care a lot. If Sony continues to not make money, there won't be more consoles/handhelds from them. Sega didn't make much money either, and now their console biz has joined Atari's.

And i think you will be seeing that next gen since all these new studios are up and running. This gen they had to build new studios.

Microsoft wouldn't have had to build all these new studios if they didn't kill the old ones.

You should care a lot. If Sony continues to not make money, there won't be more consoles/handhelds from them. Sega didn't make much money either, and now their console biz has joined Atari's.

Microsoft wouldn't have had to build all these new studios if they didn't kill the old ones.

I agree, i didn't like that they closed those studios either.

Bgamer90

Banned

But if they don't make good business decisions then how will they be able to make more games?

Or is that a silly question? How can they continue to make new IPs if they release them at a time in which they would more than likely not do well since they would compete against various more popular long-running franchises?

You do realize that money and smart business decisions are needed for new IPs to do well correct? Therefore, why is it wrong for me to bring that up? I want new IPs to do well so that we get EVEN MORE new IPs since those new IPs would be less of a risk to make.

You said you "...buy a console for all of its years, not just five." But how could that console last even 5 years if the company doesn't make smart decisions?

The thing is, the backlash is something that has just been made up by a very small segment of gamers. Most people are fine with Halo 4 and another Gears in the 360s final year. The exclusives that Sony puts out this year will sell far fewer units than those 2 games. The exclusives Sony pushes are a nice thing to talk about on message boards but they really dont sell that many copies. They wont sell as much as something like Trials Evolution.

Also why when comparing consoles do people bring up games on Steam? For example Mark of the Ninja, that didnt come out on PSN but people dismiss it because its on Steam. There is a very large portion of the gaming audience that has absolutely no interest in gaming on the PC, myself included, so games such as Mark of the Ninja, Spelunky, or Bastion are very valid examples of games that MS offered that were good for gamers this year.

Derrick01

Banned
So you still gave money to Microsoft then. :)

Yeah, I gave them 7-10 bucks instead of ~200 for a console and other money on games.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad I played it on a superior platform but that's where Sony gets a lot of my money. If they offered their games on PC I'd play them on PC (at greatly reduced prices too) but they don't, so I have to buy a ps3 and then hold on to it, paying for things like PS+ and whatever else I spend money on.

The thing is, the backlash is something that has just been made up by a very small segment of gamers. Most people are fine with Halo 4 and another Gears in the 360s final year. The exclusives that Sony puts out this year will sell far fewer units than those 2 games. The exclusives Sony pushes are a nice thing to talk about on message boards but they really dont sell that many copies.
That's fine for them. But I care about me :) and I want them to cater to me for a change. We're the foundation that gives them the option to go after those other gamers. And I love that Sony keeps churning out games ( and new ips) and doesn't completely shuts it down a year before the next console launch like Nintendo and Microsoft has done.

But if they don't make good business decisions then how will they be able to make more games?

Or is that a silly question? How can they continue to make new IPs if they release them at a time in which they would more than likely not do well since they would compete against various more popular long-running franchises?

You do realize that money and smart business decisions are needed for new IPs to do well correct? Therefore, why is it wrong for me to bring that up? I want new IPs to do well so that we get EVEN MORE new IPs since those new IPs would be less of a risk to make.

You said you "...buy a console for all of its years, not just five." But how could that console last even 5 years if the company doesn't make smart decisions?
New big IP's are doing well at the end years of this generation. Is there a a lot of evidence of big new IP's not doing well in past generations at the tail end? MoH, GT, Gow, and SotC did well, so are sleeping dogs and dishonored this gen, TLoU is looking like it might.

EagleEyes

Yeah, I gave them 7-10 bucks instead of ~200 for a console and other money on games.
Doesn't really matter how much you gave them because the point is you still did. You seem to be giving a conflicting point of view. Edit: You're glad you played it on a superior platform? You mean Windows? Thats more money you gave Microsoft. :p

That's fine for them. But I care about me :) and I want them to cater to me for a change. We're the foundation that gives them the option to go after those other gamers. And I love that Sony keeps churning out games ( and new ips) and doesn't completely shuts it down a year before the next console launch like Nintendo and Microsoft has done.

No you are not. You are a very small portion of a minority. The vast majority of the people who buy consoles do not have this complaint. Most of the people are going to look at what games are available this November and make a decision then. They arent going to base it off some make believe notion that MS abandoned the 360.

Microsoft has shut it down? Their 3 biggest franchises are going to be released within a year of the new console, Halo, Gears, and Forza. It is nothing like Nintendo at all.

Bgamer90

Banned
New big IP's are doing well at the end years of this generation. Is there a a lot of evidence of big new IP's not doing well in past generations at the tail end? MoH, GT, Gow, and SotC did well, so are sleeping dogs and dishonored this gen, TLoU is looking like it might.

I didn't say that they WON'T do well at all. I said that it's more of a risk, especially with the budgets being much more now than they were during previous gens. Games like Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored are multiplatform so they get good buzz alone for being games that various people could buy no matter the system.

TLoU may do well. It is coming out at a very busy time though.

No you are not. You are a very small portion of a minority. The vast majority of the people who buy consoles do not have this complaint. Most of the people are going to look at what games are available this November and make a decision then. They arent going to base it off some make believe notion that MS abandoned the 360.

Microsoft has shut it down? Their 3 biggest franchises are going to be released within a year of the new console, Halo, Gears, and Forza. It is nothing like Nintendo at all.

i wouldn't call forza big. fable is bigger. also i would prefer crackdown 3 instead of over saturating their big franchises.

I didn't say that they WON'T do well at all. I said that it's more of a risk, especially with the budgets being much more now than they were during previous gens. Games like Sleeping Dogs and Dishonored are multiplatform so they get good buzz alone for being games that various people could buy no matter the system.
Success for new big IP's seem to happen a good amount at the tail end of the gen though, successes and failures can happen at the beginning to as well as the end. Don't really see much to show the difference in risk is that big.

Ummm... but if they don't make good business decisions then how will they be able to make more games?

You do realize that money and smart business decisions is needed for new IPs to do well correct? Therefore, why is it wrong for me to bring that up? I want new IPs to do well so that we get EVEN MORE new IPs since those new IPs would be less of a risk to make.

You said you, "...Buy a console for all of its years, not just five." But how could that console last 5+ years if the company doesn't make smart decisions?
Apparently Sony can do it and they still live. They are doing bad, but it's not like they have no more money to fund future games. They have their bombas, but this comes down to their piss poor marketing and not the time we are living in. New IPs can still sell well even in the last year of the cycle. I can already guarantee you TLOU will do at least 3 million. Not every game needs to do that much or even more to be considered a success for Microsoft. Alan Wake flopped badly compared to their other franchises and this was in 2010, where other new IPs still sold way better. They simply fucked up with the release window, it's not because it was released late in the cycle.

So I see no reason why they couldn't do it. They are swimming in money right now, so this wouldn't hurt them. It would benefit their image, most of their new games would still return a nice profit because they know how to market them and it would also support the creativity of their teams, since they are not stuck working on the same franchises forever. And I don't want to imply that Sony is the holy grail of new IPs. They are doing their fair share of franchise milking too. I would simply like it more if Microsoft could at least create one or two new IPs late in the cycle or fund more risky stuff. I'm not demanding the impossible here.

szaromir

Banned

Don't get me wrong I'm glad I played it on a superior platform but that's where Sony gets a lot of my money. If they offered their games on PC I'd play them on PC (at greatly reduced prices too) but they don't, so I have to buy a ps3 and then hold on to it, paying for things like PS+ and whatever else I spend money on.

I don't see how it's not in Microsoft's interest for Windows to have a great game library. After all Xbox is just a small side-business, Windows is the platform for them.

Top Bottom