• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Microsoft might surprise a bunch of people

Hanmik

now that this thread has moved on from speculation about software, i can say that i think ms's next presentation will be about the new console and kinect. kinect will take over the show for them. it will be used for the os (optional offcourse but still ms's major focus) , mandatory for games (has to he used one way or another (voice or movement )) . the show will be focused on kinect all the way from the beginning to the end.

kinect is here to stay for microsoft, whether you like it or not.

Izick

The thing that sucks with these things like the Move Bar in the controller, the touchpad, the Kinect, etc. is that most of them aren't on both systems, so it's not easy or worth it for a lot of developers to come up with interesting ways to utilize them because then the other versions will feel cheapened in some way.

I mean I don't like the Kinect. I think it's buggy and limited, but I could see it becoming cool in the future. With that said, if the PS4 doesn't have an exact copy of what it can do (I don't know how close the Stereo Camera is to the Kinect) then why should somebody like Bethesda make the Nextbox version have this big feature, and have a big hole in the other version?

I don't know, that's how I've always thought of it at least.

now that this thread has moved on from speculation about software, i can say that i think ms's next presentation will be about the new console and kinect. kinect will take over the show for them. it will be used for the os (optional offcourse but still ms's major focus) , mandatory for games (has to he used one way or another (voice or movement )) . the show will be focused on kinect all the way from the beginning to the end.

Now this will definitely not happen.

Thank God they won't be doing that then, right? Unless of course you got your hands on an early copy of their launch presentation. If so, do tell. Saying that their goal is first and foremost to push Kinect is as dumb as saying Sony's goal was to first and foremost push the Dual Shock. Let me ease your mind. Call of Duty and a slew of other games will be shown, probably a few money hats, and a great many of them won't require you to waggle or wave to play them. There will probably be a few cringe-worthy moments during the presentation as well on par with Media Molecule and Sucker Punch. Enjoy those moments. It's from them that great gifs and jokes come.

They'll throw hardcore gamers a bone, but that's not where their focus is. It's almost like people have completely forgotten about E3 or the software release schedule for the 360 this year. They prioritized Kinect, Kinect was successful, and they'll continue down that path. I'm not saying that Call of Duty and Madden won't be on the next Xbox, but they're taking the brand in a more casual direction. People either see that or they're blind.

They'll throw hardcore gamers a bone, but that's not where their focus is. It's almost like people have completely forgotten about E3 or the software release schedule for the 360 this year. They prioritized Kinect, Kinect was successful, and they'll continue down that path. I'm not saying that Call of Duty and Madden won't be on the next Xbox, but they're taking the brand in a more casual direction. People either see that or they're blind.

I remember E3. The longest presentations were for Halo 4 and CoD. Neither of which were shown being played with Kinect.
Is that confirmed, BaconSammy? Going to jack prices up if so.

Nope, can't confirm it. Got my info from reading other threads instead of the actual press release. As far as I can tell Sony listed the specs for what will be included with PS4 in addition to the PS Eye. I believe the assumption that the eye will be included is because the dual shock is built with features that can't function without the Eye.

we know kinect is important for MS but you are wrong thinking they won't have a section for games. MS has many developers set up these recent years and no one seems to have noticed. Expect new ip's and some returning franchises along with xbl 3.0. Never underestimate MS.

DEADEVIL

hmm So it does make sense for kinect to ship. I just don't think it makes sense if it literally needs to be plugged for the console to work. lets say if the kinect breaks, then the console becomes a useless doorstop until the kinect is fixed or you get a new one. we shall see.

I'm with you on that one.

I'll take a guess and can be completely wrong.

Kinect in it's current right now is only as good as it's calibration.

Meaning you can play without calibrating the device, but you will have mixed results whether it's a game or you are using your voice.

the weakest link was that you had to keep this card, in order to calibrate the device the best way possible.

Other factors play a part, but this is why some reviewers get away with saying that a certain Kinect game doesnt work at all and other reviewers enjoy that same game or you buy the game and it works perfectly fine.

If MS is making a conscios effort to ensure everyone has the same experience, maybe they are making you initially calibrate Kinect when you launch the system and it automatically detects when it's not calibrated when you are playing certain games.

Or I could be dead wrong and your point is completely valid.

Izick

This is the 360's last year though as the main console. Most of us were expecting console announcements last E3, until the writing was on the wall that it wasn't happening. Microsoft isn't going to let Sony just run off with a whole market that is a big factor in the determination of the software attach rate or whatever the term is for annual games bought for the console per year.

I think the people who are expecting MS to not give a shit are the people who think near-deathbed Xbox 360 Microsoft and newly launched Nextbox Microsoft are the same people.

Nope, can't confirm it. Got my info from reading other threads instead of the actual press release. As far as I can tell Sony listed the specs for what will be included with PS4 in addition to the PS Eye. I believe the assumption that the eye will be included is because the dual shock is built with features that can't function without the Eye.

I'll believe it when I see it. My guess is that it goes in the higher tiered box and that's it. Sony doesn't want to completely price themselves out of contention again.

that is because 360 is on is last legs. Now they are starting again with a new console,expect new ips and notable games to be there.

Seventy5

So if MS fucks up you won't get a Durango and if MS delivers you're still not getting a Durango...wtf?

I've seen a lot of people that have already decided which console to get and even go as far as trying to justify their 9 months from now (lol) purchase...people need to calm down and think, everything pre-launch always sounds perfect with lots of (not) exclusives, lots of cool features, and lots of (we assume) free stuff.

E3 will be the time where we'll be able to tell where we're leaning but right now when we don't know shit about what the big 3 are really cooking I think it's TOO early to decide or even form an opinion about anything.

You forgot Dust: An Elysian Tail & Akai Katana, both really great games IMO.
I am saying MS has list their good will with me and I won't support them anymore. After multiple RRODs and their pay to play to their ads and paying to keep games & doc away from gamers, why would I? All the people who were good for gaming like Allard and More are gone, and I think they are gonna fuck up the next gen. But that's just, like, my opinion dude.

Hanmik

we know kinect is important for MS but you are wrong thinking they won't have a section for games. MS has many developers set up these recent years and no one seems to have noticed. Expect new ip's and some returning franchises along with xbl 3.0. Never underestimate MS.

i never said there wouldn't be any games at the show. just that microsoft will focus heavily on kinect in every way they can.

voice and gesture controlled os.
voice and gesture control in games.
netflix (and all other services) with voice and gesture control.

they will focus alot on that. but they will also show the standard racing, fps and rpg games. just saying that kinect will be a sellling point for them.

Microsoft will surprise a lot of people when the confirm the

1.) Always online, you can't play feature
2.) No used games
3.) No game rentals (blockbuster...etc)
4.) Can't play your games at a friends house.

I bet a lot of people will be upset, when it's official.

Now if they back out on all of those things. I'll be pleasantly surprised!

Either way surprises will happen.

Izick

i never said there wouldn't be any games at the show. just that microsoft will focus heavily on kinect in every way they can.

they will focus alot on that. but they will also show the standard racing, fps and rpg games. just saying that kinect will be a sellling point for them.

Saying Kinect is mandatory is kind of crazy though. Did you mean for first party games?

I am saying MS has list their good will with me and I won't support them anymore. After multiple RRODs and their pay to play to their ads and paying to keep games & doc away from gamers, why would I? All the people who were good for gaming like Allard and More are gone, and I think they are gonna fuck up the next gen. But that's just, like, my opinion dude.

Keep underestimating them,you will see.

madmackem

I really want to see the hungry ms, the ms that launched the 360. You dont launch a games console and aim it at the mainstream casual from the off, they arnt going to be the ones that get you off to your start. Im not saying forget about them for now but you have to skew more towards the gamer at a console launch the casual crowd come later down the road.

Izick

Wasn't there a rumor of Rare hiring for an fps.

I remember hearing a MS studio was developing a sci-fi FPS, but I'm not sure if it was Rare related. Might be wrong though.

------

Oh yeah, you're right.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474476

Interesting...didn't know Lionhead was working on a new IP as well.

I really want to see the hungry ms, the ms that launched the 360. You dont launch a games console and aim it at the mainstream casual from the off, they arnt going to be the ones that get you off to your start. Im not saying forget about them for now but you have to skew more towards the gamer at a console launch the casual crowd come later down the road.

I think they know that though. I think they know the PS4 is going to be big, big trouble for them if they don't have their act together.

Yea i know it will,but it would be in separate segments. Some examples might be:

kinect
XBOX Live 3.0
Games

Hanmik

Saying Kinect is mandatory is kind of crazy though. Did you mean for first party games?

nope. i mean if microsoft really sells kinect with every nextbox, then yes it has to be used by the game developers somehow. but off course if the rumours are wrong and kinect is not included in every nextbox then no it won't be mandatory.
microsoft made a big deal out of "better with kinect" on the 360, and i think this will evolve with nextbox. they have used alot of time and money on kinect, and if rumours are true then they have used even more time and money on the next kinect.

2.) No used games

What makes you think this is real? Anyone can make things up at this juncture. It would be suicide especially since they know the other two aren't doing it.

DEADEVIL

What I mean is, if a product have only negative news/rumors for months before launch, I think it can hurt it, even if the product is not as bad as news and rumors said.

If you believe that then you clearly weren't reading the negativity surronding Kinect the entire year leading up to it's launch. But we see how that turned out after it launched.

Izick

nope. i mean if microsoft really sells kinect with every nextbox, then yes it has to be used by the game developers somehow. but off course if the rumours are wrong and kinect is not included in every nextbox then no it won't be mandatory.
microsoft made a big deal out of "better with kinect" on the 360, and i think this will evolve with nextbox. they have used alot of time and money on kinect, and if rumours are true then they have used even more time and money on the next kinect.

Oh well then you're just wrong. Even if it comes in the box, it's never going to be mandatory for other developers to utilize.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If you believe that then you clearly weren't reading the negativity surronding Kinect the entire year leading up to it's launch. But we see how that turned out after it launched.

Yes. Despised by gaming enthusiasts, loved by the mainstream/casuals/kids/moms whatever you want to call this crowd.

I don't care that it sells well, i'm no investor. I simply like it when Microsoft caters to my tastes and it has been a long time since they have done anything of the sort.

abadguy

Banned

Kinect was barely present at the last E3.

1) Will be a change, but not a surprise to many people that already always play while connected online

2) Big change. Even my nephew hates this idea. He often sells games to buy a new game. Why MS thinks it's their job to fight used games alone is beyond me. They could easily do what Sony did and just not sign a stupid agreement with retailers, and allow third parties to see physical discs or not.

3) You dont know that. There's nothing to stop them from creating versions of games specifically for rental outlets

4) Also untrue. We're talking about Microsoft, not Nintendo. Your purchases will be linked to you, not your hardware.

If it ships in the box, it will more than likely be mandatory that a dev supports it. Not utilizes it in a game, but supports it in so much as its required to interact with the OS.

One of the things that don't add up for me. MS to my knowledge have never made a big thing about being Anti used Game in the past, now all of a sudden out of the blue they are going to be this aggressive about it and likely mess up any chance of being more successful in other markets outside the US? Makes little sense to me.

2.) No used games

1) Will be a change, but not a surprise to many people that already always play while connected online

2) Big change. Even my nephew hates this idea. He often sells games to buy a new game. Why MS thinks it's their job to fight used games alone is beyond me. They could easily do what Sony did and just not sign a stupid agreement with retailers, and allow third parties to see physical discs or not.

3) You dont know that. There's nothing to stop them from creating versions of games specifically for rental outlets

4) Also untrue. We're talking about Microsoft, not Nintendo. Your purchases will be linked to you, not your hardware.

Oh well then you're just wrong. Even if it comes in the box, it's never going to be mandatory for other developers to utilize.

If it ships in the box, it will more than likely be mandatory that a dev supports it. Not utilizes it in a game, but supports it in so much as its required to interact with the OS.

Hanmik

I can say with great confidence that you are wrong.

ok then. lets see after the nextbox event then. if im wrong with my kinect prediction (that it will be the main focus of the show besides the console itself) then you are welcome to call me a shortsighted fool. i'm just speculating here, but speculating based on microsoft and the way they have run the games department the last couple of years.

DEADEVIL

You think we'll see a return of Miss Dark? Perhaps under a different studio, or has that ship sailed?

I personally don't think they will as I'm not sure what they took away from Perfect Dark HD as a reference for demand for the IP.

Even if they did it would, the game would exist to some because it's not a New IP.

szaromir

Banned
Yes. Despised by gaming enthusiasts, loved by the mainstream/casuals/kids/moms whatever you want to call this crowd.

I don't care that it sells well, i'm no investor. I simply like it when Microsoft caters to my tastes and it has been a long time since they have done anything of the sort.
Stephenie Meyer is an author writing popular young adult novels. I don't care if they sell well, I'm no publisher. I simply like it when authors cater to my tastes and Stephenie has not done anything of the sort. It means I'm going to whine about it all the time instead of enjoying authors that do caters to my tastes.

Tagg9

2.) No used games

Even if Microsoft is actually implementing everything you mentioned, you can bet your ass they won't announce it at their first press conference. They'll certainly tell developers, but it's not the kind of thing they will be shouting from the rooftops.

DEADEVIL

That's cool, but I'm glad they cater to mine, as I'm a huge fan of their big franchises and the gems on XBLA.

But, again every console doent appeal to every gamer. Just like every game on someone preferred console isnt going to appeal to every gamer, whether is an exclusive or new IP.

You're ok with always online? Not sure about hat,seems pretty ridiculous to have that.

Izick

I like when Microsoft is into publishing and creating IP's too, as my tastes tend to lean a lot more towards Western style of game-development. That's why I bought an Xbox, and that's why I bought a 360. It was because I felt like the exclusives for the 360 were going to be better for me than what Sony or Nintendo would offer.

I honestly think that Microsoft is ready to go back in the trenches and duke it out with Sony. I think that they like to shift resources to the future-console whenever the opportunity is best, and I actually think they've been doing a lot better job keeping the 360 alive than they did with the Xbox. While Forza Horizon, Halo 4, and (presumably) Gears Judgement don't cater to some people's tastes, they are still likely quality built, well-received games that people will enjoy a lot. They're not creative masterpieces, or system-sellers (well, maybe Halo 4 was) but they are pretty damn good for the last clip Microsoft has in its arsenal for the 360.

I personally don't think they will as I'm not sure what they took away from Perfect Dark HD as a reference for demand for the IP.

Even if they did it would, the game would exist to some because it's not a New IP.

PD HD didn't sell well? I guess they could see that as lack of interest, but I think they might give it another shot if the promise is there. Also people may not see that as a new IP, but who really cares. There are just some people who will never be happy.

onipex

False.

Kinect has only been out for 2 years and 3 month and averaged 12 million Kinects sold a year.

What sales 'Cliff' are you talking about ?

So Kinect is a joke because of Star Wars Kinect which outsold every single Sony release in retail last year. So does that mean that Playstation game sales fell of a cliff?

You are pretending it only sold for 'One' holiday season, but it is a fact that Kinect sold a million units on Black friday the following year. You might want to revise your statement.

You got Rare's Kinect Sports that is 5 million plus in two years with the sequel the very next year over 2 million. You have 10 games that are over a million sold on Kinect when you can't name one game Move game that sold over a million.

Kinect is for the casual just like the Wii. Which is why the 100 million install of the Wii is now turned into a JUST DANCE machine.

Unfortunately for the current Wii-U, Just dance's #2 selling crowd is now on the 360, which sold over a million in it's Kinect debut and the last one barely sold on either the Wii-U or the PS3.

Kinect has been a flat-out success for MS. It's the #1 motion control peripheral right now and they are improving it next gen.

With Nintendo unable to counter Kinect and the upgrade of the system, the migration of the casual crowd to the next gen may have a shot to still lean toward MS.

The Just Dance crowd is still on the Wii since it still sells best on it. Microsoft built their own dance audience before they got Just Dance ports and those people happen to like Just Dance as well.

Getting the "casual crowd" to buy the Xbox 3 for the new Kinect will be just as hard as Nintendo trying to sell them on their new console. Maybe even harder since they only had it the first Kinect for two years at the most. Microsoft does have a shot though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Stephenie Meyer is an author writing popular young adult novels. I don't care if they sell well, I'm no publisher. I simply like it when authors cater to my tastes and Stephenie has not done anything of the sort. It means I'm going to whine about it all the time instead of enjoying authors that do caters to my tastes.

Your analogy misses the point completely. It's not that I can't ignore Kinect software. It's just that the entire company has seemingly set it's sights on that new particular demographic.

szaromir

Banned
Your analogy misses the point completely. It's not that I can't ignore Kinect software. It's just that the entire company has seemingly set it's sights on that new particular demographic.
Now tell me about those Kinect features in Microsoft's games published last year.

You're ok with always online? Not sure about hat,seems pretty ridiculous to have that.

I play Diablo and World of Warcraft. I'm OK with it. I've owned a PS3 and 360 since launch and have maybe played them each 4 or 5 times without being online. I don't mind the change. I don't like the change, but I don't mind it. Now ask me again when my Internet goes down how I feel. It seems ridiculous to limit a player's ability to play his games on whether or not he has an internet connection. I can think of numerous occasions when it wouldn't be possible to play while connected. Seems like a needless change that only serves to benefit Microsoft in some way. I fail to see how it will benefit me as the consumer, but that's Microsoft's job to convince me.

How much Kinect focus did 38 Studios have when they made Halo? How about Forza? How about Ms Splosion Man? Alan Wake American Nightmare? Far be it from me to deny you your boogeyman, but it won't stop me from chuckling at you for believing in the boogeyman.

Bgamer90

Banned
They don't have a strategy that makes sense, I'll tell you that much. A console that tries to do everything out of the box will do nothing particularly well. It's going to be a focus tested nightmare. They're going to pack in a device that hardcore gamers hate with a passion and casual gamers have zero incentive to upgrade to given the price and the age of the Kinect for the 360 they just bought.

Heh, the fact that MS' console will have next-gen (core) 3rd party games alone goes completely against that.

Izick

I'm online 99% of the time, but I don't like the idea of always online. It's just too restrictive for an entire console.

What are the benefits of always-online verses the standard model?

DEADEVIL

But you are lending evidence that your are the one that didn't see E3 this year.

Microsoft promoted it's biggest games from Hardcore, Kinect, and XBLA. It also promoted what was new on Xbox live and it's new capabilities like Smart Glass.

But, like most you pretend that the conference was only about Kinect.

Tha's like saying Sony throws the hardcore a bone by throwing a few hardcore games, but the whole conference was about Wonderbook.

Wouldn't it be a pretty silly to claim that Sony's conference threw the hardcore a bone with Killzone 4 and tech demos, but the conference was mainly about casual games like Knack and Media molecule's casual Move game?

But according to you thats exactly what they did.

Bgamer90

Banned
This literally makes zero sense.

Not only is the negativity surrounding the next Xbox pretty much self contained within the most hardcore of the hardcore, but as you said, it's based on rumors. How exactly are negative rumors going to effect Microsoft once they actually unveil the console and replace the rumors with actual facts?

Exactly.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The entire company? Really?

It's a feeling I get from the Xbox department at least. Like they are completely passing me by.

A focus on apps and multimedia features that don't even have the courtesy of launching in my country or are stuck behind the paywall, sequels of the same franchises i'm currently tired of and a whole lot of Kinect. The last 3 E3's really made me wonder why I still have a 360 hooked up.

There's absolute truth in the statement that XBLA has been bringing a ton of quality titles to the market though, so at least there's that. I just hope that with their next console they refocus a little bit on some solid new IP's and features that have the gamer in mind, not the masses.

It's a feeling I get from the Xbox department at least. Like they are completely passing me by.

A focus on apps and multimedia features that don't even have the courtesy of launching in my country or are stuck behind the paywall, sequels of the same franchises i'm currently tired of and a whole lot of Kinect. The last 3 E3's really made me wonder why I still have a 360 hooked up.

There's absolute truth in the statement that XBLA has been bringing a ton of quality titles to the market though, so at least there's that. I just hope that with their next console they refocus a little bit on some solid new IP's and features that have the gamer in mind, not the masses.

See you and others are basing next gen on what is happening late in this gen. That is not the correct way to look at it. 360 already had it's life so releasing those sequels and other apps are just things that happen late in a cycle. In a new gen you start over and need to prove yourself again.

Flakster99

If Microsoft announces japan centric software (jrpgs), like they did with the 360, even if it's only for a few years, I'm more than likely all in.

Bgamer90

Banned

I think too many on basing how the new console will be on what MS had to do with an almost 10 year old console to continue on selling it to people who still don't have one yet.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think too many on basing how the new console will be on what MS had to do with an almost 10 year old console to continue on selling it to people who still don't have one yet.

They don't have to do shit. They choose to.
Sony does just fine, still cranking out major new IP exclusives for PS3 this year.

I just have my doubts on Microsoft casting that cashcow aside with a new console. I'd be delighted if they were able to refocus on the core but who knows nowadays. The rumors aren't doing them any favors either.

They don't have to do shit. They choose to.
Sony does just fine, still cranking out major new IP exclusives for PS3 this year.

I just have my doubts on Microsoft casting that cashcow aside with a new console. I'd be delighted if they were able to refocus on the core but who knows nowadays. The rumors aren't doing them any favors either.

Sony puts those put because they have to,they are playing catch up. Plus they had their studios set for a long time,MS has many new studios that are new.

Top Bottom