• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If You Could Erase One Thing from Gaming History, What Would It Be?

kunonabi

Easy answer:

91sDTFzts8L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Yep, this was mine too.

GHound

Gold Member
There really are entirely too many things to be able to decide definitively but game journos are the easiest option and have been directly and indirectly responsible for a lot of bullshit so that will just be my preliminary answer yeah.

There really are entirely too many things to be able to decide definitively but game journos are the easiest option and have been directly and indirectly responsible for a lot of bullshit so that will just be my preliminary answer yeah.
The amount of games series that have been dumbed down or killed altogether because game journos are too retarded to play video games is too numerous to count.

ahtlas7

Came here to say DEI but since it’s considered culture waring now I’ll have to change my answer to, wait just a second,
Rose Colored Glasses Bias GIF
there, my answer: nothing. The industry is just fine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Internet age of video game marketing lead to massive bullshot videos and images.

And with most gamers hooked up online, mandatory patches and updates since the game was rushed to launch. And always online (even for a SP mode). Some games dont even have all the content on disc, so you got to download the rest of it. or they just want always online to make sure they have the opportunity to sell you DLC and mtx with pop up boxes and links to the e-store.

Last edited:

Hypereides

Gold Member
1 thing? Okay, then I'll pick one item: the whole smorgasbord containing all the shit that plagues gaming today.

This is the smorgasbord:
  • Microtransactions
  • Imposed subscription services
  • Gacha mobile games
  • Political correctness
  • Insolent and incompetent gaming press
  • "Design by committee" games
  • Lack of innovation/originality/identity and pure imagination
  • Brain drain (in AAA)
  • GAAS

Last edited:

Fredrik

If exclusives would be erased and all things related to that, would Commodore still be around then?

Then that.

Plus, exclusives only turn people into douchebags so you can’t have a normal conversation, there is almost no unbiased gaming talks nowdays, very tiresome.

But not sure what would’ve happened if there was no Mario or NES since that’s all about exclusivity.
NES is said to have saved the gaming industry.

But I played on Spectrum and C64 before I played on NES and was perfectly fine with that, so idk 🤷‍♂️

EA buying BioWare would definitely be up there. Although I think by then BioWare had already been bought by a private equity company so a sale was inevitable.
We could have had a BG3 like Dragon Age RPG from BioWare probably ten years before BG3 came out.

Paltheos

This is an easier question than you think (or are letting on). I think allot of people would be glad to get rid of the game along with the thing they don't like in it.

For me, that answer would be Oscar-bait video games - AAA games that promise a mature, cinematic experience and skimp on the actual gameplay. So basically everything Naughty Dog's made for the past 15 years, as I blame them for this trend. Losing Naughty Dog would of course also mean losing Jak & Daxter, but I think that's a sacrifice worth making for the greater good.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Just to see what would happen, something foundational like:

- Ultima, Wizardry or Dragon Quest
- Super Mario Bros
- Tetris
- Doom

Hell, so much of our gaming lexicon and design philosophies come from DND. So let's delete Dungeons & Dragons.

Top Bottom