• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackano

RUMOR] Release date of BoTW AND NX accidentally leaked by french Nintendo!!! On March 4th 2017!!!

It's likely a mistake.
1/ Web teams unlikely to know the exact date so soon before the actual date. Probably isn't even set for Europe yet.
2/ European dates always are on Friday, not Saturdays

Hydrus

So what are the chances of Nintendo announcing they are pushing up the release date and its now releasing in November? 10%?

I'm getting more convinced that Nintendo is abandoning the home console market.

This:

NX is a portable device you can dock to your TV and play games (confirmed by their own sources & NX developers)

If true, pretty much confirm my assumption. It might be a hybrid and you can play it on the TV but, in essence, it'll be a portable system. It'll be similar to the GCN Game Boy Player, but detachable and with (far) more features. I doubt most third-parties, outside of Japan, will be willing to support it basing on how 3DS destroyed Vita but it was overlooked by most western devs, anyway.

I hope I'm wrong, but the rumors are leading me to this belief.

Compsiox

Banned
You'll be able to plug it into a PC via USB and run NX games on your PC off of it (acts like a HDD) through a program.

I hope I'm right.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Zelda isn't coming out until 2017 now? Oh, Nintendo. Good thing I don't play games anymore, so I can wait.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda isn't coming out until 2017 now? Oh, Nintendo. Good thing I don't play games anymore, so I can wait.

I believe the delay was announced in winter or spring of this year. Perhaps March or April. I think we learned that at the same time we learned that NX is releasing March 2017.

What does reboot mean in this case. A low tier product? If Sean Maelstrom were still alive I wonder what he would think.

Maelstrom is still posting on his blog. Still fun to read, he makes a good observation or two to every dozen questionable ones, and those are at least amusing to read.

I'm surprised people are turned off by the idea of a hybrid. Doesn't Zelda BotW being on NX confirm that whatever console game you're holding out for from Nintendo IS possible on the alleged hybrid?

I guess I see it less as abandoning the home console space, and more that handheld tech has just caught up to what Nintendo needs. Makes total sense to focus all developer cylinders on NX, and consumers get their Pokemons and their Zeldas on one device

AzaK

I'm surprised people are turned off by the idea of a hybrid. Doesn't Zelda BotW being on NX confirm that whatever console game you're holding out for from Nintendo IS possible on the alleged hybrid?

I guess I see it less as abandoning the home console space, and more that handheld tech has just caught up to what Nintendo needs. Makes total sense to focus all developer cylinders on NX, and consumers get their Pokemons and their Zeldas on one device

The reason I don't want a hybrid is that I don't play HH games. When I game I want to sit down on a big TV and get immersed. Sure, if I'm playing BotW and someone wanted to use the TV maybe I would play a off TV if I was right in the middle of something. But probably I'd just ask them to wait or come back to it later.

Therefore, Nintendo spending money on a screen and mobile tech is just wasted money for me.

Instro

The reason I don't want a hybrid is that I don't play HH games. When I game I want to sit down on a big TV and get immersed. Sure, if I'm playing BotW and someone wanted to use the TV maybe I would play a off TV if I was right in the middle of something. But probably I'd just ask them to wait or come back to it later.

Therefore, Nintendo spending money on a screen and mobile tech is just wasted money for me.

This. All this stuff about the controls is not appealing at all either. Being stuck with substandard visuals and sub 1080p is not exciting.

mitchlol

I really hope the circle pad thing isn't true... I was scared to play Smash on my N3DS because I saw how many people destroyed their units.

I am pretty much the opposite. I enjoy handheld gaming more often and hooking up the NX to a tv is a bonus. Also Nintendo tends to make pretty good handhelds so this fit their strengths. If I had to guess, one reason to hook up to a tv might be for better local multiplayer.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well, I was right about them no longer making the announcement around TGS. These guys.

This. All this stuff about the controls is not appealing at all either. Being stuck with substandard visuals and sub 1080p is not exciting.

Good think gameplay is what matters to me the most than graphics.

Then again Super Mario Galaxy was one of the best and visually appealing looking game last gen. It blew most if not all the competition on outdated hardware.

So I don't see where the complaint over visuals is coming from especially when Nintendo isn't even going with a weak chip.

udivision

Good think gameplay is what matters to me the most than graphics.

Then again Super Mario Galaxy was one of the best and visually appealing looking game last gen. It blew most if not all the competition on outdated hardware.

So I don't see where the complaint over visuals is coming from especially when Nintendo isn't even going with a weak chip.

For some people, the controls for some Nintendo games do more damage than the weak hardware. That can be a gameplay issue.

Davey Cakes

Nintendo just don't care
I think they care too much. As in, they want to get it right so they're taking their time.

This whole narrative of "Nintendo needs to reveal the system NOW" is propagated by the dedicated enthusiasts, not the full audience that Nintendo is going for with NX.

When the company is ready to show EVERYBODY, it'll do so. That includes us impatient fans, too. Until then, we wait. Period.

Taker666

Same. I'd much sooner just buy a small box that played NX games purely on a tv for $150...than hybrid with the same power but handheld aspect for $250. If I'm spending $250 then I'd want that $250 spent purely on the home console side of things.

The NX concept as rumoured is worse to me than Wii U (outside of carts and power bump)...as at least Wii U actually gave a use for the second screen (for some games at least). If the second screen does nothing when you're playing on tv, then it's a pointless additional expense.

The whole problem with a hybrid is you're either getting a device that's underpowered and overpriced (for the tech you get) for the home console market....or a powerful handheld that prices itself out of the traditional handheld market (or perhaps even both).

Hilarion

A portable system with Japanese support is basically my ideal platform. It'd get me to the position where I'd never have to have a TV again, which is where I want to be. I hate that the console/PC gaming experience is tied to being in a specific place. I was portable only in the 2000s with the DS and I went two years portable only with the 3DS, I'm looking forward to going portable only again with the NX.

The NES Mini is still way too expensive for what it is.

It's a mass market trinket that's priced exactly as it needs to be (plus ignoring manufacturing costs and the controller it comes with that's still 2 bucks a game).

So when you look at it THAT way, that person is thinking prices will start at less than 2 bucks for NES games.

Speely

Banned

I get that, and I respect your outlook on games. I think a lot of enthusiast gamers share that outlook. Not to be snarky, but you are not representative of the much larger market Nintendo seems to be targeting. Sony and MS (and the PC) pretty much have the "sit at home and be immersed" market sown up tight. It makes no sense for Nintendo to continue sucking hind tit there. They are going for another Wii, not in regard to hardware specifics, but in regard to mass market viability. In that sense, Sony and Microsoft have not only captured the power-console market, but they also both have upcoming iterations that pretty much ensure their dominance in the home console space.

Nintendo cannot compete in that arena. At all. They are a game company. It seems to me that they are going for affordability, versatility, and ubiquity over a singular, powerful home experience. Luckily, they make some of the best games that have ever been made and are not afraid of taking chances, so they can make this kind of thing work if they execute it well.

It makes a lot of sense for what kind of company Nintendo is, imo.

Hilarion

Sony had two devices, noticed that their console line was a success while their handheld line was a failure, killed off the latter.

Nintendo is in the opposite situation, but it's killing off its unsuccessful console line in favor of its very successful handheld line.

This makes perfect sense and is probably their only winning play. I might be biased as a devoted handheld > console person, but I couldn't imagine how Nintendo could look at their current situation and not decide to consolidate behind a successor to the 60 million selling 3DS rather than the 12 million selling Wii U.

Exactly. People need to realise that the Gamecube was Nintendo's last attempt of a powerful gaming machine. The market spoke and Nintendo got the message, only a portion of non-HH gaming fans didn't: You're simply not a mass market, and thus not sufficient.
Instead of hoping for Nintendo to join the arms race, just beg N to go 3rd party. That's far more likely than another Gamecube.

Instro

Franz Brötchen;217211898 said:
Exactly. People need to realise that the Gamecube was Nintendo's last attempt of a powerful gaming machine. The market spoke and Nintendo got the message, only a portion of non-HH gaming fans didn't: You're simply not a mass market, and thus not sufficient.
Instead of hoping for Nintendo to join the arms race, just beg N to go 3rd party. That's far more likely than another Gamecube.

Well yes, I would prefer that. I don't care about the "arms race" I just want their games to look good on my TV. The dedicated handheld market has one foot in the grave at the moment so I imagine this will be their last piece of hardware if it ends up selling worse than the 3DS.

I don't particularly understand the benefit to one hardware revenue stream here though. If they wanted a combined software pipeline, that doesn't require them being limited to targeting the handheld market only.

I don't care about the "arms race" I just want their games to look good on my TV.
"I don't want to be rich. But I would like to be able to afford all this expensive stuff."
This is just baffling to me. If you want N's games to look on par with the competition, and the competition is in the mentioned arms race, you want N to be in the arms race. Anything else is cognitively dissonant.

Also, I am not at all convinced that dedicated home consoles long-term are in any healthier position than dedicated HH. The moment Amazon or whoever releases a FIFA-CoD-Madden capable streaming box, PS5 and XBoxTwo are toast.
The whole industry will need to adapt to developments from outside.

Malus

Well yes, I would prefer that. I don't care about the "arms race" I just want their games to look good on my TV. The dedicated handheld market has one foot in the grave at the moment so I imagine this will be their last piece of hardware if it ends up selling worse than the 3DS.

I don't particularly understand the benefit to one hardware revenue stream here though. If they wanted a combined software pipeline, that doesn't require them being limited to targeting the handheld market only.

If there's no home console-like option in the future I'm guessing that they just can't be bothered to invest in producing and marketing a home platform after their most recent bomb.

PetrCobra

It's a mass market trinket that's priced exactly as it needs to be (plus ignoring manufacturing costs and the controller it comes with that's still 2 bucks a game).

So when you look at it THAT way, that person is thinking prices will start at less than 2 bucks for NES games.

Yeah. My thinking is, 2 bucks for a NES game is still ridiculously expensive in the year 2016.

But sure, if anyone's fine with paying that, let them go right ahead. I'm just saying that I'm not jumping on that bandwagon when I'm able to get a bundle of several excellent games, old or new, for a few dollars in places like GoG and Humble Bundle.

Davey Cakes

Sony had two devices, noticed that their console line was a success while their handheld line was a failure, killed off the latter.

Nintendo is in the opposite situation, but it's killing off its unsuccessful console line in favor of its very successful handheld line.

This makes perfect sense and is probably their only winning play. I might be biased as a devoted handheld > console person, but I couldn't imagine how Nintendo could look at their current situation and not decide to consolidate behind a successor to the 60 million selling 3DS rather than the 12 million selling Wii U.
I'm a console gamer primarily but I absolutely agree with you and I'm fine with it.

Nintendo had to make a choice and the sales numbers speak volumes. Their best bet is handheld with mobile integration. TV-out is a nice bone to throw the console-oriented players. I'm thrilled at the idea of a hybrid because there was no way Nintendo was going to fit in with the power race going on between Microsoft and Sony.

Also, put me in the camp that's happy with Nintendo avoiding the race to release a better mid-generation system. The whole PS4 Pro vs. Scorpio thing is completely un-Nintendo. If they can fit in their own bubble and self-sustain then GOOD.

Yeah. My thinking is, 2 bucks for a NES game is still ridiculously expensive in the year 2016.

But sure, if anyone's fine with paying that, let them go right ahead. I'm just saying that I'm not jumping on that bandwagon when I'm able to get a bundle of several excellent games, old or new, for a few dollars in places like GoG and Humble Bundle.

The fact that VC is still a viable stream of revenue even at the price they are in this.

The year 2016.

Means a lot of people will probably be more than okay with playing old games at an even lower price. A price that is not expensive by a long shot. You can get a bunch of newer indie games for a few bucks, but you're not getting NES games for a few bucks. That's sort of the whole point.

Hilarion

Well, that gets back to my comparison to Sony realizing that the PS4 was healthy and the PSV wasn't, so they axed the PSV and threw full support behind PS4.

Nintendo is doing the opposite. The 3DS is the most successful dedicated video system on the market at 60 million units to the PS4's ~42 million, and while the PS4 will eventually overtake it, it's unclear whether the XBox1 even by the end of its lifespan will touch the 3DS. The Wii U, by comparison, has been a disaster.

Why bank on a successor to the Wii U when you can bank on a successor to the 3DS, a system that is still selling large amounts of software despite being absolutely archaic? The NX is going to be the largest jump over the 3DS in system generational jump history...its GPU is going to be something like 100x stronger than the 3DS' and, given the 3DS' ridiculously weak CPU, that measure is probably even more ridiculous. Nintendo's portable is going to go from a 240p system that struggles to match the PS2 (with, admittedly, far more RAM than the PS2), to a 720p system that more than doubles the PS3 (with far more RAM than the PS3).

This strategy makes a ton of sense and is probably the only successful route Nintendo could take. The DS was indisputably its most successful system of all time (as much as people ignore it when they talk about the "Wii Era," the DS was even more important). Just as the DS pioneered a lot of stuff that cell phones later took advantage of, Nintendo could take advantage of the current widespread proliferation of tablets to market a larger, non-pocket-based handheld and stuff some actual computing power into it. I don't see why a Nintendo tablet with compelling software couldn't reach wide market proliferation, presumably with software like Cooking Mama and Nintendogs revived to help push it as a "more than a gaming tablet" into more conventional households.

Several of Nintendo's best titles ever are things like Brain Age and Nintendogs which don't even really qualify as video games. Brain Age is one of my favorite titles anyone has ever put out and, as much as people on NeoGAF sneer at it, I think it and Nintendogs have serious potential as fronts in Nintendo's push back towards the mainstream. Enough time has passed that people can be persuaded by a nostalgia push towards them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom